• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And lo, Sony has a de-facto monopoly on anime distribution outside of Asia. Sentai/HiDive, All The Anime and basically every other anime distributor days are numbered, and I expect the end result will make the anime industry reliant on China (even more than it already is) as Sony will inevitably reduce the amount of money it spends on licensing third party productions.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
And lo, Sony has a de-facto monopoly on anime distribution outside of Asia. Sentai/HiDive, All The Anime and basically every other anime distributor days are numbered, and I expect the end result will make the anime industry reliant on China (even more than it already is) as Sony will inevitably reduce the amount of money it spends on licensing third party productions.

? I mean they both license anime, but that's hardly all the anime outside of Asia. It may be the majority (for now), but we still have Netflix, for instance. It's not like they own every single title they currently stream.

I can't really see them just combining the libraries and not raising the price, you'd think they would lose a lot of money doing that from all the people who keep two subs. And I really hope they don't just do sub/dub separation between the services, that would suck. Also I was looking forward to watching Jujutsu Kaisen on Max, and now who knows if that'll even all be put up there.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Gonna have to dig through my VRV queue and get through any HIDIVE shows before the service shuts down.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Sony right now:

vTQlG5k.gif

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with a more consolidated anime service. I guess at&t unlimited people got vrv for free though? I didn't know that. I've been subbed to crunchy roll.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Good for Sony.

... Now hurry up and combine the fucking subscriptions! Fix the wrong you committed a couple years ago. I'm tired of paying for a double subscription to get access to content I already had access to before you got involved with Funimation.

Also take this opportunity to use the Crunchyroll tech to trash the Funimation website. CR isn't perfect techwise... But it's a hell of a lot better than bare minimum that Funimation came up with.

As for AT&T, I still can't believe they thought they would ever get their original 5B asking price. 1B is a lot more reasonable for what Crunchyroll is.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I like this purchase by Sony. They cannot scale to compete with Netflix, Warner, Disney, Universal, but they can carve themselves a niche with Anime, whether for a future acquisition target by a bigger fish or not.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So Sony would own Funimation, Aniplex and Crunchyroll. Jeez.

Seeing people on twitter in the Western anime business (translation, home media, etc.) saying this is a potentially bad thing for anime.
So basically Sony would have control of Funimation, Aniplex, and now Crunchyroll. Barring Netflix, wouldn't that be a near monopoly for anime-streaming?
Not anime but they also have crackle.

I wonder if they will all operate differently with different catalogues and whether they will have a sub that offers everything.