• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
TOKYO -- Sony has entered into final negotiations to acquire U.S. anime-streaming service Crunchyroll, Nikkei learned on Friday, a deal that could catapult the Japanese icon into a global battle with the likes of Netflix.

Sony could end up spending more than 100 billion yen ($957 million) on the U.S. streamer, gaining its 70 million members around the world.

Crunchyroll has 70 million free members and 3 million paying subscribers in more than 200 countries and regions, including the U.S. and Europe.

Crunchyroll would also give Sony more than 1,000 titles that it can use to vary its offerings.

Sony has its own popular anime, titles like "Demon Slayer" and "Kimetsu no Yaiba," but has been licensing it to streaming services. Sony's Aniplex, the studio behind "Kimetsu no Yaiba," has a variety of content, including movies and music, that is mainly distributed by overseas companies.

According to The Association of Japanese Animations, the global anime market in 2018 was worth about $21 billion, 1.5 times that of five years earlier. The overseas market accounts for nearly half of total demand.

asia.nikkei.com

Sony nears acquisition of US anime streaming service Crunchyroll

Entertainment giant could pay more than $950m as talks wind up with parent AT&T
(open incognito mode to view the article)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
mqdefault.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Sony already owns both Demon Slayer and Kimetsu no Yaiba? They practically have a monopoly already!

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Sony has its own popular anime, titles like "Demon Slayer" and "Kimetsu no Yaiba,""
yeah_eddie_murphy.gif

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Sony is becoming a major player in anime. If this deal goes through they'll own the following:

Aniplex (Animation studio)
Bibili (Chinese company, Sony have a minor stake in it)
Crunchyroll
Funimation

It'll be interesting to see what they continue to do. I could definitely see them continue acquiring companies for IP-based content, for example, Kadokawa or Shounen Jump.(Obviously won't happen, but the only example I can think of)
It's going to be interesting to see how Sony plays into the anime industry during the upcoming years.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Sony have been going after that anime crown for a bit now

I wouldn't be shocked if they go after a major anime/manga publisher next

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
If it means I can have Crunchyroll and Funimation on the same sub again, I'm down.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I've said it before, but if this makes the streaming services go back to the Crunchy/Funi deal I'd be happy. Funi gets the dubs, Crunchy keeps the subs. It was perfect back then. It's like the Funi app was made for that and they never updated it when the deal ended. Really sucks.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If they get CR they would basically own the overseas anime market .
Going to be interesting to see what happens .

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Demon Slayer, is Kimetsu no Yaiba any good?

They're the same thing.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I think Sony's next purchase will be Kadokawa after Bluepoint and Housemarque.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
1/8th-ish of a Bethesda.

My mind immediately jumped to "CrunchyRoll exclusive to Sony devices" but exclusive it's has been more ambiguous and uncertain these past few years.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, but if this makes the streaming services go back to the Crunchy/Funi deal I'd be happy. Funi gets the dubs, Crunchy keeps the subs. It was perfect back then. It's like the Funi app was made for that and they never updated it when the deal ended. Really sucks.
Sony does not need two different anime subscription services. At least one will be subsumed into the other.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
1/8th-ish of a Bethesda.

My mind immediately jumped to "CrunchyRoll exclusive to Sony devices" but exclusive it's has been more ambiguous and uncertain these past few years.
It's a video streaming service, why on earth would they make it exclusive?

This has nothing to do with Bethesda -___-

Oct 25, 2017
Never knew they were worth that much

Given how much it's costing these services to produce and acquire content, it seems within the ballpark. Crunchyroll as a brand is synonymous with anime, and then you get all their licensing deals as part of it. Sony can basically take it over and not have to do much of anything, and boom they have a niche market for streaming revenue

Dr. Rank

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that would give them a huge percentage of the US anime market. I would imagine that they will merge the companies or have 1 focus just on streaming and 1 on home video.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Still seems expensive but absolutely required to become the world leader in anime.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking anime.
1/8th-ish of a Bethesda.

...wtf is this. This isn't about video games at all lol. Ofc crunchyroll isn't gonna exclusive on Sony devices. Why would you think that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's not a lot of streaming services or distribution services and Sony is going to be the majority owner of anime distribution in the west and I do not like this.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sony sweetened the pot, free ps5s for the board
finance.yahoo.com

AT&T looks to sell Xandr ad unit - source

The discussions come as AT&T's new chief executive, John Stankey, reviews the conglomerate's assets in a possible bid to reduce debt by selling off some noncore holdings. The company intends to keep Crunchyroll, the popular anime streaming site, as it fits its content strategy, the source...

Preorders sold out between this post and the new news. Someone didnt wanna disappoint this holiday on the board