• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Source: https://exputer.com/news/industry/sony-elastic-improve-haptic-feedback/

Sony's PS5 DualSense Edge Controller
Sony's PS5 DualSense Edge Controller

Story Highlights
  • Sony has published a new patent that concerns a new deformable elastic sensor or gel-like material to replace the plastic used in PlayStation controllers; it is to improve haptic feedback.
  • The document also discusses emulating temperature in the controllers to reflect gameplay using the new material. For example, a hot in-game item could make the controller warm to the touch.
  • The vibrations will travel better through the controller using the elastic material, and Sony discusses using AI to make the experience more natural.
Sony has published a new patent that discusses improvements to the haptic feedback feature and the ability to emulate the controller temperature to reflect gameplay moments. It mentions a deformable elastic sensor as well to replace the current plastic material used in PlayStation controllers. The change in sensors will reportedly improve the haptic feedback feature in the current controllers because of utilizing the gel-like material.

The shape or hardness of the portions of the elastic members 11 (grips) changes in response to a process performed by the information processing apparatus 2 such as a game, which makes it possible, for example, to present the material of a virtual object in a game space to the user as a haptic sensation, present the temperature of the virtual object as a warm/cold sense, or the like.

The controller could also emulate different changes in temperature to reflect the in-game virtual items in haptic feedback. For instance, a hot in-game material could make the controller mimic a mildly high temperature. The "Peltier element" would be included in the controller, which is able to electrically change its temperature to add another level of immersion in the haptic feedback feature and video games because of the new technology.

The image showcases the implementation of deformable elastic member in controllers.
The image showcases the implementation of the deformable elastic members in controllers.
Delving into the specifics, the patent dubbed "CONTROLLER" will use an electric signal that will flow through the deformable elastic member. It will detect the users' touches to output electric signals depending on how much the sensor material was deformed. Thus, the vibrations will travel better through the new elastic material. The patent deeply discusses the deformable elastic material, and how it will "enrich haptic experiences."

This sensor detects user's contact with or deforming action of the elastic member and outputs an electric signal based on the detected contact or deforming action in question."

Shows an example diagram revealing an arrangement of the elastic member in the controller.
Shows an example diagram revealing an arrangement of the elastic member in the controller.

The elastic sensors could be based on various flexible materials, "such as a macromolecular gel material, examples of which are silicone-based macromolecular gel materials and urethane-based gel materials, and various elastomer materials." Additionally, the controller could also utilize artificial muscles or soft actuators in the elastic member to ensure a smooth and organic experience during gameplay sessions, as mentioned.
Sony briefly states using AI to automatically recognize the severity of deformation. It will be recorded to naturally create haptic feedback in the controller depending on the pressure. The elastic sensor will feel the user's touches, pinching, twisting, and other similar actions that will result in deformations of the material. All the actions performed by the user will be sensed by the controller utilizing innovative technology.

The patent also raises a concern with the elastic member trigger; deformation by a user may cause difficulty in locating its original shape and position while playing a game. In other words, it may become difficult to find the up and down directions of the control because of the change in shape; Sony provides a solution for it. The button will adopt the egg-like elliptical shape to fit in the user's hand nicely.
The natural shape of the elastic member 11 may be asymmetric. For example, if the elastic member 11 is elliptical (what is generally called an egg-shaped) having, for example, a slightly thinner front, it becomes easy to recognize the up and down directions of the controller 1."

Shows an example diagram revealing the external view of an arrangement of the elastic member in the controller.
Shows an example diagram revealing the external view of an arrangement of the elastic member in the controller.
The ability to mimic different temperatures to reflect gameplay moments is quite a major feat, and it hasn't been seen in the controllers for now. Moreover, the flexible elastic member will enhance the user experience during a gameplay session, while only serving to improve the haptic feedback feature due to a lack of hard plastic. Sony could fully change the way controllers work by enhancing the haptic feedback to become even more natural.

Sony is renowned for patenting wild ideas before its competitors, as it is among the leading figures in innovating on existing technologies. It recently published a patent to improve the voice chat feature in games for disabled users, and it is also exploring the idea of personalizing game narration and difficulty for each user.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
yeah the worst part of shadow of the tomb raider for me was when lara grabbed some rocks on a lava temple and i didnt even burn my real hands

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
At this point we need to make a patent megathread lol

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if somebody's batteries could cause a fire from a feature like this.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
How about hall effect sticks and triggers that are more reliable first

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
It's already been said, but how about just improving the battery life on the features we already have, yea Sony?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
glorius 2 hour battery. can they add water squirting functionality as well whike there at it

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't even the first time I can remember them patenting temperature changing controllers. From a decade ago:

www.gameinformer.com

Sony Patents Controller That Changes Temperature

Sony patented a version of its Move controller recently that will apparently heat up and cool down depending on what's happening in the game.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I remember that old patent they had about changing temperatures in controllers. Interesting they're still looking into it. Heh, would be cool if the PS6 controller had the feature, as well as the controllers for the PSVR3

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
am I the only one who's unironically excited for this? they're obviously gonna make sure the controller can't burn itself and it sounds like a cool and immersive feature

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who gets warm and sweaty hands whilst playing, I'd stick it on perma-frost mode.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
I for one can't wait for my hands to get frostbite the next time I'm trudging through snow in a game.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
am I the only one who's unironically excited for this? they're obviously gonna make sure the controller can't burn itself and it sounds like a cool and immersive feature
Yes. No fun allowed. Won't someone think of the battery life.

Interesting concept on the evolution of Controllers. The extra rumble and trigger features are a nice step but we need to take it to the next level. To feel more and more of the game is such an exciting prospect.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. No fun allowed. Won't someone think of the battery life.

Interesting concept on the evolution of Controllers. The extra rumble and trigger features are a nice step but we need to take it to the next level. To feel more and more of the game is such an exciting prospect.

Era really should be forbidden of using "no fun allowed", none of you know how to do it

God forbid someone who doesnt want some experimental patent to be true, YOU HATE FUUUUUUUUN

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
all I ask for is ergonomy or DS4 compatibility and I can't even get either of those. meanwhile motherfuckers are out there making controllers that shoot goo at you when your character is attacked by monsters.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Can they first nail making a controller that doesn't squeak using just regular plastic? Then they can start to experiment with funny materials.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Era really should be forbidden of using "no fun allowed", none of you know how to do it

God forbid someone who doesnt want some experimental patent to be true, YOU HATE FUUUUUUUUN
Then they don't need to shit up threads. They can just not buy it. Won't affect them. How about some discussion around potential uses rather than just MY BATTERY LIFEZZZZZ

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I can't wait to get frostbite on my fingers when playing a game with extreme snow like Frostpunk.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can I just get a xbox styled controller first, before they go crazy (crazier) with gimmicks?

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Then they don't need to shit up threads. They can just not buy it. Won't affect them. How about some discussion around potential uses rather than just MY BATTERY LIFEZ

Buy what? This is a patent. Its not a product. You can't buy it no matter how much you like it either. Discussion also involves people not liking the concept rather than LMAO NO FUN ALLOWEDZ

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Buy what? This is a patent. Its not a product. You can't buy it no matter how much you like it either. Discussion also involves people not liking the concept rather than LMAO NO FUN ALLOWEDZ

And they are free to discuss not liking it, but without it being a real product we don't know what the battery life is on it. But considering it's just a patent, plenty of people are seemingly angry at something they sure can't buy.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the battery life could be 20 hours for all we know

maybe 100

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I am looking forward to the Kojima masterpiece incorporating this tech:

EGBnkcg.png

Now, you may think the T off the side is a mistake - that I ran out of space. But no:

62224fdb-869b-4bac-9d24-e801f444db7c_text.gif

Big Kojima fan don't be mad

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
More gimmicks to drain battery life :/ these patents always feel like things that sound cool in a tech demo but largely aren't used or wanted.