• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys!

It's your good pal bringing you what a I hope will be a cozy place to discuss anything PS1 related. You want to discuss about a certain game? You seek information or opinion on a possible future purchase? You want to share your collection with others? You think the PS1 port of San Francisco RUSH is terrible compared other versions and would like to share your feelings? This is the right place!

As a discussion starter, I'd like to point out that the PS1 has in my opinion the best library of JRPG you can ever find on any console:

ps1yfsxa.png

I need to update this picture since I've made significant acquisitions since then (Persona, Persona 2, etc). But yeah, I am a JRPG addict and to me, the golden age of JRPG was the PS1 era!

I am about to start a playthrough of Alundra. I never actually beat the game back in the days and would like to clear it once and for all. What should I expect?

*** OT UNDER CONSTRUCTION ***

Oct 27, 2017
Dope collection! I'm trying to slow down on collecting games, but PS1 games are usually the ones I'm most tempted to pickup. Growing up I was one of the few kids who had a PS1 while everyone else played N64s. My essential top 5 PS1 games are the FF trilogy, Ape Escape, and Tomba 2.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm going to continue my progress log of Alundra here.

at times my progress log may seem like i'm talking to myself w/ double or triple posts if there's no posts in between so please don't mind me. Alundra is so fun! Over on the other place, Morrigan Stark helped me get past a confusing puzzle, so many thanks for that =)

Psxdad

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite system ever. Have 102 black label complete games right now in my collection and still going. Also have some cool autographed items related to this system.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally got a chance to hook back up my ps1 last night to my normal BVM. i recently got a few additional PVMs so i was checking out Raiden Project psx in TATE mode on one of the new ones. since the ps1 was hooked to a CRT that i left sideways permanently for vertical shooters, i couldn't play Alundra till i moved the ps1 back to the other CRT.

Alundra progress log:
img_7464z0s5l.jpg

at the swamp dungeon. puzzles don't seem to be hard. pretty straight forward.
lots of traps though i think i'll be finishing this later today.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey all again, crossposting vertical and horizontal ps1 shooters now that i have a CRT dedicated for TATE =)

img_7465pngwdsgn.png
img_7477pngknss1.png

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i picked this up about a year ago,photobucket won't show the date i uploaded the pic to be sure.

i got it from a second hand shop that does house clearance in my local town,it didn't come with any pads but i have quite a few ps2 pads so i wasn't bothered.the only problem was the lid wouldn't shut so it wasn't tested,i asked the lady how much and she said i could take it,if i could fix it i keep it if it was broke i had to dispose of it.

i took it home and tried to look up a youtube video of how take it apart just to be sure of what i was doing,i couldn't find one only for the original shape ps1's.i gave it a go anyway and it turned out the open mechanism is all plastic parts and someone must have pushed too hard making it jam up.

i freed everything up put it back together and it worked perfectly,even the official sony lcd screen.being honest i went back to the shop and told the woman and asked how much she wanted for it (expecting to pay about £5 at most) but she said a deal is a deal and didn't want anything more.needless to say i go there every week now to look around and she greets me by my first name :)

i did have to pay for the games an memory cards obviously,all in for everything in that picture it cost me £3 i think it was.i have had other things off her since then like 2 sealed in box blue official ps2 controllers for £2 each.
31ufujaj63

Last edited:

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
anyone bought one of those chinese replacement laser units off ebay ?

i might not need it but wondering if there are any quality issues.

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best console ever IMO. So many great games.

Just bought another PS1 with 10 import JP games for about $50 last week. I still have to fix my laser from my US console (it came with the PSX picks AKA best demo disk ever).

Now I have some 40 games or so. Got some in bundles (7 JP games when I bought my PS2 earlier this year and now 10 more). Most of them are trash tier, but some really good games like Super Adventure Rockman, Unjammer Lammy, Tekken, Athena: Awakening from Ordinary life and Konami MSX collection vol. 2.

My US games are a tad better. Most of the I bought when a rental store closed and I bought almost all the good games (still bitter that I didn't have the money for BOF 3 at the time), but I went out with Parasite Eve, RE2, Rival Schools, Alundra and Ogre Battle.

Not going with a full collection or something like that, but I'd like to buy eventually some of my favourite rentals, like Blast Chamber, Philosoma, Trap Gunner and Tekken 3.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the only console I've owned which worked upside down.
yeah, i have to do that with my near dead OG ps1 =)
I played Parasite Eve for the first time this month, and boy what a game.
love that game! i'm going to tackle that soon after Alundra =)

Alundra progress log:
b8RUmN0m.jpg

Finally got a chance to get back to it after playing hours of shmups.
beat the swamp dungeon today.

ONHJDErm.jpg

got the fire scroll

GEJUjaqm.jpg

and sapphire crest.

none of the puzzles in this dungeon was as fierce as the desert one, that was tricky.
hope to beat it this week. back for more soon =)

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed it so far, but I can't help but feel it's using left over FF7 assets or something!
i thought Parasite Eve was really amazing and holds up pretty decent today. hope you're enjoying going through it.

Alundra progress log:
i got to this dungeon dream of Giles. Before this everything was going almost too easy. Just landed in a room with a much of switches
2QcBPKZm.jpg

the objective is to turn all the switches green

as i hop on a switch, each one has a set pattern of number switches turning on the grid.
JIiswbQm.jpg

but the blocks also turn back yellow if i hop another switch that overlaps another switch's pattern.

and think this i'm going to have trouble working this out unless i randomly get lucky to get them all green.

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
S video is the best video option for the PS1? My PS2 component cable won't work with my PS?

I was warming up to use my component PS2 to play my PS1 games, but my PSOne runs some games that my PS2 won't load.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The other day I played Fifa 99 on my Ps1, I remember playing it hours and hours each day and the real question is :

How the hell did I played that? Lmao game is absolutely terrible.

Played Tekken and Crash too, those hold up remarkably well.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been going through the library of PS1 music games recently on my stream. It's making me really miss the olden days of Konami music games where the music didn't have this really homogeneous sound among the beatmania IIDX games.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to say regarding the thread title, they dont look bad at all, on a PS Vita with anisotropic filtering , which makes a huge difference, especially on the small screen. ☻

PS: a good CRT tv or monitor would probably also make a huge difference, but I dont think I can get a hold of one. I do have a CRT tv, but it's pretty terrible tbh.

Last edited:

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Glad OP has Thousand Arms in his collection...that game was an absolute hidden gem! One of my favorites when I was real little. Took me a long time to remember what the name was when I was older, but had to buy it again off E-bay once I knew.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I'm thinking about getting a PS One to play some titles that aren't available on PSN. Should I get the optional screen with it or is there a better way to play these? I would love to have a BVM/PVM but haven't been able to find one locally. I have an old cheap CRT that's about 13" but it just has composite connection. So outside of a BVM/PVM, is the optional PS One screen the best way to play or is there something else I'm not aware of?

CountZero

Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
From what I've gotten from the MLIG videos, if you're going to play PS1 games on a modern TV, the OSSC is probably the best option to go with, as it sounds like handles resolution changes better. I've been planning to pick one up to help with streaming PS2 and PS1 games with my Elgato.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 is one of my favorite systems of all time. Replayed through Parasite Eve 2 earlier this year. It really is an amazing game.

CountZero

Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
I'm wondering - has anyone ever done accessibility patches for PS1 games to add subtitles to voiced cutscenes that didn't have them before, like with Xenogears?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
There are a lot of cheap japanese titles with FREE SHIPPING on ebay, and decided to try that. Ordered a copy of Street Fighter Ex Alpha for 11.72 USD. It arrived last week in very nice condition. I would order more games, but it took 11 months to arrive, and I don't even know if I'm going to be at the same address in 11 months, and there is a slight chance my workplace would move as well.

Managed to play the game last night, Skullomania is still GOAT.

Also, apparently it is a 480i game. Had no idea.

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up Xenogears last night. Played it on a SCPH-1001 and a 9001. It's kind of interesting how different they displayed. The 1001 was much bolder colorwise. It the 9001 was much sharper. Both played through s-video on a crt.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Finished up Xenogears last night. Played it on a SCPH-1001 and a 9001. It's kind of interesting how different they displayed. The 1001 was much bolder colorwise. It the 9001 was much sharper. Both played through s-video on a crt.
I'm going to start this soon on the vita. Played it back in the day but my disc got scratched and I couldn't finish it.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So I picked up an original Playstation and an RGB cable. The condition of the disc drive didn't seem to hot, but it's been able to play discs. Well, mostly. My PS2 had no problems with Xenogears but it struggled to play the opening FMV. I brushed off the disc and it seemed to have an easier time. Anyways, the visual quality coming out of the console blew me away. I think it actually might look a little better through the framemeister than being played on PS2 via component.

BUT!

It cannot play Megaman Legends. When I first booted it up, it went sort of nuts. There was a freeze frame from the opening FMV then it just started playing random voice files. After that, it couldn't get beyond the Capcom logo. I happened to have a new copy of Legends, so I put that in ... and nope. Both work just fine on my PS2. A PS1 that can't play all PS1 games!? What is going on here?

This is a Japanese PS1.

Edit: The PS1 died.

Last edited:

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
beautiful,i was lucky enough to get a psone and lcd screen for free nearly 5 years ago.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thanks guys!

finally grabbed a few ps1 titles the past week, finally found a nice box shape for Lunar 2. had it as a kid and wanted to rebuy it =)
GUBb23il.jpg

Vyb7qzCl.jpg

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, this is the thread I was looking for!! The PS1 is one of my all-time favourite consoles, I hope to be able to talk with others who also enjoy the console here!

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
Finally restarting collecting again.

FF91.jpg

FF92.jpg

FF93.jpg

Just got the first of my Silver backed variants in.

Got Final Fantasy VIII, Origins, Anthology and Crono Cross on the way.

Edit- In case you have no idea what these are. Square Enix reprinted Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy Anthology, and Crono Cross in the early 2000's and sold them on their web store. For whatever reason, they did not have them printed on Playstation black disks. Either Black disk production had already stopped or they just found this cheaper to do I'm not sure.

In any case, you can find them for cheap on ebay, sealed copies go for sub $20 all the time. You can tell it's them as they are Greatest Hits and labeled with Square Enix instead of Square Soft. Sealed copies also do not have the sticker seal at the top.

Super easy, cheap, and cool subset to collect.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finally restarting collecting again.

FF91.jpg

FF92.jpg

FF93.jpg

Just got the first of my Silver backed variants in.

Got Final Fantasy VIII, Origins, Anthology and Crono Cross on the way.

Edit- In case you have no idea what these are. Square Enix reprinted Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy Anthology, and Crono Cross in the early 2000's and sold them on their web store. For whatever reason, they did not have them printed on Playstation black disks. Either Black disk production had already stopped or they just found this cheaper to do I'm not sure.

In any case, you can find them for cheap on ebay, sealed copies go for sub $20 all the time. You can tell it's them as they are Greatest Hits and labeled with Square Enix instead of Square Soft. Sealed copies also do not have the sticker seal at the top.

Super easy, cheap, and cool subset to collect.
Wow, you learn something new every day! I had no idea there were official PS1 games without the black backs, I would have assumed that those were bootleg copies.