• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Some will, some won't. The market for a console @ $399 is by definition bigger than one @ $499.

Not necessarily, no. $399 might just mean Sony is taking a bigger loss to reach a bigger slice of the market faster. It makes more sense to lose more money to achieve a mainstream pricing, and I doubt they'd loss lead as far into $499. That is to say, I can see Sony doing a $500 console for $400; but maybe only a $530 console for $500. Will that $30 give you so much more that justifies crippling your reach? Probably not.

$600 console for $499.99 is the best case scenario for me. I know $399 has a bigger market, but $299 has a even bigger market so why not go there? I want something that isn't gimped day one like the PS4 was.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
$600 console for $499.99 is the best case scenario for me.

I doubt Sony would be willing to eat $100 on a console that they already priced out of the mainstream into a niche that is not as price sensitive anyways.

I know $399 has a bigger market, but $299 has a even bigger market so why not go there?

If the economics allowed it (i.e. price evolution of the stuff inside the console was fast enough that it would get out of the red relatively soon, the thing wouldn't tank Sony financials that badly short term, etc), that's probably something they'd look into doing.

Oct 25, 2017
Having a 499 beast at 399 just means Sony wil lost more money on the console for example and it is maybe because the console will stay longer at 399 dollars...

I could be wrong but I think they mean a $499 console being sold at $100 loss. A console that cost $499 to make won't be beast. That's only like $40 more than the PS4 cost at launch.

I doubt Sony would be willing to eat $100 on a console that they already priced out of the mainstream into a niche that is not as price sensitive anyways.

If the economics allowed it (i.e. price evolution of the stuff inside the console was fast enough that it would get out of the red relatively soon, the thing wouldn't tank Sony financials that badly short term, etc), that's probably something they'd look into doing.

They could do it right now. Just put out a piss weak box like the Switch. Obviously they have performance goals that prevent that. I just don't see how a console with Navi, Zen 2, top class SSD, hardware ray tracing and a sufficient amount of fast memory is going to sell for $399 without a MAJOR loss. If they can pull that off PS5 could be the GOAT.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I could be wrong but I think they mean a $499 console being sold at $100 loss. A console that cost $499 to make won't be beast. That's only like $40 more than the PS4 cost at launch.

I don't believe it this is wishful thinking. At one moment they will want to loss much less and with a 600 dollars to produce this is much more difficult if they decide to lost between 50 and 100 dollars it is for reaching 399 dollars price...

Maybe the console will be 499 dolalrs but they will lost much less than 100 dollars on the console maybe as much as for the PS4 20/30 dollars...

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I'm wondering if Sony are factoring in potential acquisitions into their FY2019 projections or if those are only taken into consideration when such a deal is completed.
If we follow the logic seen last year with Sony Music and the purchase of EMI, the forecast has been changed once the deal is done and has an impact on Operating Profit
The acquisition of a studio may be just put in "Capital Expenditures" and not affected the Operating Profit forecast but will later impact the ROIC

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If we follow the logic seen last year with Sony Music and the purchase of EMI, the forecast has been changed once the deal is done and has an impact on Operating Profit
The acquisition of a studio may be just put in "Capital Expenditures" and not affected the Operating Profit forecast but will later impact the ROIC

Nifty, thanks 😃

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious too.

Reading this thread reminded me of a few things:

By some metric the One X was selling more or better than the Pro, according to some folks with access to the sales numbers. I'm starting to question the metric that was used now. Not saying they were wrong, but what exactly was it being measured against.

And how much has the numbers changed since then.

How the PS4 is still selling better overall than the Switch. The posts that put the comparisons for this year up was eye opening.

While MS and Nintendo seem to dominate the news, chatter, etc Sony is just continuing to sell consoles at record paces.

Amazing. And it's relatively quiet for Sony right now, with an exclusive that didn't review well with critics, but me and many others love playing. And defying the odds with great sales.

What in the world, lol.
Where did you read that Xbone x was selling better than the Ps4 pro?

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Reading comprehension fail by me, specific metrics, word play.

Take your pick.
I wasn't trying to say that you were wrong, I was just asking curiously where you had heard it because it's just interesting to know that the premium Xbone is more favorable on the market than the premium Ps4.

Truth411

Sep 25, 2018
No way the PS5 will be priced at $399 with a NVMe SSD and not be severely crippled.
The Xbox one X has shown that $499 is a viable price point, especially in 2020.

The Xbox 360 $399 back in 2005 is literally $499 in 2020 dollars counting inflation.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

3TMmNKC.gif

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
It won't top the Kaz gifs. Kaz had a special aura about him... that damn Mission Impossible gif man.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious too.

Reading this thread reminded me of a few things:

By some metric the One X was selling more or better than the Pro, according to some folks with access to the sales numbers. I'm starting to question the metric that was used now. Not saying they were wrong, but what exactly was it being measured against.

And how much has the numbers changed since then.

How the PS4 is still selling better overall than the Switch. The posts that put the comparisons for this year up was eye opening.

While MS and Nintendo seem to dominate the news, chatter, etc Sony is just continuing to sell consoles at record paces.

Amazing. And it's relatively quiet for Sony right now, with an exclusive that didn't review well with critics, but me and many others love playing. And defying the odds with great sales.

What in the world, lol.

That might have been either a specific market or percentage of the whole (e.g 40% of Xbox sales are X versus 30% of PS4).

Also, keep in mind that Reset is largely a US dominated forum. And we get sales data primarily for markets such as the US and UK (where Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo do good) and Japan (where Nintendo does good). This distorts the perspective of the overall market because it ignores all the markets that Sony does good in (or dominates), but not Microsoft or Nintendo.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Sony knows the template to success which is why they should price the PS5 at $399. The company's fortunes are much different this time because they have a bigger revenue stream coming in consistently (plus, now, vue, mtx, digital) so they could take a small loss on each unit and still be just fine. The impact of a $399 price announcement for PS5 would be just like the PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony knows the template to success which is why they should price the PS5 at $399. The company's fortunes are much different this time because they have a bigger revenue stream coming in consistently (plus, now, vue, mtx, digital) so they could take a small loss on each unit and still be just fine. The impact of a $399 price announcement for PS5 would be just like the PS4.
It will still cost a pretty penny to build the level of console they are going with. These new consoles aren't going to come out looking shaky like PS4/X1. They will be on par with rather high level PCs out the gate. So, we may have two options (it mostly depends on the cost to build, of course).

1. The console costs ~$599 to make and they sell it for $499 and take a $100 loss.
2. The console costs ~$599 to make and they sell it for $399 and take a $199 loss.

The former is more financially responsible than the latter. They loss roughly $60 with the PS4 at launch. They can handle a bump to $99. A $199 loss? I think that is pushing it. They can get as many people as possible at $499 and then try stuff like bundling a game and/or a $50 cut to $450. And yeah, while the money is made in the software and services, I don't think that means setting yourself back that much with hardware.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
No way the PS5 will be priced at $399 with a NVMe SSD and not be severely crippled.
The Xbox one X has shown that $499 is a viable price point, especially in 2020.

The Xbox 360 $399 back in 2005 is literally $499 in 2020 dollars counting inflation.

Care to share the numbers on how great the One X is doing? Because last Hardware related numbers i heard of MS was a 46% decline. So no, the One X isn't showing that 499$ is a good price point, it's the opposite actually.

Jan 17, 2019
Xbox has had a 48% hardware sales drop for the quarter whilst PS4 has INCREASED hardware sales by 2.7%? That's stark if I'm reading it right or was the Xbox figure hardware revenue or something?
Cool I was expecting a 10% drop because of some posts on Era saying big drops are expected this late because of Xbox's huge decline.
No Playstation strongness in Europe and rest of the world helped sales because it is slowing down in US and Japan... Xbox sales US slowdown affect MS Xbox division much more because no other market are strong enough to counterbalance it...

Curiuos to see what decline percentage will be in their next quarter report. Was 33% 3 months ago, now is 48%. Holiday 2020 for launching their next console will be a hard and a long wait. In the other hand, Sony can cruise on PS4 sales. I also think they won't be in any hurry for announcing next PS5 news.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Care to share the numbers on how great the One X is doing? Because last Hardware related numbers i heard of MS was a 46% decline. So no, the One X isn't showing that 499$ is a good price point, it's the opposite actually.

Don't really think that proves much considering it's just a mid gen refresh and if you already weren't really happy with the Xbox platform in terms of software there's not much reason to upgrade and new customers might as well wait until next year at this point. $500 may not be ideal at this point in the generation but for a launch console? I think that's going to be fine, especially if all your old games work on it. Trade/sell your old system and you're back to $400.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to realize that Sony only has one chance to move game development forward for the next 7 years and they need to show a meaningful difference in features and jump in graphics and get people to say I need a ps5 especially with more competition. IMO 399 would be a pro like upgrade. 399 was a necessity coming off the back of PS3 and recession but not anymore. A 599 machine sold for 499 would be a huge jump and I hope they do that and I think they are going to.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Don't really think that proves much considering it's just a mid gen refresh and if you already weren't really happy with the Xbox platform in terms of software there's not much reason to upgrade and new customers might as well wait until next year at this point. $500 may not be ideal at this point in the generation but for a launch console? I think that's going to be fine, especially if all your old games work on it. Trade/sell your old system and you're back to $400.

I'm not arguing the price, i'm just saying that the One X results are not an positive indicator for a 499 price point as he stated.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Sony would be satisfied with the kind of numbers the X is doing. And considering they were talking about US numbers only this really doesn't tell us anything.
Well, Sony's next gen system would obviously sell more than a mid gen refresh. The point is that it shows a console can be successful at that price point.

US makes up the majority of MS' share. They weren't looking for it to do numbers worldwide if their cheaper console couldn't even do it. It would be like basing Pro success off of Japan numbers.

If X did well as we have been told, a 499 next gen console is viable.

Jan 17, 2019
Well, Sony's next gen system would obviously sell more than a mid gen refresh. The point is that it shows a console can be successful at that price point.

US makes up the majority of MS' share. They weren't looking for it to do numbers worldwide if their cheaper console couldn't even do it. It would be like basing Pro success off of Japan numbers.

US isn't the world.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Success is relative.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
They will be on par with rather high level PCs out the gate.

Lol, no, they won't. By the time the PS5 gets launched, it will fall squarely as a mid-range PC configuration with, maybe, the custom NAND solution as a differentiator.

So, we may have two options (it mostly depends on the cost to build, of course).

We have way more than two options.

1. The console costs ~$599 to make and they sell it for $499 and take a $100 loss.
2. The console costs ~$599 to make and they sell it for $399 and take a $199 loss.

The former is more financially responsible than the latter.

Neither of these two options is likely viable. A $499 console has a way smaller addressable market than a $399 one, and the main purpose of loss leading is so you can reach as wide of a market as fast as you can so you can profit on related goods. You don't do that by limiting your addressable market. If they take any meaningful loss, is to get the pricing to a mainstream level.

A $499 console would most likely be sold at or really close to break even, at most. Like the Xbox One X itself, by the way. If you want $599 worth of hardware, be prepared to pay $599.

Oct 25, 2017
I never said it was.
Success is relative.
Which is what I stated.
Though I'm inclined to 100% disagree, I'm curious as to what you think a 'rather high level PC' is to at least have a perspective.
I figure it is rather obvious. The consoles will be toward the higher end of PCs rather than the lower end like with this gen.

The question is, well in relation to regular XBO sales and US market, or in relation to Pro sales and the worldwide market?
The former.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Incredible results for Sony. IMO they can afford to take a loss on the PS5 for the first 2 years because the PS4 will be making bank regardless. The cost of building the machine will rapidly decrease in years 2,3,4 anyway so it's no major biggy.

Digital share 53%! It's going to be 60% at PS5 launch and probably end up over 75% after a few years. The profit margins for Sony will be insane.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, no, they won't. By the time the PS5 gets launched, it will fall squarely as a mid-range PC configuration with, maybe, the custom NAND solution as a differentiator.
That is what I meant. The PS4 and X1 weren't even there at launch.

We have way more than two options.
Well, good thing I said "may" then, huh?

Neither of these two options is likely viable. A $499 console has a way smaller addressable market than a $399 one, and the main purpose of loss leading is so you can reach as wide of a market as fast as you can so you can profit on related goods. You don't do that by limiting your addressable market. If they take any meaningful loss, is to get the pricing to a mainstream level.

A $499 console would most likely be sold at or really close to break even, at most. Like the Xbox One X itself, by the way. If you want $599 worth of hardware, be prepared to pay $599.
Okay, but as I said before, these machines aren't going to be made for chump change either.

Edit - On mobile and..... yeah 😅

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
If the point you're making is that $499 is a good price to launch a next gen console, then it doesn't really have anything to do with Xbone X launching at that price

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
That is what I meant. The PS4 and X1 weren't even there at launch.

Only thing decidedly less than mid-range-y about the PS4 was the CPU, and that's because they literally had no other option.

Okay, but as I said before, these machines aren't going to be made for chump change either.

Not chump change, but I seriously doubt it's anywhere near the $599 people around here are dreaming.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Incredible results for Sony. IMO they can afford to take a loss on the PS5 for the first 2 years because the PS4 will be making bank regardless. The cost of building the machine will rapidly decrease in years 2,3,4 anyway so it's no major biggy.

That Sony can use the profits from the continued sale of the PS4 to subsidize initial losses of the PS5 is a point I had forgotten, and a luxury that Microsoft's XBOX division doesn't have (nor Sony between PS3 and PS4). I had always just said, "Sony is willing to take a larger hit because of how important the Playstation brand is to their overall health."

So I guess it does lend some credibility to the rumor that the PS5 will be more technologically capable than XBOX Next.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
I figure it is rather obvious. The consoles will be toward the higher end of PCs rather than the lower end like with this gen.

"Higher end" can be any broad spectrum of parts, which is why I asked for an idea of what you were talking about. Rumor has it, for example, that the PS5's GPU will be a 2070 equivalent (which won't be higher end in 2020). In fact, despite its RTX capabilities, it still doesn't beat my Titan Xp(s), so even now, it struggles to be considered high-end.

Regardless, my expectation is consoles on the upper side of a mid-ranged machine (which is sufficient).

Last edited:

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
So God of War - one of the best if not THE best exclusive for the PS4 - has sold about 10 million copies and there are 100 million PS4s out there. So does this prove most gamers don't really care about exclusives? 90% of the owners didn't get it.
Hmmm if that's the case then it seems most gamers don't care about 3rd party games either. Uncharted 4 sold 17M last update which is more than all other PS4 games other than GTA5.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So God of War - one of the best if not THE best exclusive for the PS4 - has sold about 10 million copies and there are 100 million PS4s out there. So does this prove most gamers don't really care about exclusives? 90% of the owners didn't get it.
No it means over 10 million gamers do care about it. Quite the opposite of your take.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to realize that Sony only has one chance to move game development forward for the next 7 years and they need to show a meaningful difference in features and jump in graphics and get people to say I need a ps5 especially with more competition. IMO 399 would be a pro like upgrade. 399 was a necessity coming off the back of PS3 and recession but not anymore. A 599 machine sold for 499 would be a huge jump and I hope they do that and I think they are going to.

Also $399 is harder and harder to hit because of inflation. $399 in 2013 is the same as $438 today. Personally I think Sony is going with $449 entry price for PS5.

Analyst and Investor Briefing Q&A Summary
OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Sony released their Analyst and Investor Briefing Q&A

Highlights :
  • Sony is positive about Q1 performance despite decrease in Revenue & Operating Profit
  • Decrease expected because Days Gone only vs God of War + Detroit last Q1
  • They expected lower PS4 sales due to competitor but sales are still decent
  • Costs for next-gen are trending as planned
  • Sony do not plan to be aggressive with PS4... "focusing instead on raising the level of penetration while securing a profit"
  • Sales of 1st party games are more or less expected
  • Sales of Add-on and F2P titles were well below their expectations
  • Especially sales of F2P (microtransactions) declining sharply during Q1
  • PS+ Members numbers declined slightly but were largely expected, outlook is modest growth for full year
  • No major downside risk for the H2's outlook but they keep a close eye on sales trends and geopolitical risks
  • Operating Profit for Full Year remains unchanged partly thanks to "a degree of cost cutting" by "greater organizational flexibility"

Question : Although the Game segment reported a decline in profit for Q1 versus the same quarter of last fiscal year, when first-party software sales were strong, profit still looked reasonably good. How much of the previously stated 30 billion yen increase in development costs related to the nextgeneration console hit the books in Q1? Could you give us an idea of whether you expect this cost growth to be more weighted to 2H or 1H?
Answer : We are relatively positive about our performance in the Game segment for Q1 versus the same quarter of last fiscal year. We had expected software sales to decline given that Q1's first-party title, Days Gone, is a weaker title than the previous Q1's God of War and Detroit. We haven't disclosed the breakdown of development costs between 1H and 2H, but I can say that the costs are trending as planned. We lowered our target for annual hardware sales (as of July, 2019) from 16 million to 15 million units, and sold 3.2 million units in Q1. This is roughly the same volume as in Q1 last fiscal year. We had thought sales could be somewhat weaker than expected in light of competitor trends, but sales so far have been decent. Partially because we have started to convey some information about the next-generation console, we are not being too aggressive in selling the current model, focusing instead on raising the level of penetration while securing a profit. This is why we have slightly lowered our sales outlook but maintained our profit target.

Question : You mentioned in your speech that demand for Free-to-Play (F2P) and other third-party software in the G&NS segment was somewhat weak. Could you give us more details on the current situation and how we should view the risks into the second half?
Answer : In Q1, sales of first-party games were more or less as expected and our outlook remains unchanged. Sales of Add-Ons and F2P games were well below our expectations, with sales of F2P in particular declining sharply. This prompted us to reduce our forecast. PlayStation Plus subscriber numbers declined slightly versus the end of March, but this was largely as expected, and the outlook is for modest growth over the full year. We took all these factors into consideration in setting our current forecast. The current 2H outlook does not factor in any major downside risk, and we are not looking for any to arise. We continue to keep a close eye on sales trends and geopolitical risks.

Question : Regarding forecast changes in the Game segment, you revised the sales outlook down by 100 billion yen, which I understand is largely because of hardware and free-to-play games, but despite the change in forex assumption and the lower sales outlook, your profit outlook remains unchanged. Has there been any change in outlook on costs or profitability?
Answer : We have become more sensitive to changes and are better able to compensate for them operationally. In addition, we are also developing greater organizational flexibility. If we see that demand for hardware is somewhat weak, for example, we can make modifications to the way we are promoting products or make cuts where possible in operating expenses. We are making gradual and solid progress in improving our capabilities in this regard. Therefore, our current profit projection includes a degree of cost cutting.