Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It was only a few years ago where analyst degraded Sony to trash tier. The turn around is amazing. Hopefully the film division chooses their projects smartly and we can get less Ghostbusters/emoji movies

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Consumer electronics? Let's not do that again. If I remember correctly bloat in that area among others is the reason they were in dire straights 10 years ago.

The electronics division has made just under a billion dollars operating profit for the first nine months of the year. It's on course to break the billion dollar mark for the full year.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Oct 31, 2017
So passing GBA/PSP by June 2018 and X360/PS3 by September 2018?

I think doubling down and buying something like SE and/or Capcom would be fantastic for them going forward.

They're about to begin a new mid-term plan, and he feels that's a good time to hand off to someone else.

He also says the travel schedule as CEO has been punishing and he'd like to spend more time with his family in Northern California. According to Rolling Stone, 'sources' say he wants to have more time to focus on entertainment businesses...which they speculate could mean more time to spend with the PS business in NA, in an advisory role I guess. That last bit is speculative though. edit - beaten above.

Kaz is leaving at the right time. He turned that sinking ship around. He is still young. He will have offers from other companies in Northern and Southern California. He would be a good fit at Disney once Iger steps down, for example.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DVDYuUIXcAEmwPo.jpg:large

Inventory at the end of last year was 3.7 million units.
This year is 2.9 million units.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DVDYuUIXcAEmwPo.jpg:large

Inventory at the end of last year was 3.7 million units.
This year is 2.9 million units.
and Sony still managed to ship another 2.9 million in the Q1 of 2017 and they are only estimating 2.5 million for 2018 Q1. i think they can beat their estimate quite easily. especially if they release few bundles in NA.

OP
OP

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
From earnings call conference:

We have reduced our forecast for fiscal year sales by 60 billion yen compared with the October forecast to 1 trillion 940 billion yen. This is due to a change in the launch date of a certain software title, as well as an increase in sales of PS4 hardware at promotional prices during the holiday season.

Kratossssssss

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Hirai to Exec Produce, Commentate and play Sax for Sony Pictures Animation ✕ Sony Interactive collaboration on new Kazuo Racer IP.

Rumours he may provide sexy mocap for prerendered intro are unfounded.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think doubling down and buying something like SE and/or Capcom would be fantastic for them going forward.
What is with this forum and wanting the big three to purchase major AAA publishers? :/

For Sony, this makes little sense seeing as how they already got the marketing deals and even a few exclusive titles with Square and Capcom. A lot more beneficial to just maintain the good relationship with these publishers than spend millions to buy them.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kiss your ass good bye Sony Pictures, Yoshida is coming for you lol

I have a feel Sony will be buying either SE or Capcom.

Last edited:

KNECHT

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should melt everything in sort of a Netflix formula, where there should be movie/tv show studios and game studios making first party productions for their service.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
From earnings call conference:

We have reduced our forecast for fiscal year sales by 60 billion yen compared with the October forecast to 1 trillion 940 billion yen. This is due to a change in the launch date of a certain software title, as well as an increase in sales of PS4 hardware at promotional prices during the holiday season.

Kratossssssss

lol they pretty much confirmed that GOW was supposed to launch in March and not in April :P.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say that based on what?
As much as I dislike a rather large percentage of their output, I do believe they can improve on that quite easily. The new CEO Vinciquerra seems competent too and they had some good efforts lately.

Based on the the guys background who was instrumental in getting rid of divisions that was dragging down the company.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on the the guys background who was instrumental in getting rid of divisions that was dragging down the company.
I'm pretty sure Hirai wanted to get rid of SPE, but now - after having some hints of success - is not the time to think about that anymore.
They're obviously doing a better job now. Selling it at this point would be pretty dumb.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Said the same thing about Vaio lol
A laptop brand is not Sony Pictures. Sony Pictures is huge and you can males A LOT of money in the entertainment business if you don't have a dumbass on top of the movie company, which they had. But not any more. The new one is good. And Jumanji is a nice start. Sony Pictures isn't going anywhere.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
A laptop brand is not Sony Pictures. Sony Pictures is huge and you can males A LOT of money in the entertainment business if you don't have a dumbass on top of the movie company, which they had. But not any more. The new one is good. And Jumanji is a nice start. Sony Pictures isn't going anywhere.

Where is my Shadow of the Colossus movie?

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Hirai wanted to get rid of SPE, but now - after having some hints of success - is not the time to think about that anymore.
They're obviously doing a better job now. Selling it at this point would be pretty dumb.

ha, we will find out soon.on a different topic, I dont think we will see a cooler CEO ever after watching this clip lol.

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
Kiss your ass good bye Sony Pictures, Yoshida is coming for you lol

I have a feel Sony will be buying either SE or Capcom.

It will be sad if they sell the Sony pictures

I wouldn't to worry about it as there is high possibilities that Kaz will remain for a long time in Sony

sources said Hirai has indicated to insiders he intends to remain involved with Sony's U.S.-based entertainment businesses in his new chairman role.