Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
screenshot2020-08-26aepkwd.png

09 78 26¿
Im sue it's fake but what about those numbers?

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Resident Evil vibes, not Silent Hill vibes.

I don't even think it looks like Resident Evil, tbh. There are elements of Death Stranding, but it looks a lot like a random science fiction horror-action game, with the technological imagery, skyscrapers, and the red lighting.

I do have to say, though, that between this video leak, The Medium, and common posts like this, the bar for "This looks like Silent Hill!" is steadily dropping. I could make an indie game about preparing a strawberry jam sandwich in a foggy kitchen, and people would be comparing it to Silent Hill. Or really, any horror game that involves semi-fixed camera angles or shifting back-and-forth to a more hellish environment (even if its cliche, jump scare heavy, or whatnot).

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it looks like Resident Evil, tbh. There are elements of Death Stranding, but it looks a lot like a random science fiction horror-action game, with the technological imagery, skyscrapers, and the red lighting.

I do have to say, though, that between this video leak, The Medium, and common posts like this, the bar for "This looks like Silent Hill!" is steadily dropping. I could make an indie game about preparing a strawberry jam sandwich in a foggy kitchen, and people would be comparing it to Silent Hill. Or really, any horror game that involves semi-fixed camera angles or shifting back-and-forth to a more hellish environment (even if its cliche, jump scare heavy, or whatnot).

Agreed. The pigeonholing introduced via the movie(s) and western releases -- as much as I enjoyed Homecoming -- watered down the semantics of Silent Hill into a strict syntax that makes it easier and easier for people to claim that the same language is being spoken. It's not unlike what happens in From Software clones, "Souls-like" games, or Metroidvania games -- you just look for these markers and then immediately box it up and ship it. Sure, *sometimes* that does work, but in an exception that proves the rule sort of way: Mortal Shell is practically plagiarism of Dark Soul's look and feel, but the actual game couldn't unfold more differently from the thing that inspired it.

In what will perhaps be a weird corollary to the point: I would not be surprised if a new Silent Hill game actually looks *nothing* like "Silent Hill" in terms of visual indicators. It would not surprise me one bit, for instance, to see a trailer for a new game that doesn't include a single cubic foot of fog, or span of chain-link fence. That stuff isn't necessary or sufficient for being "Silent Hill", but it's certainly not unfamiliar to the material, either. For me Silent Hill is a vibe, a place, a thing, a strange look -- an unfamiliar. That's kind of what has made is so missed and for so long, and why nobody really knew what the hell PT was until they knew exactly what it was. And further, why it worked.

ROBYER1

Apr 22, 2020
screenshot2020-08-26aepkwd.png

09 78 26¿
Im sue it's fake but what about those numbers?

If this is a tech demo, why are there these cryptic numbers in the tech demo?

Like Sony was just saying: "yeah make a cool ray tracing demo for us"

3d artist: "Yeah boiz look how well we can ray trace these seemingly random cryptic numbers, INCREDIBLE"

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Agreed. The pigeonholing introduced via the movie(s) and western releases -- as much as I enjoyed Homecoming -- watered down the semantics of Silent Hill into a strict syntax that makes it easier and easier for people to claim that the same language is being spoken. It's not unlike what happens in From Software clones, "Souls-like" games, or Metroidvania games -- you just look for these markers and then immediately box it up and ship it. Sure, *sometimes* that does work, but in an exception that proves the rule sort of way: Mortal Shell is practically plagiarism of Dark Soul's look and feel, but the actual game couldn't unfold more differently from the thing that inspired it.

In what will perhaps be a weird corollary to the point: I would not be surprised if a new Silent Hill game actually looks *nothing* like "Silent Hill" in terms of visual indicators. It would not surprise me one bit, for instance, to see a trailer for a new game that doesn't include a single cubic foot of fog, or span of chain-link fence. That stuff isn't necessary or sufficient for being "Silent Hill", but it's certainly not unfamiliar to the material, either. For me Silent Hill is a vibe, a place, a thing, a strange look -- an unfamiliar. That's kind of what has made is so missed and for so long, and why nobody really knew what the hell PT was until they knew exactly what it was. And further, why it worked.

Right? I feel like any horror game that tries to be edgy or depressing, or involves shifting from one "world" to another, is automatically labeled as Silent Hill now. Even stuff you would not expect:

www.vg247.com

The Last of Us Part 2 is as close to next-gen Silent Hill as you're going to get (spoilers)

Recently I’ve been thinking about a certain big-budget horror sequel, and the many important differences between it and…
www.cinemablend.com

Why Krampus Was The Silent Hill Movie I Always Wanted

This past Sunday marked the 17-year anniversary of the release of the very first Silent Hill game onto PlayStation. And even though a couple sad excuses for Silent Hil movies have attempted to recreat

"The Last of Us 2 is close to being a next gen Silent Hill game because... It has a map that you cross stuff off on! And open world segments!"

No, just no.

I have to agree that the later games and the movies really flanderised the series, in terms of watering it down for the general public and repeating the same two stories over and over. It's a shame, because Silent Hill at its core is about nightmares being manifested into physical reality (Alessa's, James, Heather's, Claudia's, Walter's...). There is so much you can do with that concept alone. A lot of people were surprised when Silent Hill 2 came out, because they assumed that every game would be about the cult and Alessa with red rust. When Silent Hill 3 concluded the first game's story, some fans felt vindicated in that. Then Silent Hill 4 came out, and it was a much more claustrophobic story in another town. Silent Hill 5 was going to be the darkest story in the series, and would have had a creepy rotting sunlight Otherworld instead of fog.

Really, the surface-level elements (Pyramid Head, guilt, punishment, radical cultists ranting about paradise, sirens, environment transitions, looking for a relative and having a "they're dead and you probably killed them" plot twist, or even fog) are not what make a Silent Hill game, and that's what other developers fail to realise when they try to replicate it.

The originals were famous because of their use of deep storytelling, complex characters, puzzles, symbolism, atmosphere, sound design and music, lore and history, psychological horror, appealing to (and reflecting) deeper human fears and anxieties, brilliant art and creature work, gritty Clive Barker-esque environments, surrealism, and for being straight-up terrifying. In a genre of horror that was dominated by more B-movie Hollywood action type of games, Silent Hill came along and was a more grounded story about an average human being caught in a living nightmare trying to save his daughter and learning more about the twisted nature of the town along the way. It's weird that none of the Silent Hill clones realise that copying surface-level elements is not the same as replicating the game.

And because of the later games and the movies, I think there is even a portion of fans that don't realise it either. Take a drink every time you hear someone in a comment section suggest a ground-up over the shoulder remake of Silent Hill 2 on the Resident Evil Engine with more action and "better" (less surreal) voice acting. I facepalm every time and it's one of the only times I hope Konami doesn't listen to the fans, lol.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
There is a 0% chance that is real. This is the kind of thing I was talking about where you can usually spot the randos with fake nonsense pretty easily.

Oct 29, 2017
Truth be told, I'd rather have a new Silent Hill game on the RE Engine than having a new game from some unknown western developer.

And that video with the numbers probably has nothing to do with the PS5 or SH.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Truth be told, I'd rather have a new Silent Hill game on the RE Engine than having a new game from some unknown western developer.

I was mainly talking about a more action-based OTS remake of the original games in the style of Resident Evil 2 on the RE Engine. Outsourcing a new game to another inexperienced western developer would be bad, but so would that. One doesn't really negate the other.

To go a step further, most of the Team Silent games honestly don't really need a full remake (not to be confused with a remaster) at all.

9n71tl_nfc9R4owixA4IvTShmi3vNGCNCgWtrMkTLSvF6FJjI118pdQv-0hUetoMnho4mepRpHfoJ36Vjk0d--BDuPvYIoKrN4Ltd3WCnYLVy71F0FT4J9Ow3T8QIgIM28QKpbwJF_loXANaB1llJ8g9NOT_MMOjbvD_34cjNX260SkgxPDDDtFYgADtuJwtmZwKFQ212yPtePyeYAWC88-ozSQ0-U9bAg

latest

Besides, Konami would most likely outsource a remake to a western developer anyway. Silent Hill: Origins was going to be a remake of Silent Hill (1999) at first.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I was mainly talking about a more action-based OTS remake of the original games in the style of Resident Evil 2 on the RE Engine. Outsourcing a new game to another inexperienced western developer would be bad, but so would that. One doesn't really negate the other.

To go a step further, most of the Team Silent games honestly don't really need a full remake (not to be confused with a remaster) at all.

9n71tl_nfc9R4owixA4IvTShmi3vNGCNCgWtrMkTLSvF6FJjI118pdQv-0hUetoMnho4mepRpHfoJ36Vjk0d--BDuPvYIoKrN4Ltd3WCnYLVy71F0FT4J9Ow3T8QIgIM28QKpbwJF_loXANaB1llJ8g9NOT_MMOjbvD_34cjNX260SkgxPDDDtFYgADtuJwtmZwKFQ212yPtePyeYAWC88-ozSQ0-U9bAg

latest

Besides, Konami would most likely outsource a remake to a western developer anyway. Silent Hill: Origins was going to be a remake of Silent Hill (1999) at first.

That's why I'm really hoping for the soft reboot with Toyama, Ito, and Yamaoka.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Plot Twist

Sony acquired the rights to X-Men after the success of Spider-Man, and Masahiro Ito and Project Siren have actually been working on that this entire time.

Oct 29, 2017
No. No plot twists, please. I don't want this to be jinxed. God lol no. Just no. Please. No. Oh Hells no. 🙄

Last edited:

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i like my nothingburgers rare thx

Anyone who has spent 10 minutes in this thread could do better than that tweet, even if they've never managed the Ask_Playstation Twitter account 🥱

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
"Release date: 2020" LOL

It would've been in today's presentation if it was. Nope. Not gamescom. Last stop TGS ✋

Yeah, a few of us have been saying for the past week or so that TGS is most likely. Though, as frustrating as the wait is, even that isn't the last stop. The last is basically any time before the PS5 comes out, at which point it's time to give up.

Apr 18, 2020
So this dude has had a... let's say tumultuous track record with his information. He's either on the money, or totally wrong. I wonder where his accuracy stands regarding this response?

Apr 18, 2020
Gotta ask, who is that guy?

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the things he's gotten right? I always just hear that he's a scam, lol

He's accurately leaked state of play dates and game announcements- but he's also the one who falsely said preorder dates for consoles would be dropping in July or whenever it was. All I know is that he's had some successes, and some failures- but always responding to the prominent leakers. other than that, just figured I'd share it here.

Apr 18, 2020
He's been wrong all summer as far as i can remember. He pretty much has thrown a plethora of possibilities at the wall and when one sticks he runs with it.
Good to know. My hope is that he's wrong, and someone in here would be able to verify whether or not he's a good source. Like I said I think the only thing I saw he got right were some dates for SoP, and some of the games that would be dropping. Beyond that, not much else.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Just out of curiosity, what are some of the things he's gotten right? I always just hear that he's a scam, lol

The only thing I recall him getting right was the date for the Sony August event maybe? I know there was one thing he was pretty spot on about, but like everything else he's been wrong on, I think. It's one of those types of deals.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Look. Remothered: Broken Porcelain and RE8 are supposed to be in this event too. So maybe tomorrow or saturday they make a "horror section" with those games and Silent Hill shows up.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Look. Remothered: Broken Porcelain and RE8 are supposed to be in this event too. So maybe tomorrow or saturday they make a "horror section" with those games and Silent Hill shows up.

A seriously doubt SH will just 'show up' if it's really going to be a Japan Studio PS5 showcase game. It'll be 'revealed' at a Sony event, I'd wager.

geronimo73

Oct 28, 2017
Someone posted it to me on Twitter, I wasn't going to post it here because I don't want people thinking I'm saying it's true, for clarity me posting this is not me saying it's true or I think it's true, I really don't think it is, but as I have the video on hand I can post it here I suppose:

Hi Dusk

This is the end of transmissions for Jace_Skell

Oct 29, 2017
Can we just close this thread until something tangibly Silent Hill related comes out? The Japanese developed Silent Hill rumor sounds like a dud, now. Sorry.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Excuse my ignorance, but who is Roberto Serrano? Does he know of every single project Sony and Konami does?

Edit:
Doing a quick search, this doesn't instill confidence:

Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit 2:
Neither does this, this, or this:

Yeah, I'm not taking his word for anything. Or even Jake Skell's word, for that matter (all he did was regurgitate old info). It's like watching two "leakers" without credibility pushing for attention in opposite directions.

Last edited:

geronimo73

Oct 28, 2017
Excuse my ignorance, but who is Roberto Serrano? Does he know of every single project Sony and Konami does?

Hi. This is me.

I'm a Business Analyst at a big US multinational specialized in IT services with offices in many countries, and I have worked in the recent past as Editor in Chief at a gaming information website: I've established good relationships with all the entertainment companies through their representatives and / or developers

With some of them, I maintained a contact that allowed me, and now allows me, to know the information in advance

At now I'm in "vetted insiders" list by ResetEra moderator

That's it

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi. This is me.

I'm a Business Analyst at a big US multinational specialized in IT services with offices in many countries, and I have worked in the recent past as Editor in Chief at a gaming information website: I've established good relationships with all the entertainment companies through their representatives and / or developers

With some of them, I maintained a contact that allowed me, and now allows me, to know the information in advance

That's it
Wait, you're Roberto?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Hi. This is me.

That's it

Sorry for the off topic:

Did you hear anything new from your sources about the PS2 and PS3 BC for PS5?
Last time i heard about it in May, Is that feature still on the road map?

I'm in no way concerened if the new Silent Hill is not named SIlent Hill.
I just want a game in the direction of the legacy Silent Hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.