• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
dIHX0cW.gif

I love this.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if Sony is looking at Genshin and wondering how do they get that to work for Fate on console
I dont fully understand how the fate ip operates between the different levels of sony though or if it would really work the same way genshin does.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
They're going have to stay aggressive if they want to actually gain market share, let alone maintain it this gen.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
User Warned: Hostility towards other members.
Horizon Forbidden West is cross gen and out this year. Wouldn't at all surprise me if God of War Ragnarok was cross gen.

Which is why I'm not stupid enough to say "Ragnarok will be PS5 only because it aimed for 2021".

The person I responded to is the one who drew a conclusion by cherry picking data to support their position, not me.

Ragnarok may or may not be cross gen, there is no past data that points one way or the other and only an idiot would say there is.

dave_sausage

Jun 4, 2020
UK
That 50% market share refers probably to revenue not units sold, and the standard PS5 already being profitable 6 months into its life bodes very well for Sony.

Almost certainly, you don't put units (or engagement, or MAUs, or....you get the point) in the bank.

If they are at 45% then 50% looks more than achievable based on the actual evidence out there. PS5 is the best console Sony have ever made, and we still have PSVR2 to come (VR having an unknown glass-ceiling ATM).

Assuming the games continue to stack up then I honestly think 150m is not completely out the question (still unlikely mind).

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
So that means whenever the Switch 2 comes out....will it be a 9th gen console?

At some point trying to compare the Switch to PS or Xbox will get even more complicated. Hopefully a Switch 2 comes soon if this is gonna be a continuous debate.
Hard to call Switch the same as XseXboneX and PS5 when it came out years before them both. Switch 2 probably will come out so late because they'll pull a DS and count it all as if it was just 1 handheld

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
In February, Sony revealed it was selling the PlayStation 5 at a loss — but that's imminently about to change. The PS5 should hit break-even in June, and become profitable the very same month, according to a presentation the company shared with investors (PDF) during its investor day today.

Needless to say, that's fast — happening before the company has even managed to catch up with demand, in the midst of a global chip shortage.

Mind you, this is for the standard PS5, the one where Sony has to supply a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drive and pay as much as $8 per console in licensing fees, and charges you an extra $100 at retail. It's not clear if Sony's driveless PS5 Digital Edition is more or less profitable.
breakeven_ps5.jpg

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how the cost of goods can fluctuate so significantly within just a few months.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Is this a per-unit basis or just the total amount of money spent/money made from the physical version of PS5 thus far?

Edit: Ah it's entire cost of goods/wholesale

Impressive but I don't think the digital version will ever be profitable on a per-unit basis but that makes sense given the 30% cut they get on every purchase made on them.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Just imagine how much profit they would be making if they sold the console for $599. I still remember some though the digital was made so they be able to hit the $499 mark.

But this seems similar to PS4 in the amount of time it took for sony to be able to make a profit on the console, its off by a 2-3 months I think.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
What's keeping Sony consoles profitable so close to launch and Xbox consoles never profitable?

In the case of the 360 and the og Xbox one I really don't know, the series X presumably just a more expensive CPU and GPU

The PS3 wasn't profitable even at $599 but it was too different from the 360 to really compare

Oct 27, 2017
in another thread someone said it was making a profit at launch.
No, it took about mid year the following year, about 6-8 months. They said it broke even after a game or so, meaning they likely ate $20-$30sh per unit in 2013.

on topic: can anyone figure out the drop in costs for March 2022 based off Sony's image?

because seems to indicate cost to make PS5 is expected to decrease 20-30%.

aside from recouping R&D costs, what do we think is driving the decreased cost? SSD prices and Dual Sense prices coming down make sense. Maybe RAM too?

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe this is a stealth reason to constrict supply - until cost of manufacture isn't a ton of loss when met with demand.