• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019

Meaning a new IP is in the works? Wonder if Barlog is working on GOW: Ragnarok or this game.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. Undoubtedly one of the strongest teams out there right now, can't wait to learn more.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Never forget SSM's cancelled project (concept art here). During the Raising Kratos documentary, I recall them saying that it is buried for good. That said, it would not surprise me to see bits and pieces from it end up in their next project.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Please don't be another open world
Thanks

OP
OP
IOTS

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Nope no idea yet of course but it is exciting they are working on something else besides God Of War and are open about it.
For sure.

I know they had a a new IP in the works in the early PS4 era that got cancelled so its nice to see them try again. They have been pretty much a one IP studio for so long. But Im not complaining because GOW is one of my favorite franchises and its currently in a great place.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Could be new ip or gow 3 too. I would like to think its for gow 3 since that would mean new ip is closer (you dont need lead writer that far in development). I wonder if cory has started his new ip, or when. Did he direct next gow or what? He had to be doing something since summer 2018 after his vacation ended.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finally the Sony JRPG we've all been begging and waiting for! O:

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Back to being a 1.5 team then, though I'd bet that huge facility could do two full sized teams at once if they wanted to.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks
Does it really make a difference? Their open world game wasn't really what I'd call an open world anyway. It was a hub for the connected linear levels more than an open world

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Never forget SSM's cancelled project (concept art here). During the Raising Kratos documentary, I recall them saying that it is buried for good. That said, it would not surprise me to see bits and pieces from it end up in their next project.
First time seeing that concept art and it looks really cool. I'd like to see what they planned to do with that

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They have A LOT of open positions for it already, all are senior or lead positions (in fact, from what I saw, Ragnarok doesn't seem to have that many open positions, mostly artists contracted to create more assets etc) but it's clear that they want to push forward for actual production fairly quickly to prevent downtime in between projects.
Why hello there šŸ‘€

Ad-Infinitum

Nov 1, 2017

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Does it really make a difference? Their open world game wasn't really what I'd call an open world anyway. It was a hub for the connected linear levels more than an open world

God of war is not open world by any means. I don't know why you thought I was implying GoW is open world

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks

I actually hope that GoW Ragnarƶk is going full open world. :)
GoW's world was pretty and atmospheric, but it felt too small and restricted.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God of war is not open world by any means. I don't know why you thought I was implying GoW is open world
I'm struggling to think of what else they've put out recently tbh so figured must have meant that. I actually can't name anything else off the top of my head that would fit the bill. Which game was you referring to?

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's both of these things myself. They've been staffing up since 2019, way beyond the realms of the God Of War: Ragnarok project. I'm very interested to see what gameplay direction they pursue with something brand new...

I still remember this tweet, then later in 2020 Ragnarok was announced. Eric has worked on all previous GOW games.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'm struggling to think of what else they've put out recently tbh so figured must have meant that. I actually can't name anything else off the top of my head that would fit the bill. Which game was you referring to?

I wasn't referring to any specific game.

With "another" I mean generally. Santa Monica and Naughty Dog are some of the few AAA developers that didn't jump on the open world bandwagon.

Tekken

Banned
Mar 8, 2021
Hopefully 0 RPG menu elements.
I enjoyed God of war but felt I had to go into the menu too many times. It killed some of the immersion.

Don't give any skill tree kind of stuff too .
Just give us the skills we need as we progress, and change weapons with a button.

I hope this new game is not set in the future or the past. Just the present day/nearby

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
First time seeing that concept art and it looks really cool. I'd like to see what they planned to do with that
It was a New Sci-fi IP by the main team while GOW was in incubation phase, because of some problems the project died, a bunch of layoffs happened and a lot changed in the studio, we don't know much because this project also was in its early days, after it was canned the team moved to Cory's team and all hands were in GOW.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys not tired of open world games?

No offence, but this is a dumb question. ;) One could ask that about all other game genres too. Why should one be more tired of open world games than by others? Some of the most popular and most lauded games of last generation were in fact open world games.