• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Basically reminding people about the impending shutdown of monthly games with PS+ for PS3 and Vita. End of an era.

e5gkk2jo15321.png

Good news is you get to keep/be able to re-download all previously downloaded PS+ games as long as you have an active sub.

Last edited:

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
PS3 Servers probably aren't too far behind. How much resource was putting those games costing? Wouldn't it have been better to do that when the actual servers were going to be put down.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
They still haven't announced what they're replacing them with.
probably nothing

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
PS3 Servers probably aren't too far behind. How much resource was putting those games costing? Wouldn't it have been better to do that when the actual servers were going to be put down.
To bring down a bunch of CDN servers would be really stupid. The main cost of CDN is data transfer, storage is cheap as fuck nowadays. PS3 isn't as popular as it has been before the launch of PS4 and will probably never be as popular again ever. Putting them down is downright hostile and greedy.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
PS 3 servers as in game play servers or download servers? I mean the CDNs are the same as what is being used for PS4 so there are no resources, literally it is just a file on a server, if you are talking like MP servers, well that is more complex.

PS3 CDNs don't have to go anywhere. They can keep the files up as long as they have space and bandwidth to host them because the CDNs hold it all.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They should have used the last year to give some PS3/Vita big first party games games, but well...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why people keep bringing shit like this up as if there's a remote chance of it happening. You really think Sony's going to shut down a big part of PS Now? At most they might shut down the PS3's PS Store.

Ideally I'd like to see Sony replace the PS3/Vita games with two indie games and one PSVR game a month (leaving the current PS4 slots to AA/AAA games). I really miss the days when they'd release an indie game on PS+ day one.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing what they replace the PS3 and Vita games with. I'm guessing they'll just go with four PS4 games but who knows.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
How long until they end PSN access for PS3 and Vita?

since server storage costs practically nothing these days , probably never since it'll always be a revenue stream since Sony disconnected ps3/vita from the rest of the Playstation ecosystem with 4 and whatever comes after.

But with these kinds of announcements, i dont expect them to support vita and PS3 with PS+ sales and promotions forever. And as we've seen, individual game servers on legacy hardware are also forfeit

TLDR, the PS3 and Vita stores to buy products will never go down, neither will the ability to play online in the most basic sense. And third party games still operating on p2p will always stay up. Sony's own individual games running on servers will likely get phased out alltogether

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Ugh, I forgot about this. It's such bullshit considering how this month the only game I was interested in was Iconoclasts which counts as a Vita game.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It still sucks were going down from 6 games a month to 2, especially as the price increased not too long ago just because.

I'm sure If they were planning on replacing the PS3 and Vita offerings they'd would've said something by now.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're moving them to PS Now when PS5 hits with PS3 backward compatibility.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Microsoft meanwhile is full steam with Xbox, 360, and xb1 games available to include in their monthly games.
Because technically they're all XB1 games.
They're ports, not true emulation. Microsoft just streamlined that process and made it easier. But in reality you can't run any old game on XB1, only specific ones (less than 25% from Xbox 360 library and less than 5% from OG Xbox).

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Just remember what the Bloodstained devs said when it was cancelled for Vita. "The decision is largely due to Sony's plans to discontinue the Vita console, ending production of physical copies and stopping certain online store support features."

They were 100% told the store was closing before the game was releasing or so soon after release it wouldn't be worth the effort for such a limited window of sale.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Hope they don't replace with PSVR games... That would just add less value to to the subscription. Giving away games the vast majority Will never play.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've never had Plus but I still use my Vita and PS3 quite a lot, pretty sad to think the servers/store might be shutting down soon too

If they do I hope they whack everything on sale. There are a ton of games I still want for Vita

Oct 25, 2017
Replacing them with "nothing" would mean going from 6 games a month to 2. That would probably be an immediate subscription cancel for me.
Prepare to cancel then. Sony doesn't care because PS Plus's main purpose is to enable you to play online on PS4. They could get rid of all the monthly games and would lose very few subscriptions. It could even be a profitable move for Sony as they wouldn't have to pay for the monthly games and the subscriber loss would be too small to mean anything.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Hope they don't replace with PSVR games... That would just add less value to to the subscription. Giving away games the vast majority Will never play.
Do majority play the PS3 and PSV games at this point tho?

Imo the smart strategy would be to add 1 psvr game per month to try and hook people to buy a headset and soon enough 2 PS5 games per month.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
It would be criminal to switch off PS3 services when people are still using the console, especially in markets like Brazil. And certainly not until they have implemented some form of PS3 BC where you can still play those games without having to rent them on PS Now.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Prepare to cancel then.

I'm fine with that.

Sony doesn't care because PS Plus's main purpose is to enable you to play online on PS4. They could get rid of all the monthly games and would lose very few subscriptions.

[X] Doubt

It could even be a profitable move for Sony as they wouldn't have to pay for the monthly games and the subscriber loss would be too small to mean anything.

Gotta love Era's armchair analysts. :D