• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
I know the game didn't do well and they even closed Evolution Studio, but the assets in Driveclub are a goldmine the driving physics and handling, the graphics, the environment, cars model all are the best in the industry.

Almost all arcade racer suffer from poor handling but not Driveclub the handling is just perfect balance between fun and precision now imagine that goodness on open world game like Forza Horizon! Sony need to do something there aren't a good arcade racers in the industry except for Forza Horizon and that is an exclusive, the Crew 2 handling just suck and NFS has lost its ways.

If i were Sony i would ask Codemasters to develop Driveclub 2 since EVO people are there now, give them a good budget and you might have hit racer like FH.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
No.
I would love more Driveclub, but it absolutely does not need open world. I still have not played an Open World racer that comes near the track quality of the best track racers. That simply gets lost in the transition.

Ironchimp

Dec 16, 2017
Testdrive Club - They did make some beautiful tracks and scenery i always wished it was open world when playing, I really miss test drive 2 nothing on playstation to fill the void.

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Why developing Driveclub to Sony only? Codemasters should do that Driveclub iteration on multiplat since Sony didn't give much support to that game before.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Forza Horizon looks insanely fun. It's definitely one of the few titles that makes me want to pick up an Xbox at some point. I think a Motorstorm reboot would fit that style of game better than the Driveclub IP though. The first Motorstorm already had a festival vibe going on and it would separate itself from Forza a little bit by having more of an emphasis on different types of vehicles as well as more destruction and environmental interaction.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the devs got a chance to create something new. Playing Onrush since launch and it's awesome.

So I really don't want to see Codemasters Evo developing a normal racing game and I don't think there's another studio that could develop the game you are asking for.

Driveclub came and went. Let it die.

Last edited:

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Why developing Driveclub to Sony only? Codemasters should do that Driveclub iteration on multiplat since Sony didn't give much support to that game before.
Driveclub had excellent post launch support. One of the best post launch support this gen even, kudos to Evolution Studios.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Sony supported Driveclub insanely well considering all of the server issues and how relatively poorly it sold. They let Evolution bring that game back from the brink and they even let them do an expansion. Driveclub went from a flawed but fun experience to a fantastic game after all the post-launch content and updates.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no, Driveclub doesn't need open world.

If i were Sony i would ask Codemasters to develop Driveclub 2 since EVO people are there now, give them a good budget and you might have hit racer like FH.
I think it's pretty clear that Sony doesn't see a future (and by future I mean big selling AAA titles) in the racing genre. We got Driveclub and Gran Turismo Sport and that's pretty much it (Wipeout is a remaster so it doesn't fully count imo).

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Sony supported Driveclub insanely well considering all of the server issues and how relatively poorly it sold. They let Evolution bring that game back from the brink and they even let them do an expansion. Driveclub went from a flawed but fun experience to a fantastic game after all the post-launch content and updates.
They killed the studio. Get real.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
No.
I would love more Driveclub, but it absolutely does not need open world. I still have not played an Open World racer that comes near the track quality of the best track racers. That simply gets lost in the transition.
well maybe they should build the tracks first and allow all the other roads to connect to them and this becomes a none issue if you raced DriveClub you can see some tracks already have other roads connected to them to the side they just have to follow the same paths.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
They killed the studio. Get real.
Evolution failed to meet their original deadline by nearly an entire year. And it still suffered from server issues when it launched. It didn't set the world on fire critically or commercially and yet Sony still let them support the game with some of the best post-launch updates of this entire generation. But at the end of the day, they can't just fund a studio indefinitely when that studio's games aren't selling well enough to justify it. Is that real enough?

sproglobber

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wollongong, Australia
PlayStation has its exclusives, Xbox has its exclusives... No need to counter each other.

But if it happened, it would be a big ask, almost 4 games into the horizon franchise now, playground are a well oiled machine.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Nah open world driving games are not really something I crave for.

Have no problem with a new drive club sticking to the same formula.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry but the driving model and physics in drive club are nowhere close to the best in the industry lol. They're not even the best first party Sony racer physics and driving model lol.

If it went open world it would lose many of those things you listed anyway.

Dave Mash

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Still gutted about Evo being shut. Driveclub was fantastic and the diversity they added to Sony's line-up was really valuable. Shame

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Evolution failed to meet their original deadline by nearly an entire year. And it still suffered from server issues when it launched. It didn't set the world on fire critically or commercially and yet Sony still let them support the game with some of the best post-launch updates of this entire generation. But at the end of the day, they can't just fund a studio indefinitely when that studio's games aren't selling well enough to justify it. Is that real enough?
Sony should make open world Driveclub 2
Get real.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please no to open world...

DC2 for sure, but who could they even engage?

ps3ud0 8)

Deleted member 11986

Oct 27, 2017
Driveclub had excellent post launch support. One of the best post launch support this gen even, kudos to Evolution Studios.

Yeah! kudos to Evolution Studios!

how about Polyphony? Is this a studio that can give so much profit that Sony can pat on its head indefinitely even though there are devs like Evolution Studios which can do racing games way faster than Polyphony could ever dream about? Seems like double standards to me and Sony seemed to act like 'you are either rockstar if you succeed or I will set you on fire if you don't' to Evolution Studios imo.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I want another Driveclub as well, but not open world. I prefer to master the layout of fixed tracks.

Jun 20, 2018
I just got GT Sport with my PSVR starter set, and while I love the game, it does seem strange how it's behind Driveclub in so many aspects. I only got my PS4 at the end of 2016, so by that point, Driveclub was a fantastic game and I have nothing but good memories of it. I did an endurance race in GT Sport the other day, set at sunrise. All I could think about was how silly it seemed that the time of day remained static when in Driveclub it would have progressed. The weather is another huge thing missing from GT. I understand why Sony closed them down, but it's still such a huge shame, and feels like an incredible waste of talent and assets.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There really is a defense force for everything huh

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
how about Polyphony? Is this a studio that can give so much profit that Sony can pat on its head indefinitely even though there are devs like Evolution Studios which can do racing games way faster than Polyphony could ever dream about? Seems like double standards to me and Sony seemed to act like 'you are either rockstar if you succeed or I will set you on fire if you don't' to Evolution Studios imo.
You do realize that Gran Turismo is Sony's highest selling franchise of all time right?

There really is a defense force for everything huh
I would prefer it if Sony didn't shut down Evolution but it's not like we couldn't see it coming after all of Driveclub's issues. The Motorstorm franchise didn't exactly sell very well either. I mean, Apocalypse was basically put out to die because of the earthquakes in Japan so that wasn't Evolution's fault... but Sony still needs to turn a profit in order to operate a studio. Sorry if that upsets you.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
One of the things I really appreciated about DriveClub was that it wasn't open world, so I reject your notion.

For one thing, there are too many open world games in the AAA market as it is, and for another, I genuinely believe that that kind of environmental design detracts from the experience when it comes to the racing genre. I prefer tight, deliberate level design and the sense of progression felt from seeing new locations as I continue playing, as opposed to the freedom to go anywhere that open world offers. I really don't care about the latter.

Would love a DriveClub 2 though.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
We don't really need every racing game to go open world. Driveclub is one of the last arcade-ish closed track racing games.

OP
OP
EGOMON

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
But what ERA want doesn't reflect what the majority if the industry want, and open world games has better chance at success than closed roads, I just want Driveclub to be successful and open world formula seems to be working for everyone

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
This open world trend needs to stop. It's so dull in racing games imo. Driveclub certainly doesn't need it; the way it presents events is done with very nice presentation.

If you want open world games you've got way too many options already. I prefer racing games that put me right into the action.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But what ERA want doesn't reflect what the majority if the industry want, and open world games has better chance at success than closed roads, I just want Driveclub to be successful and open world formula seems to be working for everyone
Not really, they just want to appeal to as much of an audience as they can, but doesn't mean a better final game.

Open world driving is far more casual friendly so it's not a surprise that's what they want to do.

ps3ud0 8)

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks to an open world DriveClub. I however would rip someone's arm off for another season pass and a Pro patch, not that either could ever happen.

I wish Sony could have stuck with Evolution a bit longer, IMO their output was better than Polyphony's and their games were a lot more fun.

After all the Driveclub patches and content drops, they had a really good base to work from going forward.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
This open world trend needs to stop. It's so dull in racing games imo. Driveclub certainly doesn't need it; the way it presents events is done with very nice presentation.

If you want open world games you've got way too many options already. I prefer racing games that put me right into the action.

I agree somewhat but I still load up Forza Horizon 3 on my PC every weekend and have an absolute blast.

DriveClub ended up being a fantastic game, it's just a shame it wasn't where it is now at launch. I'd love another in the same style.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you OP. Exactly my thoughts!
There are simply no good arcade racers on PS4 these last years and the only thing that makes me want an XBox is Forza Horizon. I absolutely understand why Sony doesn't develop any FPS anymore given the fact that there are more than enough competent Third-Party alternatives.

Arcade racers tho? Nope.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you OP. Exactly my thoughts!
There are simply no good arcade racers on PS4 these last years and the only thing that makes me want an XBox is Forza Horizon. I absolutely understand why Sony doesn't develop any FPS anymore given the fact that there are more than enough competent Third-Party alternatives.

Arcade racers tho? Nope.

Open world racer =/= arcade racer.

A game doesn't need to open open world to be an arcade racer.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes definitely. Don't care much about Sony racing games, but I love Forza Horizon and Need For Speed type racer.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Don't know man.

Forza Horizon is pretty awesome.

We already have 3 AAA open world racers, do we really need a 4th one?
Open world racer =/= arcade racer.

A game doesn't need to open open world to be an arcade racer.

Open world racing simulator would hardly be as fun as an arcade one. Horizon is so fun/popular because you can do whatever you want, I imagine that would not be the case with a simulator.