• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like Sony will be (sort of) following other publishers and announcing games... somewhat closer to release going forward.

Mind, they're seemingly still not announce 6-8 months prior to launch, so it's a longer lead than some of their competitors.

Publishers may be waiting longer to unveil new games in development. That's the message from PlayStation Worldwide Studios SVP Michael Denny, who explained to GameSpot that keeping Sucker Punch's new project, Ghost of Tsushima, secret was a deliberate move. The game, which is the Infamous studio's first new IP in eight years, was revealed during the PlayStation briefing at Paris Games Week last month.
"I think we're learning and a lot of publishers are learning ... there is a right time to announce games," Denny explained.

"In the past, I think it's fair to say sometimes we announced games too early. And this is such a great project for Sucker Punch. It's a game they've always really wanted to make themselves. And I think it's the right time to announce that, and they've been working on that game for a long time now. There is great [playable version of the game] already. So we're just excited to let everybody know about it."
Ghost of Tsushima still doesn't have a fixed release date, so it's hard to say what "too early" means in Sucker Punch's case.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...n-exec-sometimes-we-announced-games-too-early

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
You don't freaking say.

Hopefully they start announcing games closer to their actual release.

Except Square-Enix games.

Because Square-Enix will never learn.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For Sony, this is basically a "water is wet" moment. It's why I always hesitate to get excited about their E3 conferences, since I know most of their content is about two years away after announcement.

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
giphy.gif

Oct 29, 2017
In other news, water is wet.

I seriously don't get why publishers/devs announce games before they can even estimate what year it's coming out. :/

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wish everyone would just follow Nintendo in this regard. Could save a lot of heartaches.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
And they've felt that burn last E3.

They'll likely ease off the pedal until they're at a point where stuff gets announced 6-12 months in advance

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Bloodborne had the best announcement to release time frame. However, usually I am fine with waiting. It'd worse to have nothing to play and wait, which is thankfully not the case for me.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Some hype is needed. Don't do it for all of your games. But for games like TLOU2 or Death Stranding? Yeah, do it!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Announcing a game and then seeing it again and again in the next 2/3 E3 or other shows is really awful indeed.
Completely kills the hype of those not hyper excited.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna play devil's advocate here. Sony sure as fuck announce games way too soon, but (lately, at least) they can get away with it because they've filled the downtime with games. I don't mind that they announced The Last of Us 2 and Days Gone fucking entire generations in advance, because we've had Horizon and shit to play in the meantime.

It was a massive issue for a long time though, when they had no filler.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really?

It seems to work for them really, really well. E3 2015 of Dreams and all that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 also had a long window between announcement and release.

But don't worry. Square-Enix still beats you there.

And Capcom is a good offender too ! They announced RE2 Remake just after the boss gave his approval before they even formed a team !

Yeah, I wish everyone would just follow Nintendo in this regard. Could save a lot of heartaches.

Just like Kirby Return to Dreamland was announced in 2005 and released in 2011 ?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You don't freaking say.

Square Enix BD2 actually said they'll probably wait until their next game is about a year away before announcing it, i think that will be spread among the rest of SE especially after KH3 and FF7 had major development setbacks.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No problem Sony as well long as your games are top notch I'm fine.

Can't wait for Sucker Punch new IP!

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony was following a rational strategy by announcing early. It was early in the generation, Xbox was a more serious competitor, and each announcement could potentially tilt some consumers toward Sony at a critical time.

Now it's rational to announce later. Presumably there's a "sweet spot" for timing that it now makes sense to hit, given that the generation is more or less established.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
You don't freaking say.

Going to agree here. I skimmed through the E3 2013 video, and noticed that Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced as being in development and that's still next year barring a further delay. And we all know what happened with Final Fantasy XV. Announcing games is fine but if it's too far ahead of time like that it really kills the hype IMO. A more Fallout 4-esque would be a better way of doing it IMO and I'm glad to see Sony looks to want to move closer to that end of the spectrum.

Nov 3, 2017
Death Stranding now delayed to 2022

but really I'd rather know something's coming, then forget, then get hyped up again when it's really ready for show and release instead of knowing nothing for 3+ years, tease me

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
I dont mind them announcing games too early but Sony should have a healthy mix. Announcing TLOU part II early is fine, every knows it is coming, you announcing it early and showing snippets builds hype and give the fanbase something to talk about. I was kinda hoping when Sony announced Sucker Punches new IP they would have done a E3 2018 reveal with gameplay, then PSX 2018 more gameplay with a release date for whenever it launches.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This topic brings back warm memories from that one thread we had about the subject on the old forum. But yes, I absolutely prefer game announcements closer to release.

Example: before E3 2017, I had no idea I would be playing one of the best 2D Metroids within a few months. SUCH A GREAT FEELING.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I think they got into a bad cycle trying to fill both E3 and PSX with big announcements. Seems like they're trying to get on a more reigned in announcement schedule now with them not announcing too many new games this year.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They actually released their game from the 'big 3' at E32015

They can't do anything about Shenmue or VII-R

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix BD2 actually said they'll probably wait until their next game is about a year away before announcing it, i think that will be spread among the rest of SE especially after KH3 and FF7 had major development setbacks.
They actually don't have that much announced going into 2018, especially on the console side.

On the Western side, their only """announced""" game is that they're working on a game related to The Avengers.

On the Japanese side, they have Kingdom Hearts 3, the FF7 remake, Left Alive, and Project Octopath. There's also Dissidia, though that's out in January, and was technically released a few years ago in arcades.

Oct 25, 2017
WILD like disappeared so yeah, I would say in some cases, they definitely announce too early...others, not so much. But I'm okay with them announcing closer to release so that its accessible sooner rather than a dragged out wait later.

This is probably going to be a real problem with gamers who say they are okay with this, but then gaming events will happen, and they are disappointed that there is nothing to show, not realizing that games do take years to show. Ahhhhhh.....I'll never get tired of that lol