• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
From Dutchnews.nl:
Sony is planning to merge its European business into its Dutch arm to soften the impact of a no-deal Brexit, Britain's Telegraph newspaper said on Monday.

The unit will be responsible for the Tokyo giant's electronics business in Europe and the deal will be completed on March 29 2019, the paper says. It bases its claims on merger documents.

According to the Dutch chamber of trade documents, Sony Europe BV was established in May last year and the merger documents with Sony Europe Limited were deposited with the chamber in November. The company's statutory base is Hoofddorp, near Schiphol airport.
Telegraph has more details apparently, but behind login/paywall.

Hurray for Brexit

edit: update
Only the legal entity is merging for tax purposes, not the offices/people.
A spokesman for Sony says to NU.nl that it is only a legal adjustment: "It only concerns a change of the legal entity of Sony Ltd. to Sony Europe BV" There would be no question of a physical move.
https://www.nu.nl/brexit/5695844/so...oor-naar-amsterdam-verplaatsen-om-brexit.html

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much more we can expect Brexit to impact the UK gaming market. Higher prices maybe?

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Just to give some perspective. A no deal Brexit would hit the GDP of the UK around 4 times higher than the 2008 financial crisis.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Do we know how much of their team will be relocated to Holand and how much will be laid off to hire locals? I hope they relocate a lot of people, nobody should lose their job because of incompetent politicians and people who vote with their asses, plus the Netherlands seems like a much nicer place to live due to bikes, weather, culture and food (in my opinion).

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
What a shitshow with that Brexit stuff, did no one at the government foresaw all the consequences from doing such a dumb thing?

The government didn't think there was any chance people would vote to leave, they called the referendum because they'd promised it during their election campaign

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
John Bercow, please save the UK!
They want to become like us (Norway) and that's the worst of both worlds (being in the EU without having any power in the EU).

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
the absolute state of this god forsaken shithole

embarrassed to say i'm british tbh

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
John Bercow, please save the UK!
They want to become like us (Norway) and that's the worst of both worlds (being in the EU without having any power in the EU).

Being in the single market and having a customs arrangement with the EU while worse than our current deal, is still significantly better than May's deal and orders of magnitude better than no deal. It's all relative.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
What a shitshow with that Brexit stuff, did no one at the government foresaw all the consequences from doing such a dumb thing?
The majority of MPs were campaigning for remain with the referendum, so I think they did... No one also thought Leave would actually win, lol.

Unfortunately Cameron seemingly forgot the Tories and our right wing press had been using the EU and immigration as scapegoats for their failures. So combine that with the facts that the Remain campaign was kind of just bad and the Leave campaign was effectively cheating between extra secretive funding as well as spouting a whole lot of lies, and you get the frustrating situation the country is in now. The majority of MPs back Leave now because they don't want to be seen as going against the "will of the people".

Mind you it's even worse than that still because we've got a PM who cannot be ousted who wants a deal pushed through that very few others actually want (it already got voted down in a record defeat but shes going at it again). She knows that she can use fear to her advantage by running down the click and dangling no brexit under the brexiteers and no deal brexit under the remainers.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish they'd just revoke Article 50 so we can start repairing all the damage that has been caused by this mess, before it gets any worse.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Turns out this article is incorrect, as Sony has now provided clarification.

Only the legal entity is merging for tax purposes, not the offices/people.
A spokesman for Sony says to NU.nl that it is only a legal adjustment: "It only concerns a change of the legal entity of Sony Ltd. to Sony Europe BV" There would be no question of a physical move.
https://www.nu.nl/brexit/5695844/so...oor-naar-amsterdam-verplaatsen-om-brexit.html

Eolz The OP should be updated.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Being in the single market and having a customs arrangement with the EU while worse than our current deal, is still significantly better than May's deal and orders of magnitude better than no deal. It's all relative.
Lol they don't even want that, that'd be way easier if that was the case.

It seems to be the dream of Ms. May, however they burned their bridges already I think. Only way to cancel article 50 now is to stay in the EU fully..

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much more we can expect Brexit to impact the UK gaming market. Higher prices maybe?

Probably not, the products will still adhere to both sets of market regulations, shouldn't make a difference, won't need to be checked on the way in or anything.

UK retail will work in the same way, so prices and the subsequent steep drops, will be the same.

Oct 30, 2017
The government didn't think there was any chance people would vote to leave, they called the referendum because they'd promised it during their election campaign
David Cameron only offered it to silence Brexit supporting backbenchers as he thought he would be in another minority government. He assumes that the Lib Dems could vote referendum talks down, but then they won a majority.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be the dream of Ms. May, however they burned their bridges already I think. Only way to cancel article 51now is to stay in the EU fully..
I dunno about that I think EU would be open to negotiations without the red lines set by Maybot. They'd rather a softer Brexit I'd imagine.

But yeah, ain't happening while May's stubborn ass is in power.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Brexit is going to hit the UK gaming industry hard in the same way it'll hit most industries. Even if the offices haven't moved yet I can definitely see them moving in the future once 'Brexit' has actually started.

To give some further perspective, a no-deal Brexit will never happen.

This sounds a lot like "Leave will never win." or "Trump won't make it past the primaries," tbh. I've seen no real indication that no-deal is an impossibility outside of a few hopeful "we'll get an A50 extension!" predictions. May refuses to rule it out and she's very much the only driver at the wheel here.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's hope they now realize that Spain is Sonyland and top 4 European market in revenue but they still didn't released PS Now in this country.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
the absolute state of this god forsaken shithole

embarrassed to say i'm british tbh
The bunch of idiots in Westminster and the ignorance of 17m voters doesn't somehow make the entire country a "shithole". Of course there are shitholes in the UK, and you may well live in one, but I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed in the last two years.
This sounds a lot like "Leave will never win." or "Trump won't make it past the primaries," tbh. I've seen no real indication that no-deal is an impossibility outside of a few hopeful "we'll get an A50 extension!" predictions. May refuses to rule it out and she's very much the only driver at the wheel here.
A no-deal Brexit would immediately break the Good Friday agreement. Neither the UK nor EU would actually let that happen and you can be sure of a last minute emergency A50 extension if not earlier. You need to stop taking Rees-Mogg and those lorry queue parks so seriously.

Last edited: