• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...nvestigating-playstation-over-price-increases

Sony under investigation for pricing various PS4 games on the PS Store (eg Red Dead Redemption 2) far too high (469,00 TL / USD$88). Sony first party game God of War is one of the titles accused according to the original document

The investigation document accuses Sony of increasing prices beyond those that could be considered "normal in the market conditions as of September-October," which "negatively affects the purchasing behavior of consumers" and "is deceptive and misleading."

For the time being there will be no penalty placed on Sony, but the Ministry has asked Sony to provide a detailed explanation of the reason behind these price increases, as well as an explanation of the company's foreign exchange price policy and other material that will aid them in determining whether the price increases were justified.

You can read the original document (in pdf) here
http://e-belge.gtb.gov.tr/

This is the document code to key into that site
0b9fd157-f280-4399-ac8e-29673155c78b

I have downloaded and uploaded the pdf and you can view it by the link below. You can google translate it
https://www.scribd.com/document/393744587/ad6ae2a7ebac4969bb31777c592341b6-Ustyazi

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
They should investigate Nintendo as well. Seems like the prices are way too high there.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There's all kinds of fuckery when it comes to pricing of games in Turkey. They end up costing like x3 their price parity point after taxes, luxury taxes, exchange rate (which is miserable right now) and many distributors being third parties instead of the publishers themselves.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Several publishers rose up prices since Trump's decisions about taxes

I thought it was a decision made by publishers for the price on PS Store

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Do they sell Nintendo games in Turkey?
Because if anyone should be investigated lol.

Regarding the topic, aren't they allowed to charge whatever they want?

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
How can you price a game too high? Shouldn't the firm (Sony) determine the most efficient price to maximize profits?

Oct 30, 2017
Expensive. But how is the price "deceptive and misleading"? Does it show one price on the game page and a different at checkout?

PureLeaf

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What are the prices on the Xbox store for comparison?

If third party games are named in the investigation then this wouldn't be a Sony specific issue right? Unless there's a "Playstation tax", and Xbox/PC are "normal" priced.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
That applies to every platform holder. PC/Steam stores are the only ones treating people outside those big places fairly.
Nah, at least in my country a PS4 is like 400-500 with 3 games. Sure, it's more expensive than the official pricings, but a Switch costs like 700 with a game.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, at least in my country a PS4 is like 400-500 with 3 games. Sure, it's more expensive than the official pricings, but a Switch costs like 700 with a game.

The comment still applies. People in the US are getting a PS4 with Spiderman for $199... In the US they can get a switch with Mario kart for $250...

With $500 you can buy a switch or a ps4 here, but we are still second class markets.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Seems to me that the prices mentioned in the article are pretty much just slightly more regular EU PS Store prices? 469 TL for RDR2 is about 790 SEK and almost what I have to pay here in Sweden if I'm gonna buy RDR2 from the PS Store.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Seems to me that the prices mentioned in the article are pretty much just slightly more regular EU PS Store prices? 469 TL for RDR2 is about 790 SEK and almost what I have to pay here in Sweden if I'm gonna buy RDR2 from the PS Store.
Yes but you have to look at this in context.

The TL has devalued significantly recently, so whereas these games were previously priced at around 279-299 TL up until just a couple of months ago, they're now significantly higher. Of course they will still convert to USD at a similar level to before the currency crash, but as far as Turks are concerned this is a massive overnight price increase.

But I'd expect it to affect most imports in Turkey - immediate inflation is the inevitable reality of a currency crash.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Seems odd in the sense that a company can decide to charge whatever they want for a product. It's up to people to decide whether they want to pay it

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That applies to every platform holder. PC/Steam stores are the only ones treating people outside those big places fairly.
You're right about PC/Steam being the best ones in this aspect, but Nintendo products are still the most expensive by far in the console space. Their distribution outside of the 3 big markets is a joke in comparison to the other 2 and makes prices crazy high.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing will come of it. Aral (distributor) has a monopoly on most third party games, and even though they got fined for it a while ago (alongside tech retailers) nothing has changed.

A Switch is still 500 USD.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The comment still applies. People in the US are getting a PS4 with Spiderman for $199... In the US they can get a switch with Mario kart for $250...

With $500 you can buy a switch or a ps4 here, but we are still second class markets.
Yeah, but a PS4 costing 500 with 3 games is fair, considering taxes, transportation costs and the extra price they need for profit. This is because Sony and especially Microsoft oficially support Latam.

Nintendo doesn't. They don't even have the eShop for the 3Ds here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
You're right about PC/Steam being the best ones in this aspect, but Nintendo products are still the most expensive by far in the console space. Their distribution outside of the 3 big markets is a joke in comparison to the other 2 and makes prices crazy high.

I agree. Nintendo is the biggest one at fault here.

Yeah, but a PS4 costing 500 with 3 games is fair, considering taxes, transportation costs and the extra price they need for profit. This is because Sony and especially Microsoft oficially support Latam.

It is not fair. We have Sony stores here, and even they sell their own products at a much higher prices. All console manufactures do it, ones (Nintendo) more than others, but they all do.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Uh, how is pricing not entirely up to Sony? This sounds ridiculous, it's not like we're talking about something necessary for life.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
this seems kinda dumb for
a) does it count in regional taxes for physical games
b) does sony have any control over prices of games they didnt publish??

and why is people bringing up Nintendo the court?

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this seems kinda dumb for
a) does it count in regional taxes for physical games
b) does sony have any control over prices of games they didnt publish??

and why is people bringing up Nintendo the court?

Thats what the ministry is trying for find out...what kind of factors went in which increase that prices.

As for why people are bringing up Nintendo...don't ask.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018

Brazillian eshop worked, but anything that ain't Capcom is double price compared to others.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Nintendo actually has really good price for physical copies in South East Asia.
Games like Super Mario Party and Mario Tennis Aces are sold at lower price than PS4 games (US$50 vs US$60).
Both the prices I quoted are without any discount.
Obviously their AAA games like Zelda retails at usual US$60.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo actually has really good price for physical copies in South East Asia.
Games like Super Mario Party and Mario Tennis Aces are sold at lower price than PS4 games (US$50 vs US$60).
Both the prices I quoted are without any discount.
Obviously their AAA games like Zelda retails at usual US$60.

Yeah for SEA tx for lolsoft, we are actually improving. But still, many fuckery happen as we still dont have a proper eshop. Like why?

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have added the link where you can view the original document in pdf to the OP for better context.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
People from other countries were buying there games, all new games this last months were like 4X euro, and if u share them/2

Really profitable