• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
So i spoke about this on GAF that there other site, and at e3 Sony said every game they showed for 2018 would be released in the first half of the year, which is JAN-JUN. So i had taken a stab at guessing what those dates probably look like. I'll add in my original list which included my reasoning then, and my now edited one since we know one of those release dates:

Old List:
Jan: SotCR (I'm assuming bluepoint has been working on this game for a while, & im assuming the least work remains to be done. I expect us to get the date at PSX. January gives them a nice start to the year & jumps Far Cry 5. I.e. like Nioh this year)

Feb: Days Gone (this is my biggest stretch. But I cannot imagine another year of media cycle for this game & that it's farther along than ppl think. Remember ppl were expecting Bend's game for years, & they have been possibly working on it possibly since the PS4 specs were final in around 2012/13. And feb continues a 1st party new IP tradition started with horizon maybe?)

March: Detroit (this was also announced as an early 2018 & march seems like a perfect slot for it. Nothing major announced so far for march 2018, if I'm not mistaken)

April: God of War (this is usually where we get big spring games, and I expect an April date for this, I would've chosen May, but my reasoning for spider-man will explain why I didn't)

May: Spider-Man (this game is not connected to the MCU, is not bound by movie tie-ins, but I will be completely & utterly shocked, if Sony doesn't launch their huge exclusive Spider-Man game in the same month that marvel's huge movie (Infinity War) releases that includes spider-man and will surely feature him in its advertisements. It's too good & too simple an opportunity to pass up & best believe the movie will sell copies of the game if not for the sole reason of kids watched Spider-Man on screen & now they want to go home and play spider-man at home.)

New List:

JANUARY:

- *Nothing* Think they'll leave this for their marketing deal with Monster Hunter World.
FEBRUARY:

- February 6, 2018 Shadow of the Colossus Remake
- Late Feb: Detroit (I think these two can both do great in February)
MARCH:
- Days Gone (I believe we will see a March date at PSX)
APRIL:
-
God of War (prime Spring real estate), Uncharted 4 was slated for April 26th before the last delay, a good spot for their flagship title.
MAY:
-
Spider-Man (off the strength of Avengers and all the free marketing that does for Sony by having Spider-Man on movie screens, TV ads for that, and then their own marketing, easy slam dunk.)

what do you think?

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That list mostly checks out, I just think Detroit will release later than that.

EDIT: Or did I miss something, is Detroit supposed to release in Feb?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to release god of war and spiderman so close to each other, plus with red dead 2 looming around april-may as well. I'm thinking June for spiderman and March for god of war. Despite whatever they said, days gone will slip into fall in the months before all the big yearly rehashes come out. So some time around september/october.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I see Spider-Man releasing in the second half of 2018, maybe Days Gone too (I think there's a reason that one wasn't even mentioned at PGW).

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
February - Shadow of the Colossus

March - God of War. Series has a history of launching in March plus it's slated for early 2018

April/May - Detroit. This is slated for Spring so one of these months makes sense

Summer - Spidey

I'm not confident in Days Gone hitting 2018 but I can see an August or early September date

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
They said spring for Detroit so I doubt it is coming before April.

Feb - sotc
Mar - gow
April/May- Detroit/Spider-Man
July/August- days gone

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

March - God of War. Series has a history of launching in March plus it's slated for early 2018

April/May - Detroit. This is slated for Spring so one of these months makes sense

Summer - Spidey

I'm not confident in Days Gone hitting 2018 but I can see an August or early September date

This sounds right.

Though the only way I see Days Gone not hitting next year is if it gets a formal delay.

MCD250

Oct 27, 2017

Summer - Spidey

I could see it going like this. They can pad out the intervening months with marketing deals like Red Dead and smaller releases like Ni No Kuni.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
January: Blank
February: Shadow of the Colossus (natch)
March: God of War
April: Detroit
June: Spider-Man
August/September: Days Gone

Then as a bonus Dreams will probably be October or December if it's on track for next year. Concrete Genie probably in October too.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
If I remember correctly, everything they showed with a year attached at E3, would hit the first half of 2018. Days Gone did not have a year attached, so I think we can expect that in the back half of the year if it hits 2018 at all. I doubt we'll have a window on it (or Ghost of Tsushima for that matter) until E3 next year. Anyways:

We know this one already.

March - God of War
The series traditionally releases in March, makes sense to have them here.

April - Detroit: Become Human
I figure it lands here because they're going to want May clear for RDR2 to dominate.

June - Spider-Man
Red Dead 2 can own May, Spidey will swing in as kids are getting out of school for the summer and rake it all the money.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, everything they showed with a year attached at E3, would hit the first half of 2018. Days Gone did not have a year attached, so I think we can expect that in the back half of the year if it hits 2018 at all. I doubt we'll have a window on it (or Ghost of Tsushima for that matter) until E3 next year. Anyways:

We know this one already.

March - God of War
The series traditionally releases in March, makes sense to have them here.

April - Detroit: Become Human
I figure it lands here because they're going to want May clear for RDR2 to dominate.

June - Spider-Man
Red Dead 2 can own May, Spidey will swing in as kids are getting out of school for the summer and rake it all the money.

You remember it correctly.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Feb - Days Gone - I think this is closest to release and the only reason it wasn't at Paris is a combination of final crunch and a big blow out for PSX. I think Sony also recognise a need for this game to be well before TLOU2

March - God of War - Releasing in March is basically a GOW tradition.

April - Spider-Man - Sony probably would have wanted to release this in line with the SM movie, but I think they will settle on Avengers 3

April - Detroit - Not basing this on anything, it feels pretty far along I think at least before E3

July - SOTC - feels like a good summer months game

November - Ghosts of Tsushima - Totally speculating. It feels like it has been in the oven a long time and they've held off on marketing. It's been awhile since Sucker Punch have released a game but I seem to recall they are always pretty quick between announcement to release

2019 - TLOU2 - Feels like a long wait but I believe 2019 has been pretty comprehensively nodded at

2019 - Death Stranding - For obvious reasons. Could even be 2020

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not going to release god of war and spiderman so close to each other, plus with red dead 2 looming around april-may as well. I'm thinking June for spiderman and March for god of war. Despite whatever they said, days gone will slip into fall in the months before all the big yearly rehashes come out. So some time around september/october.
Sony has never shown an issue with packing the first half of year with their releases

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that we'll be seeing SotC, Spider-Man and God of War within the first 4 or so months, expecting a game like Days gone to be a holiday 2018 title.

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I'm going to go broke!! and that's only for 1 console... I can't imagine the other consoles having just as much big games coming out so early in the year.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Feb - SOTC
March - GOW
April - Detroit
June - Spider-Man

I think Concrete Genie and Days Gone will be august games. Sony doesn't need anything in Jan since they have MHW marketing and Japanese exclusives in NNK2 and Dissidia. May will be RDR2 month so nothing there. Dreams is the big wildcard. I honestly can't predict when that hits

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SOTC - february
GOW - march
Detroit - april
Spider-Man - june
Days Gone - september

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has never shown an issue with packing the first half of year with their releases

With smaller games sure but never with their huge releases that they actually put marketing money into. I can see them throwing Detroit under the bus with minimal marketing or putting it out next to a big 3rd party game and SotC remake will get pushed out with 0 marketing too but the big 3, GoW/spiderman/days gone are going to have their own spotlight as best as Sony can. They obviously can't control what 3rd parties do but they're going to try to position them in months where they're the biggest games for whatever month they launch in.

Deleted member 25323

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Feb- SotC
March- GoW
April- Detroit
June- Spider-Man

I don't think Days Gone is coming until later in the year.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see God of War releasing around E3

Spiderman I can see being a holiday release

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Days gone wont even be 2018.

I think ghosts of tsubasa have a good chance of releasing late 2018 or early 2019.

Spiderman is late 2018

Oct 27, 2017
They already said Detroit was spring so it can't be February OP.

I'd say:

SotC 2/6 obviously
GOW April
RDR2 (not Sony but major) in May
Spider Man in late June/July
Detroit in early June
Dreams September
Ghost October
Days Gone March 2019

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
If I remember correctly, everything they showed with a year attached at E3, would hit the first half of 2018. Days Gone did not have a year attached, so I think we can expect that in the back half of the year if it hits 2018 at all. I doubt we'll have a window on it (or Ghost of Tsushima for that matter) until E3 next year.

this is correct, but IIRC Layden was asked later on about those dates and he said all games attached to 2018 will release in first half of 2018 and Days Gone was coupled with that. I'm currently looking for the exact quote.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think there's a bit of wait and see for "Smaller" games such as Detroit or Days Gone, I doubt we'll knowtheir release date before RDR2 drops his. Less of an issue for GoW or Spiderman which gonna sell a lot anyway.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree, except I think Days Gone comes later in the year. Like August. That'd be perfect for it.

Sony having to navigate this many exclusive releases with the potential landmines from third parties is gonna be quite the challenge. Red Dead Redemption 2 is just sitting there, sucking all the air out of the industry while we wait for its release date announcement. We all hope that Kingdom Hearts 3 actually releases next year too, (which I think won't be much of a problem for Sony; I see it releasing during the holidays, when PlayStation likes to let third parties eat). And then there's Anthem.

Whew.

Oct 27, 2017
None of the games Sony has up their sleeve I'm currently looking forward to. Spiderman and God of War might have been those games, but I haven't been impressed with the showings of either of them.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how pressure Insomniac is feeling from Marvel and Sony to hit summer release. It really is great spot from marketing perspective.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jan -Ni No Kuni II/Dissida/Monster Hunter World (Marketing Deal)
Feb - Shadow of the Colossus/Far Cry 5 (Marketing Deal)
Mar - Detroit/Yakuza 6
Apr - God of War
May - Red Dead Redemption (Marketing Deal)
Jun/Jul - Spider-Man
Aug/Sep- Dreams
Oct - Days Gone

Spring - Ghost of Tsushima
Summer - The Last of Us Part II
Autmn - Death Stranding

Last edited:

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
February: SOTC
March: God of War
April: Days Gone and Detroit
May/June: Spiderman

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Summer - Spidey

I agree. Days Gone will be late 2018 or early 2019.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am the only predicting Last of Us Part II comes out in the first half of 2018? I can see it coming out this June since that will make a full 5 years since the original was released.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If this really does happen I wonder what's slated for the 2nd half. I would be surprised if Death Stranding or Shenmue were ready by then.

Dreams is still M.I.A.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Jan - Monster Hunter [Marketing] / Ni No Kuni 2 and Dissidia [console ex for now]
Feb - SotC Remake
Mar - God of War / Yakuza 6 [console ex]
Apr - Detroit and MLB
May - Red Dead 2 [marketing] (if its not delayed)
June - Spider-Man
Autumn - Days Gone
Late Fall - Ghost of Tsushima (probably getting delayed for Spring 2019)

Last of Us Part 2
Death Stranding (Come on Waititi)

Horizon 2 (assuming)

No Idea
Dreams
Wild
Concrete Genie
FF VII Remake [first get]
Shenmue 3 [console ex]
Whatever From is making, if its exclusive
Gravity Team New IP

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People seem to be forgetting Ni No Kuni 2 for some reason, it releases on January 19 2018

Further examples of third party titles important to the PlayStation ecosystem, but these aren't first party lol

I am the only predicting Last of Us Part II comes out in the first half of 2018? I can see it coming out this June since that will make a full 5 years since the original was released.

No way no how.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much agree with everyone else list

Sotc-February
Gow/Mlb 18-March
Detriot-April
Spider-Man - june
Concrete giant-August
Dreams-September

Days gone,GoT,mlb,last of us 2 2019, death stranding