Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Feels like they're just continuing towards 2 types of games: massive highly processed single AAAA game campaigns of which there are about 3 per year, and courting a bazillion indie publishers. "quality and quantity". The problem is, if you don't like 3rd or first person action adventure shooters, but you DO want to play AAAA quality titles, you won't get it with Playstation anymore. All their AAAA games are different flavors of the same game: visual splendor, kill or be killed action, illusion of openness, and set-piece moments (usually just cinema or QTE). The "emotion story" of the games are the same. PS4 got a couple truly fresh titles in No Mans Sky and Last Guardian, but one was really just an indie and the other was 1 gen too late. Dreams is a strong idea but it's just a dev studio with little to play at a pro level of polish and tons of work to create something worth playing, plus it will probably officially launch beside PS5 now. 3rd parties are bringing some freshness but my PC can play these portably and probably other devices via streaming soon.

Bottom line, I'm a PS4 day 1 buyer who was let down by the new Playstation and may not be around for PS5 unless they can deliver a couple ground breaking exclusives that are NOT cut from the same cloth they have been using for the last 3 years.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Feels like they're just continuing towards 2 types of games: massive highly processed single AAAA game campaigns of which there are about 3 per year, and courting a bazillion indie publishers. "quality and quantity". The problem is, if you don't like 3rd or first person action adventure shooters, but you DO want to play AAAA quality titles, you won't get it with Playstation anymore. All their AAAA games are different flavors of the same game: visual splendor, kill or be killed action, illusion of openness, and set-piece moments (usually just cinema or QTE). The "emotion story" of the games are the same. PS4 got a couple truly fresh titles in No Mans Sky and Last Guardian, but one was really just an indie and the other was 1 gen too late. Dreams is a strong idea but it's just a dev studio with little to play and tons of work to create something worth playing, plus it will probably officially launch beside PS5 now. 3rd parties are bringing some freshness but my PC can play these portably and probably other devices via streaming soon.

Bottom line, I'm a PS4 day 1 buyer who was let down by the new Playstation and may not be around for PS5 unless they can deliver a couple ground breaking exclusives that are NOT cut from the same cloth they have been using for the last 3 years.
So we just going with the MS pretentious marking name of AAAA now? Its a stupid term.

To you're point they arent just because you continuall ignore the titles that sony puts out that arent in the AAA space doesnt meant they arent making them. I have a quite a few of them and once i pick up VR this month i'll have even more.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So we just going with the MS pretentious marking name of AAAA now? Its a stupid term.

To you're point they arent just because you continuall ignore the titles that sony puts out that arent in the AAA space doesnt meant they arent making them. I have a quite a few of them and once i pick up VR this month i'll have even more.

For those of us for whom VR isn't really a possibility, though, the number of titles that Sony's putting out that don't fit into the Critically Acclaimed Sony Formula has definitely contracted considerably. They're certainly serving their primary macro-niche extremely well, but they don't have a LOT of options for people who want something outside of it.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I'm really curious how this all falls together. When I was in Europe the PS brand had a very different "feel" based on what was marketted (Singstar and FIFA). Curious if you can deliver a single message across the board without needing to significantly water down the brand differences across regions.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For those of us for whom VR isn't really a possibility, though, the number of titles that Sony's putting out that don't fit into the Critically Acclaimed Sony Formula has definitely contracted considerably. They're certainly serving their primary macro-niche extremely well, but they don't have a LOT of options for people who want something outside of it.
The INDUSTRY HAS CONTRACTED. Asking sony to put out as many games as before is disingenuous when literally nobody can put out as many games as before. There are still plenty of titles without VR but you're choosing to ignore them.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
This guy doesnt even remember how many PSones theyve sold.
Probably because he doesnt think anyone cares about that library.

Yeah, after the launch window and first years passed, PS4 really signaled that Sony was going to be primarily about huge blockbusters.
The Vita was shuttered early, and PSVR is where most of the smaller projects are, which is still new tech.

I guess they're hoping indies will fill the vacuum left where the Starhawks, Twisted Metals, and Vib Ribbons used to be.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He's looked like more suited for a football manager, lol.
A video games executive would never belong there
peter-moore-ea.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, after the launch window and first years passed, PS4 really signaled that Sony was going to be primarily about huge blockbusters.
The Vita was shuttered early, and PSVR is where most of the smaller projects are, which is still new tech.

I guess they're hoping indies will fill the vacuum left where the Starhawks, Twisted Metals, and Vib Ribbons used to be.

Yup. Unfortunately indies really aren't good at filling the kinds of niches that used to make Playstation consoles so appealing. They're more making the PS platform feel more like PC sans mods than anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Yup. Unfortunately indies really aren't good at filling the kinds of niches that used to make Playstation consoles so appealing. They're more making the PS platform feel more like PC sans mods than anything else.

agreed. I'm a huge Sony 1st party fan and I think they had enough underperforming games during PS3, that they're just going to stick to big Naughty Dog-esque games.

Whenever a Concrete Genie exists, it doesn't seem to be prioritized enough.

Was WiLD ever cancelled?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
agreed. I'm a huge Sony 1st party fan and I think they had enough underperforming games during PS3, that they're just going to stick to big Naughty Dog-esque games.

Whenever a Concrete Genie exists, it doesn't seem to be prioritized enough.

Was WiLD ever cancelled?

I'm not sure. I think Michel Ancel said it was still being worked on a while back but as far as public showings go, it's been a couple years.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I dunno about that regional marketing thing. Yeah its great to tailor marketing to region where appropriate but thinking ff7 is a japanese segmented thing where most of se priority lies global seems misplaced somehow. Dont make things too segmented

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

They do seem to have the best VR platform in terms of library depth and price point, plus the experiences are fresh, if a bit short. This could be their best angle for me on PS5; affordable full wireless VR and 2nd gen VR games with greater depth and better execution. I never bit on PSVR due to all the wires and other hardware weaknesses. Maybe this BF I'll take a look if they have a headset only option (I have 2 Moves). As for 'AAAA' I don't know what else to say. They're spending a lot more on a lot fewer titles.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Glad he's giving us some clarity on the direction they're heading.

Also: wouldn't be a Jim Ryan thread without people bringing up that out-of-context BC quote.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
That's industry wide though.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Can we finally shut up about the fact he was trying to sell gt sport at a gt sport event and made a Brit style joke about how gt1/2 looked next to the extremely modern and amazing looking gt sport? Does nobody get that he wasn't being serious?

Guess not

No matter how many times the context is pointed out, certain people are still sticking with the notion they prefer.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I dunno about that regional marketing thing. Yeah its great to tailor marketing to region where appropriate but thinking ff7 is a japanese segmented thing where most of se priority lies global seems misplaced somehow. Dont make things too segmented
I don't know, I just saw japan live action ad for CoD Modern Warfare, seems like Sony still do regional marketing. I mean yeah FF7 got that 15 minute advert that probably will stay in Japan, but I'm sure they will still market it heavily globally as well

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this video last night and thought it was excellent.

Ben Hanson is already putting in some good work over at MinnMax.

It's notable that with the exception of Layden and House, the people that he mentioned as leaving weren't there when Sony launched the PS3 and then managed to turn things around. They joined during or after the transition to the PS4. So shakeups and new looks at the company aren't necessarily new.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like they're just continuing towards 2 types of games: massive highly processed single AAAA game campaigns of which there are about 3 per year, and courting a bazillion indie publishers. "quality and quantity". The problem is, if you don't like 3rd or first person action adventure shooters, but you DO want to play AAAA quality titles, you won't get it with Playstation anymore. All their AAAA games are different flavors of the same game: visual splendor, kill or be killed action, illusion of openness, and set-piece moments (usually just cinema or QTE). The "emotion story" of the games are the same. PS4 got a couple truly fresh titles in No Mans Sky and Last Guardian, but one was really just an indie and the other was 1 gen too late. Dreams is a strong idea but it's just a dev studio with little to play at a pro level of polish and tons of work to create something worth playing, plus it will probably officially launch beside PS5 now. 3rd parties are bringing some freshness but my PC can play these portably and probably other devices via streaming soon.

This post is pretty funny considering Death Stranding is launching right now

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This post is pretty funny considering Death Stranding is launching right now

Eh. Death Stranding, for all its weirdness, is still an open world third person adventure game with a huge budget. Just because it's a shooter where you're encouraged not to shoot people doesn't change the fact it is still a shooter.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That comment about wanting to transition PS4 owners to PS5 faster than ever been done before sounds like more than just PS4 backwards compatibility to me.

It's notable that with the exception of Layden and House, the people that he mentioned as leaving weren't there when Sony launched the PS3 and then managed to turn things around. They joined during or after the transition to the PS4. So shakeups and new looks at the company aren't necessarily new.

They aren't. Social media made people leaving or changing positions out to be some new spectacular thing.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Very optimistic with the messaging. The ship is in the right hands for the ever changing industry.

I don't believe in some hyperbolic statements which overblow the situation. I feel more optimistic than ever especially with how Sony has handled this upcoming transition to PS5 and how they're cleverly unveiling it piece by piece.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Death Stranding, for all its weirdness, is still an open world third person adventure game with a huge budget. Just because it's a shooter where you're encouraged not to shoot people doesn't change the fact it is still a shooter.

If you told someone that Death Stranding was a shooter, and then they went and bought it, is there any way that they don't end up being disappointed in the game? Yes, you can certainly shooter in it, but that's not the heart of the game. And when you use that term to describe game, it immediately makes them think of a certain type of game, and that's just now what DS is. That poster was replying to someone that views No Man's Sky and TLG as fresh titles, there's no way that DS doesn't fit in with those two games in terms of how different it feels compared to pretty much any other game.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
That's like calling Uncharted or TLoU a shooter.

Don't we usually use that label for...FPS? Or games with military themes?

Like I wouldn't call Recore a shooter, even tho shooting is heavily used in it.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's like calling Uncharted or TLoU a shooter.

Don't we usually use that label for...FPS? Or games with military themes?

In my book, if the primary combat loop involves aiming a gun at things and shooting them, it's a shooter. So yes, Uncharted is a shooter. The term isn't inherently a bad thing - it's just a descriptor.

It's more just that when you're sick to death of holding L2 to aim a gun and tapping R2 to shoot things in their weak points, games like Death Stranding really aren't going to move the needle for you in a good way, especially when they're wrapped up in the same open world drudgery as most modern AAA games but with the banal part dialed up to Super Saiyan 4.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I am actually one of the people that agrees with his bc comments. Like I don't understand why so many folk want to go back to ps1 and ps2 games on a current console.

However though I did accumulate so many games during the ps3 era digitally and on ps4 and then for them to disappear also on the ps5 seems a bit messed up.

So suddenly my tune changed lmao.

Anyway a good read. We will have to see the execution obviously. There was still a lot of FUD after Layden's departure and there probably still is? This one interview is a first step surely.

Feb 10, 2018
I guess we will see how this business transition effects the transition into a new gen.
In this day an age all that matters is the quality of the product, news of products spread like wildfire.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
As a European it warms my heart to see our influence over my favourite brand grow. Great interview Jim and best of luck with the PS5!