• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Or maybe Horizon Zero Dawn came out 3 years ago? I feel like TLOU2 was announced day1 on pC or something. Not sure what i'm missing here. Its an old game and Sony wants to make some eztra bucks while hyping up the franchise cause Horizon 2 is around the corner.
If first party games are now getting PC releases it's obvious everything could and likely will come to PC from their other studios. Why would you stop with just HZD? You don't. It's going to be everything. Just like when Rockstar doesn't talk about a PC release but everyone knows it's coming sooner than later. Same thing now applies to Sony first party games.

Sony made PS5 a lot less compelling/kind of pointless if you're really in to games like I assume anyone I reply to on here is. They clearly see PC as a big part of their future.

KingT

Oct 30, 2017
I bought the game on release date but didn't have the time to play it.

I guess I will double dipping on this.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've yet to see actual numbers from Microsoft about this though. As in sales numbers not Gamepass numbers. And I think this is going to still be a base by base basis. I don't expect Last of us or Uncharted to be on PC.

I believe this is a case of them more than likely having enough time with Decima and working with Kojima to see how this runs on PC. I also believe since this game is going on 3 years old, that Sony has sold many copies on PS4..

Don't expect PC release to be day one for other titles going forward.
Of course. Although Sony may have similar concepts to MS, I expect them to implement it differently that's consistent with their overall business strategy.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You wonder if this was one of the bigger disagreement's shawn layden had with higher ups? I think it's fine to offer both, but i do believe I would rather have a tiered release so the developers can concentrate on one specific hardware spec, then later go all out and add features/DLC to a PC version.

Of course. Although Sony may have similar concepts to MS, I expect them to implement it differently that's consistent with their overall business strategy.

I feel having it day one on PC hurts their sales for hardware, and I mean that in the sense they are looking at a potential customer to buy VR. Unless they make PSVR or PSVR2 available to work on pc?

Then things will get really interesting?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It's presumptuous to assume this is going extend to PS5 games in any significant way.

Porting last gen heavy hitters to PC is a lucrative endeavor that won't negatively impact next gen hardware sales. When you consider they'll already be doing the leg work to "Remaster" a lot of these games on PS5, most likely as free updates to those who own the PS4 versions, it actually makes a lot of sense to port some to PC storefronts. It'll essentially replace their old remaster business.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Giving people any reason to not enter your walled garden seems dumb to me.

Go to your grocery store and check the freezers. You'll find stuff like this for example:
tgifridays_frozen.png

See, what this restaurant realizes is that they make more money selling their food in a different format than they do by saying "you must go to our restaurant to eat this food." Do they make more off of you in the restaurant? Yep. But they recognize that, of these two groups of people:

1) people who would eat in the restaurant who will now just buy the food to make at home
2) people who would not eat at the restaurant who will buy the food to make at home

The second group's profit is more than the first group's loss.

Same principle here. It's an incredibly outdated view that PC gamers (and mobile ones too, for that matter) are just a different shade of console gamers. They are unique markets, with muuuuuuuch less overlap than traditionalists think.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Sony releasing old gen games on PC when releasing their new console, is a smart way to make money again on previously released games.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Consoles are worthless without exclusives. The PS and Xbox completely overlap in terms of features, so without unique games they might as well just not exist at all. Just kill them both and replace them with a generic box.

They are generic boxes, that's the entire point of consoles.

They give people an option of a generic box that doesn't require any knowledge or messing around with and gives devs a generic baseline to develop games for.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is pretty impressive that ever since Jim took complete control and Shawn got let go, Sony hasn't had a single piece of positive news for me. It's been either negative press or silence. For months.

I'd say that's harsh. But yeah the people saying that the changes in leadership were just a coincidence and a completely normal thing were talking nonsense in hindsight clearly.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They are generic boxes, that's the entire point of consoles.

They give people an option of a generic box that doesn't require any knowledge or messing around with and gives devs a generic baseline to develop games for.

You're missing the most important part of what I said - I'm talking about a generic box that isn't made by Sony or Microsoft and is thus exempt from their stupid little "our consoles are identical but we don't want our games on THEIRS" pissing contest. I want a generic console that plays both of their games.

Playstation has zero value as a CONSOLE without exclusives, the same way that Xbox has zero value as a console if all their games are on PC now. End the console war, move Playstation and Xbox to neutral ground.

Oct 27, 2017
If first party games are now getting PC releases it's obvious everything could and likely will come to PC from their other studios. Why would you stop with just HZD? You don't. It's going to be everything. Just like when Rockstar doesn't talk about a PC release but everyone knows it's coming sooner than later. Same thing now applies to Sony first party games.

Sony made PS5 a lot less compelling/kind of pointless if you're really in to games like I assume anyone I reply to on here is. They clearly see PC as a big part of their future.

'If you're really into games' you dont wait 2+ years for a game to come out on your PC.

The resetera bubble is really strong here.
Most people buy Playstations to play the yearly FIFA and COD. Most people dont even own a desktop anymore. PC gaming and console gaming will always exist. Consoles have ease of use. Thats why some people buy it over a pc.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel having it day one on PC hurts their sales for hardware, and I mean that in the sense they are looking at a potential customer to buy VR. Unless they make PSVR or PSVR2 available to work on pc?

I don't see them having it day one on PC in general but will make exceptions and may implement a strategy of doing PC ports years after they've milked the release on their console.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is only releasing this game on PC because Horizon 2 is a PS5 launch title. You heard it here first.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think Guerilla Games would give us mod tools? Skyrim is so old now, even with combat and combat animation mods Skyrim's foundation is holding it back too much.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't see them having it day one on PC in general but will make exceptions and may implement a strategy of doing PC ports years after they've milked the release on their console.

I'm ok with this strat. Just hope Jimbo isn't flying too close to the son. Their games and brand is at Nintendo peaks in the industry, people buy PlayStations for their exclusive games.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say that's harsh. But yeah the people saying that the changes in leadership were just a coincidence and a completely normal thing were talking nonsense in hindsight clearly.

Jim Ryan's PlayStation is not going to be the same thing we saw for the PS4. Far from it.

I am expecting them to try and go head to head with Microsoft. If they had a Gamepass equivalent (in terms of actual value, not what PSNOW is doing) it would make so much money.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
did sony do that voluntarily, or did MLB force their hand?
also there's minecraft, if one game is enough to consider porting all games.
this discussion is pretty dumb. MS and sony putting their games on pc doesn't mean they're gonna do the same for the competitor's console (other than some specific cases)

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC is a very healthy platform for high-end games. Sony can get most of the sales in the first year by releasing only on PS4/PS5 but after the first year, they can release their games on PC to take advantage of the downstream revenue from budget gamers on PC.

image-2.png

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles are worthless without exclusives. The PS and Xbox completely overlap in terms of features, so without unique games they might as well just not exist at all. Just kill them both and replace them with a generic box.

I don't really agree that the features are the same. I've always leaned Xbox precisely because I kostly play 3rd party games, and the features on Xbox consoles have always come earlier than others (voice chat, cloud saves, name changes, etc...). And moving forward, I'm not really confident in the Playstation line's adherence to best practices for software (like BC, cross-platform functionality, etc...).

And even if I thought the features were the same, what a great world that would be. Console makers would have to improve their features to win customers instead of doing the Nintendo thing of locking you to a device that's missing features found on an original Xbox just because you can't play Zelda otherwise.

Exclusive games have always done one thing; paper over shitty feature sets and design flaws. Console makers can now join the rest of the consumer electronics industry and stop competing on easy mode.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Wow such a great news. Now people can finally realise how beautiful this game is without getting their feeling hurt.

Also Sony please bring all your exclusive to PC even if it's a late port. No more need for consoles for me

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
You wonder if this was one of the bigger disagreement's shawn layden had with higher ups? I think it's fine to offer both, but i do believe I would rather have a tiered release so the developers can concentrate on one specific hardware spec, then later go all out and add features/DLC to a PC version.

I don't think developing for PC at the same time would negatively impact anything much if their tools supported it. Also a tiered plan would just cause the bulk of that market to wait or move on IMO. We see plenty of PC gamers waiting when all they need to do is download a free store. The barrier to entry increases when you need to spend $400-$500 to double dip or buy early. Launching day and date while hype is at its max for the title would likely result in more sales than making some gamers wait where their interest may move onto to newer releases.

The amount of PC enthusiasts who buy a PS just for exclusives will be relatively small compared to the market of PC gamers who would buy day one. There will still be a huge pool of console only gamers to fight over anyways.

It is pretty impressive that ever since Jim took complete control and Shawn got let go, Sony hasn't had a single piece of positive news for me. It's been either negative press or silence. For months.

Out of curiosity, do you consider this negative news?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Genius move. Port an old blockbuster like horizon to pc. Get a shit load of extra cash especially if Epic pay for store exclusive or timed exclusivity.

PC players realise how good this is and now want to buy a ps5 to play the brand new horizon 2.

Already on PS NOW so that's ticked off. All they need to do now is make it a PS plus game over the summer.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Having your console-exclusive big hitters being timed console exclusives seems like a great move to me. The kind of people who'll buy a console to play something will probably still do that (rather than wait more than two years for the privilege) and you get access to the additional buying power of the PC market.

Not to mention the fact that it means your game ceases to be landlocked on a console and becomes playable for far, far longer by many more people.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I think expanding their user base reach with old exclusives and building hype for the sequels that will be temporarily exclusives to their new console is a great way to attract more consumers, also a way for more people to experience very good games. So yeah, I think this is actually a fantastic idea.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Sony games coming to PC will end the console wars. I'm still buying both consoles because I don't care for PC gaming but I think this will be best for everyone. Now I don't gotta hear " Sony and PC are the best combo to go with" in every damn Xbox thread. Interested in seeing those peoples views on this news. This will expose numerous fanboys. I think we're slowly headed to a PC only future which I think will be best for everyone besides not personally wanting it.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
The fact that I'm happy about this shows how lazy I am. I have a ps4. I should've played this. But no, turning the ps4 on and switching inputs is too much effort for me apparently.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Makes sense. This isn't going to push hardware off of shelves now. May as well introduce people to the IP, and when Horizon 2 is revealed as a launch game for PS5, some PC gamers will likely want to invest in the PS5 because of Horizon 2. Not a bold move, but an unprecedented and tactical one.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Sony: Release HZD on PC
PC gamers: get to experience the greatness of HZD
Sony: announce HZD 2 for PS5
PC gamers: buy PS5 to play HZD2
Sony: Profit!

I mean come on guys this is obvious tactics, same as giving us Ps plus game with a sequel releasing soon
But horizon 2 has to be 60fps or more on ps5 for pc gamers to make a jump.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
To get you to use the XBOX app, windows store, become a Gamepass subscriber and selling you Windows as a gaming platform? No, it doesn't make sense.

The games are on Steam - using Windows Store and Xbox App is not the main goal, it's another option. They want you in their ecosystem wherever you are and whatever you prefer, including Steam which has XB integrated into it's games.
The same is going to be true with xCloud, and they'll have more reasons for you to also use their services, as an additional extension of the games you player wherever.

Valve also has cloud gaming plans of it's own AND integrating third party services. It is probable that Xbox services will join the likes of EA and nVidia, to reach that audience amongst lots of others they are after, where games are agnostic to devices so long as they can extend their ecosystem and attract to services that those customers find useful

Sony look to be doing the same. It make sense, its where the money is. Cloud gaming brings the barrier to entry lower, and extending the value of games you own by letting you play anywhere on whatever device you want, will be a big driver going forward.