• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was browsing era and got some "you won an iPhone 7" bullshit i can't get away from. Normally I just uninstalled/installed Chrome and all was fine but I can't do that anymore. Only deactivate/activate, which doesn't get rid of the popup. Any ideas?
This is the most intrusive ad I had in years.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I still need a solution to get rid of it. I can't do anything as soon I open chrome, and I can't do anything in the app settings either.

I don't get what you mean you can't do anything in the app settings? You should be able to clear all data/cache etc. I don't get how you found such an intrusive one though it's usually just a matter of closing the tab

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can you give us a screen shot of what exactly is happening?

The second you open chrome a pop-up appears that prevents you from browsing?

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
should be able to clear data/chache in the android app settings
Nope. Still there.
I don't get what you mean you can't do anything in the app settings? You should be able to clear all data/cache etc. I don't get how you found such an intrusive one though it's usually just a matter of closing the tab
I don't either. Normally even just getting a second window open and swiping the intrusive one helps, but I can't do that either.
Clearing cache does nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I get them once in a while. I use Chrome, so here's what I do.

1. Close the browser.
2. Hold on the browser icon until the menu appears.
3. Select "New Tab".
4. Close the offensive tab.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I use no root adblockers.

Apps like DNS66, BLOKADA, Block This, etc.
They aren't available on the app store so you have to sideload them.

Also use a browser with built in adblocking like Brave browser.

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get them once in a while. I use Chrome, so here's what I do.

1. Close the browser.
2. Hold on the browser icon until the menu appears.
3. Select "New Tab".
4. Close the offensive tab.
When I hold the browser icon all I get is the option to either deactivate the one i have right now or "info". Which just leads me to the menu where the clear cache stuff and so on are.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
S
When I hold the browser icon all I get is the option to either deactivate the one i have right now or "info". Which just leads me to the menu where the clear cache stuff and so on are.
Sorry, dunno if I can help beyond that. I have a Pixel with up-to-date OS and Chrome, but I don't know exactly what's required for that menu to appear.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Still there.

I don't either. Normally even just getting a second window open and swiping the intrusive one helps, but I can't do that either.
Clearing cache does nothing.

Huh that IS strange. You tried any of the reset options from within the boot menu? Might need to look up how to access it on your particular phone but it's usually holding down the power button as it boots

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't read Resetera on my phone but my browser doesn't allow ads anyway, it's called Atlas.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Regarding my solution: apparently, you need Android 7.1 or higher, as well as a Launcher that supports it. Pixel apparently uses the Pixel Launcher, which you can download and install in any phone via the Play Store, if you don't mind switching the launcher.

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
Download the Samsung browser from the play store. It has a ton of adblockers you can integrate in it

OP
OP
Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
S

Sorry, dunno if I can help beyond that. I have a Pixel with up-to-date OS and Chrome, but I don't know exactly what's required for that menu to appear.
Huh that IS strange. You tried any of the reset options from within the boot menu? Might need to look up how to access it on your particular phone but it's usually holding down the power button as it boots
I managed to fend the bullshit off for now!
Upon the 30th time i suddenly could press back on the "press ok to receive prize" screen to get back to the site that launched it, managed to create a second window from there and swipe the bullshit one.
It's been the second time now. Always some site that acts like it's related to amazon pops up, maybe that's why era didn't detect it.

Thanks everyone for your help anyway. I'll contact a mod to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.