• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can read up on it here:https://www.buzzfeed.com/kevintang/...hinese-netizen?utm_term=.yt7gD06No#.lsZZB1Rj2

Interpret it for yourself but I think this is it for me. Everyone I love is bad.

enhanced-buzz-30942-1375990316-28.jpg

It might be better to find context on some of the statements the most disturbing ones are straight forward.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
Where do you think half the shit you buy gets made dude?

And what do you think China does with their take?

Did you post this from your iPhone? Lol come on.

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know what you're saying?

What I'm saying is China is only where its at because a massive portion of our supply chains go through China.

Why do they go through China? Because China can leverage their child labor work force and cheap manufacturing costs = more profit.

Which means China gets rich off of the exploitation of their people. More wealth, more influence.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure to hit it big in China you have to be pro CPC, there is no other way.
I cannot think of Chinese celebirty who openly shits at their government.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's always been this way and it sucks. I just try and ignore it. He grew up in the culture and just didn't really change. My father is similar, and I look past it, so maybe I'm a bit more forgiving of JC than other people may be.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think his son was in some pretty hot water with the law a few years ago. He could just be leveraging his fame to bail out his kid with the authorities, but JC could also just be a massive authoritarian douche. Disappointing either way.

OP
OP
Compsiox

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's always been this way and it sucks. I just try and ignore it. He grew up in the culture and just didn't really change. My father is similar, and I look past it, so maybe I'm a bit more forgiving of JC than other people may be.
You know I guess this is something to consider.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is China is only where its at because a massive portion of our supply chains go through China.

Why do they go through China? Because China can leverage their child labor work force and cheap manufacturing costs = more profit.

Which means China gets rich off of the exploitation of their people. More wealth, more influence.
asjfvny99krc.jpg

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, China has come a long way under a communist regime in the last few decades. Although their progress may have been much quicker if the civil war didn't happen and the CPC didn't take over, I don't think you can objectively say a 1.4 billion person democracy would work out all that well. China certainly has a terrible human rights record and has extreme wealth disparity (you could reasonably say that about the US as well) so he's not right, but I don't think you can exactly say he's wrong.

Ever

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's how it is nowadays, gotta shill to get paid fam

Don't hate the player, hate the game

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people are shills for America's government and army in Hollywood as well despite the thousands of war crimes and civilian murders they have perpetuated throughout history, so if you have issues with actors shilling for horrible governments you'll have a lot of actors to avoid.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He should have used America as an example and then people would agree him

To my knowledge Taiwan doesn't have a Donald Trump or people in positions of power that think the air is too clean

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Well, China has come a long way under a communist regime. I don't think you can objectively say a 1.4 billion person democracy would work out all that well. China certainly has a terrible human rights record and has extreme wealth disparity (you could reasonably say that about the US as well) so he's not right, but I don't think you can exactly say he's wrong.

There's too much repression for democracy in China. It's not that it's a good or bad idea guy. It's just a democratic insurgency did happen. And they got machine gunned by their own government.

China isn't a place where they like things like expression or freedom of thought, or journalists. Freedom of religion. The Chinese people are a few steps above slaves.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I think his son was in some pretty hot water with the law a few years ago. He could just be leveraging his fame to bail out his kid with the authorities, but JC could also just be a massive authoritarian douche. Disappointing either way.
Jackie has always been pro-Chinese government and against the idea of Hong Kong having total independence.

It's extra fucked since he owes his career to the Hong Kong film industry.

But I understand that the government in China has an iron grip over it's people, so many see no other way but to go along with it.

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we blame him? If we were born in China would we hold the same views that we have now?

The man's achievements hold up regardless of his political views. I still believe that he is a positive force overall and an inspiration to many people.

Edit: Yes we can blame him. I didn't read the article before posting.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why...at-Banned-From-Making-Movies-China-67915.html

Chow Yun Fat is a hero.

"Asked by reporters how Yun-Fat feels about being blacklisted, he seems to have responded with a shrug, saying:
'I'll just make less then.'"

I fucking love Chow Yun Fat. That man is a goddamn badass on and off screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Compsiox

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we blame him? If we were born in China would we hold the same views that we have now?

The man's achievements hold up regardless of his political views. I still believe that he is a positive force overall and an inspiration to many people.
Don't you see the comments from people born in China in the article?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
You should probably avoid Justice League/all future DC films if you don't like celebrities shilling for their countries.

Oct 27, 2017
Um
why do you want jackie chan to reject his homeland?
i'm a little confused.

you can like a man for his merits you know, without involving political views into the equation

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I seem to remember him making some problematic statements around the 2008 Chinese Olympics. He really had a seething hatred for the wave of protests against PRC lack of freedom and human rights abuses.

I dunno... I don't judge him too harshly because I see him as brainwashed by the view of the Chinese state, and he isn't exactly the only one. Millions and millions of people consent (and even come to love) their authoritarian PRC lord up above. He's a pretty typical Chinese citizen.... I'd just take any of his views on politics as useless.

It's sad how he says the the Chinese "need to be controlled". But if a different, non-communist faction had won the Chinese civil war, no one would have that view.

OP
OP
Compsiox

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um
i'm a little confused.

you can like a man for his merits you know, without involving political views into the equation

I usually think this way but this has been someone I've loved since I was a child. It's very disappointing. As of right now I just can't ignore it.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I, for one, am shocked and absolutely outraged that a Chinese citizen would be pro-China. Like, what kind of hell hole are we living in? The nerve of some celebrities.... Don't they even think about the effect their words have on their fans? Now I can't even consume their products anymore.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't understand why this would impact anyone's opinion of him as a martial artist, actor, film director, producer, stuntman, or singer? He's still competent in all those fields.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Um
i'm a little confused.

People of Hong Kong like their independence from mainland China. Jackie is from Hong Kong himself, but against their independence. Hong Kong has been trying hard to keep themselves separate from China, but the government has been closing in.

He is betraying his homeland with his stance.
I, for one, am shocked and absolutely outraged that a Chinese citizen would be pro-China. Like, what kind of hell hole are we living in? The nerve of some celebrities.... Don't they even think about the effect their words have on their fans? Now I can't even consume their products anymore.
HONG KONG AND CHINA ARE SEPARATE

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why this would impact anyone's opinion of him as a martial artist, actor, film director, producer, stuntman, or singer? He's still competent in all those fields.
By supporting him as an artist, actor, etc. you're giving him more money to voice his disturbing political views.

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't you see the comments from people born in China in the article?
He was born in Hong Kong and made his success in Hong Kong.

Forgive my ignorance on Chinese geography. I thought Hong Kong/Singapore were in China.

I didn't read the article because my phone acts up when viewing Buzzfeed articles (probably the ads, it vibrates constantly). I just finished reading the article on my laptop.

Yeah there are obviously a fair few people in China who share our beliefs that the government isn't great over there/has problems.

I was going to make the argument that he probably makes a fair bit of money from the Chinese audience but then I read that being a shill tanks your cred and people hate you.

What's the most likely path for China going forward? Political reform, police state or rebellion?

Bengraven