• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sora or Riku?

• Sora

Votes: 126 55.3%
  • Riku

Votes: 102 44.7%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Who do you like more as a Kingdom Hearts protagonist?

Sora

d13b758cd675f10558f3f81b24be6113.jpg

The main playable lead for most games in the franchise. Upbeat, carefree, loving, and fights for his friends. Loves to goof around, laugh, and smile, and while he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, he truly does have a heart of gold. Maybe this is why he talks about hearts and light and friendship a lot. Sora, being a keyblade wielder in a time where there are hardly any keyblade wielders, is often the target of many evil machinations. However, with his steadfast beliefs and good moral compass, he always sees his mission through to the end. Got very mad when Goofy died.

Riku

9dfcf5af80ecf0afa9a150e10e39674b.jpg

The secondary lead of most games in the franchise. Only fully playable in a handful of games, Riku nevertheless serves an equally important role in the story to Sora. As the original intended recipient of the keyblade, Riku was also the target of many dark forces who sought to manipulate him, and, unlike Sora, fell victim to the darkness. With the help of his friends, Riku eventually overcame his inner demons, returned to the light, and become a stalwart ally of those who fight against the darkness in people's hearts. A bit wiser and more intelligent than his friend Sora, Riku is also a more serious individual, often focusing on getting things done over goofing around. However, he has the same love for his friends in his heart, and enjoys laughing and joking as much as anyone else.

Who do you like more, as a character? Why?

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love both, but Riku will always be the best. I love everything about Riku, one of the best video game characters of all time

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Riku was better when David Gallagher was actually trying. Dude sleepwalked through all of KH3 except for like two or three lines.

Maybe if they make him the actual protagonist they'll pay him enough to put in some effort again.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I like them both but Riku has a cool story arc and actual character growth. Sora has character growth too but they made him into a dumb ass and it kinda gets in the way.
Riku was better when David Gallagher was actually trying. Dude sleepwalked through all of KH3 except for like two or three lines.

Maybe if they make him the actual protagonist they'll pay him enough to put in some effort again.
For fuckin real. I like them both but Riku in 3 was... something.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Riku has always been my favorite. He has the most development of any character in KH.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Roxas (or Terra)

Sora is kind of the face of everything so at this point, I don't think there's a chance to replace him (I think Nomura said he'd always star in the mainline KH games) but I do prefer Riku at this point, Sora's just a tad too oblivious.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Riku's kinda bland IMO but at least he was actually somewhat fun to play as in Re:Chain of Memories.

I like the part of Sora's character where he's actually kinda flawed, but that doesn't hold him back. They should never make him a Keyblade Master, really.

That said, just give 'em both the boot and put Roxas and Aqua in charge

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Riku is the best. He's got a great character arc. Now throw in Roxas and we can have a conversation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Roxas (or Terra)

Sora is kind of the face of everything so at this point, I don't think there's a chance to replace him (I think Nomura said he'd always star in the mainline KH games) but I do prefer Riku at this point, Sora's just a tad too oblivious.

Sora's basically a golden retriever.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sora was endearing in KH1 but got dumber as the series went on.

Riku didn't have the best of starts but he got so much better later on. My only gripe with him is that I prefer Sora's gameplay.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The one that's not Sora. Seriously, Sora is obnoxious af, at least Riku is somewhat inoffensive despite all that shitty talk about the balance of darkness and light.
Ven, Terra and Aqua are way more charismatic as protagonist, especially Aqua.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Riku is a jobber, Sora at least has actual accomplishments.

Everyone is a jobber compared to Sora. KH3 was literally the personification of this. He literally runs to every other character during the Keyblade Graveyard part in order to help because the others can't get it done. It's one of the biggest issues with the game.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Riku. He will always be my favorite. I do wish they would inject that sassy personality he used to have back into his character now that he's had his full redemption arc, though. He doesn't need to the king of sass, but a snarky remark here and there while still being an absolute sweetheart would go a long way to keep him interesting.

(Same goes for Kairi tbh. She needs her spunky and spirited character back from KH1)

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is basically Naruto vs Sasuke for the gaming side.

But it's still Riku

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I like them both for different reasons. But Riku was my first favorite white haired boy.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Sora has more variety when it comes to personality.

Riku is more one-dimensional, like I can't imagine him interacting with Donald and Goofy as well as Sora does.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah, not sure what happened on the voice direction end for Riku in KH3, especially Re:mind, as Gallagher has shown time and time again he has a handle on the character. I mean just listen to this. It really does sound like he's talking at 0.5 speed or something. It's crazy:

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Riku was alright in chain of memories but dude was a charisma vaccum in KH3
I dont think much of Sora in general. He's protagnist 101.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Never got the obsession with Roxas. Dude is such a nothing character. Axel/Lea is easily the best among that trio.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
After KH3, they both feel equally uninteresting.

Riku is a jobber, Sora at least has actual accomplishments.

This isn't one of your favorite animes, so you can't see things like that. Riku is barely playable outside the CoM and 3D, there isn't much he can actually fight.

I will say though that Riku vs. Roxas fight scene was painfully awkward and had to go a certain way just to make Riku's appearance change

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
As the protagonist, Sora is everything the protag of Kingdom Hearts should be. Riku is the better character though.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I like Riku's design more, but like his personality/character in general, it's better in 1, CoM, and DDD than it is in 2 and 3.

oldboss

Shinra Employee
Nov 9, 2017
Still can't get over the fact that KH3 was a sequel to KH2. Such an overwhelming drop in quality in almost all aspects.

Riku FTW, I'm off watching Deep Dive

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Roxas (or Terra)

I think Roxas is probably the coolest of the Sora trios.

And Roxas beats Riku so....
I've barely played KH stuff since 2, but I liked Roxas better than Sora.

All of you get it. Roxas is best.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Roxas gets a better story arc than both of them, but Sora wins out against Riku.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Aqua the best out of all of them. Fuck what they did to her in 3 though, some bullshit.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid I always wanted to play as Riku. I remember being so excited the first time they made him a protagonist, then extremely salty when I realized it was a card game lol.

As an adult... it's still Riku. Sora's great and I love sunshine and rainbows but sometimes you just need a bit of edge.