• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
So he recorded video on a third device then tried to render out the raw video to a file using free software on a phone, but that was slow and that means it's bad for "pro video"?

He didn't shoot any video on the phones?...

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
"iPhones aren't for video!"

*proceeds to talk only about exporting video and not actually shooting video*

Hmmm....I'm sure there was no goal at all with this article outside of completely objective comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
Benchmark warring is just as exhausting as console wars.

He's also being disingenuous because sometimes the same app can be better optimized for a particular platform, meaning the android app may work better than the iOS counterpart. It's not a good apples to apples comparison st all (no pun) and of a guy claiming to have done this for so long he should know better

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the comparison speaks more the the strength of the 7pro rather than any weakness of the iPhone. OnePlus phones are all about brute Force and I say this as a OnePlus user with the OP 7 pro.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
but Apple makes their own chips. it's not like they're just buying whatever Qualcomm is selling and slapping it in.

The VPU and HEVC decoder chips are built into the Ax chip, but essentially dude's reason stands. Video processor needs to be fast enough to process video at the resolution/fps written on the spec. Making it faster/take up more real estate/adding cores isn't worth it compared to more gpu/cpu cores since those have a lot more use cases compared to the vpu. So like the dude said, when you see a bump to 8k, or some sort of faster framerate you'll likely see a bump.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
iPhone users simply don't care about any comparison. The iPhone™ brand is all that matters to them, end of story. An Android phone could be half the price with twice the specs and they'd still refuse to acknowledge it or ever consider switching.
This is true.

If you put an Apple sticker on rotting garbage I will spend hundreds of dollars for it.

Thats just how iPhone users roll.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think all those people lining up around the block for every single iPhone launch are techies that care about what's actually in the phone?
Are people really "lining up around the block" for these phones any more? The whole iPhone launch line thing really feels like a relic from 2012 at this point. Anybody that wants one can pre-order online......most of the retail stores have all their launch inventory committed to pre-orders anyway. Showing up a few hours before the store opens isn't going to score you a phone anyhow.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I recall people on this forum arguing with about iPhone benchmarks vs desktop PCs and telling me that I'm salty... all because of geekbench scores.

Like come the fuck on. Use your damn head. It's great that Apple pushes boundaries when it comes to CPU tech, but let's not get ahead ourselves in these comparisons. It's embarrassing.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a bummer, honestly. We're being told every year that Apple's phone silicon is hot shit, beating everything else. And yet, a real-world test like this shows otherwise.

Does anyone have a hunch for why the SE beat the XS in rendering? Like, that boggles my mind.

Now I'm super-interested in more head-to-head tests. If an app is available on both iOS and Android, I'm down to see some performance comparisons.
CPU throttling if I had to take a quick guess.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
This guy even links to a thread by someone who worked on the cross platform video app he's using who says:

Then awkwardly pivots to talking about iPhones and file management. Benchmarks are definitely not always indicative of real world performance but this guy seems like he has a bone to pick with Apple

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got softly dragged here for daring to suggest that Apple was arguably a tiny bit late with swipe typing. I didn't say they were dumb or ugly or lame, just that it felt a bit late in the game - especially with "innovation" as the tag line (which was a small joke that somehow prompted more than one explanation of the separate marketing items that phrase really referred to).

Apparently both of these conditions are simultaneously true somehow:

Swipe typing apps have been available for years so why would you need an OS level one?

And:

The reason it's cool is that it will be an apple designed OS level swipe typing holistic solution and much better than any app could ever be.

99% of folks didn't say a peep but it was a reminder that there are dedicated enthusiasts out there.

Oct 25, 2017
This guy even links to a thread by someone who worked on the cross platform video app he's using who says:

Then awkwardly pivots to talking about iPhones and file management. Benchmarks are definitely not always indicative of real world performance but this guy seems like he has a bone to pick with Apple

Not to mention cross platform apps are never 1:1 performant. If an app dev sees that one platform is higher use over the other they may prioritize that platform.

OP
OP
faceless

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The VPU and HEVC decoder chips are built into the Ax chip, but essentially dude's reason stands. Video processor needs to be fast enough to process video at the resolution/fps written on the spec. Making it faster/take up more real estate/adding cores isn't worth it compared to more gpu/cpu cores since those have a lot more use cases compared to the vpu. So like the dude said, when you see a bump to 8k, or some sort of faster framerate you'll likely see a bump.
and given the context of the PR surrounding the device, what does this mean?

that's actually alarming.
what's alarming about me having different guesses than your answer when there are over half a dozen solid OEMs to guess from?

what's really alarming is that you're still on this weird failed 'gotcha' tangent about the former job of the article's author. have fun!

Benchmark warring is just as exhausting as console wars.

He's also being disingenuous because sometimes the same app can be better optimized for a particular platform, meaning the android app may work better than the iOS counterpart. It's not a good apples to apples comparison st all (no pun) and of a guy claiming to have done this for so long he should know better
so we can't compare performance ever because something will always be different?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have a OP5 which shouldn't be running slow af. It ran great when I got it, and a year later even with half the storage it still runs poorly.

My friends got a Razer Phone which has been running into problems, and before that he had a LGV30 which also ran into problems.

Unless he keeps picking shit phones which I wouldn't say the Razer phone was it shouldn't be consistent like that. He's got a OP7T now so I pray it doesn't fall into the same fate but honestly I don't know.

I've never understood where this comes from or what these people are doing to their phones. I've had 4 android phones going back to 2011 and none of them ever ran poorly over time. I'm still using my 5 year old galaxy S5 as a media player and still runs just fine.

Maybe they just load their phones up with shitty apps that slow it down.

OP
OP
faceless

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"iPhones aren't for video!"

*proceeds to talk only about exporting video and not actually shooting video*

Hmmm....I'm sure there was no goal at all with this article outside of completely objective comparison.
2 for 1 here

because video production includes several things including but not limited to recording, importing video from other sources, editing and rendering the final output.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't use any phone for pro video though, right? Seems like you should use a real camera for that.

OP
OP
faceless

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood where this comes from or what these people are doing to their phones. I've had 4 android phones going back to 2011 and none of them ever ran poorly over time. I'm still using my 5 year old galaxy S5 as a media player and still runs just fine.

Maybe they just load their phones up with shitty apps that slow it down.
it's unfair to discount someone's experience.

all i can say is that in my experience, none of the Android mobile handsets i have owned have slowed down over time.

I wouldn't use any phone for pro video though, right? Seems like you should use a real camera for that.
why wouldn't you use your phone as advertised?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I got softly dragged here for daring to suggest that Apple was arguably a tiny bit late with swipe typing. I didn't say they were dumb or ugly or lame, just that it felt a bit late in the game - especially with "innovation" as the tag line (which was a small joke that somehow prompted more than one explanation of the separate marketing items that phrase really referred to).

Swipe typing apps have been available for years so why would you need an OS level one?

And:

The reason it's cool is that it will be an apple designed OS level swipe typing holistic solution and much better than any app could ever be.

99% of folks didn't say a peep but it was a reminder that there are dedicated enthusiasts out there.

Erm, are you talking about the "lol stockholm syndrome" post of yours in the iOS13 thread, where you made fun of iOS13 getting features late and brought up the tagline of a completely unrelated iPhone conference that prompted - considering the juvenile tone of your initial post - very level-headed responses?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
it's unfair to discount someone's experience.

all i can say is that in my experience, none of the Android mobile handsets i have owned have slowed down over time.

Yeah, only thing I can think of is maybe its just bad apps making it run like shit. I generally don't install many apps on my phone, only what I use often, so maybe that's the issue. Though I've also only had 4 android phones, 3 samsungs and one pixel, so I don't have any experience with other smartphones.

Oct 26, 2017
2 for 1 here

because video production includes several things including but not limited to recording, importing video from other sources, editing and rendering the final output.

So his point is iPhones are slower at specific parts of specific tasks? And others are telling him they're faster at other specific parts of specific tasks? And you're fighting the good fight to spread the word?

Okay. Thanks for that.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
What a weird article. The writer isn't technically wrong (except for their one correction), but they're writing about a user and workflow that doesn't really exist. Yes Apple markets "Pro" filmmaking, but the people doing everything on their iPhone are not pros or even just film enthusiasts.Phone filmmaking is definitely a thing, but using supplementary hardware/software has always and will always be a thing. Like the people using Filmic Pro are exporting their footage. The XS tests are definitely eyebrow raising at least.

Also as expected it's immediately become a platform war.

Oct 25, 2017
and given the context of the PR surrounding the device, what does this mean?

what's alarming about me having different guesses than your answer when there are over half a dozen solid OEMs to guess from?

what's really alarming is that you're still on this weird failed 'gotcha' tangent about the former job of the article's author. have fun!

so we can't compare performance ever because something will always be different?

No, compare things but be smarter about it. He could have just used native apps versus picking 3rd party app, or just used they hardware and recording on the camera versus importing from a desktop which is how most users will use these phones.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
iPhone users simply don't care about any comparison. The iPhone™ brand is all that matters to them, end of story. An Android phone could be half the price with twice the specs and they'd still refuse to acknowledge it or ever consider switching.
No Android phone is half the price with twice the specs unfortunately. Not even the similarly priced flagships. Well maybe except for RAM.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The post I am quoting was ridiculous making a crazy assumption about all iPhone users. I was just speaking his crazy language.

It's just a phone. Like 3 billion people have smart phones and kids on the internet fight over brands like its life or death.

I use a iPhone mainly for iMessage and to make calls on my Mac. I do that a ton for work and that little thing means a lot to me. But I have played without android phones to know the switch would be otherwise completely painless for me and vice versa.

Oct 27, 2017
No, compare things but be smarter about it. He could have just used native apps versus picking 3rd party app, or just used they hardware and recording on the camera versus importing from a desktop which is how most users will use these phones.
But he even did a sample where the iPhone was processing a video that was recorded on it, compared to the Android doing the same task with the same video that was captured on the iPhone.

That's as much of an advantage as you can give to the Apple device. I would guess throttling is just more aggressive on iPhone.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

An Android phone could have the best hardware on earth but it'd still be running Android.

OP
OP
faceless

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So his point is iPhones are slower at specific parts of specific tasks? And others are telling him they're faster at other specific parts of specific tasks? And you're fighting the good fight to spread the word?

Okay. Thanks for that.
cool fanfic

All this test is showing us that there's an app on Android that exports faster than iMovie. That's really it.
congrats on getting thru 10% of the article!

Oct 25, 2017
But he even did a sample where the iPhone was processing a video that was recorded on it, compared to the Android doing the same task with the same video that was captured on the iPhone.

That's as much of an advantage as you can give to the Apple device. I would guess throttling is just more aggressive on iPhone.

Thanks. I may has misread his methodology on this. It came across like he was using an iMovie file from a computer and then transferred to each phone and then rendered with the same software.

OP
OP
faceless

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird article. The writer isn't technically wrong (except for their one correction), but they're writing about a user and workflow that doesn't really exist. Yes Apple markets "Pro" filmmaking, but the people doing everything on their iPhone are not pros or even just film enthusiasts.Phone filmmaking is definitely a thing, but using supplementary hardware/software has always and will always be a thing. Like the people using Filmic Pro are exporting their footage. The XS tests are definitely eyebrow raising at least.

Also as expected it's immediately become a platform war.
yes it's pro in ads but ignore the ads.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know anything about photography, but I think it speaks volumes that the pixel can do more with a single camera than even a top end iPhone.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
No Android phone is half the price with twice the specs unfortunately. Not even the similarly priced flagships. Well maybe except for RAM.
RAM and storage are literally the only two things any phone could double up on with half the price, unless Apple decides to stick with the A13 for the next ten years or drops down to an older processor. It'd be impossible otherwise without using desktop/laptop processors in their phones somehow.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
yes it's pro in ads but ignore the ads.
You're mad that they use the word 'pro' even though the ads are clearly targeted at amateurs

Nobody who knows film making is looking at an iPhone and saying this is an ideal all in one device, can't wait to render my shit on there, hooooo boy

It's a good device and certainly has a place in filmmaking - hell it's why I'm upgrading to one - but producing from start to finish on them is for people who literally have nothing else.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

And:

Did the same person make both statements? Otherwise, I'd guess that they're just opinions like anything else said here. Some people just appreciate things at the OS level, others are happy with third party options. So, in that sense, they can both be true.

OP
OP
faceless

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're mad that they use the word 'pro' even though the ads are clearly targeted at amateurs

Nobody who knows film making is looking at an iPhone and saying this is an ideal all in one device, can't wait to render my shit on there, hooooo boy

It's a good device and certainly has a place in filmmaking - hell it's why I'm upgrading to one - but producing from start to finish on them is for people who literally have nothing else.
so yes it's pro in ads but ignore the ads. got it chief!

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
RAM and storage are literally the only two things any phone could double up on with half the price, unless Apple decides to stick with the A13 for the next ten years or drops down to an older processor. It'd be impossible otherwise without using desktop/laptop processors in their phones somehow.
The problem is that flagships don't even touch them. If what you're looking for is performance then there's no other phone than the current AND last years iPhone. Qualcomm has the means to compete but hey just dont