• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Seems that if you have the game you can't launch it any longer.

Today was an update that seems to have replaced the full client. Maybe this also meant some internal ID changed and the previously associated entitlement was removed.

hKJ4mvL.png

According to the subreddit you can Hard Reset your Xbox One to fix this, which others have reported to not help.
[strike]Nothing yet known for Windows 10.[/strike] See below.

Please share if you found a client side fix for this.

---
from /r/SeaOfThieves
Talked to Xbox support as this is happening to me as well. They are aware of it and working on finding a fix.

Win10:
I had similar issues after update but a reboot fixed that for me on win10.

---

MOD NOTE:
As reported by someone, only a subset of players are having the problem, and some of those are fixed with a system reset.

--
OP NOTE:
Microsoft has a neat system to notify you via phone when they think the problem is solved.
75lGmzx.png

--

Guide for the future:

If you've already downloaded the update and are failing at the install of the update, don't go and uninstall the game. Once the Game Pass issue is resolved, it should also fix the install error you're seeing, and you shouldn't need to download the update again.

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of gamepass, what are the odds that this game is removed in the coming months?
Almost zero. It's arguably Microsoft's flagship Game pass title. Their internal studio developed it and they published it. Just as Netflix doesn't remove its own produced content, Microsoft is extremely unlikely to remove theirs.

OP
OP
benny

benny

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you still have posts coming in the last 2 minutes of people unable to launch the game. But if this is fixed automatically then good, but it seems to not be globally solved.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The title declares that all Game Pass copies of Sea of Thieves are non-functional. The source specifies it's a subset of players, and we're in the first hours after a patch. My copy is working normally after the update. Hot takes are making this game tiresome to follow news from,all around.

Title/OP edited

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The title declares that all Game Pass copies of Sea of Thieves are non-functional. The source specifies it a subset of players, and we're in the first hours after a patch. My copy is working normally after the update. Three replies in, we already have fan-fiction about the game being removed from the service posed as an "innocent" question. Hot takes are making this game tiresome to follow news around.

This game has really brought ERA to new levels.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The title declares that all Game Pass copies of Sea of Thieves are non-functional. The source specifies it's a subset of players, and we're in the first hours after a patch. My copy is working normally after the update. Three replies in, we already have fan-fiction about the game being removed from the service posed as an "innocent" question. Hot takes are making this game tiresome to follow news around.
Holy fuck, you talking about me? Lol. Dude, if there's one thing that Microsoft is getting insane praise for, it's Gamepass. Don't think anyone (especially me) is out there making fan fiction about the demise of Microsoft and the death of gaming industry.

Anyways, thanks to those that answered. It'll be interesting how broad the library will increase for Gamepass. Sucks that its not working for you, OP. Reboot, restart, repeat.

OP
OP
benny

benny

Oct 26, 2017
The title declares that all Game Pass copies of Sea of Thieves are non-functional.
To be fair I used the Sea of Thieves subreddit as the source where you still have new posts in the last minute about experiencing this issue.
So I have read 30 comments about not being able to launch the game on there vs. 1 that could on there.

I did not anticipate that the subreddit would be so differently proportioned to ERA who has an issue vs. who has not.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously question the intelligence of anyone trying to make this more than just an issue/hiccup with the patch and the subscription.

I'm sure if it hasn't already been corrected it will be corrected shortly.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck, you talking about me? Lol. Dude, if there's one thing that Microsoft is getting insane praise for, it's Gamepass. Don't think anyone (especially me) is out there making fan fiction about the demise of Microsoft and the death of gaming industry.

Anyways, thanks to those that answered. It'll be interesting how broad the library will increase for Gamepass. Sucks that its not working for you, OP. Reboot, restart, repeat.

Yes, I was talking about your post, and yes, it's both a stupid question and off-topic.

OP
OP
benny

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Updated the OP with some information from the subreddit and the official Xbox Status Page.

They have a neat service to let you know when an outage is over. I also have to say that I think having a service outage notification up this quick, even if it doesn't affect ERA members is excellent work by the support team.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Its okay, I don't want him to be baited into being emotional. He's a good person and I took no offense (there is none).

benny , did it work for you? Let us know if an hour or two what the dealio is.
Thank you, zedox, for calling me out. I apologize, Shao Kahn . The question felt loaded to me (in the sense that there aren't any signals to have prompted it), but even so, I shouldn't have reacted that way.

Nov 1, 2017
The title declares that all Game Pass copies of Sea of Thieves are non-functional. The source specifies it's a subset of players, and we're in the first hours after a patch. My copy is working normally after the update. Three replies in, we already have fan-fiction about the game being removed from the service posed as an "innocent" question. Hot takes are making this game tiresome to follow news around.
wow this no man's pirate game really is driving people up the wall, lol

OP
OP
benny

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Holding off on the update in case I have to download the entire thing again.

Hope they fix it soon.
I'm not an expert on how entitlements work on XBL or Win10 but I'm sure they can just reassign the Gamepass entitlement from the old internal ID to the new internal ID. (Assuming this is what happened here.)

Listonosh

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the error, went to the store and the game started auto updating. I'm pretty sure that was the reason right? Guess ill find out after it updates.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just checked and mine is working.
Thank god i'm never ever the person being affected with all those issues on the internet.
For real. Never ever. I don't know what i'm doing right.

Maybe that's were all my luck went any why i did not won the lottery yet.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
This is happening to me. Actually just came to Era to see if there was a solution and saw this thread.

+ My game is fully updated with today's patch
+ I last playe day before yesterday
+ A hard reset didn't help
+ When trying to open the game, I'm asked if I own it
+ When viewing Sea of Thieves in the store, it just says "Play" (as opposed to Buy or Download)
+ Same result when hitting Play from the store page

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't had a chance to check my PC copy, since the download is running in the background.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Much of the dialogue about the game has been ridiculous from both sides so I'm not trying to single anyone out unfairly, it's just emblematic of the bigger problem of this early access pirate game being a huge lightning rod for some reason, lol.
Yes, but we don't need continuation of it, hence my comment. Especially when those two kissed and made up. :)

OP
OP
benny

benny

Oct 26, 2017
This is happening to me. Actually just came to Era to see if there was a solution and saw this thread.
That was the intention of the thread. It started with suggestion from players on the subreddit but they didn't turn out to work.

The best tip so far is a reboot, but this could very much be tied to what edge server you're connected so even if it's a client action it's still tied to your geographical region and/or lottery.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting that same error.

Sea of Thieves is currently not available in your account. Here's the error code, in case you need it: 0x803F8001

Status
Not open for further replies.