• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, 3 was a rush job. I'd have loved to get the Arcade Edition ported over, and I'd have loved to have an Xbox version that didn't deal with as much framerate issues, much like 2.

That said, I have a point of contention here.

I mean, that's pretty much "hanging on for the first year."

https://www.esportsearnings.com/games/240-soul-calibur-v

And if this is anything to go by, 5 didn't really set the world on fire, and previous entries in the series (save for maybe 4) weren't around for the great fighting game explosion that brought us the FGC / eSports scene as we currently recognize it today, so gauging that popularity or adjusting for hype inflation is kind of difficult, if not impossible. I'd be interested to see what a back-to-basics SC would do in such an environment, though. But what do I know?

I feel the opposite. I think it overcomplicated SC to the point where it neutered its greatest strengths, thus diminishing the very thing that made SC special when compared to every other fighter on the market. It came off as being imitative rather than innovative.

But if you ever want to play SC2, I'm down. :D

There are tourneys other than Evo, heh, and it did have pretty healthy side tourneys at Evo 2013 and 2014. The more impressive thing is that people still travelled to majors to play it for years, maybe even a little still. No one's gonna be able to retire off that SC5 money, but it did alright. To your main point, it did better than 3 and 4, and that was your argument about how meter killed the scene.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Namco should feel free to have a comeback mechanic, just remember what you tried with SCV didn't light the world on fire.
This is silly. It'd be like saying because Tekken 4 didn't light the world on fire, Namco should've thrown out everything from that game including walls and side-walking. Or that since most Tekken fans hated rage in Tekken 6, they should've completely scrapped the concept. Project Soul has made tweaks and we'll have to see how they play out once we have the game in hand. Also, let's stop pretending that Namco has given SC nearly the same level of support as Tekken. Like, ever. That, more than anything, is at the heart of SC's struggles over the years.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is silly. It'd be like saying if because Tekken 4 didn't light the world on fire, Namco should've thrown out everything from that game including walls and side-walking. Or that since most Tekken fans hated rage in Tekken 6, they should've completely scrapped the concept. Project Soul has made tweaks and we'll have to see how they play out once we have the game in hand. Also, let's stop pretending that Namco has given SC nearly the same level of support as Tekken. Like, ever. That, more than anything, is at the heart of SC's struggles over the years.

I don't understand how this turned into Namco support cockfight between Tekken and Soul Calibur? And where did I ever say Namco should throw away everything from SCV? I just said in my post above that it's cool for SC to have a comeback mechanic, just not the way it was currently implemented for x,y,z reasons. I didn't say a comeback mechanic should be scrapped. And if they tweak it to make it more meaningful where every move becomes affected then I'm happy to see some updates and anticipate checking it out. As it is now, it's the SCV system.

And just so you know, Namco did scrap a fuckton of mechanics from Tekken 4 without ever trying to revisit or tweak them: Uneven Terrains, Wall-techs, Wall-Pushes, Ceiling Hits, Pre-round movement, among others.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Man I just want to play the game. All this EVO stuff and competitive support just confuse me at the end anyway.

Heck, I barely played online! It's the single player that I'm looking for.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how this turned into Namco support cockfight between Tekken and Soul Calibur? And where did I ever say Namco should throw away everything from SCV? I just said in my post above that it's cool for SC to have a comeback mechanic, just not the way it was currently implemented for x,y,z reasons. I didn't say a comeback mechanic should be scrapped. And if they tweak it to make it more meaningful where every move becomes affected then I'm happy to see some updates and anticipate checking it out. As it is now, it's the SCV system.

And just so you know, Namco did scrap a fuckton of mechanics from Tekken 4 without ever trying to revisit or tweak them: Uneven Terrains, Wall-techs, Wall-Pushes, Ceiling Hits, Pre-round movement, among others.
Except it's not the SCV system. Brave Edge, Quick Step, Just Guard, and other systems got dropped as well. You don't like it a relatively minor mechanic that's in SC6, we get it. I directly addressed Namco not supporting SoulCalibur like it does with Tekken as being a much bigger part of the reason why it "didn't set the world on fire". I'm done with the goalpost moving arguments. Carry on.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Namco just put out the vanilla version of Tekken and not supporting it after.

That's what SC has gotten for every version after Sc2. And somehow it's sc5 that's the problem? When we have to wait 4 and 5 years for sequels we think we're never going to get?

Please.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I said by the "not light the world on fire" quote wasn't an overall evaluation of SCV, I was specifically talking about their implementation of a round-ending comeback mechanic. Anyways, feel free to elaborate on how SC6's guts system is different from SCV's because I can't tell what's changed.

Nov 15, 2017
Word? I'm from Florida as well. Maybe we ran into each other. What tournaments?

Three in Tallahassee, one in Tampa, one in Jax. Shit was fourteen years ago, and I can't remember the event names. I knew one was at a CompUSA, had like, sixty people show up. Another one was on Florida State University campus, I never got a head count, I just came to play and not die in pools. I won both of those.I know there's a third, but it was small-scale shit and wasn't all that much to brag about.

Made top 16 in some Tampa event, and I want to say I made top 8 during one in Jax. I can't remember the tournament names, though. This was back when you used to have to Mapquest some shit and print it out, and I've lived a shitload of life during the interim between then and now. They, too weren't that big. Just some event held at a mom-and-pop game shop and shit. That's all I can really remember, and that was my brightest moments in tournament history.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Imagine if Namco just put out the vanilla version of Tekken and not supporting it after.

That's what SC has gotten for every version after Sc2. And somehow it's sc5 that's the problem? When we have to wait 4 and 5 years for sequels we think we're never going to get?

Please.
Times like this, I wished this forum had the ability to "like" a post.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because you can see what the FGC in general holds as its most desired games to play and watch others play on a year-by-year basis, if nothing else. It's a pretty reliable metric for what remains most relevant in terms of widespread appeal.

Unless your game is 3D. Historically anyway. Hell, I'm thrilled that Tekken 7 is doing as well as it did at EVO.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot stress enough how good it feels to be back to SC1 times. SE, SC1, and SC2 are just the pinnacle in the series in terms of aesthetic, lore, and characters. That's enough for me to jump aboard, whereas an actual continuation of V would have soured me. It just isn't the same. I have so much fond memories of those three games.

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be like saying because Tekken 4 didn't light the world on fire, Namco should've thrown out everything from that game including walls and side-walking.
That's exactly what Bamco fucking did lol. Harada refuses to even mention T4's existence most of the time. Walls are the only things that stayed after T4, and even those were completely reworked.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, 3 was a rush job. I'd have loved to get the Arcade Edition ported over, and I'd have loved to have an Xbox version that didn't deal with as much framerate issues, much like 2.

That said, I have a point of contention here.

I mean, that's pretty much "hanging on for the first year."
There was a side tournament at Evo in 2013 and 2014.

It's still being hosted at NEC this year in fact. So yeah, it's hung on.

Nov 15, 2017
There was a side tournament at Evo in 2013 and 2014.

It's still being hosted at NEC this year in fact. So yeah, it's hung on.
Out of curiosity, what were the numbers like?

That's exactly what Bamco fucking did lol. Harada refuses to even mention T4's existence most of the time. Walls are the only things that stayed after T4, and even those were completely reworked.

I cannot think of that game and not have this precise moment in this song go through my head.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017
I have such a love / hate relationship with HDO. Like, I think it's great that we got SC2 in HD with online play, but no multi-person lobbies and no spectator mode is a huge fuckup, never mind using the PAL PS2 version as the base. At least, I think that's what was used, iirc correctly.

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You can cancel step with g safely from what the footage had shown. Aris is upset over nothing.
I was seing his take on the demo and the game (so far) has some problems to fix in which I agree:

When a character health bar falls beyond the point of ~20% or lower it greatly mitigates the received damage. This damage reduction is a copy & paste of one of the "comeback mechanics" from Soul Calibur V and is an utterly stupid mechanism. It punishes the player which did it good and pushed the match in his advantage and now does lesser damage towards a foe which fought worse and keeps doing full damage. It also makes the fights slower because part of the damage is shaved. I think that that mechanic must be ditched.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was seing his take on the demo and the game (so far) has some problems to fix in which I agree:

When a character health bar falls beyond the point of ~20% or lower it greatly mitigates the received damage. This damage reduction is a copy & paste of one of the "comeback mechanics" from Soul Calibur V and is an utterly stupid mechanism. It punishes the player which did it good and pushed the match in his advantage and now does lesser damage towards a foe which fought worse and keeps doing full damage. It also makes the fights slower because part of the damage is shaved. I think that that mechanic must be ditched.

As opposed to Rage in Tekken making you do more damage. Same thing, different method.

What's Aris' opinion about Rage?

Doesn't matter to me, but I play tons of 2D fighters where a similar system is implemented, so...yeah, I don't care. Never changed the way I finished out rounds in SC5. Won't change much here. Think it's much better than your ass getting beat giving you access to a super at the end of the round that also forces me to entirely change how I approach the match.

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As opposed to Rage in Tekken making you do more damage. Same thing, different method.

Doesn't matter to me, but I play tons of 2D fighters where a similar system is implemented, so...yeah, I don't care. Never changed the way I finished out rounds in SC5. Won't change much here. Think it's much better than your ass getting beat giving you access to a super at the end of the round that also forces me to entirely change how I approach the match.

Totally different, because in SC V the guy which was beated to, say, the 12% of its life and which could have been defeated with a poke or two now is "de facto" mitigating damage as its real HP is ~30%. In Tekken the guy with low life still can die in a blink. Also SC V rewarded a guy losing two rounds filling it's super (and I'm not fan uf supers at all, neither SC I, II or III needed those things to be fun).

At the end, mix of high risk due counters in 8WR + the comeback mechanics made SC V a very linear/static/2D game. I do expect that both mechanics do fade away in the final version of the game; it should reward people moving around the rings in non linear ways and shouldn't reward in any way the player with did worse along the match.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Also SC V rewarded a guy losing two rounds filling it's super
I never really minded that part because it works both ways. If the guy who lost 2 rounds and was given one meter for a round came back, then the guy who was originally winning is the one that gets an extra meter for the final round.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

When it happens in the same round it's not so bad.

Tekken 7's rage is less aggravating than Tekken 6's rage, at least. You get a damage boost but it mostly culminates in Rage Arts or the rage attack, which needs to be landed or combo'd into.

But going into a final round where the game just hands the losing player full meter is pretty whack sounding...

Rage as a comeback mechanic isn't terrible, it's all in the implementation.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Totally different, because in SC V the guy which was beated to, say, the 12% of its life and which could have been defeated with a poke or two now is "de facto" mitigating damage as its real HP is ~30%. In Tekken the guy with low life still can die in a blink. Also SC V rewarded a guy losing two rounds filling it's super (and I'm not fan uf supers at all, neither SC I, II or III needed those things to be fun).

At the end, mix of high risk due counters in 8WR + the comeback mechanics made SC V a very linear/static/2D game. I do expect that both mechanics do fade away in the final version of the game; it should reward people moving around the rings in non linear ways and shouldn't reward in any way the player with did worse along the match.
Ugh. Where to start? Guts doesn't kick in until the last 10%, which is 24 points. Again, using Mitsurugi, I can still kill you outright with about 70% of my movelist in one hit/natural combo, and a full 90% of my movelist can bypass this threshold. Rage in Tekken kicks in at 20%, meaning it's more difficult to kill someone "in an blink" before they have a chance to get their Rage Art off. And let's not forget that Rage Arts are super moves that you get every round for losing which has armor, and does significant damage. Meanwhile, Critical Arts can be stuffed and Guard Impacted by the entire cast. Bottom line, everyone becomes more conservative when their opponent gets Rage in Tekken and no one changes their playstyle when Guts kicks in on SoulCalibur. It's an annoyance, not a game changer.

Regarding run counters in SC6, so far the counter hit property only works using horizontals attacks against side moving opponents. SC2 had notoriously weak A attacks and this measure seeks to address that weakness, considering we are returning to SC2 style movement speed and safety (step-guard is also back).

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I never really minded that part because it works both ways. If the guy who lost 2 rounds and was given one meter for a round came back, then the guy who was originally winning is the one that gets an extra meter for the final round.

Yeah I liked it too, it just made the later rounds more hype because there was more meter in play. Plus it was consistent, since both players got it once a match (if it went 5 rounds). Much different than rage, especially in T6, which felt way more random, since you can miss out on it completely if you get launched outside of rage and die in the juggle. Rage just felt like noise, meter boost felt strategic.

On another topic, are brave edges confirmed to be out? That would be disappointing, I really liked them, they were my favorite meter mechanic.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I liked it too, it just made the later rounds more hype because there was more meter in play. Plus it was consistent, since both players got it once a match (if it went 5 rounds). Much different than rage, especially in T6, which felt way more random, since you can miss out on it completely if you get launched outside of rage and die in the juggle. Rage just felt like noise, meter boost felt strategic.

On another topic, are brave edges confirmed to be out? That would be disappointing, I really liked them, they were my favorite meter mechanic.

I'm wondering if they'll be hidden behind soul charge. Kind of like the way EX moves work in KoF14.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Soul Charge is the mechanic I'm most curious about. Looks like all of the BE's got dumped into this mode, along with chip damage. We still don't know if counter hits will be applied to all moves like Soul Charge of years past. There's a hit box on activation and it kind of looks like you can cancel out of moves into it. It could end up being a super versatile tool. Soul Charge combos are gonna be hype as fuck.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017

I still don't get how it punishes the player in the lead. They just have to hit them twice with a lower damage poke, or they'll have to take a nothing "risk" to hit someone for 20 damage.

Because that 2K in SCV could just as easily get blocked then stabbed on reaction by Pyrrha, or CE punished by quite a few characters. So the whole guts whining doesn't make much sense within the engine unless you're playing Raphael.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting so hyped for this game. Got my hands on an Xbox 360 so I finally get a chance to play IV or V. So which one should I go for? Haven't played since II on the GC.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting so hyped for this game. Got my hands on an Xbox 360 so I finally get a chance to play IV or V. So which one should I go for? Haven't played since II on the GC.

V has better gameplay (in my opinion : fast, dynamic, and with usable supers), but also has changed many of the characters. Its story mode is barebone and centered on a handful of the new characters. But there is a good "kumite" mode where you fight different AIs with their own style. Has a great character editor.
IV has all your traditional characters, I don't remember much of the solo to be honest but I guess it was more traditional than V. There is also some kind of survival mode (a tower where each level is a different challenge), where you can use equipment that changes your stats. I don't like that mode much, the game as a whole is ok but nothing special.

Rajang

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Ugh. Where to start? Guts doesn't kick in until the last 10%, which is 24 points. Again, using Mitsurugi, I can still kill you outright with about 70% of my movelist in one hit/natural combo, and a full 90% of my movelist can bypass this threshold. Rage in Tekken kicks in at 20%, meaning it's more difficult to kill someone "in an blink" before they have a chance to get their Rage Art off. And let's not forget that Rage Arts are super moves that you get every round for losing which has armor, and does significant damage. Meanwhile, Critical Arts can be stuffed and Guard Impacted by the entire cast. Bottom line, everyone becomes more conservative when their opponent gets Rage in Tekken and no one changes their playstyle when Guts kicks in on SoulCalibur. It's an annoyance, not a game changer.

Regarding run counters in SC6, so far the counter hit property only works using horizontals attacks against side moving opponents. SC2 had notoriously weak A attacks and this measure seeks to address that weakness, considering we are returning to SC2 style movement speed and safety (step-guard is also back).

Rage Arts are one of the most unsafe and easily punishable moves in T7. You also dont take in the fact that you can also have low to very low HP left when you are put in rage. The armor of the Rage Art isn't going to do anything in those situations. And the armor isnt there all the time, the only time its there is when you commit to that very risky move. You rarely see them in competitive play or even higher level play in ranked, it's mostly used as combo enders. Rage Arts is not the thing that players are scared of when Rage is activated, it's usually Rage Drives and the strength of each RD depends greatly on the character.

When you put your opponent in a situation where they don't have much life left, what you do in most fighting games is chip them down with safer/faster/less damaging moves. That still works when your opponent has Rage, no one is going to mash Rage Arts when his opponent is only using moves with low start up frames.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Rage Arts are one of the most unsafe and easily punishable moves in T7. You also dont take in the fact that you can also have low to very low HP left when you are put in rage. The armor of the Rage Art isn't going to do anything in those situations. And the armor isnt there all the time, the only time its there is when you commit to that very risky move. You rarely see them in competitive play or even higher level play in ranked, it's mostly used as combo enders. Rage Arts is not the thing that players are scared of when Rage is activated, it's usually Rage Drives and the strength of each RD depends greatly on the character.

When you put your opponent in a situation where they don't have much life left, what you do in most fighting games is chip them down with safer/faster/less damaging moves. That still works when your opponent has Rage, no one is going to mash Rage Arts when his opponent is only using moves with low start up frames.
Really the Guts system doesn't really discourage that behavior in practice.

I played for half an hour and only noted a few times it would've made a difference, and then I won almost immediately anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrPAfhsdj_Y

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017

IV:
* Bigger character roster with more fan favourite characters. I'm pretty sure all of the characters in II are also in V.
* Better singleplayer content than V (though III is the game in the series which really shines singleplayer-wise).
* Absolutely dreadful netcode. You might as well ignore the fact it has online support.
* Plays slower than II.

V:
* Some of your favourite characters from II might be gone (no Seong Mina, Yun Seong, Xianghua, Cassandra, Kilik, Talim, Taki, Sophita).
* Good netcode.
* A story mode which would compete for having the worst written storyline in the history of gaming.
* Plays faster than IV with a bunch of gameplay changes, though I think most of the changes made it lose some of its identity as a Soulcalibur game (guard impacts are practically gone, 8 way run isn't as powerful as in II, a little bit more combo heavy than your traditional SC game, and almost all of the new mechanics are taken from Street Fighter games).
* People generally consider V much better balanced than IV (though as a casual player I don't think you'd notice major balance issues in IV).

I'd personally go with IV, and then get V later if you can afford it.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who generally plays fighting games on a casual level but still tries to practice and improve I found SC4 utterly unapproachable with move lists of each character taking up 5 or more pages printed out and every character having almost nothing in common. I felt like I had to do more studying than what was involved in my college classes at the time to get proficient at anything. I would never recommend SC4 to anyone that wanted to ever seriously attempt to learn a fighting game.

SC5 was a huge breath of fresh air in comparison and I hope SC6 leans more toward the latter than the former.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who generally plays fighting games on a casual level but still tries to practice and improve I found SC4 utterly unapproachable with move lists of each character taking up 5 or more pages printed out and every character having almost nothing in common. I felt like I had to do more studying than what was involved in my college classes at the time to get proficient at anything. I would never recommend SC4 to anyone that wanted to ever seriously attempt to learn a fighting game.

SC5 was a huge breath of fresh air in comparison and I hope SC6 leans more toward the latter than the former.
The move lists in SC4 might be long but they follow a simple pattern that's easier to follow than most fighting games. Like, with siegfried, for example, it's a matter of hold-downs during combos to get into stances which mutate your moveset. If you understood that then you can pretty much learn all his moves without even looking at the movelist.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mitsu says...sorry, but we getting all our stuff back.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017

Just in terms of getting ready for SCVI, I'd never recommend SCIV for that. SCV's going to be far closer to what we're getting in SCVI. Maybe try SC2 on Dolphin to get a sense of the movement speed.

Though honestly, Tekken 7 would probably be a really good prep tool as well.

Last edited:

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With just a couple of fighters and Versus stages playable in my PS4 hands-on, and Okubo tight-lipped about other modes, it's hard to get a sense of this, but the reduced line-up - I counted 20 slots on the select screen - and choice of old mainstays Sophitia and Mitsurugi as announcement characters are certainly in keeping with a return to roots.

Those comments for Reversal Edge, though. Okubo seems prepared for some "backlash".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...is-a-return-to-roots-with-an-accessible-twist

Nov 3, 2017
Gameplay

The slow motion turning into a short window for attacking/defending/evading is neat

I hope there aren't replays after every round

Character Select Screen (courtesy of Flying Wonkey)
DRUN6OtUMAAKbaj.jpg:orig