• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These games are literally movies nowadays. They don't even bother with gameplay anymore.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Looks dope. You posted on gaming though, should ask mod to move it.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
It's save to say that we have finally surpassed or at least matched Pixar movies in terms of graphics.

Looking forward to the movie.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Incredibles game when

Feels like the perfect universe and pace of the chase/action sequences to take advantage of the SSDs in PS5+XSX. Something with Insomniac's budget level. Hell just let them develop it in partnership with Pixar. Print money.

Something like Level-5 collaborating with Studio Ghibli for Ni No Kuni would be incredible. I could see Media Molecule or even Nintendo partnering with them on a game.

On-topic though, the trailer does look phenomenal. I missed Onward and Good Dinosaur but I'll definitely be checking this out.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the afterlife stuff not as large as it previously seemed, or are the straight up hiding that shit?

Oct 25, 2017
This trailer feels like a response to the "all animated black lead characters transform into some other shit for 75% of the movie" criticism levied at it earlier, since it used no "soul world" footage.
Is the afterlife stuff not as large as it previously seemed, or are the straight up hiding that shit?
Probably because of what I wrote above.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I really wouldn't be surprised if they're just hiding it now and only showing clips from the ~10-20 minutes of the film tops where the protagonist is a human black man and not a blue soul blob. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but I also expect very little.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I imagine they deliberately edited around that stuff. But it's still a movie about a black man who dies, even if they are hiding the framing device of his little cartoon ghost self. They got alot of deserved eyerolling saying "black people never just get to stay human in animated movies."

But i have zero expectation that after his character dies, all the human stuff will be like looking through a window at isolated moments rather than scene-after-scene-after-scene of his actual life

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I saw what looked like a classic Mets jersey and made me tingly (miss my Darryl Strawberry shirt when I was a kid). Would they have real teams in this?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is def in direct response to the criticisms. I wouldn't expect this footage to be more than brief moments from his life we get to see while he is in soul form.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what a weird fucking trailer to hide the fact he dies/is having an out of body experience and supposedly the majority of the movie is spent in that form. Particularly when they've already shown it in the first major trailer.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This movie will probably be great, and I'm guessing the sountrack is also going to be amazing, but holy shit does this artstyle give every character weird looking heads.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Has this been confirmed how long they're in the soul/afterlife?
I'm guessing most of it. Most of the human stuff is gonna be looking into windows of his life, probably. This doesn't show anything of the other character who is probably hopping around distracting him before he says something mean to her like "your life wasn't as meaningful as mine because I made music" yadda yadda yadda

And it's a Pixar movie, so it still has to end on a big action scene where they go "OH NO, THE ____ IS COLLAPSING! WE AREN'T GONNA MAKE IT IN TIME!" as they hop on ghost platforms or something.

This trailer feels like them trying real fucking hard to sell this movie as something better than it'll end up being.

Man, I really wish this was the movie we were getting and not the actual premise that the trailer is purposefully hiding. I know Disney isn't about to give Pixar $150 million+ for a movie about a black man "merely" trying to reconnect with his musical roots in his community and reconcile with his family, but I would much rather see that film played straight than the afterlife training stuff that they are doing. I need way more Chico & Rita and less, umm, normal Pixar stuff I guess.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
It looks like when the main character is standing on the beach he has grey hair and aged. Definitely hope we follow more as a human than as a soul.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really wish this was the movie we were getting and not the actual premise that the trailer is purposefully hiding. I know Disney isn't about to give Pixar $150 million+ for a movie about a black man "merely" trying to reconnect with his musical roots in his community and reconcile with his family, but I would much rather see that film played straight than the afterlife training stuff that they are doing.
ultimately this is the issue. Disney and Pixar aren't going to make a movie with no kind of angle that children and other younger audiences can enjoy. They could have absolutely found an angle with musical numbers, quirky characters and maybe a more light hearted note to make it appealing to kids but I guess they wanted their cake and to eat it too so give the adults the few minutes of the musical search and the rest is the afterlife aspect.

Ratatouille was arguably one of their weirdest movies that only had really the rat aspect as the main appeal for kids. I think that's lightning in a bottle and it won't happen again.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I cannot stress enough how badly I want this movie to succeed. Pete Docter is an exceptional director with all of his movies.

Ratatouille was arguably one of their weirdest movies that only had really the rat aspect as the main appeal for kids. I think that's lightning in a bottle and it won't happen again.

That movie was also the last feature film to be greenlit before Disney's acquisition of Pixar so that's another factor to consider.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Starting the trailer i was thinking 'hmm i remember the first trailer was like "hey that's a black protagonist in a pixar movie, ho wait, he's blue most of the time actuallly... but then BLM happened so they'll probably stick a little longer before the transformation here".

Well wow :p They literally cut a trailer about an other movie!

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Starting the trailer i was thinking 'hmm i remember the first trailer was like "hey that's a black protagonist in a pixar movie, ho wait, he's blue most of the time actuallly... but then BLM happened so they'll probably stick a little longer before the transformation here".

Well wow :p They literally cut a trailer about an other movie!
I kinda feel like they cut that trailer specifically to show him human more after complaints which is legitimate but I seriously hope the movie shows a lot more of him human... I'm afraid We probably saw... most of the human clips. But these moments look absolutely incredible

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Man it fucking sucks we can't go to the movies.

I would love to see this in the theater.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really wish this was the movie we were getting and not the actual premise that the trailer is purposefully hiding. I know Disney isn't about to give Pixar $150 million+ for a movie about a black man "merely" trying to reconnect with his musical roots in his community and reconcile with his family, but I would much rather see that film played straight than the afterlife training stuff that they are doing. I need way more Chico & Rita and less, umm, normal Pixar stuff I guess.

Absolutely. The blue blob soul world basura just reminds me of inside out redux

Still ill see it cuz of all the talent involved tho.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll reserve judgement on the movie until I see it for myself, but going to echo the others here that the movie this trailer is presenting looks infinitely more appealing.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Trent Reznor is doing the music for this movie. I can't wait to hear him try his hand at some Jazz arrangements.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
what a weird fucking trailer to hide the fact he dies/is having an out of body experience and supposedly the majority of the movie is spent in that form. Particularly when they've already shown it in the first major trailer.
Holy shit. I just watched another trailer to see what you were talking about. It's like Two different movies, and I much prefer this trailer to the other one I just watched. Damn it.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Disney really took the criticism of the first trailers to heart, huh? Not enough to change the movie itself, I assume, but enough to cut trailers to avoid the afterlife stuff.

May 24, 2019
Sorry to bump, but the movie had it's premiere to great reviews and I don't think there's a thread for it yet.
www.metacritic.com

Soul

Joe Gardner is a middle-school band teacher who gets the chance of a lifetime to play at the best jazz club in town. But one small misstep takes him from the streets of New York City to The Great Before – a fantastical place where new souls get their personalities, quirks and interests before...