Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
So Hwang does have a new design, as I thought.

Take that Hwang deniers!

Bottom art is from Soul Edge/Blade.

His design in VI still looks the same as SCI Hwang, which was always the design in question.

hwang-fl.jpg

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
He would need a better buff than that. That needs to be a baseline ability with SC just making it stronger.

Allow him to hold Ein attacks for a while. Ein appears on screen and sits there while you get to move around and continue attacking. Ein attack becomes a break attack if held for the full length. Lethal hit if Ein interrupts certain attacks that would have hit you.

Not a Zwei player so just thinking about stuff that would make him more unique or interesting

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say Hwang is completely different, but it feels like Mitsurugi's and Sophitia's designs to me in that there are some differences but it's pretty close to their SC1 design. Plus it's not like having an almost exact SC1 design hasn't happened for anyone in the roster already. Look at Nightmare; he looks almost exactly like he does in SC1.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say Hwang is completely different, but it feels like Mitsurugi's and Sophitia's designs to me in that there are some differences but it's pretty close to their SC1 design. Plus it's not like having an almost exact SC1 design hasn't happened for anyone in the roster already. Look at Nightmare; he looks almost exactly like he does in SC1.
Exactly this.

I was pointing it out because people were trying to use it as "proof" he wouldn't be in the game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It's completely different.

They updated his design just like they did with other characters like Mitsurugi, Maxi, etc. Just because it's still similar doesn't mean it's the same.

Man, he looks nearly identical. The gloves? Identical. The waistband? Identical. Headband? Identical. The only difference I see in his shoulder emblem is that it looks a little more oblong than in his official renders from 1999. Besides that, you can already find inconsistencies between his drawings in the game.

20_soul01.jpg

clipboard01b-png.51924

hwang-fl.jpg

The purple trim on his neck cloth is gone in middle picture, and his emblem is nowhere in sight on the top picture (I know he's flipped, but given the emblem's size, it should still be visible).

The only consistent differences I've seen are that the inner part of his neck cloth is not purple and the design by his right shoulder is missing, but it's also missing in his original SC1 art, so maybe it's just hard to draw.

Besides that, this is far beyond the similarities other characters bear to their SC1 selves. Nightmare's general design might be similar to his SC1 self, but his armor has far more additional detail than it ever had back then. Hwang's detail is about 1 to 1 with his classic self.

I'd like to see playable Hwang, but I think you're reaching here.

Last edited:

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Man, he looks nearly identical. The gloves? Identical. The waistband? Identical. Headband? Identical. The only difference I see in his shoulder emblem is that it looks a little more oblong than in his official renders from the 2000s. Besides that, you can already find inconsistencies between his drawings in the game.

The purple trim on his neck cloth is gone in the bottom picture, and his emblem is nowhere in sight on the top picture.

The only consistent differences I've seen are that the inner part of his neck cloth is not purple and the design by his right shoulder is missing, but it's also missing in his original SC1 art, so maybe it's just hard to draw. Besides that, this is far beyond the similarities other characters bear to their SC1 selves.

I'd like to see playable Hwang, but I think you're reaching here.
You proposed the idea that since he had the same outfit his chances were diminished compared to Cassandra. That's not reason enough, but even that's now been disproven.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
When did I say that? I'm just saying that his design isn't new, even relative to other classic-leaning designs.
When Cassandra was discovered in the story mode, I mentioned that Hwang was also present in the story and you replied...

Difference is that he looked identical to his SCI design.

Implying that his design presumably being the same somehow lessened his chances compared to Cassandra.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
When Cassandra was discovered in the story mode, I mentioned that Hwang was also present in the story and you replied...

Implying that his design presumably being the same somehow lessened his chances compared to Cassandra.

Oh, back then. Well, I stand by that. While I think it's possible that the likes of Cassandra and Amy were only redesigned because they had no official appearances for SC1's time, I think it presents a better case than Hwang, who looks almost identical to his SC1 self, besides very minor artist's embellishments. Or rather, reverse embellishments as it seems more detail is missing than has been added.

For the record, I don't care for Amy or Cassandra. If the SP includes them, Tira, and a 4th who I'm not interested in, I might seriously consider just buying the CaS packs separately. I would much rather have Hwang. If Aeon is locked somewhere in the base game, then he (or Yun) is my most wanted for DLC. I just don't think his design can be considered new in the way the others are.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, back then. Well, I stand by that. While I think it's possible that the likes of Cassandra and Amy were only redesigned because they had no official appearances for SC1's time, I think it presents a better case than Hwang, who looks almost identical to his SC1 self, besides very minor artist's embellishments. Or rather, reverse embellishments as it seems more detail is missing than has been added.

For the record, I don't care for Amy or Cassandra. If the SP includes them, Tira, and a 4th who I'm not interested in, I might seriously consider just buying the CaS packs separately. I would much rather have Hwang. If Aeon is locked somewhere in the base game, then he (or Yun) is my most wanted for DLC. I just don't think his design can be considered new in the way the others are.
Believe in the emblem. The emblem will save us all.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was talking about the original art in Scotia's post.
Cool little reference from Mina's story mode (last one I'll post I swear):

clipboard01b-png.51924

clipboard04c-png.51925
One has underboobs, one has fully exposed legs and almost seems like she doesn't have underwear. Plus, her boobs are visible in ways her outfit shouldn't allow. Plus, the original damsel in distress situation, which of course was kept because of course.
Maybe underboobs are more triggering for some people, but it's not like the original art was not heavily sexualized.
I'm not arguing that SC6 is worse or better than SC1. I'm saying that SC1 seems more tame in 2018, because the times have changed. SC1 when it was released was plenty lewd, much sexier than Tekken and Street Fighter, a step behind DOA. I'm not sure how DOA6 will end up being, but if we keep DOA5 for the example, I'd say things have remained mostly the same?

There is something interesting in wanting things to remain like 20 years ago, because the sexy of 20 years ago is the conservative of 2018.

On a different topic, add me to the group who liked Xiba's art, was disappointed in his treatment in the game (poor model, absent from the scenario), and still like him better than boring Kilik and Siegfried. I wish the game was a follow-up to 5 and gave the poor boy a proper development.

Jan 11, 2018
One has underboobs, one has fully exposed legs and almost seems like she doesn't have underwear. Plus, her boobs are visible in ways her outfit shouldn't allow. Plus, the original damsel in distress situation, which of course was kept because of course.

At least he's looking into her eyes in the original art...

:/

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
DLC speculation time...

So what are the chances the season pass is Tira, Cassandra, Amy, and unknown guest? Or did Namco randomly feel like dressing Cassandra and Amy up for the story mode? The latter is possible, but it seems a bit peculiar as they haven't done that with anyone else (from what I've seen anyway).

See, this is the logical conclusion to come to, but then again Namco doesn't use logic, so who the hell really knows LOL.

If they do put in Amy over Setsuka that would be really disappointing for me. Amy kinda sucks.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Intro cinematics would be pretty sweet too. It might bloat the file size a bit, but it won't be as bad as T7, since SoulCalibur has never used CG for its endings and so those wouldn't be included.

Mostly I just want an easily recordable/screen-shottable SCIII intro that isn't compressed to hell.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. This has been one of my top game franchises since SC1 on the Dreamcast, but it's weird how little I've followed SCVI. I also think it's a sign of the state of the series (or maybe just other AAA games) when I haven't seen that much hype for this game outside basically the FGC. SC used to be a top-billed series, to the point where even casual console gamers got into it. I think what happened was a combination of SCV and other AAA games just getting that much bigger.

Anyway, what's happening here feature-wise? I haven't put my money down yet but the lack of a proper arcade mode would be disappointing. To be honest I'm mostly interested in the story modes. All three of my mains are in: Mitsurugi, Kilik, and Xianghua, but I'm jumping back on Hwang immediately. One of the reasons I got into SC back in the day is because of how much content was packed in each game. SC1 felt insane at the time, fighting games had nowhere near that much stuff to do. I really miss the character profile mode where you could read their stories while viewing their models in 3D and going through all their voice samples. I think III was the last game to do that. I'm not expecting that to come back in VI but it would be dope. For that and other reasons characters and story were always a main draw of SC. That being said though, I got WAY into SCIV's "story" mode ("Tower of Souls" was it?) even though it was just like 60 consecutive fights with minimum context. Man, to think SCVI was one of the games that jump-started the current fighting game renaissance 10 years ago. Is it safe to say that renaissance has ended? How would you even split up "eras" of fighting games?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
DLC speculation time...

• Characters like Yun-seong, Rock, Setsuka, Hilde, and Li Long seem to be completely missing in action (though some are mentioned in Museum mode).
  • We've seen Edge Master, Hwang, and Lizardman with old designs. Lizardman gets his moveset from SC1 or 2 but no indication he's playable.
  • We've seen Cassandra and Amy with new, intricate designs.
  • Looking back to the big Facebook poll from 3 years ago, Cassandra and Amy are the characters with the most votes who are currently not in SC6.
  • Out of all the returning characters in Lost Swords, Cassandra and Amy are the ones who haven't returned to SC6 yet.
  • I think there's no doubt that "waifus" have the highest sales potential as DLC (I don't like putting Amy into the waifu category, but I think that's how Project Soul sees her).
So what are the chances the season pass is Tira, Cassandra, Amy, and unknown guest? Or did Namco randomly feel like dressing Cassandra and Amy up for the story mode? The latter is possible, but it seems a bit peculiar as they haven't done that with anyone else (from what I've seen anyway).

I personally think it's Tira, Hilde, Female guest, Viola.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Okay. This has been one of my top game franchises since SC1 on the Dreamcast, but it's weird how little I've followed SCVI. I also think it's a sign of the state of the series (or maybe just other AAA games) when I haven't seen that much hype for this game outside basically the FGC. SC used to be a top-billed series, to the point where even casual console gamers got into it. I think what happened was a combination of SCV and other AAA games just getting that much bigger.

Anyway, what's happening here feature-wise? I haven't put my money down yet but the lack of a proper arcade mode would be disappointing. To be honest I'm mostly interested in the story modes. All three of my mains are in: Mitsurugi, Kilik, and Xianghua, but I'm jumping back on Hwang immediately. One of the reasons I got into SC back in the day is because of how much content was packed in each game. SC1 felt insane at the time, fighting games had nowhere near that much stuff to do. I really miss the character profile mode where you could read their stories while viewing their models in 3D and going through all their voice samples. I think III was the last game to do that. I'm not expecting that to come back in VI but it would be dope. For that and other reasons characters and story were always a main draw of SC. That being said though, I got WAY into SCIV's "story" mode ("Tower of Souls" was it?) even though it was just like 60 consecutive fights with minimum context. Man, to think SCVI was one of the games that jump-started the current fighting game renaissance 10 years ago. Is it safe to say that renaissance has ended? How would you even split up "eras" of fighting games?
I also enjoyed the Tower of Souls :) it gets hated on these days!
We don't know 100% on everything yet, but the SP content is split up like so:

- An apparently barely-there Arcade mode vs 8 random opponents
- Story mode, including individual (but short) character stories, not sure of the full length but people were mentioning it'll take 30 minutes per character alone
- Libra of Souls, a mode for your created character which sounds a lot like the old weapon master mode. It has multiple fights with set restrictions like the old days, plus leveling up (??)

I think that's it, maybe somebody can jump in and elaborate on some of this.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There are more fighters being released of higher quality than we've seen in two decades.

This, to me, looks like it will be the best playing game in the franchise.

The "renaissance" continues, whatever people mean by that when...it's been going strong for a decade.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say...Pat would be super dope in this game with all the shit-talking characters do now.

I mean, he's awesome anyway, but the anime fighting game chatter would put him over the top.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
they can add Patroklus
but he'd need to be the correct age
make the two year old playable

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Honestly, I would not be surprised if they gave the sword & board babbies' unique moves to Cassandra so she can be distinct from Sophitia

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Careful now! Being a fan of Patroklos is considered an unforgivable sin.

Considering what most fanbases consider the commandments, I really couldn't care less the general opinion. People in here asking for Amy, afterall.

He had the only S&S moveset I've enjoyed (aside from Lizardboi's axe & shield). I'd like to see it return sometime.

I love Sophie, but I think Pat's moveset is way better.