• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I can't wait to proudly display Cervante's massive pecs in my living room. Guests will awed.

Funny story: I preordered Soul Calibur II a 100 years ago and got a t-shirt for it. I swear to god the shirt was XXL and had artwork with Ivy ironed onto it. I was like 11-12 years old at the time and couldn't been more embarrassed to come home with it.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That exhibition was so dope. Siegfried and Zas look like fucking beasts.

Taki tho <3 <3 <3

She is going to rush down so hard she'll feel like she's in you. All the time.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Guess the character reveal tomorrow?

I'm calling Voldo. Voldo pre-order statue would be dope.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
This game better have an amazing intro just like in Soul Calibur II. It's been waaaaay too long...

II's is all right, but it's like... 3rd best. Hampered by weird camera work and editing. Best is either III/Edge depending on how much late 90s videogame CG and fun campy music tickles you.

IV's and V's are underwhelming for sure though. I much prefer the intros that showcase a large number of cast members.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
II's is all right, but it's like... 3rd best. Hampered by weird camera work and editing. Best is either III/Edge depending on how much late 90s videogame CG and fun campy music tickles you.

IV's and V's are underwhelming for sure though. I much prefer the intros that showcase a large number of cast members.

Intros:

Edge > SC II > SC III > SC/SC IV/SC V.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I would absolutely love it if we got the Edge of Soul back in some fashion, it's just so delightfully charming in the most cheesy fashion. I adore it so much.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they just copy and pasted the press release without even bothering to check it?
Leaving Japanese screenshots that don't explain the text ("you might find yourself in battles with restrictions." => Japanese screenshot saying "Soul charge forbidden").

Neither game journalists nor Namco's western marketing division can be bothered with this game, it's sad.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Did they just copy and pasted the press release without even bothering to check it?
Leaving Japanese screenshots that don't explain the text ("you might find yourself in battles with restrictions." => Japanese screenshot saying "Soul charge forbidden").

Neither game journalists nor Namco's western marketing division can be bothered with this game, it's sad.
Are you new to fighting games marketing? SC VI is being pretty well spread throughout the media in comparison to basically any fighting game nowadays. And it's not like they won't show this mode one way or another. They've probably not translated yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Talim's outfit is outrageous. I guess it shouldn't surprise me given the outfits for the ladies of this game, but...it kinda did regardless.

It's good to see her back, though! Further increases the chances of Tira/Cervantes for next month!

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Was this screenshot posted? What's with the blurred names? 7 characters we don't know?
007-4.jpg

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Was this screenshot posted? What's with the blurred names? 7 characters we don't know?
Not that picture specifically, but we've seen the timeline before, and the lower names were covered up by the graphic instead of the upper names. Yeah, the blurred names are characters that haven't been shown yet (and Talim).

Oct 26, 2017
That small name above Zasalamel makes me think it's Tira.

Also, Rothion? I wonder if that screenshot inadvertently revealed the next new character, or if it's just a created character for the story mode.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Also, Rothion? I wonder if that screenshot inadvertently revealed the next new character, or if it's just a created character for the story mode.
Probably for story mode. He's not supposed to be much of a fighter, that's part of his character. It would be a weird person to pluck out of the lore and turn into a main roster character.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Talim's design is kind of disappointing to me. I wish they made it closer to her look in Soul Calibur II.

Yeah man, all that Yoshi footage was amazing. :p

(ZWEI please)
I am curious as to what you find appealing about ZWEI. I did not really enjoy or play much Soul Calibur V but out of the new characters he stood out to me as the most ridiculous and goofy. I trust your opinions on these kind of things, so I am confident you can change my viewpoint here.

Jan 11, 2018
I am curious as to what you find appealing about ZWEI.

I can't speak for DrDogg, but I think he's interesting in terms of his design. Besides being hot af, I think the whole "werewolf... but not really" thing he's got going on with his companion is interesting and makes for some nice variety. Then again, I also like Unknown/Jun i the TTT2.

He's decently fun to play as, but could use a buff or two. There's a lot of potential there.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Talim's design is kind of disappointing to me. I wish they made it closer to her look in Soul Calibur II.

I am curious as to what you find appealing about ZWEI. I did not really enjoy or play much Soul Calibur V but out of the new characters he stood out to me as the most ridiculous and goofy. I trust your opinions on these kind of things, so I am confident you can change my viewpoint here.

He brought a unique playstyle to 3D games. His whole gimmick was pretty much a jojo's/persona 4 Arena character in 3D. It's not something you see in a 3D fighter. He ended up sucking, but that happens a lot with these unique takes. They either end up too good (Viola) or shit (ZWEI). He already plays differently from anything else in a 3D fighter, but done well, he'd be really awesome to play and fight.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked ZWEI despite thinking his visual design was trash. But his stand-based gameplay had a lot of potential so I want him back too. Maybe not nearly as much as Dr. Dogg, but still.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

I think she looks fine, but what I find super disappointing is how they're re-using old looks much more than any other Soul Calibur. Where's the creativity and originality? : /

Also, all the characters better have a second costume and not just a lazy colour swap, because if it's only colour swaps then that might actually be a deal breaker for me.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I can't speak for DrDogg, but I think he's interesting in terms of his design. Besides being hot af, I think the whole "werewolf... but not really" thing he's got going on with his companion is interesting and makes for some nice variety. Then again, I also like Unknown/Jun i the TTT2.

He's decently fun to play as, but could use a buff or two. There's a lot of potential there.
See, the design is directly what I hate. He felt as out of place in the series as Yoda did IMO. I barely played him so I have no idea if he had some interesting mechanics to him or anything though.

He brought a unique playstyle to 3D games. His whole gimmick was pretty much a jojo's/persona 4 Arena character in 3D. It's not something you see in a 3D fighter. He ended up sucking, but that happens a lot with these unique takes. They either end up too good (Viola) or shit (ZWEI). He already plays differently from anything else in a 3D fighter, but done well, he'd be really awesome to play and fight.
I can see what you mean by that. I guess SCV in general was super unfinished though. Shame!

Outside of his Jojo-like Stand thing I feel like Groh is covering a lot of the aesthetics they wanted with him, so I would be kind of surprised to see him return for this game. If you guys want him in that much though I'm rootin' for ya!

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ZWEI felt so limited, especially his EIN moves.

I think she looks fine, but what I find super disappointing is how they're re-using old looks much more than any other Soul Calibur. Where's the creativity and originality? : /

Also, all the characters better have a second costume and not just a lazy colour swap, because if it's only colour swaps then that might actually be a deal breaker for me.
Namco's goal is to ride that nostalgia train, that's why costumes are so familiar.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Awww, Talim's so tiny! Good. Her outfit's not see through now, as it was at parts in her last appearance. It just has weird open hip areas. Given modern design styles, I'm disturbed I just think "it's not as bad as it COULD be!" They're gonna push the edge of her "purity" aspect as far as it can go, huh?

Nice to see the WINDs finally factoring into her attacks now, rather than just kinda passively. Happy with the initial look, looking forward to seeing more. And not this means I get to see her in awesome 2D artworks in this story mode, which is a nice bonus. Will finally be time to bring back the Soul Calibur IV Nakoruru custom look for her, haha. And so, so many more.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I don't see him as any more out of place than Ivy, a half-naked BDSM dominatrix with white/purple-ish hair and breasts larger than her bloody head. This game has since long abandoned its more serious "Last Blade with polygons" aesthetics.
If you mentioned one of Tira''s especially goofy designs or like I guess Necrid I would partially agree with you, but Ivy? Really? The weirdest thing about Ivy is her weapon. She is pretty fantastical but pretty in-line with everything else in Soul Calibur 1. She is really not that much removed from Voldo, for example.

On a visual level Z.W.E.I. to me just feels like they wanted to make something as weird as possible just for the sake of it. Everything from his outfit, to his moveset to the colors all over him and more stand out from the rest of the series. Even his name is super weird.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. The name above Zasalamel is Talim. Sandwiched between Ivy and Nightmare is probably Cervantes, Astaroth and Lizardman in that order. In another screenshot we see a blurred name under Groh who is probably a new character. Under Sophitia is probably Tira, and below Yoshi is Voldo.

Jan 11, 2018
If you mentioned one of Tira''s especially goofy designs or like I guess Necrid I would partially agree with you, but Ivy? Really? The weirdest thing about Ivy is her weapon. She is pretty fantastical but pretty in-line with everything else in Soul Calibur 1. She is really not that much removed from Voldo, for example.

Please. His design is closer to that of Ivy than of Necrid. You can't argue that Ivy looks like she fits in with the 16th century aesthetics and then say that ZWEI somehow doesn't. He looks far more normal than Lizardman too, for that matter.

Even his name is super weird.

It's German for "two". Also clearly not his real name.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Rothion is Sophitia's husband and a blacksmith so it'd be a bit weird to make him a new fighter and then... have them fight?

Unless they're sparring new weapons for her and he's a CAC?

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

On a visual level Z.W.E.I. to me just feels like they wanted to make something as weird as possible just for the sake of it. Everything from his outfit, to his moveset to the colors all over him and more stand out from the rest of the series. Even his name is super weird.

In a game with Lizardman, Algol, Voldo, Astaroth, Yoshi...Zwei is too weird?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
TALIM IS BACK GUYS AGHHHHHHH MY MAIN IS BACK!!!!!! I JUST GOT UP AND NO SHAME WITH THESE CAPS. I AM TOO DAMN EXCITED. Vergeben did not disappoint me!!!! The outfit reminds me of SC IV and I like it a lot more. What's her age here though I wonder.

Jan 11, 2018
In a game with Lizardman, Algol, Voldo, Astaroth, Yoshi...Zwei is too weird?

He's one of the few sexualised male characters in the whole franchise and surprise, people have an issue with him (but not with the plethora of half naked women). I'm not saying that's why Virtua Sanus thinks he doesn't fit in, but it's too much of a coincidence not to address.