• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I remember when Remastered launched and it was a cavalcade of bell ringing. Here's a vid of it (not mine):

Anyway, decided to mess around with DS3 a bit. My aim this time was a balanced build.

1DT2NCV.jpg

Just kidding. Time to fuckign pwn some noobz

Areal

Nov 23, 2017
Australia and Japan
Playing through Demon's Souls for the first time in about eight years. Melee only, putting most of my points into dexterity. Started with the Falchion but now using an Uchigatana that I picked up somewhere. Stage order so far, noting the highlights:

1-1*
1-2
2-1
3-1*
4-1
2-2*
2-3
4-2*

The game absolutely holds up despite its age. The soundtrack and atmosphere really stand out, as well as the boss design (I'm finding the bosses to be generally easy, but I appreciate the variety in the encounters). Graphics look surprisingly good on a plasma too.

Anyway, I wanted to ask for some advice about where to start with the Dark Souls series. I have played (and replayed) Demon's, Bloodborne, and Sekiro, but Dark Souls never appealed to me for some reason. I know I should just start with DS1 remastered and play through in order (and they're all on sale on PSN at the moment) but realistically I won't have the time and I expect I'll burn out at some point. Is DS3 a good standalone experience? Any thoughts on which one to choose?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Playing through Demon's Souls for the first time in about eight years. Melee only, putting most of my points into dexterity. Started with the Falchion but now using an Uchigatana that I picked up somewhere. Stage order so far, noting the highlights:

1-1*
1-2
2-1
3-1*
4-1
2-2*
2-3
4-2*

The game absolutely holds up despite its age. The soundtrack and atmosphere really stand out, as well as the boss design (I'm finding the bosses to be generally easy, but I appreciate the variety in the encounters). Graphics look surprisingly good on a plasma too.

Anyway, I wanted to ask for some advice about where to start with the Dark Souls series. I have played (and replayed) Demon's, Bloodborne, and Sekiro, but Dark Souls never appealed to me for some reason. I know I should just start with DS1 remastered and play through in order (and they're all on sale on PSN at the moment) but realistically I won't have the time and I expect I'll burn out at some point. Is DS3 a good standalone experience? Any thoughts on which one to choose?
If you think you'll only play one, make it DS3. It's the best in the series, and while knowledge of the previous games will enhance the experience, it's not necessary.

All three are worth playing though. You could play DS1 and then take a break for a few weeks.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Large parts of DS3 are contingent on having played DS1 though. The weight of the more referential elements (of which there are many) is absent otherwise. I don't know. Definitely has the most fluid combat. I personally think DS1 and 2 are the best standalone experiences. While DS1 is the strongest game overall, there is a lot to enjoy about DS2 and all the more for DeS fans. It's got some of the brightest moments in the series while being a largely self-contained package. And it is evocative of Demon's Souls in many ways -- the hub and spoke structure, the health mechanic, themes of monarchy, bonfire ascetics are somewhat reminiscent of world tendency, the Emerald Herald and the Maiden in Black, etc. It's genuinely a good entry point for someone that liked Demon's Souls. If you'd only play one perhaps DS1 is the best choice, but as a follow up to DeS, I think there are good arguments to be made for DS2.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

1-1*
1-2
2-1
3-1*
4-1
2-2*
2-3
4-2*

DS3 imo has the best bosses, one of the best DLCs, and feels the best to play because of combat arts, spells getting their own mana, omnidirectional rolling, fast traveling. Just a bunch of QOL improvements that made it enjoyable. It's my fav of the Souls. I recommend it.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! Would anyone be able to help me out against the Orphan of Kos in the Bloodborne DLC? It's really kicking my ass...

Areal

Nov 23, 2017
Australia and Japan
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll start with DS1 remastered and take it from there.

Demon's Souls continues to impress. I finished 4-3, 3-2 and 3-3 last night. 3-2 was a highlight. Interesting level and the most challenging boss(es) so far. About to start on 5-1.

Edit: Now the question is whether or not I fully commit and buy all three while they are on sale...

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, fellow victims of the Dancer. The exact same thing happened to us in my neighbour's game. It was kind of annoying because it was yet another one of those large-ish mofos with long swords w/insane reach and kind of wibbly-wobbly manner of moving that I hate. It wasn't even all that hard but I was so upset that I had been so sneakily thrust into another boss fight and our souls were locked behind beating it that I was just not able to play well. ^_^;

Yup. Then on top you have to run through those douchbag knights taking a pop at you to get back to the boss. Grrrrrrr

I thought the boss was awesome though. I loved the movement even if that throw is kind of bullshit when it first comes out.

Edit: Now the question is whether or not I fully commit and buy all three while they are on sale...

I wouldn't worry about grabbing Dark Souls 3 as it's always on sale on PSN. Just get it when you're ready for it.

Areal

Nov 23, 2017
Australia and Japan
Finished 5-1, 5-2 and 5-3. Atmospheric for sure, but relatively straightforward. Some serious performance issues in 5-2 where all of the flies are buzzing around the corpses.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Finished 5-1, 5-2 and 5-3. Atmospheric for sure, but relatively straightforward. Some serious performance issues in 5-2 where all of the flies are buzzing around the corpses.

I really liked the setup for 5-3's boss. Super clever.
Did you join a private server? I recently watched a playthrough (by one of the BFSC hosts!) and they actually got invaded. Wild.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Dark Souls 3 has the best bosses and it's the best playing one, but it's so boringly linear, ugh.

Like looking at the video ClearMetal linked, that brought memories of reaching Sen's Fortress and not having a clue as to how to get in, having to explore and slowly inch your way forward and kinda solve the entire world as a mystery. DS3 has nothing of that.

They may as well have made DS3 level based with a hub; it really wouldn't have made any difference.

th

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Stuck on the two princes. The first phase is easy. The young one is just so magic resistant in the second phase that it becomes an endurance match with just enough time for me to keep failing so much that I don't last until I can beat him. I probably need to get up and personal. The Farron blade spell might be my best option since I think it might hit them both.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Stuck on the two princes. The first phase is easy. The young one is just so magic resistant in the second phase that it becomes an endurance match with just enough time for me to keep failing so much that I don't last until I can beat him. I probably need to get up and personal. The Farron blade spell might be my best option since I think it might hit them both.

You're thinking the right way. Get in there and whack him.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll start with DS1 remastered and take it from there.

Demon's Souls continues to impress. I finished 4-3, 3-2 and 3-3 last night. 3-2 was a highlight. Interesting level and the most challenging boss(es) so far. About to start on 5-1.

If you enjoy the Uchi, that's really fun to use on DS1, and you can get it really early. I used that plus a off hand shotel for parries as my first run on all of them other than 2, and I'd say it felt best on DS1, although I preferred Demon's shotel by a country mile.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
So I dunno if anyone here would really be interested in this, but I've been making these videos mostly for myself to enjoy at work. I use them as background noise when I'm at the office (or, lately, when I'm working from home but am too busy to actually play a game). I've always admired the sound design of the Souls games (particularly DS1), and the ambient noise kind of makes it feel like you're in Lordran while you answer emails or whatever. The POV also changes every five minutes, so it's not too boring if you do happen to have the video itself active on one monitor.

Anyway, if you happen to get something out of this, there's a few more on the channel and I try to make a new one every once in a while.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So I dunno if anyone here would really be interested in this, but I've been making these videos mostly for myself to enjoy at work. I use them as background noise when I'm at the office (or, lately, when I'm working from home but am too busy to actually play a game). I've always admired the sound design of the Souls games (particularly DS1), and the ambient noise kind of makes it feel like you're in Lordran while you answer emails or whatever. The POV also changes every five minutes, so it's not too boring if you do happen to have the video itself active on one monitor.

Anyway, if you happen to get something out of this, there's a few more on the channel and I try to make a new one every once in a while.

That's awesome.

Areal

Nov 23, 2017
Australia and Japan
Finished up Demon's Souls last night. I enjoyed 1-3 and the 1-4 boss, but I also lost over 200k souls messing about in 1-1.

I don't think I'll commit to grinding for the platinum, so onwards to Dark Souls.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you! Really pleased a few people are interested.

Finished up Demon's Souls last night. I enjoyed 1-3 and the 1-4 boss, but I also lost over 200k souls messing about in 1-1.

I don't think I'll commit to grinding for the platinum, so onwards to Dark Souls.

As someone who did it, I don't actually think the Demon's platinum is worth it. I always say that if the game does ever get remastered, they need to leave all the mechanics alone except for the pure bladestone drop rate.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Pure bladestone is just an April Fools joke like Sonic and Tails in Melee and no one will convince me otherwise.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Two princes effin' DONE. It became fairly easy once I figured out a good tactic, though it still required a couple of tries after that to succeed.

First phase was EZ so long as I didn't make any dumb mistakes. Just shot a few (maybe 6-7) Greater Heavy Soul Arrows and the older brother would be dead. Going too aggressively up close & personal to the two princes in the second phase wasn't a good idea because there really wasn't much in the way of openings because the boss just kept swinging that sword of his without pause if I kept him in close range. Probably would be fairly easy if one was skilled with parrying. But alas, no such luck with I.

Ultimately the best tactic was to keep the boss somewhere along midrange so that it would calm down a little bit while making its way closer (-> opening to get a GHSA hit in occasionally) but not too far that it would start teleporting around or the younger Prince shooting shit. Then try to shoot more GHSAs to get the older one to collapse. While the younger brother was resurrecting his older sibling, I closed in and tried to get 3-4 hits in with the Farron flashsword, then roll away to avoid the light blast, then close in to get ~3 more hits in while they were rising up. This would leave the older one with so little health that it only required maybe 3 hits from the GHSA to down it again, while also dealing a fair bit of damage to the little brother every cycle.

I was still down to zero estus flasks, but hey what's done is done. :3

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you dare go hollow is one of the coolest phrases especially when you draw your own comparisons to mental health that the phrase can bring.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've recently been playing around with a ton of visual/texture mods for Dark Souls 1 Remastered. I'm pleased with the balance of color and shadows, but I think it's a little too dark. What do ya'll think?

nwrKSBU.jpg

GQfpFLZ.jpg

7ua5zBh.jpg

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently been playing around with a ton of visual/texture mods for Dark Souls 1 Remastered. I'm pleased with the balance of color and shadows, but I think it's a little too dark. What do ya'll think?

nwrKSBU.jpg

GQfpFLZ.jpg

7ua5zBh.jpg
Yeah a bit too dark, perhaps.

Nameless king beaten. That took way too many tries considering how easy it is (with a sorcerer). The first phase took three soul streams and the second one didn't take that many more Crystal Soul Spears. My issue was basically that while its attacks were pretty well telegraphed and easy(ish) to dodge, in my antsiness, I kept dodging some of the attacks too early (especially the thrust attacks because it had a few different speed ones). That lead to me often losing 50-70% of my health in one hit and then I needed to heal because another hit would kill me, but in my panic I always healed at the worst possible moments (leading to my death or to more panic healing, which then might've lead to my death). The best strategy was then to keep my distance (it didn't do the annoyingly fast aerial move where it flies a half circle and then immediately comes at you with a lunge if I was far away). Staying closer meant death at some point or the other & fewer chances to cast spells (that hit), even if I dodged 80-90% of its attacks successfully those rest were the ones that were plenty enough to kill me.

I think I only have the final boss and DLC to do. I found the winter wonderland but I have no idea where the ringed city DLC is even found. :S

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
So I finished Dark Souls 2.

The rest of the game was kinda underwhelming tbh. Blue Smelter was a lame reskin, Aava was meh, and the double tigers and Frigid Outskirts (ugh) were SUCH bullshit.
Burnt Ivory King was pretty cool, and I liked having to find the knights before being able to properly challenge the boss. The problem is that because you have to fight the knights every time, they couldn't make the Ivory King too complex or hard, and as a result the actual fight against him was pretty forgettable. I think it would've been better if you only had to fight the knights and close the gates once, and once the gates are closed you could just fight the King directly every time. That way they could've given him a bonkers moveset like Fume Knight, which would've made for a better finale to the DLC.
Eleum Loyce was a really cool area though, one of my faves in the game.
Darklurker was really annoying, I guess it was kinda fun having to manage them both but sometimes they would unleash those powerful dark or fire attacks at the same time from opposite sides of the arena and it just turned the fight into pure chaos. Like most of the fight is pretty easy except for these sudden difficulty spikes where the two Darklurkers sync up for some bullshit lol.
I skipped Ancient Dragon because he's just chilling and he gave me the memory thingy so we're cool.
Vendrick was just a mindless hollow and didn't pose much of a threat. Which is intentional of course, and I'm not critisizing that at all. It is kinda weird though how Gwyn was in the same state pretty much but still had some sick moves.
Nashandra and Aldia were complete jokes. Apparently Aldia was added in Scholar? I don't know why they bothered adding a new boss if they were gonna make him just as easy as the first one. I chose to leave the throne btw.

Overall Dark Souls 2 is a very uneven game that I'm still happy I played, especially for some of the DLC content. Within the individual areas the level design was generally still very good, it's just that the overall world doesn't feel nearly as interconnected and cohesive as it did in Dark Souls 1, and in some instances the way some areas connect with each other is plain nonsensical. I know this is probably the biggest complaint leveled at the game so I'm not gonna bitch much about it, and it didn't even bother me much while playing because I was aware of this problem going in and adjusted my expectations accordingly. But the world design was my favorite part of Dark Souls 1 and it's sad that the sequel is so completely lacking in this respect. I know some people have DS2 as their favorite Souls game and I think I can see why, but it's mainly for this reason that I could never prefer it to DS1 personally.
I do really like how nonlinear the game is in the first half, you know you need to find those four Great Souls but are not told where they are, only to "seek misery". It felt really satisfying to just pick a direction and explore, especially when I went down the hole in Majula and discovered the Gutter, without anyone telling me to go there.
It was interesting seeing all the mechanical changes compared to DS1, which makes me think I should probably play Bloodborne before DS3 in order to see how the franchise evolved, even if I'm missing the start cuz I haven't played Demon's Souls.

I'm gonna take a break first though and check something else off my backlog, these games are too stressful to binge^^

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been back in Dark Souls 2 in a big way recently. Going through Sunken King and loving that area. Just finished the fight against Elana. That was pulse pounding! She summoned a Velstadt shade and then later three skeletons. That was really intense. Really enjoyed maneuvering around Velstad and the boys, getting a hit in on Elana and then running off. Super fun. Great area too. One of my favorites in the game. Really wish the series went further into that Zelda-like puzzing that they dabbled in here.

Vendrick was just a mindless hollow and didn't pose much of a threat. Which is intentional of course, and I'm not critisizing that at all. It is kinda weird though how Gwyn was in the same state pretty much but still had some sick moves.

Kind of. I definitely get that it's not as exciting as a Gwynn, and that's perhaps disappointing. There is a reason why that encounter is framed the way it is, which you seem to be aware of. But here some flavor just in case. I personally thought it was pretty cool.
Vendrick had his soul disconnected or locked away from his body to ensure Nishandra couldn't manipulate his power to get to the Throne of Want. His soul is found together with his armor in Shrine of Amana, so Vendrick was basically a walking husk by that point, as his routine also indicates. And with the soul being the source of one's strength, it makes sense he's just a shadow of his former self. So, from a lore perspective at least, there's a reason he's so basic. The way I read it, it's meant to be anticlimactic. The melancholy music that plays as you encounter him also accentuates this. Gwynn, I believe, still had his soul, but he just lost much of his legendary power over the countless years he spent guarding the flame.

Anyway, I thought it was quite something (!) to see him in that state after you spent a long time with him being hyped up as this powerful king who for some reason decided not to link the fire at the last moment. After that, the puzzle pieces kind of fall into place. I do agree that the fight itself was kind of tedious or boring. I don't mess with the Ancient Dragon either since he has such monstrous HP, so even with a maxed out Fume UGS I was only chipping away at him slowly.

Last edited:

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Kind of. I definitely get that it's not as exciting as a Gwynn, and that's perhaps disappointing. There is a reason why that encounter is framed the way it is, which you seem to be aware of. But here some flavor just in case. I personally thought it was pretty cool.
Vendrick had his soul disconnected or locked away from his body to ensure Nishandra couldn't manipulate his power to get to the Throne of Want. His soul is found together with his armor in Shrine of Amana, so Vendrick was basically a walking husk by that point, as his routine also indicates. And with the soul being the source of one's strength, it makes sense he's just a shadow of his former self. So, from a lore perspective at least, there's a reason he's so basic. The way I read it, it's meant to be anticlimactic. The melancholy music that plays as you encounter him also accentuates this. Gwynn, I believe, still had his soul, but he just lost much of his legendary power over the countless years he spent guarding the flame.

Anyway, I thought it was quite something (!) to see him in that state after you spent a long time with him being hyped up as this powerful king who for some reason decided not to link the fire at the last moment. After that, the puzzle pieces kind of fall into place. I do agree that the fight itself was kind of tedious or boring. I don't mess with the Ancient Dragon either since he has such monstrous HP, so even with a maxed out Fume UGS I was only chipping away at him slowly.

Ah I did actually find his soul but I didn't put together that the Vendrick I fought was literally a soulless husk, that does explain things. I just thought it was interesting how Gwyn and Vendrick have such similar concepts, both of them are supposed to be "underwhelming" after hearing so much about them throughout the games, but the concept is taken further with Vendrick. It didn't bother me but it did made me wonder if there was a reason why Gwyn was more capable.

I tried to pay attention but I'm sure a lot of the story went over my head so I'm gonna watch some VaatiVidya now to gain enlightenment :D

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah I did actually find his soul but I didn't put together that the Vendrick I fought was literally a soulless husk, that does explain things. I just thought it was interesting how Gwyn and Vendrick have such similar concepts, both of them are supposed to be "underwhelming" after hearing so much about them throughout the games, but the concept is taken further with Vendrick. It didn't bother me but it did made me wonder if there was a reason why Gwyn was more capable.

I tried to pay attention but I'm sure a lot of the story went over my head so I'm gonna watch some VaatiVidya now to gain enlightenment :D

Well for starters Gwyn still had his soul, right?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah I get that, I meant I had wondered that before it was answered.^^ I was trying to clarify what I meant in my post because it came across as a complaint about Vendrick and I didn't mean it as one.

Ah gotcha. I was honestly asking too. It's been awhile since I got deep into the lore of 1.

And yeah Vendrick was really a highlight for me in 2, after they build him up for the whole game and then you finally walk in and he's just a husk and that piano kicks in. Man. I see the complaint that he was a boring fight but it was perfect in that story.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Ah gotcha. I was honestly asking too. It's been awhile since I got deep into the lore of 1.

And yeah Vendrick was really a highlight for me in 2, after they build him up for the whole game and then you finally walk in and he's just a husk and that piano kicks in. Man. I see the complaint that he was a boring fight but it was perfect in that story.
Yeah. I love how Velstadt is there guarding his husk anyway.

The whole experience of the Shrine of Amara is awesome.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been spending way too much time on DS2 lore lately. But it's really cool! This is a fantastic compendium and is subdivided into topics:

Much more accesible than browsing the wiki and piecing stuff together yourself!
(I don't know why it's tagged NSFW. Presumably so that the entire post is behind a spoiler tag of sorts.)

One of my favorite things that I came across and haven't seen mentioned much is about the Dragon Memories. Spoiler tagged just in case:

In the memory, you find the Ancient Dragon Soul on top of what looks like the Ancient Dragon from the Dragon Shrine (who is said to be a fake and is presumably an artificial being made by Vendrick and/or Aldia as it drops a Giant Soul). In the description of the Ancient Dragon Soul, it says indirectly that this soul was created by Vendrick himself. THE LORE IMPLICATIONS! (lol) I can't quite wrap my head around what it could mean, and I haven't found much discussion on it in my searches. Could it be that it's a prototype for the Ancient Dragon "replica" seen in the Dragon Shrine? If so, could it have been part of Vendrick's experimentation that would eventually lead to the creation of the Emerald Herald? Because it's not using the Giant Soul at this point while still being some kind of artificial soul, it is a little reminiscent of how Gwynn gave a piece of the Lord Soul to Seath. Additionally, it may indicate that this experiment took place prior to Vendrick's conquest of the realm of the Giants. Some people suggest that the place in this memory is Ash Lake or that it's set in the Age of Ancients, but that doesn't fit with the idea of this soul being created by Vendrick. He's not that old. He's a human, after all. So at the very least it has to have been in the Age of Fire. Despite the visual similarities, I don't feel like Ash Lake is quite right either since it is otherwise completely absent from what we see of Drangleic.

Last edited:

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Playing through Demon's again and while some of its more esoteric aspects still feel like, well, bullshit the game still holds up.

Except for those ugly character faces of course.

Total conjecture on my part obviously, but lately I've been wondering if some of the people who think DS3 was just "DS1 again" or a retread actually played through Demon's, as DS1 reuses an afwul lot from this game. I'd say Dark Souls 1 is more of a remix of Demon's than DS3 is a retread from DS1.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Total conjecture on my part obviously, but lately I've been wondering if some of the people who think DS3 was just "DS1 again" or a retread actually played through Demon's, as DS1 reuses an afwul lot from this game. I'd say Dark Souls 1 is more of a remix of Demon's than DS3 is a retread from DS1.

I do kind of echo that sentiment but not in terms of mechanics or seeing similar things again per se (since DS2 also dabbles in that). This is purely subjective, but I felt like DS1 and the events it portrayed were pretty much a closed loop. So I would've preferred it if DS3 followed DS2 by picking an entirely different setting while maintaining a similar premise and all the mechanical things we've come to associate with Souls. The idea of space and time colliding is cool, but I think it'd have carried more weight if there was more than one game between the game it was referencing most directly. It's like when a TV show reminds you of this thing that happened like 20 minutes ago. I don't know if that makes sense. That part of it just felt a little contrived. It's also been a while since I played DS3, so my feelings on it have also kind of gotten tangled up with all sorts of other things I've read, watched or listened about it.

Last edited:

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I do kind of echo that sentiment but not in terms of mechanics or seeing similar things again per se (since DS2 also dabbles in that). This is purely subjective, but I felt like DS1 and the events it portrayed were pretty much a closed loop. So I would've preferred it if DS3 followed DS2 by picking an entirely different setting while maintaining a similar premise and all the mechanical things we've come to associate with Souls. The idea of space and time colliding is cool, but I think it'd have carried more weight if there was more than one game between the game it was referencing most directly. It's like when a TV show reminds you of this thing that happened like 20 minutes ago. I don't know if that makes sense. That part of it just felt a little contrived.
Yeah, I can agree with that. At the same time another game would be pushing it. DS3 was kinda pushing it already.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can agree with that. At the same time another game would be pushing it. DS3 was kinda pushing it already.

Oh yeah. I think Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls show that they really don't have to tie themselves down to a series for a game to feel cohesive enough and rich enough in world-building to stand entirely on its own. There's something to be said for creating an expansive tapestry through a series of games, but I would personally prefer seeing From branch out into different things, different genres even, to see what they come up with. Because obviously they're an incredibly talented bunch. You have something as flawed as DS2 that (in my opinion) still comes out so compelling. Even DS3 I'd like to revisit soonish and give it another honest go at it, because it is really sound from a mechanical perspective and also simply gorgeous to look at, take in its atmosphere.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Dark Souls 3 has the best bosses and it's the best playing one, but it's so boringly linear, ugh.
I was pretty shocked by this when first playing DS3. I remember finding a second path in the stage just before Pontiff Sulyvan taking you into the prison area, and being shocked that I finally found a branching path.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I know it was barely one better than a hub world, but I kinda like how Dark Souls 2 did it, with four pretty distinct paths that you can take pretty early on. One way too tough? Try a different direction.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I know it was barely one better than a hub world, but I kinda like how Dark Souls 2 did it, with four pretty distinct paths that you can take pretty early on. One way too tough? Try a different direction.

Yeah, and lately my opinion has been shifting towards DS2 being a more interesting game than DS3, even if DS2 is uglier and controls worse.