• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone probably saw this coming, and to their credit, simply didn't care.
The most recent episode of South Park, "Band in China," has been generating loads of media attention for its sharp critique of the way Hollywood tends to shape its content to avoid offending Chinese government censors in any way whatsoever.

Now, those very same government censors, in the real world, have lashed back at South Park by deleting virtually every clip, episode and online discussion of the show from Chinese streaming services, social media and even fan pages.

A cursory perusal through China's highly regulated Internet landscape shows the show conspicuously absent everywhere it recently had a presence. A search of the Twitter-like social media service Weibo turns up not a single mention of South Park among the billions of past posts. On streaming service Youku, owned by Internet giant Alibaba, all links to clips, episodes and even full seasons of the show are now dead.

And on Baidu's Tieba, China's largest online discussions platform, the threads and sub-threads related to South Park are nonfunctional. If users manually type in the URL for what was formerly the South Park thread, a message appears saying that, "According to the relevant law and regulation, this section is temporarily not open."

The draconian response is par for the course for China's authoritarian government, which has even been known to aggressively censor Winnie the Pooh, because some local Internet users had affectionately taken to comparing Chinese president Xi Jinping to the character.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked.gif

Episode was goddamn vicious, and not just to China but also their ballwashers here in the USA

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
south-park-china-797.jpg

Not surprising in the least, lol. Matt and Trey went in. Best episode in a while.
After the "Band in China" episode mocked Hollywood for shaping its content to please the Chinese government, Beijing has responded by deleting all clips, episodes and discussions of the Comedy Central show.

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone probably saw this coming, and to their credit, simply didn't care.

The most recent episode of South Park, "Band in China," has been generating loads of media attention for its sharp critique of the way Hollywood tends to shape its content to avoid offending Chinese government censors in any way whatsoever.

Now, those very same government censors, in the real world, have lashed back at South Park by deleting virtually every clip, episode and online discussion of the show from Chinese streaming services, social media and even fan pages.

A cursory perusal through China's highly regulated Internet landscape shows the show conspicuously absent everywhere it recently had a presence. A search of the Twitter-like social media service Weibo turns up not a single mention of South Park among the billions of past posts. On streaming service Youku, owned by Internet giant Alibaba, all links to clips, episodes and even full seasons of the show are now dead.

And on Baidu's Tieba, China's largest online discussions platform, the threads and sub-threads related to South Park are nonfunctional. If users manually type in the URL for what was formerly the South Park thread, a message appears saying that, "According to the relevant law and regulation, this section is temporarily not open."

The draconian response is par for the course for China's authoritarian government, which has even been known to aggressively censor Winnie the Pooh, because some local Internet users had affectionately taken to comparing Chinese president Xi Jinping to the character.

More at the link above.

EDIT: Looks like the threads got merged lol

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, this is exactly the type of thing Trey and Matt gun for when making South Park.

It's honestly a great episode. This season is off to a good start.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Lol good shit. Glad those guys made this episode and I'm sure they knew this was going to happen. The hell with china

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most accurate episodes in awhile it seems. I personally found Stan's band part of the episode more entertaining, but sometimes South Park just nails the theme.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
if China just starts banning anyone and everything that speaks out against them then that is gonna turn into a VERY long list.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
I saw that episode Sunday and afterwards thought about how Viacom might suffer for something Comedy Central aired. Whenever Mickey shows up you know it's going to get dark.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Frankly I'm surprised the show was permitted in the first place.

CC give them a lot of creative freedom. They make them so much money and they are the show owners and runners. So the control is reversed. I think the only time they were censored was with Muhammed.

Trey and Matt are collectively worth about a billion, and reruns prints money for CC. They don't want or need more money.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I caught it and thought it was great and 100% on point. I wonder if Disney disallows it on Hulu in the near future.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
LMAO I saw the episode last night and had no about the Winnie the Pooh thing.

Hilarious xD

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
CC give them a lot of creative freedom. They make them so much money and they are the show owners and runners. So the control is reversed. I think the only time they were censored was with Muhammed.

Trey and Matt are collectively worth about a billion, and reruns prints money for CC. They don't want or need more money.
Yeah Amazon just paid crazy money for the entirety of South park. And they made even more by selling 6 seasons to Netflix too.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this was their objective in the first place, and China only proved their point.

Irony all over the place.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but those previous episodes didn't go after China. And Disney has massive presence there now.

Actually, they did. Not about the censorship and everything, but i remember that episode where Cartman manipulates Obama's second election because of Star Wars. That had both China stuff and Mickey! ^^

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I meant that South Park wasn't banned in China until now, lol

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

Holy fucking shit. I had to look it up to believe it but you're right.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, the episode was great.
I wonder if the people that call it a "alt-right show" are also completely fine with the China ballwashers at Disney and everywhere else.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like South Park nowadays (its brand of humor just isn't for me anymore), but this actually has me wanting to watch the episode.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I should really catch up on South Park. I've been out of the loop since the election season.