• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
gettyimages-2013656986.jpg

Southwest Airlines is considering changes to its single-class, open-seating cabins to drive up revenue, CEO Bob Jordan told CNBC on Thursday, a shift that would be among the largest in the airline's history.

"We're looking into new initiatives, things like the way we seat and board our aircraft," Jordan said in an interview after the carrier's disappointing first-quarter report.

Southwest's all-Boeing 737 fleet has a single economy class cabin and no seating assignments, though it does offer earlier boarding for a fee so customers can snag their preferred seats. The airline has focused on keeping its product simple and user-friendly for years, aiming to keep its own costs and complexity to a minimum.

Meanwhile, rivals including Delta and United have touted high revenue growth for premium seating such as business class and strong upsell rates.

Analysts have repeatedly asked Southwest about opportunities for premium seating or additional fees. (The airline doesn't charge travelers for their first two checked bags.)

Most U.S. airlines charge travelers to choose many of its seats in advance, even those that don't come with extra legroom. Eight U.S. carriers — Alaska, Allegiant, American, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit
and United — together brought in $4.2 billion from seating fees in their domestic networks in 2022, according to Jay Sorensen, an airline ancillary revenue expert at IdeaWorksCompany.

Jordan said no decisions have been made on what kind of changes Southwest will ultimately make, but he said studies have yielded "interesting" results.

"Customer preferences do change over time," Jordan said.

While details were scarce during Southwest's earnings call, when asked whether Southwest would consider a separated cabin on its planes, Ryan Green, the carrier's chief commercial officer said: "Curtains and things like that are a bit far afield from what Southwest Airlines is."

Green added that the carrier is not considering charging for checked bags because "people choose Southwest Airlines because we don't have bag fees."

Southwest Airlines said it will limit hiring and suspend operations at four airports in the U.S. and Mexico following a loss of profits and delays getting planes from Boeing.

In a release posted after the company's earnings call Thursday, the Dallas, Texas-based budget airline reported a net loss of $231 million in the first quarter of 2024. Southwest President and CEO Bob Jordan called those losses "disappointing," and said the airline is adjusting to "slower than planned growth for this year and next."

In an interview with CNBC ahead of the earnings call Thursday, Jordan said the company was weighing options for cabin reconfiguration to address its recent revenue shortfall.

"We're looking into new initiatives, things like the way we seat and board our aircraft," Jordan told the network.

The airline said it now expects to end this year with approximately 2,000 fewer employees than 2023 through cost control initiatives, including limiting hiring and offering voluntary time off programs, not through furloughs or layoffs.

And with aircraft delivery delays from Boeing that could continue into 2025, Southwest said it is also planning to mitigate any operational and financial impacts while keeping reliable flight schedules for customers.

What airports is Southwest leaving?

After reporting financial losses in the first quarter of 2024, Southwest said it is closing operations at four airports, three in the U.S. and one in Mexico, the first time the airline has exited an airport since 2019.

• Bellingham International Airport in Bellingham, Washington
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas
  • Syracuse Hancock International Airport in Syracuse, New York
  • Cozumel International Airport in Mexico

Southwest also announced plans to cut about half its flights out of the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and one third from the Chicago O'Hare International Airport.

Although Southwest is pulling out of George Bush Intercontinental Airport, the company will maintain operations out of the William P. Hobby Airport in Houston.
www.usatoday.com

Southwest to exit 4 airports and limit hiring following profit loss, Boeing plane delays

Southwest Airlines said it is leaving four airports: three in the U.S. and one in Mexico following a first quarter profit loss.

"The recent news from Boeing regarding further aircraft delivery delays presents significant challenges for both 2024 and 2025," said Southwest CEO Bob Jordan in the company's first-quarter financial results statement. "We are reacting and replanning quickly to mitigate the operational and financial impacts. Consequently, we have made the difficult decision to close our operations [at the four airports]."

However, in an interview later Thursday on CNBC, Jordan said that the decision to cut service to those four airports would have been made in attempt to improve financial results and would been done with or without the delivery issues with Boeing.

"The network actions have really nothing to do with the Boeing delays. We're taking network actions regardless," he said, although he added, "Now the Boeing delays are very painful. …They hurt us on the revenue front. They cause us to be inefficient."

In its quarterly financial report on Thursday, Southwest (LUV) announced it lost $218 million excluding special items, or 36 cents a share, in the first quarter. That was up from the $163 million it lost on that basis a year ago. The loss came despite record first-quarter revenue of $6.3 billion, up 11% from a year earlier. The jump in revenue came from an increase in passenger traffic, as fare data showed passengers paying about the same amount to fly every mile.

It also disclosed it now only expects 20 planes to be delivered by Boeing this year. It started the year expecting to have 79 planes delivered. Then last month it announced it was expecting 46 planes to be delivered during the year. It had already put in place a hiring freeze for pilots and flight attendants due to the reduced deliveries.

The delays in deliveries are being caused by the Alaska Airlines incident on January 5 when a door plug blew off of a 737 Max 9 jet. That prompted a three-week grounding of the Max 9, and will delay the certification of two new models of the plane, the 737 Max 7 and 737 Max 10, until at least next year. Boeing had promised to start deliveries of both those models later this year.

The financial problems at Southwest are the latest sign of the widening impact of the ongoing problems at Boeing throughout the air travel system. In its first-quarter financial report Wednesday, Boeing said it will have to keep production at a lower level likely into next year as it works to improve the quality and safety of its jets.

Cutting half of their flights out of Atlanta is a bit of a bummer for me

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
I freaking hate Southwest's boarding process. Please do this so I just have a seat.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I almost read it as "Open Cabin" as in without any seats and you just gotta sit or stand up like on a bus....

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Would stop using Southwest if they charge for bags or change their open seating policy. Those are the main reasons I fly exclusively with them.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't even know Southwest was out of Bush. They always sent us out of Hobby when we lived there.

Also somewhat surprised they were at O'Hare. I thought Southwest liked to fly out of the cheaper secondary airports in most major cities (like Hobby)?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I freaking hate Southwest's boarding process. Please do this so I just have a seat.

I loathe it. They are also absolutely horrible at enforcing their baggage restrictions for the folks that just want to have one carry on bag. I gladly will pay more if possible to fly on an airline that just lets me choose my seat.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Southwest has consistently been faster to board, more on time, and a much smoother flight experience for us compared to almost all other major carriers (flying coach), so I'm surprised at some of the posts here. That said, I truly believe flight experiences are VERY regional to the point where it might be airport/flight path specific.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Their open boarding is the main reason I like them. Change it and there's no reason to pick them over other carriers.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I actually prefer the "choose your own seat" approach. Means if I check-in on time I can sit up front versus every other airline where half of the plane is blocked off for more expensive seats. 🤷‍♂️

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Southwest's open seating and free luggage/carry on system is the main reason I fly with them.

All you have to do is check-in exactly 24 hours ahead on their app and your spot to enter the plane will guarantee you get a window seat either in the front or middle of the plane. Only downside is for people who don't set alarms or otherwise forget to check-in

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I actually prefer the "choose your own seat" approach. Means if I check-in on time I can sit up front versus every other airline where half of the plane is blocked off for more expensive seats. 🤷‍♂️

As someone who doesn't have money to fly business or premium economy, Southwest is what I pick to fly across the country to see my parents. Especially when I have to bring them stuff that won't fit in a carryon.

If they change this, I might as well just fly United or American so I can get points to use on flights to Japan.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Meh, I don't mind the open seating. I just go straight for the back anyway. I'm not in any hurry to get off the plane after we land and I hate dealing with other people who try to get off the plane as fast as possible. So I just go straight to the back and chill while the plane clears out.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I like Southwest and enjoy their seating/bag policies. It's simple. you line up, you pick a seat. Easy.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Southwest seating is trash and I didn't know you could steal seats during the flight if people get up to go the bathroom. Some women snatched the aisle seat next to me when this guy got up and the flight attendant shrugged when the guy came back wanting his seat back.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Southwest seating is trash and I didn't know you could steal seats during the flight if people get up to go the bathroom. Some women snatched the aisle seat next to me when this guy got up and the flight attendant shrugged when the guy came back wanting his seat back.
Yeesh

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Southwest boarding process, though I haven't done it in a few years. I always check in 24 hours prior to departure when it becomes available and get a good spot in line. It's so much more orderly than a mass of 150 people crowding the podium even though most of them are groups 4 and 5 just so they can jump in to try and grab the last overhead bin space.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Thats wild. I fly Southwest a lot and I have never seen that happen.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
My local airport is 75% Southwest but I refuse to fly them anymore. I don't want any uncertainty when flying so not having assigned seating gives me too much anxiety. Even if it doesn't affect me, seeing so many people faking injuries to get on earlier and others trying to save rows of seats just frustrates me.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would be all for them abolishing open cabin seating. If you weren't able to check in exactly 24 hours before you easily have the potential of getting fucked over and not even getting to sit with the people you came with. Plus there's things like seats getting stolen even you go to the bathroom.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like SW is about to lose its perks that separate it from Delta and United. They're still my second favorite airline. I don't mind paying a little extra for early bird seating, or since I often travel with a child that ensured me I get on after the A group. But my biggest problem with them is that they will delay a flight and I have to watch other airlines going to the exact same place around the same time stay on schedule. And I still haven't forgiven them for Christmas 2022.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018

Same. Literally never fly with them because of it, though I got forced to once on a business trip because it was the cheapest option and they wouldn't pay them the difference.

All flying sucks anyway unless you're just made of money or fly a newer, foreign airline

Jul 18, 2018
... Plus there's things like seats getting stolen even you go to the bathroom.
What the fk. I flew SW like every other week once for work, and i've never seen this, that's messed up. I'd just stand there making it awkward anyway for that person.

I was going to say i prefer the open seating, just because i have a higher chance of grabbing an aisle seat for myself

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I almost read it as "Open Cabin" as in without any seats and you just gotta sit or stand up like on a bus....

I'm pretty sure the FAA (among other agencies) would have a problem with that 😂

It's only a matter of time

thepatentfromheck.0.0.jpg

This is a hard pass for me.

I don't know how flight attendants face backward because I would be trying to shake off the feeling of sliding downward for the rest of the flight.

But I also have horrible flight anxiety (literally made a small puddle of hand sweat last time 😖) and it takes me ages to even get comfortable with just lifting my head up. The anxiety makes my equilibrium all jacked up so I just try to focus on one of the free inflight movies the whole time.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I love Southwest. Unless you can afford business, it's far better than other airlines. Not even really close. I don't understand how anyone finds their seating frustrating.

Meh, I don't mind the open seating. I just go straight for the back anyway. I'm not in any hurry to get off the plane after we land and I hate dealing with other people who try to get off the plane as fast as possible. So I just go straight to the back and chill while the plane clears out.

PizzaKing

May 24, 2019
I've flied Southwest 100+ times and I've never had a problem with their boarding process.

Its cheap what do you expect! I could never justify paying 2-3x times as much on another airline domestically. Hell, I flew first class on United for the first time recently and it wasn't nearly that much better than Southwest coach.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, all of our flights are Southwest. Never really had any of the issues people are saying here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
What is the upside of open seating to begin with? I hate that shit. I remember hating movie theaters before assigned seating became the norm too.

I assume they do it to speed up the process, not because people like it, reducing cycle times.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The open seating is one reason why we like to fly with them. I can consistently get in the upper A's, low B's without having to pay extra. And at that point you have half the plane empty to pick wherever I want to sit.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
I like Southwest, honestly. Free bags, open seating (I usually end up snagging like A1-A15) and rarely have any issues with any major delays. Getting free points out of them when I do have issues is simple as that.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I'm sorry what? That cannot be their policy lol. That would lead to so many issues by now I'd assume.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Keep the open-seating. It's nice for that rare flight that is underbooked. Plus, I'm not being charged to get a decent seat as long as I don't daudle with check-in the day before.

I really had to check this list when the article came out to make sure my airports weren't affected. Southwest is one of the only carriers that really services my hometown and there's some routes where I currently live that it excels at.

itsrealfood

Oct 25, 2017
Could this no longer mean that half the plane boards before even B1s because of everyone getting priority with kids? I'd be down for that. No point in paying for Early Bird Check-in when there's no way you'll ever even have a shot at a decent seat up front.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
If you'd normally be flying coach on another carrier Southwest is a boon. I don't understand the grumbles.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
I only flew with them once and didn't know about the whole seating thing and was like wtf is this shit. Never again

KhrossSF

Jul 8, 2020

sounds like he just got chump'd out of his seat