maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Is it weird that stories like this make me feel safer about flying? These one in a million freak accidents happening and the plane still being able to land just fine.

If anything their infrequency makes me feel better. I feel like I hear about an engine failure maybe once every five years, if even that. Admittedly it happens more often than I hear of, but I always feel like this is the kind of shit we should be hearing about all the goddamn time.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is what is called a "uncontained engine failure" And a fuckin huge one at that.

There will be heads rolling because of this.

The biggest thing about this whole incident was that control of the aircraft was not compromised in any way due to the debris from the engine failure.

They are lucky the components didn't hit any hydraulic lines or otherwise disturb the control surfaces. But as I said earlier uncontained engine failures are a big no no.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
There would be few things more terrifying, so I really feel for her. Hopefully she will recover fully, or close to fully and be okay. That had to be horrifying.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
This is what is called a "uncontained engine failure" And a fuckin huge one at that.

There will be heads rolling because of this.

The biggest thing about this whole incident was that control of the aircraft was not compromised in any way due to the debris from the engine failure.

Indeed, that's what is concerning here.

The shrapnel had to go up and over the wing to smash that window. It should have been sucked out through the engine and away from the fuselage in the event of a failure. That's what the engine is designed to do and in most cases, does.

That it perhaps didn't do more damage to the fuselage than break the window, or didn't damage the wing if it blew out in front of it, is something to breathe a quick sigh of relief over.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Indeed, that's what is concerning here.

The shrapnel had to go up and over the wing to smash that window. It should have been sucked out through the engine and away from the fuselage in the event of a failure. That's what the engine is designed to do and in most cases, does.

That it perhaps didn't do more damage to the fuselage than break the window, or didn't damage the wing if it blew out in front of it, is something to breathe a quick sigh of relief over.

I'll be interested to read the full report in a few months. This smells like a manufacturing defect to me but time will tell.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This handwringing over safety stats for various modes of travel is pretty dumb considering thousands of people have to use planes, trains, and cars to function in their daily lives

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Dude, this is hollywood level of craziness in an accident.
You'd be amazed at all the weird and outrageous circumstances that have struck commercial aviation over the years.

243_aloha_04.jpg

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Not what I needed to see a day before I am flying, in a window seat. But as Superman says, still statistically safe means of travel. But I'll probably hit the bar before I go...

YamjRpe.gif

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are you so intent on letting fearmongering slide?

Because it's not fearmongering (fuckin lol) and I don't work for the airplane lobby

I have an irrational fear of Hippos, I know that I'm more likely to die from NOT A HIPPO but that doesn't mean I wanna see one in a zoo

This statistical pedantry is boring as fuck and makes you all sound like lame ass fortune cookies tbh

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Hey guys, did you know you're more likely to die in a car crash than a plane crash?
Did you know planes are way faster than cars? That's all the facts I need to know in order to keep flying over long distances instead of driving.

But yeah, this still must've been damn terrifying. I try not to think about the age of the plane and the maintenance corners that are being cut when I travel.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if the seatbelt was on our not, but yes folks wear your fucking seatbelt at all times when seated. Unexpected turbulence is a thing and people die from it.

Hope she recovers

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Because it's not fearmongering (fuckin lol) and I don't work for the airplane lobby

I have an irrational fear of Hippos, I know that I'm more likely to die from NOT A HIPPO but that doesn't mean I wanna see one in a zoo

This statistical pedantry is boring as fuck and makes you all sound like lame ass fortune cookies tbh
No, it's actually fearmongering. If BS about airplane safety leads to more people choosing to drive long distances vs fly, they are being exposed to excess risk of death or severe injury. Fearmongering can lead to well meaning but bad policy, which could lead to excess morbidity and morality. See https://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/when-good-intentions-make-bad-policy-car-seat-edition/

Toxicgonzo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
If you get partially sucked out of a plane, you have to rely on the strength and quick reaction of the other passengers to save you

O_O

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that photo of the engine is fucked up. I imagine it basically just exploded mid-flight or something?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, it's actually fearmongering. If BS about airplane safety leads to more people choosing to drive long distances vs fly, they are being exposed to excess risk of death or severe injury. Fearmongering can lead to well meaning but bad policy, which could lead to excess morbidity and morality. See https://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/when-good-intentions-make-bad-policy-car-seat-edition/

Wow, your pedantry has surely eased the tension of any nervous flyers in this thread, keep fighting the good fight.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson would be proud.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am less likely to be pulled over and beaten by police if I'm flying.

On a serious note this is terrifying.