Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Space is scary. You've got the Pillars of Creation:
pillars_of_creation.jpg

Seen far beyond the solar system's reach but because of time dilation, is already eroded and probably gone.

Not to to mention black hole's and reaching the singularity.
It's the size of stuff in space that freaks me out. They say the left finger of the pillars of creation is like 4-5 light years in length. And that's tiny all things considered.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
There is no sound.
There is no air pressure.
There is no oxygen.
There is no protection from the radiation of the solar winds.
Temperatures can fluctuate between a million degrees between stars to minus in thousands in open space.

Life in outer space is impossible.
Gravity?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The other thing that blows my mind is that if you put an spaceship in interstellar medium away from the gravity influence of stars galaxies and other objects, you just are. Like you aren't floating, or falling somewhere, you are just kinda there. It's a simple concept but my mammalian brain freaks out a bit.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Estimates of Methuselah's age and the age of the universe do overlap. It probably formed shortly after reionization.
There has to be something they are missing with predicting the age of stars and the universe. They get over 14 billion years for the star and some recent estimates of the age of the universe are as low as 11.5 billion.

I like the theory that the universe has expanded at different rates over time.

But yeah that star is old as fuck. It's pretty close too.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The number of dimensions and how they all co exist is just way beyond human perception. It's literally impossible for us to imagine because we exist entirely within the 3 dimensional universe we understand (plus time whatever that is). It's just impossible to fathom. I get to the stage where I just think we are a thought or something. The universe and how it came to be is so ludicrous as a concept that nothing, absolutely nothing about it is actually as it seems. There's some weird shit going on and no one will ever know what that is.

It's also weird to think we are actuallly living in a very rare moment for the universe. In the relatively short timescales at the beginning it was just got gas and uninhabitable. Then there is the age we live in now with planets and stars, but relatively soon none of that will exist. Nothing will exist, potentially forever or for a very long time that makes the entire universe as we know it seem like a billionth of a trillionth of a second of the whole timescale of time itself.

Just give up trying to understand it basically.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Ooh. Also since photons of light basically don't experience time since they are moving at the speed of light they leave a sun and can cross the universe, trillions of light years and to the photon this is all instantaneous until it actually hits something. Not that photons are sentient of course but, you know. It's a cool though.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan