• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
A mix between bridge commander and elite force would be so epic.
Makes me angry that we will never see a AA.5/AAA TNG themed game again.

I think if was good it could sell well.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
No Man's Sky in VR will be the ultimate space game.
I love NMS and all, but it lacks far too much to be the ultimate space game. It doesn't even have stars. No giants or supergiants, no erratic pulsars or dying dwarfs, not even a binary sunset to watch from the dunes of a desert wasteland: it's just the same skybox every system, and every planet runs to the same clock.

The ultimate space game would require NMS and ED to fusion dance.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of an orbital space colony mode in a SimCity (or Cities: Skylines) type game makes me genuinely upset

(think stanford torus or o'neill cylinder)

Last edited:

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Honestly no, and I am looking at it now. It looks great. I am going to try and find some videos to dig into and I appreciate you bringing this up.
ED is a great shout. Not sure what you mean by "social aspect" but it's one of the better straight up space sims out there, especially those available on console.

If you're going in, prepare to learn a bunch of stuff. They will have a patch later this month which introduces some more robust onboarding for new players. It's also very open-ended in a "make your own fun" kind of way. The "social aspect" for me has been joining a squadron (basically a guild in MMOs), who I chat with on Discord and in-game on a regular basis. It has given me some much-needed direction and is what's holding my interest in the game almost 2 years after release on PS4.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
You didn't mention Elite Dangerous, although I'd assume if you've been looking for a space sim, you'd have found it already and just forgot to mention it. But right now, all I can really recommend is Elite Dangerous.
Should have been first post.

ED with all its issues really manages to capture the immensity and emptiness of space.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I love NMS and all, but it lacks far too much to be the ultimate space game. It doesn't even have stars. No giants or supergiants, no erratic pulsars or dying dwarfs, not even a binary sunset to watch from the dunes of a desert wasteland: it's just the same skybox every system, and every planet runs to the same clock.

The ultimate space game would require NMS and ED to fusion dance.

do not tempt cloud imperium to do that (and delay star citizen for another 10 years)

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The April patch for Elite is out and adds a ton of QOL improvements for new players. The learning curve is the biggest deterrent and it sounds like these should be helpful. ObsidianAnt put out a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVr0nzaKVDs

It also seems heavily likely (a few things from the Frontier leak have recently been confirmed/corroborated) that next year we get space legs, likely including FPS combat, Thargoids (out of ships), and base building.