• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
So you probably don't know who Elesky is, but basically she is an spanish streamer and she's also a profesional piano player. She was going to play piano at the NAB Show in Las Vegas, which she was really excited about. She has explained on Twitter what her horrible experiencie trying to enter the country was like, which I'll translate for y'all. Honestly, I feel very angry and super sad, cause she was really excited to play in Las Vegas and she had to leave the coutry in a very bad way and scared out of her mind.

"I feel terrible having to say this after so many months preparing it and making all of you excited about this. They have not allowed me to enter the US, they held me at the border and sent me back, it has been a horrible experience, I will give you a brief summary."

"I was traveling alone, and I had all the documentation they asked for to enter the US. My trip was Gijón - Madrid - London - Las Vegas (what a trip). In Madrid everything was fine and in London too, in fact in London they already checked that I had everything to enter the US and everything was fine."

"I arrived in Las Vegas, once there you have to cross the border: they ask for your passport, they take your fingerprints and they ask you some questions. I was calm because there wasn't any problem at the moment. I got to the counter and they startex checking all my information."

"They took my fingerprints, they looked at my passport, they asked me for a piece of paper that you have to cover on the plane and I was about to pass, until he asked me: "where are you going?" And I said, in a super happy manner: "I'm going to the NAB Show to work". And he kept asking: "what are you going to do?". And me: "play the piano."

"The man looked at me strangely and said: "no one ever goes to NAB Show to play the piano". I kept looking at him like... what is this all about? The man asked me some more questions about the job and told me: "wait here, they're going to come to ask you more questions."

"I was freaking out but I was calm, because I knew I hadn't done anything wrong and I thought they would let me pass. A (very unpleasant) policeman came and took me to a police room. They took me to the counter, they took my cell phone (I had it in my hand), and it started again."

"Where are you going?" "To NAB Show to Work" "What are you going to do?" "Play the piano" And here it blew up, because the policeman replied: "and why do they hire you and not an American?"

"I didn't even know what to say to him. I started to get nervous and the policeman kept asking me everything about the job. I asked him to please let me have my cell phone to call my contractors and he refused. I was already starting to feel sick."

"He made me tell him everything, show him all the emails, show him the contract. I insisted that he please let me call someone and he wouldn't let me. The policeman did not even look at me in the face and spoke to me in a super cold manner. He kept me there for more than an hour, incommunicated."

"After telling him and showing him absolutely everything, he told me that my documentation was not valid (a lie, all the workers who go to NAB go with the same documents as me), and that I should go back to London and fix it at the consulate."

"That's when the world began to come crashing down on me. I tried to give him a lot of alternatives and they gave me no choice. I started to get dizzy, my ear started ringing, I asked if he could please let me call my mother, to which the policeman refused every time I asked him."

"They took a statement from me, and they also added: "If you don't take a statement, we're going to have to arrest you." After more than an hour, they put me on the first plane back to London and when I got on the plane they finally gave me my mobile back and I called my mother asap."

"I don't know exactly what went wrong, I only know that they made special emphasis on the fact that I was taking jobs away from american people. Just to add that in front of me at customs there was an english man who said exactly the same thing as i did, that he was going to the NAB Show, but they let him pass without any hussle."

"After the biggest disappointment of my life I had to go through another 10 hours of flight when I was completely wrecked. In London my uncles were waiting for me (they are from there). My aunt has traveled to the US many times to work and told me that what had happened to me made no sense."

Man, fuck this racist scumbags. I can't even know how scared she had to be, and she was only going there to do the work she had been hired to. Also im 0% surprised that they had no problem with a british guy saying exactly the same thing as her

TLDR: Spanish pianist try to get to las vegas to work at NAB Show, she faces some racist scumbag cops who take her phone and threaten her saying that she is taking jobs from american people, and is forced to leave the country asap alegating that her paperwork wasn't valid (which was a lie)

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
That reads like racial profiling to begin with, and pure racism and abuse of authority afterwards. Getting furious just reading about it.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
This is awful. Is there any way she could lawyer up and take these assholes to court? Plenty of demonstrable damages and a clearly wrong decision.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I should be shocked, but sadly I'm not. These assholes need to face repercussions.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
When I went to U.S for the first time, I was speaking German with my German friend in public, and a cop randomly just wanted to check our papers for some reason. So whatever, gave it to them, they checked. And while checking I was continuing to talk to my friend in German, and he told us not to speak German "here". My first time ever going to U.S and I had a cop experience on second day

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Customs officers are always the stupidest cops.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds horrific. :(

Reminds me of one time many years ago we, a party of three, flew to LA to work a convention our company at the time was hosting. Two of us stated we were there to attend the convention and were let in without incident, the third said they were there to work the convention. Apparently a bad idea. Took hours of statements and grilling for them to be let into the country. Laughed it off at the time but still.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
As a Spanish myself I say is more a case of Xenophobia than racism, as Elesky is white and we Spanish are not PoC just for being from Spain.

Heartbreaking to read, fucking assholes.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
There are specific visa types even for performance work. This would not be the first time an event/trade show fucked up and didn't get the correct paperwork for someone. (Let me add: I'm assuming something like this is the case because of my past proximity to fan conventions and music bookings)

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
This taking away jobs excuse is ridiculous. I remember during Dubyas term being hassked for going to the US to my parents vacant house to mow their lawn for them. Border guard gave me a 5 minute lecture about taking American jobs. I thought I was going to be turned back but he eventually relented when I told him I'll go look for a landscaper to do it. So stupid.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Border guard has an unreasonable amount of power, I've never had to travel to the US for work, so I've never been barred, most I've had was a bit of not terribly polite treatment, but I guess all it takes is one person on a power trip and you're not getting in.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
No matter what is happening in the world, there's always time for racism.

Always. Las Vegas to Ukraine, and everywhere in between. There's always room for hatred of people of color.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
As a Spanish myself I say is more a case of Xenophobia than racism, as Elesky is white and we Spanish are not PoC just for being from Spain.
It's more likely that they're trying to be racist against Latinos and failing than trying to be xenophobic against Spaniards.

Customs officers are not the judges of who gets what jobs in the US.
They have the power to ban people from the country for arbitrary reasons so they kind of are.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, this might have more to do with her saying "work"...working requires a specific type of visa and isn't just a visit...from what i understand you cannot "work" on a normal tourist visa...

unless of course she had a proper work Visa...then there was no reason to not let her in...

edit: just to be clear, the US Customs folks are terrible assholes usually and my wife (Asian from HK) has had numerous problems with them...she still has to go into the back every single time because of one instance of denied entry from when we were dating back in like '06...so i don't want anyone to think i'm taking their side here...

Last edited:

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising to me, the custom/border officers in US airports are the worst I've ever encountered in all my years of travelling.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
honestly, this might have more to do with her saying "work"...working requires a specific type of visa and isn't just a visit...from what i understand you cannot "work" on a normal tourist visa...

unless of course she had a proper work Visa...then there was no reason to not let her in...
If she was contracted then most likely she had a work visa/permit.

Gemüsestäbchen

Otterly Amazing
Nov 1, 2017

edit: just to be clear, the US Customs folks are terrible assholes usually and my wife (Asian from HK) has had numerous problems with them...she still has to go into the back every single time because of one instance of denied entry from when we were dating back in like '06...so i don't want anyone to think i'm taking their side here...

I agree - I made the move from UK to US and the things you should not volunteer to the Border Control is pretty much anything whenever you pass through. By saying she is "working" she pretty much flagged herself to be scrutinised further - and I guess by panicking they assumed worse.

She didn't deserve to be treated so poorly, but the US Border Control IMHO love the power trip so unsurprising really. Absolutely unjust and xenophobic....
I hope the event organisers step in

Gemüsestäbchen

Otterly Amazing
Nov 1, 2017
The event has already been / it's finishing on Wednesday, so there's not much more to do in that sense, sadly.

That's awful :(
Godamn I feel like there should be guidance for non-American people on Resetera for entry to the US for gaming events... It's a serious issue, at least in US the border control have absolute power as a branch of the police AFAIK - unlike other nations.

Actually a guide probably applies to the UK, China too (all countries I've had trouble with and I'm a British citizen!)

Nlroh

Oct 25, 2017
This reminded me of the time we went to New York. The border officer at the airport just looked at me and told me to have a nice trip, you know everything normal. I stayed there waiting for my husband to pass customs, but the officer started asking him some pretty crazy questions like: why are you here? Do you really have money? Who's paying for your trip? At that moment I knew he was racist and something was going on, because both of us are Mexicans, the difference is that I'm white and my husband is not. I made the mistake of getting closer to them to try to help, and I told him that he's my husband. In retrospective I know what I did wasn't the most logical thing to do, looking in the eyes at a racist officer and telling him that we were gay and married. The guy just started yelling at me in front of hundreds of people, told to get away from there and just continue my trip. It was super awful and humiliating. Another officer arrived, they pushed me aside and took my husband to some room. My husband was super scared, he didn't know what to do, I was in the baggage collection area thinking they were going to send him back, there was nothing I could do, I was nauseous because of the whole thing.
After 30 minutes another officer went to the room looked at his passport and just told him "have a nice stay", and that was it, he let him go and we just took a taxi to the hotel. First time in New York city and probably our last too.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
That's so fucked. I remember one of those assholes hounded my nephew (who was like 13 at the time) and knows very little english and could not answer the questions very well. Luckily his dad is fluent and level headed and the situation did not escalate. I feel the guy was trying to provoke something.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
That's awful :(
Godamn I feel like there should be guidance for non-American people on Resetera for entry to the US for gaming events... It's a serious issue, at least in US the border control have absolute power as a branch of the police AFAIK - unlike other nations.

Actually a guide probably applies to the UK, China too (all countries I've had trouble with and I'm a British citizen!)
It's certainly not unique to the US. Getting through customs has been a pain for me a lot traveling outside the US, especially when it's work related. UK being my worst experience where I was actually almost sent back home. The experience is shitty. Going to go through French Customs again in 2 days, this time for vacation so hopefully it's much simpler.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I agree - I made the move from UK to US and the things you should not volunteer to the Border Control is pretty much anything whenever you pass through.

True. Also. never say that you're visiting a boyfriend/girlfriend. Border patrol can just arbitrarily decide you're trying to "take advantage of America" because you might decide to marry them while you're here, which is fine, but you can't already have decided that before you step foot on American soil.

Let's go more in detail in the stupidity of this law. Just for fun:

The Stephen Miller-written rule says (since Trump) that you can't decide to get married to an american within 3 months of arriving in the USA without automatically being found guilty of visa fraud. Because 3 months just isn't enough to decide such a thing, as decided by the famous supreme court decision of "what the fuck? Have you even met Britney Spears?".

it used to be that that period was one month, which is almost reasonab- (no, i'm sorry to interrupt but there is a town called Vegas with drive through weddings, patience is not an american virtue!)

And guess what? 3 month is the maximum stay a tourist can have in America by default. So that means no tourist is ever allowed to decide to marry anyone while visiting the USA (well done Miller! What a clever cumstain you are!).

The lawyerly workaround? The visitor has to overstay their 90-day visa, thus technically breaking the law, and only THEN apply for a visa. There is no real-world penalty for briefly overstaying a visa by a few days.

So, in other words, if you come into the USA with 0 intention of marrying anyone, and you fall in love, and overstay your visa out of..love, and then decide to get married shortly after (but not too long after!) without ever informing yourself about american immigration law, you are PERFECTLY IN THE CLEAR. YAY YOU! YAY LOVE!

If you do anything else at any step, you're a criminal and your love is impure and illegal.

That's the law.

You want people to respect THAT?

If you respect that kind of law, how can you also respect yourself? Neutral Good FTW

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
Starlightmuse

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that sounds like some power-tripping assholes. I hope they fall down every set of stairs they encounter.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cops are stupid and this poor girl got profiled by some really large bozos. Poor thing, I hope she's ok after all this.

Batigol

Oct 27, 2017
US Customs 101 for us latinos/hispanic people. Say you're visiting on business, never use the word "work".

Still, the Customs officers are a bunch of recist POS.

Oct 28, 2017
damn i kept reading NBA show so i was confused because lets face it, a piano concerto is gonna get wasted in most sports-crowds if not all lol

on topic, what a horrible situation, i like how practiced were with taking her phone and basically isolating her. POS.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
True. Also. never say that you're visiting a boyfriend/girlfriend. Border patrol can just arbitrarily decide you're trying to "take advantage of America" because you might decide to marry them while you're here, which is fine, but you can't already have decided that before you step foot on American soil.

yep, this is why my wife still has to go back and talk to customs every time...tried to visit with a one-way ticket in 2006 (was not planning on staying, just figured we'd get her a ticket once she was here) when we were still dating...they refused her entry and since that's in her record it's still a problem every time we come back (she has a ton of family in Canada)...