• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't looked too much into what 2 has been adding, but my biggest hope for the game is a way of playing for score that isn't incredibly tedious. Waiting for the ghost and kiting it around for diamonds had me eventually drop the first game, when it otherwise would be a game I'd still be playing daily.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped, I'm excited, but above all - I have feelings of warmth and joy that this game is about to become a part of my life. 2 days to go!!!

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome OP! Thanks for linking the No Clip documentary; I had never watched it and just spent a much needed hour on that :)

Sep 8, 2020
I never played the first Spelunky because by the time I got into rogue-likes it seemed the community for that game passed me by (and it was intimidating from the outside looking in).

I'm really excited to hop onto this one day 1

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Both the Noclip documentary and the book are fantastic - for me, they greatly amplified the (already huge) respect I had for the game.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
great OT! Love the first game even though I never completed a Yama run..excited for more spelunky!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer to see the PC players have to wait two more weeks for some reason, but I'm looking forward to giving this a try. Never played the original Spelunky beyond like one or two short sessions, but I've grown to appreciate roguelikes more since then so I think this might be for me. Nothing carries over between runs in this, right?

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I've tried Spelunky on and off for the last 6 years or so and last week it finally clicked. Really love it now and finally get the appeal.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Nice OT.
Will wait for the Steam version tho. hyped beyond relief.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
I guess (hope) that the game won't be very demanding on PC right? Only got an Intel HD 4000 integrated gpu

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Might hold my purchase until a next-gen version is released. Trying to clean my backlog before november + THPS 1+2 is addicting AF.

OUFFFFFFFFF

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
The lady spelunker looks cute af :')
Sept 29th pc release date: fucking OOF

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Took the 16 - 18 off, first time I've ever taken time off work specifically for a game release. Can't wait!

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I've played Spelunky nearly every day for years. It's a masterpiece of the highest order. I can't wait to get cracking here. Absolute game of the year contender.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
original is my favorite game of the last 10 years

let's see if this one is my favorite of the next 10 years

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Day 1 for PS4 *and* PC!

Do we want to put in the OP those who are looking for friends for multiplayer and dailies? Here's what I have so far from the release date threads:

[Hidden content]
I think that's a capital idea! Give me some time as I usually don't post on sundays and I'll update the OP.

also can anyone confirm that dailies are going to be there at launch? When doing research for the game, I couldn't find any mentions of it.
Cheers angie!

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't looked too much into what 2 has been adding, but my biggest hope for the game is a way of playing for score that isn't incredibly tedious. Waiting for the ghost and kiting it around for diamonds had me eventually drop the first game, when it otherwise would be a game I'd still be playing daily.

I was much the same way. Did pretty much almost everything in the game(went through every level, got every shortcut), but never did any of the challenges involving treasure, or purposely messing with the ghost just to increase score. Still had more than enough fun with the game without bothering really, once you get into the gameplay loop. You do need a lot of cash to do everything, OR you can just get good at killing shopkeepers. I much much preferred the latter than bothering with the ghost. :D

Really tempted to get this day one on PS4 then again on PC, not sure though.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
So tempted to double dip on this. The original Spelunky still gets played in our house either by myself or my kids.

I'll buy on PS4 and if it has half the magic as the first one, PC will be a no brainier.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
After hundreds of hours in the first game and classic it'll be weird to have a new Spelunky. Both excited and weary at the same time since I consider the first game pretty much perfect but I'm confident they'll live up to expectations.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Spelunky was my game of the year when it released for Vita. Eventually bought the LRG release even just to have a permanent copy.

count me in.

Oct 27, 2017
I was much the same way. Did pretty much almost everything in the game(went through every level, got every shortcut), but never did any of the challenges involving treasure, or purposely messing with the ghost just to increase score. Still had more than enough fun with the game without bothering really, once you get into the gameplay loop. You do need a lot of cash to do everything, OR you can just get good at killing shopkeepers. I much much preferred the latter than bothering with the ghost. :D

Really tempted to get this day one on PS4 then again on PC, not sure though.

Kill shop keepers and ghost the vault when possible is how I play. I also think spending 30 minutes a level kiting the ghost over every gem is boring af, and thats a pity for a game as well refined as spelunky.

Do we have an ERA friends list going for this game? Got all the achievements on 360, and most of them again on steam. Just bought a ps4 for this and have no friends. Anyone got some names I can add before the 15th? (Not sure of my ID yet or id post it here.)

So, one change that bums me out but that I accept is that the full game will no longer be beatable immediately in a single run. That was one of the simple game design purities that I felt added a lot to the original/HD and I'm sad to see it go. Anyone else appreciate that facet and sad to see it go? Building the hub will be super fun, but will keep the game from feeling as revisitable, to me. Especially if the town members give benefits/advantages. Biggest concern i have pre-release, from a design point of view. I dont want rogue legacy post run progression/benefit grinding before you are on equal playing field with everyone. Two days!!

What time do people expect this to drop on tuesday?

Last edited:

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You know, I played a TON of Spelunky 1. So much so that I could like 8/10 times finish hell. But this one won't be on vita, which I felt was the perfect platform to get a couple of runs in while watching something on the tv or whatever.
Having this on steam only? I don't know, doesn't excite me all that much. I'm sure I'll pick it up, I just can't see myself putting in as much time, no matter how good it is.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
speedrun trophy is 10 minutes now. Wonder if the timing is just being more generous or it's a longer run compared to the first game.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Win10 requirement is disappointing. I wonder if there'll be some kind of way to bypass it. Aside from... I don't know, running a Linux VM with Proton. :P

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
First game I'll knowingly buy twice. When do PSN games usually release?
I'm curious about this as well. I wanna say it's midnight for the country/region you're in, but I'm not sure.

I know some people will buy games using a New Zealand or Japanese account in order to get a game earlier than their own region.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think low scorer had a trophy on the first one. It was only a Steam achievement.

The trophy list for this one is interesting. Definitely gives some hints and ideas as to what the final levels will be.