nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
im always dissappointed when i buy stuff that is supposed to be hot. like do they make this stuff for people who think onions are spicy? its pathetic

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Yes, this is well-known. Bring your own Blair's sauce to restaurants or make your own food at home. Exceptions include some parts of the South and smaller mom and pop restaurants in major cities.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a lot of stuff that is labeled as being really hot when in reality its just spicy? For sure. Is it hard to find stuff that will make you fart blood afterwards? Not at all in this day and age.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a lot of stuff that is labeled as being really hot when in reality its just spicy? For sure. Is it hard to find stuff that will make you fart blood afterwards? Not at all in this day and age.
I have Xtra Hot Frank's hot sauce from Walmart.
It's nothing.

Burger joints will have Ghost pepper and Carolina Reaper sauces that are kind of hot.
But I don't think McDonald's will have anything more than jalepeno pepper hot.
Something that will make you jump up and down is not what they want to be serving to kids and stuff.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
You have to be more specific. Do you mean mass produced food or local places? I live in an area with many Indian Restaurants. You can get food extremely spicy there. Also some local Korean and Chinese restaurants.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
You can still get hella spicy food at Indian restaurants, mexican places, there are also wing joints that have insanely hot stuff, and there are entire shelves at stores containing hundreds of crazy hot sauces.

I think what you mean is, processed fast food in america, which is true. Like Arby's jalapeno poppers are just breaded green peppers.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
At Trader Joe's they have food labeled clearly as being "VERY spicy", or "Extra HOT!", and the stuff is as mild as mayonnaise. My heat tolerance isn't even that high, but I'm routinely disappointed by these offerings. My theory is that grandma wants to eat the habanero ice cream too, and we'd better not kill anyone, so make sure to label all level 2s as level 11.

These days when I want hot I go to the latin market and get the goods behind the counter. Now that's the stuff that will give you a proper ulcer.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
are you going fast food joints and expecting their "spicy" to be spicy?

USA has pretty much every culture in the world within its borders. I'm sure there is real spicy food out there without even having been.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Chains in general are not gonna be super spicy and I think to some degree there may just be a corporate liability element to that. So yeah if you're getting an 'XTREME GHOST PEPPER BURGER' from Wendy's or something it's probably not gonna be xtreme ghost pepper hot. But in my experience(in the south, at least) independent restaurants, indian places, thai places, wing places, that kind of thing, you can get some real spicy stuff if you want.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Americans don't have bidets. They wipe a dry paper on their anuses hand of god. American anuses can't handle hot food. It's just that simple.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for OP. If you want someone to fuck you up with spice, you can definitely find it. Up here in the tippy-top of Pennsylvania there are restaurants that will absolutely fuck your entire day up if you ask them to.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird, if my goal is to actually find spicy things I seem to always be successful. I guess if I only tried to find it in places I knew I wouldn't find it in the first place I'd fail most of the time.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yeah, the Indian restaurants (and my home obviously) are the only places that I experienced spicy food.

"Spicy" branded food in other restaurants are no way in hell spicy lol.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
A place that does hot wings is probably your best bet as far as national chains go. Plenty of local and ethnic joints will drop napalm in your mouth if you ask around.

GalacticToast

Oct 25, 2017
im from chicago, we have tons of mexican places if i want actual spicy food but everything else that is more american is pretty bad
As someone born and raised in LA, who also happens to be Mexican, mexican food comes through with the spice. But it's definitely not the only one. Indian food, thai food, jamaican food can all be plenty spicy.

Do you often go to different spots for food?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Mexican, Tex-Mex, Cajun, Korean, Chinese (Sichuan, Hunan, or Guizhou), Indian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, Jamaican, Haitian, and Thai foods can all be really fucking spicy. Look for the ethnic enclaves and rejoice in the spice.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Same in Australia. I usually get a Madras or a Vindaloo here and it's fine.

When I went to the UK even the Madras left me sweating and sniffing. And it was consistent across their takeaways.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It depends on where you're eating. I've had mild food at American restaurants that were supposed to be spicy, but have also had mild food that was supposed to be spicy at Indian, Thai, and other restaurants.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
There is also a point to be made that "American" food isn't really all that much of a cuisine into itself. There are regional cuisines (New England, Midwestern [which has roots in Norwegian and Scandinavian cuisine], Pennsylvania Dutch, Tex-Mex, Cajun, Creole, Southern Soul, etc.) but there is no real cohesive American cuisine. Like the makeup of our citizenry, the food culture of the USA is a melting pot. If you're looking for spice on your burger and fries, there is probably a place that specializes in it. But your average joint isn't looking to cause people pain and probably doesn't carry scorpion peppers in the back.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
There are countless bars serving boneless/bone-in wings with sauces that are so spicy that will absolutely ruin the food because all you taste is heat.

Almost every Thai restaurant has a "just fuck my shit up fam" option for spicyness.

Cant remember the last time I ate at an Italian or pizza restaurant that didn't have a jar of crushed red pepper.

But yeah fast food, fast casual, and chain family restaurants will go easy on spice because those places are more likely to refund a complaining customer who "didn't realize it'd be that hot" than a local mom and pop.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a friend who though black pepper was spicy.

I clowned him for about 2 days straight.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Older I get and the more I cook the more I think heat is overrated and dislike dishes that are "spicy" as the dominant feature. Then again I am merely an old American