• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
So it's been quite a while since Spider-man 2 has released and I thought it would be interesting to have a discussion on what we would like for the next instalment.

Spider-Man 2 was such an amazing game and I still standby that, many games have me stuck in the honeymoon phase for quite a while but after a few months I start seeing the holes, this is not the case with Spidey 2 it pretty much delivered in almost every front but it's still not perfect.

The number 1 thing I want from the third game is more sense of discovery. Once you complete these games I feel like the world just kinda stops and there's nothing really cool to discover anymore. I understand creating high quality side missions with cinematics littered throughout is extremely expensive and not viable for a big AAA game like Spider-Man since majority of the budget will go the campaign. So a solution for this would be places littered around the world that are not marked on the map and you can only come across them organically. They could be entrances to buildings where you can learn some cool lore, one could be an enemy base that unlocks a cool suit, one could simply be a puzzle that unlocks a gadget etc. I want things to discover that could easily be missed during the campaign so you can come back to it post game.

Second and last major thing I want is please no boss battles that are confined so basically arena boss battles. It ruins the immersion for me, give me boss battles that are in the heart of NYC and are fully open. This isn't just an issue with Spider-man since many games do this but it just ruins the vibe at times. And don't make them multiple rounds, give me one long ass boss battle that is causing mayhem around NYC. I'm not sure if tech wise it's a limitation currently but if so, make spider-man 3 a PS6 exclusive then.

What do you guys want?

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
A Miles/Gwen game, no Peter as a playable. Improve the story, less random world stuff like collecting and minigames.

PennyPasta

Sep 3, 2020
Gamer County
i only started playing the second one the other day but, holy shit i need them to stop talking there is like no down time between anything. if someone isn't talking at me to move the story forward, the game is playing some in-universe podcast or miles is explaining how to solve a puzzle for babies before i even get to think about it for myself. i also kind of hate how like 75% of the dialogue is written so it's not a great combo!!

but also they should put gwen in it or something because girls are cool

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
-No more MJ missions. Yes SM2 improved them but I still don't want to play them.
-Story paced more like the first game than SM2.
-Ultimate Goblin final boss.

Nasu

Feb 11, 2021
- Better sidequests. They were not good, at all. The only passable one was the flame cultist one and even that quest seemed to be more of an advertisement to sell you the next dlc / game because it had no real conclusion and was basically just setting up a next villain. Same for the chameleon one.

- A longer main story. The length was totally fine for the first game because it focused on Peter but with Miles in the mix it felt way too stuffed. He 100% drew the short straw and got nothing really to do for 70% of the main story. Can't imagine how stuffed the third game will be if they do not treat that one person from the after credit scene like Miles in the first game but make them a main character.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
- A longer main story. The length was totally fine for the first game because it focused on Peter but with Miles in the mix it felt way too stuffed. He 100% drew the short straw and got nothing really to do for 70% of the main story. Can't imagine how stuffed the third game will be if they do not treat that one person from the after credit scene like Miles in the first game but make them a main character.

Disagree a bit. I felt the first game was drawn out a bit, especially the sidequests. The second game felt tighter.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Only Peter gameplay, let Miles have his own games and no Mary Jane gameplay would be a great start after such a disappointing sequel.

IonMagus

Banned
Feb 18, 2021
Dont make SM3 at all. Release Insomniac from Marvel Hell and let them do something NEW lol.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Given the recent comics, lean more into Miles' love of anime & fighting games. Borrowing from UI Goku & Bakugo were a good start, but go even further beyond. Let Miles pull moves from Yuji, Chun-Li, King (Tekken), & more.

A Miles/Gwen game, no Peter as a playable. Improve the story, less random world stuff like collecting and minigames.
edit: Also yes GWEN PLEASE
It's pretty clear at this point that they're doing Cindy/Silk instead of Gwen.

Last edited:

IonMagus

Banned
Feb 18, 2021
Yes, release them from making enormously successful games they love to make.

Incredible idea.

They are sooo successful that they had to fire dozens of people recently eh. Games with a 300 Million Budget so if a Game doesnt sell at least 7 Million full price copies its a financial failure because they agreed to a contract with Disney where they have to pay 30% on every Game sold.

Lol. Lmao.

SM2 combines a lot of the awful things wrong with Game Industry atm.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's pretty clear at this point that they're doing Cindy/Silk instead of Gwen.
💔 My heart breaks for no Gwen as Ghost-Spider is the one thing I've wished for across all the games. Real shame if it doesn't happen on the finale. I'll be happy to see Silk have a large presence though, just wish it wasn't one or the other.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are sooo successful that they had to fire dozens of people recently eh. Games with a 300 Million Budget so if a Game doesnt sell at least 7 Million full price copies its a financial failure because they agreed to a contract with Disney where they have to pay 30% on every Game sold.

Lol. Lmao.
Yes, they should really get back to Sunset Overdrive, which definitely sold around 10M units like Spider-Man 2.

They for sure wouldn't have let go people in that case, the industry state has nooooothing to dooooo, it's the eeeeviiiil Marveeeeel

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's an open world dating sim and the more people you date at the same time the faster you have to travel around the city to keep up appearances and you also have to plan dates that are far enough that the person won't suspect you're having another date but also not too far or you won't get there in time.

IonMagus

Banned
Feb 18, 2021
Yes, they should really get back to Sunset Overdrive, which definitely sold around 10M units like Spider-Man 2. They for sure wouldn't have let go people in that case.

Dunno but Insomniac survived very well and fine for 3 Gens with releasing smaller scale Games. Super Hero crave is over lol, they need to move on because one flop will be the end of them under current Sony.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
A Spider-Man game structed like the Yakuza games would be nice, more funny and neat side quests helping people out in the streets.

Also would be nice to pull from lesser known villains and not jus the sinister Six every time, pepper some small fry villains in there that cause mischief in the open world instead of standard thugs.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
💔 My heart breaks for no Gwen as Ghost-Spider is the one thing I've wished for across all the games. Real shame if it doesn't happen on the finale. I'll be happy to see Silk have a large presence though, just wish it wasn't one or the other.
Gwen is cool, but I could see 2 factors making them lean towards Cindy instead…
  • Beyond Gwen's ballet background, there's not much to set her apart from Peter mechanically (unless she's given complete control of the symbiote from the start).
  • Gwen's just another white woman, whereas Cindy would give Insomniac the opportunity to depict Korean culture (something we don't often see in games) in the same way Miles was able to show off Black & Puerto Rican culture.
But yeah, I wish it wasn't one or the other.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Gwen is cool, but I could see 2 factors making them lean towards Cindy instead…
  • Beyond Gwen's ballet background, there is not much to set her apart from Peter mechanically (unless she's given complete control of the symbiote from the start).
  • Gwen's just another white woman, whereas Cindy would give Insomniac the opportunity to depict Korean culture (something we don't often see in games) in the same way Miles was able to show off Black & Puerto Rican culture.
But yeah, I wish it wasn't one or the other.
Absolutely right on both counts. I really wouldn't want my preference to trump the opportunity in the second bullet, but as we've both said it didn't have to be an either/or. Just a shame, but that second bullet will make for something great if they put the same care in as they did with Miles. People deserve to see themselves in superheroes (was why I wanted Gwen following Spider-Verse even if it's just coded and from another piece of media lmao).

Maybe, maybe, as it's the last one they'll put in an alt style for Silk which is Gwen's costume. So at least I can pretend 😭

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Less busy work filler stuff which is the same thing over and over and over again.
More meaningful side stories made out of mission chains.
I don't care if the game will be "shorter", 20-25 hours is enough length.

Dont make SM3 at all. Release Insomniac from Marvel Hell and let them do something NEW lol.
Last time they've tried that we've got one of the worst games I've ever played so I dunno if that's such a good idea.

OP
OP
BRVR

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
I'm beyond bored with these games now so they'll need a major shake up to keep me coming back.
It's so wild how opinions/perspectives work. I'm the complete opposite, I literally can't get enough of Insomniacs spideyverse, i fucking love these games so much. They're so gripping and entertaining.

IonMagus

Banned
Feb 18, 2021
Less busy work filler stuff which is the same thing over and over and over again.
More meaningful side stories made out of mission chains.
I don't care if the game will be "shorter", 20-25 hours is enough length.

Last time they've tried that we've got one of the worst games I've ever played so I dunno if that's such a good idea.

You dont actually wanna pretend like SM2 was such a great Game, right? Its one of the most boring, save Sequels Ive ever played with barely anything new in terms of Gameplay or Story structure.
At least R&C RA and Sunset Overdrive had some unique, fun ideas haha

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
retcon that miles suit, make fun of him for ever coming up with that shit a get my boy a proper new suit (that was not designed by the marketing team of adidas).

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I want more substantial side content. I didn't like the repetitive "mini-game"-y side content that is scattered around the map. Other than that, I hope they make a skill-based swinging system.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
I want Spider-Man 3 to be focused on Peter again. If people want Miles let him have his own games.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You dont actually wanna pretend like SM2 was such a great Game, right? Its one of the most boring, save Sequels Ive ever played with barely anything new in terms of Gameplay or Story structure.
Well, since nothing which you've wrote in the second sentence means that it's not a great game... yeah, I kinda will pretend that.
Not every game should be "unsafe" with something "new", let alone a freaking SEQUEL which is a sequel precisely because people liked the original.

At least R&C RA and Sunset Overdrive had some unique, fun ideas haha
Calling R&C RA not a sequel is something new. And it had about the same amount of "unique, fun ideas" as SM2 I'd say.
And SO was just awful despite having these "unique, new ideas".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I can't think of anything I'm really desperate for. I think the main request I have is:

absolutely. no. multiverse. stuff. NONE.

Please. I'm fucking sick of the multiverse. And "here's five hundred dorks with the same powers" isn't interesting to me in the slightest.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
- Villain is set up to be Goblin so, Peter HAS to play a major role. Don't ditch Peter.
- Combat improvements in the sequel were welcome but they also cut a lot of gadgets and also cut the suit powers. Bring in more web based gadgets and also the suit powers.
- Seriously, improve the combat, second game wasn't "better" in terms of combat, it was better in places but worse in others compared to first Spider-Man.
- More set pieces and epic boss battles.
- Side quests with comic-lore based story bits. Mysterio and Carnage side quests in SM2 were excellent, emphasize those kind of side quests.
- In terms of gameplay Miles and Peter feels too same. Their differences only remain surface level. Make their playstyles feel unique.
- Skill tree and upgrades don't feel consequential. Upgrades need to be exciting.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Drop the regular people stealth gameplay segments for sure unless its optional side quest like the Hailey stuff was nice.

I want a lot more in-game content that leans on the traversal. The gliding mini-game was just okay.

A decent villain this time around.

They tried to make bosses more interesting with the clunky parry system but I didn't enjoy how many phases they had and I prefer if they just went the more set piece route with them tbh since the combat is starting to grow stale.

Combat probably needs some kind of rework but idk what. Its gotten too repetitive and mashy.

edit: Also yes GWEN PLEASE

edit2: I will side eye people asking for no Miles. A lot of his stuff in 2 was my favorite (minus the Mysterio junk).

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Better writing. No MJ missions. More combat variety. I think second game has goated animations and swinging mechanics but story is massive step down and side missions were boring like the first game.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Better writing.
More consistent writing.
Bring back the people that did the NPCs on the street dialogue / conversations as those felt more authentic than anything else in the game. Going from those conversations that I just stopped and listened to because they were so good to side quests I was supposed to find was just jarring in terms of quality.
Better story balancing switching between multiple Spiders, easier said than done of course, but the lack of focus was really apparent. It felt like going between a main plot and an after school special at times.
More differences in combat between the Spiders.

I'm not joking about the writing. You can't have something this good and then have everyone else exist in this idealistic bubble. Let more people have flaws and be a little messy or shitty.

View: https://youtu.be/DR7yb1TdO7A?si=OSDTx9JJ-3tzdoJF

I thought Spider-Man 1 was so far an above MCU with its writing. Miles Morales to a lesser degree. And then 2 was pretty much exactly what I didn't like about those movies, with sporadic bright spots.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A good story. Spider-Man 2 was honestly just incredibly messy in that regard and I found almost all of the character writing just terrible. Multiple times there are scenes that are supposed to feel like big resolutions but have like zero setup before.
Everything also just felt so... sanded off? Like no one was really allowed to be a little messy, instead it all felt so corporate approved

Last edited:

Rixam

Jan 2, 2023
They nailed the formula with Spider-Man 2, so really just a continuation is fine by me. I'd like a few more side quests like the Flame ones that felt closer to main story missions in terms of quality/importance

I assume with the third playable character there'll be an expanded map too so more tools to navigate the world with maybe some unique traversal options for each Spider?

theCioro

Jun 16, 2023
RO
having open portals littered throughout the world like Rift Apart where you use your web to sling in and you're in spider-man 2099's NYC instantly would be orgasmic.
Not sure what you could change to the current map to have that new 'level' look to it, but portals could definitely solve this where you could overlap one or two different variants of the city

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Bring back suit variety for Peter. Also more traversal missions and what not. A few gliding missions don't cut it. Why didn't they lean on obstacle course missions?

Dec 11, 2017
It's so wild how opinions/perspectives work. I'm the complete opposite, I literally can't get enough of Insomniacs spideyverse, i fucking love these games so much. They're so gripping and entertaining.

That's totally fair. We're all different. I feel like all three existing games are one big blur. Same city. Mostly the same mission structure. Same goons and fights. Same skill trees. I was really let down by SM2 to be honest.