• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the low-framerate animation was pretty genuinely distracting most of the time. Was there a reason they went for that style? Just budget, I guess? In the trailers I thought they wanted it to look like stop-motion, but in retrospect it doesn't seem like they were going for that either.

I loved Doctor Octopus and Spider-Gwen. I wish they both had their own movies!

Okamiden

Oct 25, 2017
That movie was ridiculously stylish. Loved it. Went into it knowing nothing. Never had even seen a trailer. I was blown away, it looked so good!

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I thought the low-framerate animation was pretty genuinely distracting most of the time. Was there a reason they went for that style? Just budget, I guess? In the trailers I thought they wanted it to look like stop-motion, but in retrospect it doesn't seem like they were going for that either.

The movie is animated in 1s ,2s and 3s. The "low framerate" scenes are the ones animated in 3s. It's a deliberate choice.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Releasing in Brazilian cinemas one month late (January 10) for no reason. I really want to watch it, but I might as well wait for home media at that point.

Howdyjacker

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Saw it with a bunch of friends and we All loved it with some of them loving it too much and consequently being way to extra at certain parts of the movie.

I LOVED the frenetic pacing with little down time and most of the hip hop (black sheep ya'll!) and humor was on point.

Great freaking movie.

Shame the sequel will NEVER be able to measure up.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This movie is a neon explosion of top level artistry. Anyone who would give it a fully negative review has a dead heart.

Best Spider-Man movie? No question. One of the top 5 superhero movies of the last decade.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie is animated in 1s ,2s and 3s. The "low framerate" scenes are the ones animated in 3s. It's a deliberate choice.
For what purpose? I thought it was mostly jarring and distracting. In hand-drawn animation it can give things a sort of spacey dreamlike quality, but here it just feels like cutting corners.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what purpose? I thought it was mostly jarring and distracting. In hand-drawn animation it can give things a sort of spacey dreamlike quality, but here it just feels like cutting corners.

I believe it's to make it seem like you're going from panel to panel in a comic book. Everything in the design was done to evoke comic book/graphic novel esthetics.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I dragged my wife this. She leaned over as the opening montage began and asked if the movie was animated, letting out a groan after I told her yes.

She left saying it was one of the best movies she'd ever seen.

It's pretty good, gang.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To evoke the feeling of a comic book I would assume.
I believe it's to make it seem like you're going from panel to panel in a comic book. Everything in the design was done to evoke comic book/graphic novel esthetics.
I felt like that was accomplished pretty well with the panels, written dialogue boxes, and that dot matrix 4 color printing scheme on everything. It was hard to watch the movie and not find myself wishing it was as fluid and detailed as a Disney/Pixar CG film.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I would've liked the same team to handle the sequel but I guess they were booked beforehand. Still optimistic though.

I felt like that was accomplished pretty well with the panels, written dialogue boxes, and that dot matrix 4 color printing scheme on everything. It was hard to watch the movie and not find myself wishing it was as fluid and detailed as a Disney/Pixar CG film.
Well you're free to dislike it but from the interviews I have read, they pretty much went and broke the conventions of how one normally animates a 3DCG movie so it being lazy or cost-cutting couldn't be further from the truth.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well you're free to dislike it but from the interviews I have read, they pretty much went and broke the conventions of how one normally animates a 3DCG movie so it being lazy or cost-cutting couldn't be further from the truth.
The LEGO Movies have the same choppy animation style but it fits a good deal better there, since it often ends up looking like someone made a stop-motion film out of the Lego figurines.

The Doctor Octopus sections are clearly done at full-speed and look fantastic.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
The LEGO Movies have the same choppy animation style but it fits a good deal better there, since it often ends up looking like someone made a stop-motion film out of the Lego figurines.

The Doctor Octopus sections are clearly done at full-speed and look fantastic.
I guess I just kinda got used to it so it didn't bother me that much. I just want to let you know that it is definitely not done out of laziness or as a cost-cutting measure.

"One of the lessons I'm taking away after completing this project is that in art, it's a really good thing to not be sure if you're making the right choices. It means you're doing something bold. So, for a lot of us, we didn't know how good what we were doing was or how people were going to respond. It was a risk. You live with that fear."

This is a quote from the head of character animation Josh Beverid. I'm sorry that you didn't like it. Maybe once the home video release comes out, people will try to interpolate those scenes and I'm curious as to how they'll look.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best spider man movie. Maybe the best marvel film period. It was hilarious, looked amazing, story was great, and all of the music was A+

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dragged my wife this. She leaned over as the opening montage began and asked if the movie was animated, letting out a groan after I told her yes.

She left saying it was one of the best movies she'd ever seen.

It's pretty good, gang.

Whats kinda cool is
Peter porker spiderman does a double entendre when he dors the whole "what you dont like cartoons?" Bit. That isnt just for the character in the movies, but its for audience members too. Its like "how do you like me now!?"

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if this is partly what messed with me. I had a headache that lasted like 9 hours, even through the night, and it's still with me today. Water and coffee hasn't helped. Either it's one heck of a coincidence or it really bothered my brain. :(

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Could this beat the Disney/Pixar monopoly at the Oscars?

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic movie. I was impressed that the theater was more or less full, and it wasn't full of kids.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I feel like Sony dropped the ball with the trailers/marketing for this movie. The trailers didn't sell me. It was the insane tomato rating that woke me up.

This thread should be at like 20 pages on ERA right now. I guess it's now my mission in life to convince as many people as possible to see this movie.

There is no way anybody could not love it. It's like the easiest recommendation I can make to literally every demographic.

Let's go do some unpaid marketing ya'll! ;)

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing movie and the animation was so unique and gorgeous. Miles Morales was such an endearing character and his relationship with Peter was great. Definitely my favorite Spider-Man movie.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Saw it yesterday and holy shit it was so good. I'm not even a comic book fan but I had the biggest smile on my face for the entire runtime. Straight up the best Spiderman movie imho. And the animation/visuals were just out of this world (literally and figuratively haha).

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I hate low framerate videogame or cartoon/cgi animation so really it was my biggest issue with the movie.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

No, it's to lean towards animated comic instead of cartoon based on comic.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have the comics established a female Dr. Octavius previously? Or is it a complete surprise to everyone that the scientist turns out to be Doc Ock?[/spoiler[

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of massive spoilers, is there any interest in a dedicated spoiler thread, or is there a policy I'm not aware of that forbids that now? It's painful browsing through a thread of spoiler tags when I just want to discuss the plot.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
There is TONS of misdirection in the trailers. I love it.

I really liked the Chris Pine monologue being given to Jake Johnson in the trailer.

Speaking of massive spoilers, is there any interest in a dedicated spoiler thread, or is there a policy I'm not aware of that forbids that now? It's painful browsing through a thread of spoiler tags when I just want to discuss the plot.

We had one but it was locked.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Well aside from what's already been pointed out, the only reason they could push the visual comic book style was because it was done on 2's. Doing it primarily on 1's would've been close to twice the work because of the meticulously 2D overlayed segments.

And seeing as this was Sony's most expensive animated film ever, I can imagine them not wanting that.

Whats kinda cool is
Peter porker spiderman does a double entendre when he dors the whole "what you dont like cartoons?" Bit. That isnt just for the character in the movies, but its for audience members too. Its like "how do you like me now!?"
Yeah noticed that too. Gave me a sensible chuckle since I've heard the opposite sentiment so much and I'm glad the film pointed it out.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Just to expand on this, I think they were all teleported a week back. Hence all the other Spidey people already being at Aunt May's. It's just that she's the only one that explicitly mentioned it. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I think the supercollider incident hat Miles happens on is the second time it was activated. Citizens refer to it as an earthquake because that's its second most obvious effect on the world besides causing glitches. And as Miles heads to his new school, his old friends ask him if he felt the earthquake that presumably happened yesterday… and that day is days before the raid on Alchemax.
Animating on 2s and 3s was a deliberate choice and entailed a lot of work because, among other things, cloth simulations didn't work except on 1s. They had to fix the cloth sim to ghost-sim the skipped frames.

And it was a choice because they felt they couldn't get the feeling they wanted out of smoothness of CG animated on 1s. Plus, carefully animated on 2s can produce stronger posing. See more at Cartoon Brew: https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature...-spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-167321.html

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
One thing I can say about the low framerate scene is it kinda make the action poses more stand out. Usually in animation when you have cool fast motion going on, it's sometimes have motion blur, or you get some inbetween frames that didn't look as cool. In here, the dynamic poses stays on screen longer and just make it more memorable somehow.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from seeing this with my son. We both loved it! I honestly think it's the best Spiderman movie.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Sony dropped the ball with the trailers/marketing for this movie. The trailers didn't sell me. It was the insane tomato rating that woke me up.

This thread should be at like 20 pages on ERA right now. I guess it's now my mission in life to convince as many people as possible to see this movie.

There is no way anybody could not love it. It's like the easiest recommendation I can make to literally every demographic.

Let's go do some unpaid marketing ya'll! ;)

I feel like it's the old animation bias at work. Everybody I've mentioned the film to who has a passing interest in superhero movies says the same thing. "There's a new Spider-Man movie? Oh, you mean that kids cartoon?". You're right, this thread should be 4 times as long as it is, and I know that it would be if it were another live-action film. Even a bad one.