• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your prediction?

• Lower than 80

Votes: 159 3.7%
  • 80-85

Votes: 760 17.9%
  • 86-89

Votes: 1,906 44.9%
  • 90/higher than 90

Votes: 1,418 33.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, but I'm not spending £46 on a game which is this hyped and only gets 4/5s. You guys enjoy this one.

5fEI04Y_d.jpg

I ordered the digital deluxe instead.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone actually use reviews for their purchase?!
I mean I read to make sure it's not completely bugged and rubbish, but taste is so subjective I'd rather just find out for myself instead of letting others dictate what is good or not, especially when you see that sometimes outlets give a review to a guy that hates that type of game so destroys it.

Well as you said yourself reviews can be very important for revealing bugs and other technical issues that hamper the gameplay experience. A new title can look fantastic on paper in relation to your personal tastes, but if it ships under-cooked that can squander what might otherwise be a great game.

I tend to be more freewheeling with $20 and under titles. More willing to just blindly impulse buy if the game's premise interests me enough.

But $60 titles? You can bet your ass I'm gonna browse through reviews before dropping the coin.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I read to make sure it's not completely bugged and rubbish, but taste is so subjective I'd rather just find out for myself instead of letting others dictate what is good or not, especially when you see that sometimes outlets give a review to a guy that hates that type of game so destroys it.

This is a 60€ game so of course I won't buy it solely based on hype and marketing material.

Your last point is basically not a problem when you chose to listen to reviewers that usually align with your tastes.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Watching the embargo. If the reviews are half decent then I'm ordering it today. I've always been more of a Batman guy (mainly because there have been so many good Batman games - even since the 90s), but I'm well up for some spidey action.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's why you don't use reviews to dictate what is good or bad for your tastes, but use reviews to complement your blind spots and for perspectives beyond your own. I would have never played a game like Offworld Trading Company or Spintires if I hadn't read reviews that talked about what made them unique and why they resonated with those reviewers.

The most useful reviews IMO are the ones that don't align with your tastes, but have different tastes than you and can explain why such games are appealing and interesting, that you would have never considered yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.