• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
So judging by Sales data on Miles Morales it is selling incredibly well. Whats more, bulk of its sales seems to be on PS5 and it seems to have a fantastic attach rate. People are holding off playing this on ps4 and it is showing. It is going to be one of those evergreen titles on ps5.

If this is the case at launch it is only going to get worse for ps4 skus later in the year. Horizon Forbidden West is going to sell bucketloads as a ps5 game. Aint nobody going to buy it on ps4.

Imo publishers should just simplify dev times and cut off last gen consoles. The idea of From Software releasing a cross gen game in 2022 of all years is absurd. Elden Ring will not sell well on ps4 and Xbox one even if it runs well there at that point. What is the point in selling cross gen games in late 2021 or 2022 given this data and waste dev time optimizing for last gen consoles given the pandemic?

Does anybody think cross gen games are going to sell well in fall 2021?

Last edited:

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Cross gen games please nobody. You get a worse experience on last gen and you get an underutilized game if you buy for the new gen.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Cross gen games will definitely sell well in Fall 2021 (that's only a little over 6 months from now)

There's more than 100 million that have a PS4 and a large amount that have a Xbox One. Publishers are not going to ignore those people in game releases less than a year since the next gen consoles launched.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they cant even produce enough ps5s for people to buy. they gotta keep cross gen

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020
Sounds more like it shows there's no reason to not make games cross gen. People still buy them regardless.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive commentary, trolling, history of past similar behavior
They please people that can't afford to buy new $500 consoles.
It's an expensive hobby, don't know what to tell people besides wait until you can afford it.
Okay
Damn I sure as hell was pleased by MM on my PS4 thank you
You should see the PS5 version, it'll show you how much you were missing out on, when the console becomes available to you of course.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The PS5 isn't even widely available everywhere yet and probably won't be until 2022.

I'm glad RE Village is coming out for PS4 as well. I probably wouldn't be able to play it for at least another year if it didn't.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First, please cite the sales data.

Second, next gen consoles are in short supply and will be for quite a while so cross gen makes sense for the time being

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
There will be people who can't buy a next gen console so soon to launch but the fact is that if we follow the same pattern as last gen, the sales of PS4 and XBO versions will drop down fast when we approach the second holiday and beyond of the new machines.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I did and It doesnt really matter to me, PS4 version still looked fantastic. I don't play at 4k and I dont really care about raytraced reflections. 60fps would be nice sure but it is what it is.
The upgrades were pretty substantial, and probably would have been even better if PS5 only. The load times make it worth it but 60 FPS and Ray Tracing are pretty great too.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
I'm sure this thread is going to go very well...

Short of the 100M+ install base too much money on the table to not make it cross generational if it fits that market until PS5 systems can be readily available en masse,. Not sure why people have such an issue with this if its viable for them.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
At this point I don't think there will be many cross gen first party games anyway. Horizon is the only confirmed one, right? Other than MLB.

They please people that can't afford to buy new $500 consoles.

Depends on the quality of the port. I doubt many were pleased with Shadow of Mordor on PS3 for example.

But something like Rise of the Tomb Raider? Sure.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
It was a launch title in a sparse ps5 only library. it's gonna sell. i don't think this means what your thesis claims.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I think OP is conflating both the 4.1M figure and the 71% debut sales share going to the PS5, from here:

www.gamesindustry.biz

Spider-Man: Miles Morales has sold 4.1m copies

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales sold 4.1 million units worldwide in a month and a half. Having launched on November …

I don't think we have, however, official figures for each console.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So judging by Sales data on Miles Morales it is selling incredibly well.
What sales data?
Whats more, bulk of its sales seems to be on PS5 and it seems to have a fantastic attach rate.
What is the attach rate?
People are holding off playing this on ps4 and it is showing.
Is it?
What is the point in selling cross gen games in late 2021 or 2022 given this data
WHAT DATA

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It is true that it's less about the size of the install base & more about how much of said install base is willing to get games for their old system as opposed to waiting for the new one. But at the same time, PS5s are at a severe shortage right now.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think OP is conflating both the 4.1M figure and the 71% debut sales share going to the PS5, from here:

www.gamesindustry.biz

Spider-Man: Miles Morales has sold 4.1m copies

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales sold 4.1 million units worldwide in a month and a half. Having launched on November …

I don't think we have, however, official figures for each console.

OP argument destroyed in one sentence in the article.
sales didn't quite reach the height of 2018's Marvel's Spider-Man in the country.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
"Please stop giving access to people who can't afford a PS5, I wanna have better graphics. People who don't own a PS5 statistically doesn't matter, come on Sony, do something!"

PS5s are barely available, much less affordable, and they just released.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
What sales data?
What is the attach rate?
Is it?

WHAT DATA

This was at launch and the weekly uk charts thereafter seems to indicate spiderman sales going massively up with ps5 restock each time.. This is on a paltry install base.

I am extrapolating from this that this disparity will increase even more in the fall with more consoles in the wild. I don't see Horizon selling well on ps4 at all.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
It played the same as Spider-man PS4 and I didn't hear anyone complaining about that game when it came out.
That's because they had nothing to compare it to.
Just dance has been getting Wii Ports up to 2019 with Just Dance 2020. There are people who don't care about upgrading.
I didn't realize that the people who want to buy Just Dance every year also want to play Elden Ring on Xbox One.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
There's like a big shortage in the components needed to make high end tech like PS5's. So much, the President of the United States decided to get involved.

Keep dropping those cross gen games, devs.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
It's an expensive hobby, don't know what to tell people besides wait until you can afford it.

Okay

You should see the PS5 version, it'll show you how much you were missing out on, when the console becomes available to you of course.

Lol this is such a privileged take.

Btw I played it on PS5 and besides prettier graphics it was not some life altering way to play the game. Would have been fine just playing it on my Pro.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So OP is just saying things based on no data? And even if it did sell well on PS5...if it also sold well on PS4 then wouldn't that be an argument in favor of cross gen?

The argument only works if it sold on PS5 but bombed on PS4, which almost certainly isn't true

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Best way to handle cross gen games: Main developer focuses solely on providing the best possible experience for the new system. Hire an external studio to backport the game as best as they can.

Everyone wins: New console owners get a much less compromised experience while last gen owners at least get to play the game in some form.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You sound like a PCMR elitist. You probably should play on a high-end PC at all times to see how much you were missing out on multiplat games by playing on PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.