MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Really enjoying the expansion so far!
I'm not super deep into it, but I'm glad the sociological aspects of the lore are back in play! I really enjoyed the solemn racial divide of the Octarians and Inklings implied in the first game.

Glad they seem to be tooling with that some more.

Let's all live together and stay fresh!

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
There is an insane discount on Splatoon here on a store but, i never bought it despite enjoying the first game lots because the Wi Fi on Switch doesn't work unless im next to the router :/

Im thinking if i should buy it :S

Vorkken

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic DLC. Some of these challenges are tough, but tough enough. And that finale is just awesome.

And

Man, I love the fact that almost every station name is seemingly a reference. One of the best details.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Help needed! I'm on 'Dinky Ink Station' and I'm really confused. You aren't allowed to restock ink but there don't appear to be anywhere near enough ink capsules to get through the level without of running out of ink. Anyone worked out what to do?

I just beat this (And with only using one life to boot!)

Capsule refills take you from 0 to 100% I would attack the flanks and after I got the key dump whatever was left in one of the boxes (minus one bullet) and go back. Remember to hit the guys when they're vulnerable (Like after they dodge to the side).

After that its down to your skill killing the octoling at the end. You just gotta be as conservative as possible.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great lunch break game. Levels are the perfect length. I enjoyed the Main SP campaign but those levels were just a bit too long.

Brixx

Jan 26, 2018
The people that pulled all-nighters to complete all 80 levels are the very definition of hardcore. This expansion is hard as nails.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was one of the best Nintendo DLC's ever.

Edit: still got like 40-50 missions left wich ill slowly do i need all those memcakes and the extra gear unlocks + story tadbits they kinda are like sunken scrolls.

Last edited:

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I don't have Splatoon 2 yet, and I want to play this, but I read support is stopping in December? Not sure getting it this late in its life.

New weapons and stage will be released monthly until December (it was originally until this month, but they just extended it). Splatfests were announced to be held for 2 years (so until July 2019). And even after that, you'll still be able to play online.
Mind that if the game continues to do well we might get another extension on the weapon/stages support, and after the World Championship the Octo Expansion was said as the "first" paid DLC, so there's that.

Vecks

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, things are starting to get challenging. I was initially worried because many of the earlier levels could be beat without dying, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to run out of cq points.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Is Splatoon 2 singleplayer good?

Yes, but it's basically there to teach you how to use the base weapons. It's broken into 5 sections which act as a level of sorts as you have to discover the stages in each. Plus there are discoverable items.

It's fun but very differently paced from the multiplayer. So I found it best to balance my time between all the modes.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Some of these orb defenses are fucking brutal.

I was a little put off that the Thangs are just sitting around without actual boss fights, but these kinda make up for it.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I just beat this (And with only using one life to boot!)

Capsule refills take you from 0 to 100% I would attack the flanks and after I got the key dump whatever was left in one of the boxes (minus one bullet) and go back. Remember to hit the guys when they're vulnerable (Like after they dodge to the side).

After that its down to your skill killing the octoling at the end. You just gotta be as conservative as possible.

Thanks! Got it done :@) Great game!

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I played about 40 or so minutes, and this is pretty neat. The levels don't hold back as even early on you need to pay attention. Though I played on a flight and I think my motion controls annoyed my neighbor:) Whatever. His fault for sitting next to me.

Even if this wasn't great I figured my $20 went towards keeping the updates going. But great to see the expansion itself is fun.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
New weapons and stage will be released monthly until December (it was originally until this month, but they just extended it). Splatfests were announced to be held for 2 years (so until July 2019). And even after that, you'll still be able to play online.
Mind that if the game continues to do well we might get another extension on the weapon/stages support, and after the World Championship the Octo Expansion was said as the "first" paid DLC, so there's that.
I'm hoping for Splatoon 3. There is 1 killer feature that I think Splatoon is missing: 4 player split screen multiplayer. You need to be able to get 4 friends together and go online as a 4 player squad from a single console. This is the only thing holding Splatoon back from being the #1 couch multiplayer game. Maybe Switch can't handle that. But what about a Switch Pro model? Also we need a mini map on screen, no button press required. Battle Royale mode could be interesting, with maybe 8 4 player teams going at it. As for Splatoon 2 it now feels like a complete sequel. I would keep trickling gear, maps, and splatfests until Splatoon 3 is announced.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First time I'm having fun with Splatoon single player.

Surprisingly did 8 Ball on my first try, idk what the big deal is.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
So how is this expansion? I got kinda bored by the single player stuff in vanilla Splatoon 2, but the single player missions in this at least seem interesting. Is this more of the same that we saw in Spaltoon 2 vanilla? Or is it actually interesting and fun?

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
So i just got started in Splatoon 2 base game and... first thing i notice, i can't use motion controls?? So yeah, it's probably because i use one of those 3rd party wired controllers which don't have a gyro right? I guess that means if i want to play on my tv and not handheld mode and use gyro aiming i need to get a pro controller right?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems impressions for this are really strong looking through this thread. Might go ahead and pick this up tonight.

Oct 25, 2017
Played it to the end with about 40 missions knocked out, out of the 80 in one go last night. That took about six or seven hours. There's still a lot left to do. Final stretch and finale is pretty killer. Best piece of single-player Splatoon content, most probably. I dug how they balanced lore/story beats and broke up the mission variety. I like the 8-ball. If that's a new mode, it'll probably feel like a combination of Rocket League and pinball.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the turnstile/cash mechanic to attempt a level. For the hard as balls ones, you'd best have your coins stacked up on that arcade cabinet, ready to invest some time, patience and money.

New outfits are pretty snazzy. If you get complete mem cake sets, you get a new unlock, so that's 8-10?

Going to get my grind/completion on tonight.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So how is this expansion? I got kinda bored by the single player stuff in vanilla Splatoon 2, but the single player missions in this at least seem interesting. Is this more of the same that we saw in Spaltoon 2 vanilla? Or is it actually interesting and fun?
There's a lot more variety and the challenges are pretty unique... but if you weren't a big fan of the base game's campaign I can't really see this changing your mind.

That said, it's a pretty massive improvement over that campaign in general.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot more variety and the challenges are pretty unique... but if you weren't a big fan of the base game's campaign I can't really see this changing your mind.

That said, it's a pretty massive improvement over that campaign in general.

HMMMMM......... I gotta think on it. Thanks tho!

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
So i just got started in Splatoon 2 base game and... first thing i notice, i can't use motion controls?? So yeah, it's probably because i use one of those 3rd party wired controllers which don't have a gyro right? I guess that means if i want to play on my tv and not handheld mode and use gyro aiming i need to get a pro controller right?

Do you not like the Joy-cons? I have a Pro Controller but prefer the Joy-cons when playing this docked. Something about just using my right hand to aim.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing and finished a few stages. More singleplayer content for Splatoon 2 was something I was pensive about at first due to the nature of the base content, and that I'm still at 400%~ completion there and still have yet to monotonously finish each level with several more weapons, but what I've seen of this so far has assuaged my fears that it would be similar: No annoying sardinium or sunken scrolls to collect, and the levels have tailored loadouts for them. Having a level early on that is entirely done using the inkjet has already made this better than the base campaign.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmmm, I have really conflicted thoughts on

The hidden Agent 3 fight.

This doesn't feel "challenging," this genuinely feels cheap and unfair. On top of Agent 8 moving incredibly slowly, if you get barely hit your shield breaks and you move at a snail's pace. This is compounded by Agent 3 having almost entirely AoE attacks that feel like their effective range is far beyond what it is in the actual game. I'm getting killed behind cover by Autobombs and Splashdowns far outside of their actual inked radius. I actually got to the final section and nearly tore my hair out when I died because I touched a pixel of orange ink and it stopped me in my tracks completely, and I died on the very edge of the Splashdown radius. That and no checkpoints or lives is just killing my desire to actually do this.

The actual story mode fight was fun, this feels like fighting a cheater online, and it's just as unrewarding.

Apr 21, 2018
Played it to the end with about 40 missions knocked out, out of the 80 in one go last night. That took about six or seven hours. There's still a lot left to do. Final stretch and finale is pretty killer. Best piece of single-player Splatoon content, most probably. I dug how they balanced lore/story beats and broke up the mission variety. I like the 8-ball. If that's a new mode, it'll probably feel like a combination of Rocket League and pinball.

If 8-ball became a mode that'd be awesome. Can't believe you crushed so much in one day, I'm about 10 missions in. I love the extra challenge and that it has its own graphical style.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably get this thang later in the year. Don't have many Switch games I'm interested so far this year, aside from Hollow Knight and Captain Toad, so I'll try and spread the purchases out.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmmm, I have really conflicted thoughts on

The hidden Agent 3 fight.

This doesn't feel "challenging," this genuinely feels cheap and unfair. On top of Agent 8 moving incredibly slowly, if you get barely hit your shield breaks and you move at a snail's pace. This is compounded by Agent 3 having almost entirely AoE attacks that feel like their effective range is far beyond what it is in the actual game. I'm getting killed behind cover by Autobombs and Splashdowns far outside of their actual inked radius. I actually got to the final section and nearly tore my hair out when I died because I touched a pixel of orange ink and it stopped me in my tracks completely, and I died on the very edge of the Splashdown radius. That and no checkpoints or lives is just killing my desire to actually do this.

The actual story mode fight was fun, this feels like fighting a cheater online, and it's just as unrewarding.

I've heard horror stories. Probably need to move around faster. Maybe use sub strafing?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
This game is kicking my ass so hard I want to go undock my Switch so I can throw it. Throwing the controller isn't enough.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell that I absolutely need to start using gyroscope aiming in order to complete some of this content, but I can't for the life of me get used to it.

Any tips? How did you guys get used to using motion controls?