Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
AKA Hisashi Nogami

Full interview - http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...on_squids_kids_and_splatoon_2s_octo_expansion

In the US, we like to call them squid kids. This is the first time we've ever heard them called teenagers. How old are you in Splatoon 2?

On the development team, we've had discussions that they're right about the peak of when you have that teen spirit, which is right about fourteen to sixteen years old. So, like a teenager at the height of their teenage years, their interests are kind of all over the place. They want to become really good at sports, and they want to look really cool. They want to do a variety of activities. Regardless of what your actual age may be, we want people to be able to enter this world and kind of inhabit that spirit of that teenager I mentioned earlier.

Other stuff

Nintendo Life: In the original Splatoon, hackers modded the game to add playable Octoling characters. Did that server as inspiration for the Octo Expansion, or was this idea already being thought of?

Nogami: I can't say we got inspiration from that, but we did see that and we had the idea of wanting players to play as an Octoling character before that. We had that in our back pocket as a surprise to reveal later on, and when we say that we kind of thought to ourselves, "Aw, come on guys! You took our idea!"

In the Octo Expansion, Octolings and Inklings live together in Inkopolis. Were they enemies previously?

Up until this point, we've filled out the world of Splatoon from the Inkling perspective and players have seen primarily that. That's not to say Inklings are the good guys and all Octolings are the bad guys. Inklings have their own society, and Octolings have their own society, and now we're going to learn more about it.

In Hero mode, you were having to go after these Octarians who were behaving badly. They were kind of the bad guys among the Octoling clan. But in the Octo Expansion, you have an Octoling character who is combining forces with Captain Cuttlefish, who is an Inkling. They combine forces because of their shared goal to reach the surface together, and when they reach the surface, they find that society has progressed and now Octolings and Inklings live together.

You mentioned that you listen to player feedback, where do you look for that feedback?

We get that type of feedback from a wide variety of places, whether that's looking at responses to our official Twitter account in Japan, or our Tumblr account in the US. We also check places like Reddit and real-world events where we get to meet our community face-to-face and see their reactions to things. So it's definitely a wide variety of sources. I think one thing we're also aware of is that often times voices online that you hear expressing opinions are often a limited number of people that have the loudest voices.

One thing we feel is really important is to play our own game as one member of that community, and by interacting with different players online in multiplayer, to experience the game from a player perspective and take our own opinions about what might be missing, or what would be cool to add and listen to our development team voices as well.

That type of listening and watching is something I think multiple people - it isn't just me on the development team - but multiple people engage in, whether it's watching what people are saying online, or attending events, playing the game as one of the community's members ourselves. It's not that we have meetings where we all get together and say, "Okay, here's what we're going to do," but it's more of a living discussion that we have as developers and say, "Hey, did you see this?" Then we'll go and look at it and talk about it. It's just an ongoing discussion that we have among the team.

Something that often happens on our team, will be that one of us thinks we found something really interesting and will want to show it to other members of the team and say, "Hey, come here and look at this thing I found," and the person will come and say, "Oh yeah, I saw that," then another person will come and say "Oh, I saw that too!" So, it's like, okay, yeah everyone's paying attention!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Adult squids, at least female ones seem to have cross-shaped pupils.

You can see it in Squid Sisters as well as Pearl.

Cuttlefish doesn't have it for whatever reason.

Octopuses have their own shape that also seemingly manifests in adults only.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No seriously, whats up with the shapes of pupils in fully grown cephalopods and why is Cuttlefish an odd one out?
Contacts?

They exist in the Splatoon universe and the ones with the unique shaped pupils are the idols/celebrities. They're probably wearing them because it looks fresh.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so intensely focused on the age of these squid children? Do they want to justify beating off to them really badly? What's the endgame here?

Deleted member 15933

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How often has any Nintendo developer acknowledged that hacking exists, specifically in a cosmetic, non-cheating fashion?

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Since they talked about hackers, they should have asked what they plan to do with hackers this time.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
29322d0187ddbc1e64c8b6479070b7b6195f37e6_hq.jpg

I can't quite make out Callie's eyes on the left image which I know is official, but if the images on the right are not fan art or a goof than this whole thing about squid pupils becomes mighty confusing.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was known? I seem to recall that they published a whole growth chart, showing when inklings can perfect their humiod form, as well as the average age of the PC's.

Why are people so intensely focused on the age of these squid children? Do they want to justify beating off to them really badly? What's the endgame here?

The important thing to remember is that Best Girl Marina is 21, so beat away I guess?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Also, how did they evolve into liquid-based lifeforms?

Do they truly dissolve in water or is that merely a game mechanic?

Would be a highly disadvantageous adaptation for living in an earth that has nearly become an ocean planet.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that they point out that the Inklings are the youngest characters in Nintendo's history to join Smash when we had a Pokemon join Smash before it was even in a game, and we still don't know if there's gonna be an ARMS rep or not. Unless he meant the actual age of the Inkling characters VS others and not the age of the franchise? But even then, is that even true, how old is Diddy Kong or Kirby, or Ness or Lucas? Villager?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're a squid now,

You're an ambiguously aged humanoid that makes internet dwellers internally ashamed for the horrible thing they think about when they play the game, now.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of their actual ages they have the bodies of 10 year olds so these "OH BOY" posts are really gross

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Another one of these situations where they create a 12 year old and tell you they're actually a 1000 year old dragon so pervs can enjoy their R.34 content without backlash.

Unbelievable how people cape for this stuff.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Another one of these situations where they create a 12 year old and tell you they're actually a 1000 year old dragon so pervs can enjoy their R.34 content without backlash.

Unbelievable how people cape for this stuff.

I don't know man it's pretty clear that they are teens if you actually play they game.
They have a fucking part time job and buy cloths for themselves.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
It sounds insane, but It's true.

There's some characters in games, anime or manga that look about...11-13 but their character age is actually like 1000 years old or 100s because of story-line reasons. A lot of people use that excuse to get away with making...."Art" of them and such.

And this is EXACTLY what I'm referring to.

When the people who consume that content, know it's compeltely inappropriate, but are given an excuse that "allows" them to consume that content.

"Well actually that character isn't 12, she's been reincarnated and is actually 1000 years old, and she's short. Oh and also she's really a dragon. So it's okay. What you're doing right now at home isn't weird."

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
That hasn't happened for Pokemon.

Roy debuted in Smash before his "first" game came out, though.
I didn't word it properly but IIRC they worked with the Pokemon devs to get the frog ninja starter in Smash because they were planning Smash before that Pokemon game came out, right? I didn't mean that it was in Smash before the game actually released like with Roy.

But Roy brings up another point as well. So both on an age of character basis, and age of franchise basis, that question/statement is incorrect then. Tsk tsk.