Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
So recently I decided to replay the whole Splinter Cell series after I snagged them on the recent Steam summer sale. Now here's the thing, this whole series has a special place in my heart, mainly because the first Splinter Cell was among my first PC games that I played back in the early 00's. But, considering that I was in my early teens back then (and having a rough knowledge on English when I first played the games), I said to myself "Fuck it" and installed all the games again and extensively played through them just to see if each game deserves the praise it's getting and if the "bad" games in the series deserve the hate they're getting.

NOTE: I will be spoiling some major plot points from each game, so if by some chance you still haven't played any of these games, you might wanna click away. Also, everything I'll write in the next couple of paragraphs is strictly based on my current opinion, and is not written with the intent to lower each games quality, they're still pretty good, but there are some huge misfires (we'll get to them) So without any further ado, let's get this thing going! Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on the franchise, how it influenced you, what it means to you, and if you're waiting for a new one, eagerly like me?

1. Splinter Cell (released in 2002)

header.jpg

The first Splinter Cell, although being released 16 years ago, surprisingly holds up well today. From a technical standpoint, I had little trouble getting the game to run at 1080p, downloaded one fix, and the game was up and running (this will be relevant for the later entries). The plot is pretty straight forward, you're Sam Fisher (voiced by Michael Ironside) and you're a spec ops sneaky beaky solider who has the most unnoticeable green light shining googles on earth, and your goal is to prevent WW3. Even after all these years I enjoyed the story, and all the kind of stuff you can do as Sam, but I also noticed one thing that no one seems to talk about when they look back on the older games while criticizing the newer ones. You are actually encouraged to kill a lot of people, and the game has a lot of moments when it turns into a shootout. And honestly, those moments would be fine, if the control scheme and the equipment were feeling a little better to control, but considering it's 16 years old I was willing to look through that flaw. All in all i still enjoy the first SC, yes it has some glitches here and there, and the AI spotting can be iffy from time to time, but I was never frustrated while playing it (mostly because of being able to quicksave on PC), and I can still recommend this one.

2. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (Released in 2004)

Pandora_Tomorrow_box_art.jpg

Just like today's sequels tend to be set in a snowy area, I fell like back in the 00's the "cool" thing was to always have a sequel where jungles are prevalent. I remember playing this one a fuckton back in the day. Especially the first mission (mostly because it was installed on every PC in the internet cafe's is used to visit back then). Now, getting your hands on this game today is a little bit complicated, I honestly had to resort to some less legal ways of obtaining a "digital" copy of this game, because the cd version doesn't work on today's operating systems (that's also the main reason why we will never see a real digital version of this game, because Ubi is to lazy to patch out the DRM), but alas, after some tinkering I managed to run it with no problems. Now, in my opinion, PT improved in a lot of ways compared to the original, Sam got some new moves, we are now able to whistle (which can be abused, just like in every stealth game) and the overall graphical quality has been bumped up (understandably). Mission wise, quite curiously, it has the same amount of missions as the first one (My favorite being Jerusalem), and the same thing with the action sequences where the game basically says "fuck it, kill everyone in sight", and actually encourages you to do it that way. Of course there are missions where you are not allowed to kill anyone or alert anybody, which for this type of game is still a freaking good thing, but there are still some things that kinda made me have a huge question mark above my head (for example, the Paris mission, you encounter a scientist locked in a room, about to be breached by terrorist with explosives, after he gives you the info you need, you basically leave him to die, there's apparently no option to save the poor bastard, and Lambert even comments on that). Not to get to deeply into it, I very much enjoyed my new playthrough of PT, and can only recommend this one too. Let's get to the meat of the series, shall we?

3. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory aka the Messiah of Stealth games (released in 2005)

Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_-_Chaos_Theory_Coverart.png

This game....if you haven't experienced the perfection that Chaos Theory is, leave everything you're doing right now, go beg on the streets if you don't have the money, screw the finals you have tomorrow or that supper important job interview, you go and play this game NOW! To this day I remember how hyped up I was for this release, words can't even describe it. I watched every video they released on this game prior to shipping date, read every article, and played the Lighthouse dome maybe 50 times through. In my opinion this is one of the best stealth games out there one can experience, starting from the technical aspects, which still hold up beautifully today, to the music, and atmosphere, and the sheer amount of choice you're given in each mission. I remember being so blown away by Sam's new animation system, that even when replaying it last week I was still impressed. The addition of the knife was just icing on the cake. The only thing that I would say doesn't hold up would be the character faces, most of them look like shaved monkeys, but hey, otherwise this game is perfect. Each mission allows for multiple approaches, and this is actually the first one in the series to score you based on your performance during a mission, and this time actually encouraging you to play as a "ghost". Everything here is on point....but, as in the previous entries there are one or two points in the game where it turns into a unnecessary action game, but other than that, everyone who's into stealth games (and loves games like Dishonored because of the choices you can make on how to approach each level) should play it. And now, let's go downhill.

4. Splinter Cell: Double Agent aka Mute punished Snake before MGSV was even conceived (released in 2006)

Scda_boxart.jpg

I'm gonna cut this short, during my playthrough I realized that this is by far my least favorite SC. There are so many things wrong with this game. First of all, if you can, play the 360 version of the game and avoid the PC version like the pest. That is if you want to follow the story canonically, you should play the 360 version, apparently the original Xbox and ps2 versions are superior games (this was back when different platforms had different versions of games), I'm definitely planning on trying to emulate the original xbox version in the near future, but until then I have to bitch about the PC version. Getting this atrocity to run on my PC was a pain in the ass and I honestly don't have a clue how I managed to play through this game back in 2006. The sheer amount of glitches and game breaking bugs is incredible and this port easily grabs one of the top 5 spots in my "worst PC ports" list. I baffled how they managed to go from the perfection that CT was to this. The story sounds super interesting at first, Sam's daughter (did I mention he has a daughter) get's killed and Sam sinks into depression, he decides to take a super risky mission where he's supposed to infiltrate a terrorist group known as JBA. While the concept sounds good, the execution is just plain bad, first of all, Sam hardly talks in this game, he's faced with major decisions in the game, and mostly he would react with a sentence or two, like dude, you just killed an innocent pilot, can I see any kind of reaction. Also, for some reason, controlling Sam in this game feels so bad compared to CT. Gone are the choices and multiple approaches you had in the previous game, you're mostly following a straight linear path, and it simply kills the joy of playing this game. I seriously don't want to waste too many words on this one, for me it's a severe disappointment coming after CT, which in all honesty is really sad, because I was really looking forward to this one back when it was released.

5. Splinter Cell: Conviction aka John Wick simulator (released in 2010)

Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_Conviction.jpg

This one split the whole fan base. I remember everyone raging about how "this is not a real SC game!" mostly because of the "mark and execute" feature that got introduced in this one and I totally understand that. If you look at it from a purist point of view, this game throws all the traditions of prior SC games out of the window and decides to make Sam into practically Batman. I honestly didn't mind it that much, by this point the series was on hiatus and needed some change (considering how bad Double Agent bode with everyone). It made even sense story wise. Sam is now a fugitive after all the shit that he's done in DA, and he finds out that his daughter is actually alive, and now the fucker is after all the people who wronged him, of course he's gonna turn into a crazy killing machine. The one thing that doesn't work for me in that context is how Sam turned from moving like a 50 year old in the previous tittles (he actually is around that age), to a Jason Bourne type of super soldier who moves along walls as fast as a monkey. This one is also the shortest game in the series (took me less than 4h to finish), and there's simply no point in trying to do a "non lethal" playthrough, for a couple of reasons:

a) there are countless instances where you simply have to kill all the soldiers in the room
b) you can not choose if Sam is gonna just knock out an enemy or just straight up murder him
c) as mentioned before, story wise, Sam just doesn't give a fuck and wants to get revenge

Still I enjoyed playing through Conviction again, mostly because the PC port works without any major issues, and technically it holds up really well today (I still love the projections displayed in front of you).

This one is simply a love it or hate it, and there's no way around it.

6. Splinter Cell: Blacklist aka the best of both worlds (released in 2013)

Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_Blacklist_box_art.png

This is the one that committed the sin of replacing Michael Ironside as the voice actor for Sam Fisher. To this day, every time I boot up this game I hope I'll hear his voice coming from Sam's mouth, but nope, here's some generic sounding guy playing one of gamings biggest icons. The game in itself is really good, and in my opinion is just slightly behind Chaos Theory. The developers managed to please both sides, if you wanted to continue playing each mission like John Wick, you can totally do that. Want to be a purist instead and feel like you're playing Chaos Theory? You can do that too, just play on Perfectionist difficulty and you'll have the time of your life. I liked almost every aspect of this game, the mission design, multiple approaches, playing on perfectionist difficulty, Sam's movement, everything (except the voice actor, as I stated before). I honestly thing that it might have been better if they had a different protagonist instead of replacing the actor (although, to be fair, Michael Ironside had to step down because of health problems). I think this is the game where Ubi took a hard look at what they did wrong in the previous games and managed to improve substantially. It's a shame that it didn't sell as expected which led to the current drought that we're having with the SC franchise.

I tried to keep this as short as possible, all in all, the SC franchise still remains one of my favorite stealth game franchises with all of it's shortcomings. It was nice to return to the whole series in the course of the last two weeks. Now I fell a little bit burnt out, but I got the perfect cure for that in the form of the new God of War, so I'll be enjoying that in the next weeks.

Let me know your thoughts, what's your favorite SC game, and when did you jump into the series?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
SC1 blew my mind with how good it looked. The xbox version even looked better than how it looked on our PC because our GPU (Geforce 4mx) couldn't produce all the same effects.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pandora Tomorrow MP was a revelation for me, I spent so much time getting good at that, by the end of it I was unstoppable :)

Conviction was the high point in terms of campaign for me, as much as I loved the stealth approach of the first 3, I wasnt very good at them and it was too much trial and error for me. Conviction nailed the balance, and was the ultimate Jack Bauer sim.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The first game is okay but has a lot of weird mandatory shootout sections that just don't work. That, and the level design is a lot more trial and error, since it was Ubi's first shake at the genre. Still a really good first outing. Pandora Tomorrow recast everyone except Ironside, which was weird, but its level design is alright (even though the PC version doesn't work at all, and the only good console version is the Xbox release).

Chaos Theory remains one of the best stealth-action games of all time. Just recently played through it again, and it's still the GOAT. Amon Tobin's score for that game is beyond amazing, and remains a mainstay on my playlists to this day. He also composed the theme for Conviction, which is the best part about that game.

Nobody remembers Double Agent. The version made by the Chaos Theory team (the version on Xbox, PS2, and GameCube) is the better of the two. The Pandora Tomorrow team made the one with the nicer presentation, but significantly worse story.

Conviction isn't great. I'll leave it at that. Blacklist was good, but the levels were hampered by the limitations of the 360 and PS3, and wound up feeling artificially segmented, compared to the smooth, smooth pacing of CT.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I havent played Pandora Tomorrow in ages, is it still good? Were the shadow problems in modern hardware solved?

Ubersnug

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Wasn't the reason Blacklist wasn't voiced by Ironside because he was battling cancer at the time? And Ubisoft played it classy by using the excuse that it was a scheduling conflict or some other reason?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Let's be real here. In terms of movement mechanics and character control these games destroyed MGS until MGS4 at earliest. But, they were comparatively somewhat dry in other areas. The OG Splinter Cell was super impressive on Xbox at the time, and I loved it. Also worth noting there was a mission (maybe 2?) between the original and PT that was released for free via the Official Xbox Magazine. I think this was before Xbox Live even launched (please fact check someone) so pretty novel at the time, and I recall the mission being decent enough.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I havent played Pandora Tomorrow in ages, is it still good? Were the shadow problems in modern hardware solved?
Yup, it's pretty damn good. You can easily fix the shadow problems by just downloading one small fix, works like a charm.
Wasn't the reason Blacklist wasn't voiced by Ironside because he was battling cancer at the time? And Ubisoft played it classy by using the excuse that it was a scheduling conflict or some other reason?
As I said, it was because of health reasons(cancer), ubisoft gave the bullshit response of him being too old for the motion capturing.
Let's be real here. In terms of movement mechanics and character control these games destroyed MGS until MGS4 at earliest. But, they were comparatively somewhat dry in other areas. The OG Splinter Cell was super impressive on Xbox at the time, and I loved it. Also worth noting there was a mission (maybe 2?) between the original and PT that was released for free via the Official Xbox Magazine. I think this was before Xbox Live even launched (please fact check someone) so pretty novel at the time, and I recall the mission being decent enough.
There's indeed a mission pack for the first one, it's a couple of missions that have been cut from the original xbox xbox release.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I loved Blacklist and once my new computer shows up, I want to replay it on Perfectionist

Nov 1, 2017
Scda_boxart.jpg

I'm gonna cut this short, during my playthrough I realized that this is by far my least favorite SC. There are so many things wrong with this game. First of all, if you can, play the 360 version of the game and avoid the PC version like the pest.

Nonononono, you want to play the Xbox original or PlayStation 2 version. It was made by the same team who made Chaos Theory. In other words, it's the true sequel Chaos Theory deserves. The HD version was developed by an entirely different team (and was poorly recieved) Hopefully it will eventually be available on Xbox One via the backwards compatibility program.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Basically you played the wrong version of Double Agent

Loved this series so much.

Nonononono, you want to play the Xbox original or PlayStation 2 version. It was made by the same team who made Chaos Theory. In other words, it's the true sequel Chaos Theory deserves. The HD version was developed by an entirely different team. Hopefully it will eventually be available on Xbox One via the backwards compatibility program.
Well aware of that :) gonna try to get my hands on that version somehow.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP.

I am probably one of the biggest Splinter Cell marks you will ever meet. I still have on my wall huge replicas of the Xbox boxes for the original and PT.

I been dying for a sequel..

However, I am afraid.

I am afraid current UBI will Ubinize the game, and make it co op, open world garbage.

I know a sequel is coming. I am just afraid for it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't feel like any stealth game to date has captured being in darkness as well as CT. They nailed atmosphere and options so well in Chaos Theory. Blacklist is my second favorite. Definitely a different feel...and voice actor, but man was it fun and a major step up from SC: The Bourne Edition.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
OP.

I am probably one of the biggest Splinter Cell marks you will ever meet. I still have on my wall huge replicas of the Xbox boxes for the original and PT.

I been dying for a sequel..

However, I am afraid.

I am afraid current UBI will Ubinize the game, and make it co op, open world garbage.

I know a sequel is coming. I am just afraid for it.
This is one of my biggest fears too, I don't think SC would work in an open world, I mean, I had fun playing MGSV, but the story suffered a lot from the open worldness....

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I hope they took a lot of notes on MGSV in the mechanics and options department. But I want the hub like nature of Ground Zeroes. No open world bs. A tight experience you can tackle from numerous ends capped by some story stuff.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I also want to add.

For those that hated Conviction..

Will you rather want the original concept for the game where Sam was literally a bum fighting cops with chairs and tables? This was the original design of the game (there are videos on YouTube) and finally someone smart after seeing the TV series 24, said "Hey, I have a new idea, let's start over"
The only thing that survived the beta was the Washington level.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I still have my day 1 copy of SC1 for Xbox, doing the wall split always made me feel like i am Van Damme lol

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I also want to add.

For those that hated Conviction..

Will you rather want the original concept for the game where Sam was literally a bum fighting cops with chairs and tables? This was the original design of the game (there are videos on YouTube) and finally someone smart after seeing the TV series 24, said "Hey, I have a new idea, let's start over"
The only thing that survived the beta was the Washington level.
I looked at the E3 demos they've showed when it was first announced, and quite honestly I think that concept would've gotten boring pretty fast, I'm actually glad they went with this direction for Conviction.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Chaos Theory is a perfect game don't @ me

Chaos Theory OST is top 5 game soundtracks of all time.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Double Agent is the second-best SC game ... if you can get your hands on the Xbox version.

Yeah I was searching the whole day online, I didn't know that original Xbox emulators are not a thing, I'm supposing it's not BC for the X, maybe I could hunt down a copy? I played through the first mission of the ps2 version, it's definitely better, but I want to play through the original Xbox version.

Red5

Oct 27, 2017
Good write up OP. Got me nostalgic for the series.

Started playing the first one again on PS3 with the HD collection. The port is...not good, frame rate all over the place. But the gameplay still holds up at least. I still remember being blown away by the lighting. Those god rays!

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
Never played much of the SC franchise, but my friends and I played a ton of the Double Agent multiplayer demo. It was just one map you could play over and over again, and my friend got crazy good at Mercs to the point that he could easily take on 3 Spies by himself. I'd be super excited to play with the next iteration of Spies v Mercs.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Never played much of the SC franchise, but my friends and I played a ton of the Double Agent multiplayer demo. It was just one map you could play over and over again, and my friend got crazy good at Mercs to the point that he could easily take on 3 Spies by himself. I'd be super excited to play with the next iteration of Spies v Mercs.
I spent a lot of time playing Blacklist's multiplayer, it's crazy fun...to bad you can't find that many players today in the lobbies...
Good write up OP. Got me nostalgic for the series.

Started playing the first one again on PS3 with the HD collection. The port is...not good, frame rate all over the place. But the gameplay still holds up at least. I still remember being blown away by the lighting. Those god rays!
Yeah, nostalgia was a huge factor that made me replay the whole series, I just wanted to see how the games hold up now that I'm older, still my favorite series!

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I adore Chaos Theory and love Blacklist, but I also defend Conviction. It's not a great stealth game, but it's a funny little, zippy action game. Reminded me a lot of the Wanted game by GRIN back on 360. I liked how it flowed, but I'm still glad it went back to its roots.

I'm in the camp that the series should just reboot from the ground up, story-wise. Or make new characters and let Ironside be a retired, advisor Sam Fischer.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I adore Chaos Theory and love Blacklist, but I also defend Conviction. It's not a great stealth game, but it's a funny little, zippy action game. Reminded me a lot of the Wanted game by GRIN back on 360. I liked how it flowed, but I'm still glad it went back to its roots.

I'm in the camp that the series should just reboot from the ground up, story-wise. Or make new characters and let Ironside be a retired, advisor Sam Fischer.
Ubisoft is in the perfect spot story wise to have Sam take over Lambert's part as a mission adviser or head of Fourth Echelon, I think hardly anyone would mind, I would actually be really happy if they did that, hand the field work torch to someone else, they kinda hinted at that possibility with Briggs. Ah man I really hope we'll get a worthy new entry. (please Santa)

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
double agent is like my favorite in the series and i've played all save the first two
great write up tho
i do hope ubi does this series justice. they already have enough open world stuff just stick to basics on this one

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This thread inspired me to play Chaos Theory. Had it from a humble bundle a long time ago, it's my first Splinter Cell game. I expected to play a mission or two and lose interest but I ended up playing it for 6 hours straight. Just got to Hakkaido. I love it, the soundtrack is fantastic, the stealth is satisfying, and it looks amazingly good for an Xbox game running at 4k60. Can't wait to finish it over the next couple days.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
This thread inspired me to play Chaos Theory. Had it from a humble bundle a long time ago, it's my first Splinter Cell game. I expected to play a mission or two and lose interest but I ended up playing it for 6 hours straight. Just got to Hakkaido. I love it, the soundtrack is fantastic, the stealth is satisfying, and it looks amazingly good for an Xbox game running at 4k60. Can't wait to finish it over the next couple days.
You're in for a treat man, enjoy it as much as you can.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Blacklist deserves more recognition from fans. It's actually a fantastic game that i think wasn't fairly judged due to Ironside not voicing Sam and that mocked E3 demo.

I recently was thinking about reinstalling and saw that I spent 60+ hours with that game somehow. Just incredibly fun.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Nonononono, you want to play the Xbox original or PlayStation 2 version. It was made by the same team who made Chaos Theory. In other words, it's the true sequel Chaos Theory deserves. The HD version was developed by an entirely different team (and was poorly recieved) Hopefully it will eventually be available on Xbox One via the backwards compatibility program.
Not only that, the Xbox/PS2 version had a completely different missions that were much better and more fleshed out than the 360 version.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The arguments about the green lights really annoys me.

They lights are infrared lights that can be picked up, not by the naked eye, but by a camera.

So just like lenses flares, depth of field, chromatic aberration etc, it is merely an effect in a game seeking filmic properties.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I just downloaded Splinter Cell Conviction since it was the free XBLG game of July.

Now I only had about fifteen minutes to boot it up and check it out, but one thing really has turned me off. Why is my entire game in black and white, but changes to color. I understand that its telling you if someone see's you or not, but it completely ruins the visuals of my game. Is it really like that throughout the entire game?

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I just downloaded Splinter Cell Conviction since it was the free XBLG game of July.

Now I only had about fifteen minutes to boot it up and check it out, but one thing really has turned me off. Why is my entire game in black and white, but changes to color. I understand that its telling you if someone see's you or not, but it completely ruins the visuals of my game. Is it really like that throughout the entire game?
Trust me, it's certainly better than the orange/green light on Sam's back in Double Agent, that shit was totally unreliable (although they fixed it a bit in Blacklist). To answer your question, yes the night missions will go Black and White when you enter a dark area (they did this because you don't have NV googles to your disposal till maybe the last hour of the game), shame that it bothers you that much.

The arguments about the green lights really annoys me.

They lights are infrared lights that can be picked up, not by the naked eye, but by a camera.

So just like lenses flares, depth of field, chromatic aberration etc, it is merely an effect in a game seeking filmic properties.

I know, I just love joking about that :D
Not only that, the Xbox/PS2 version had a completely different missions that were much better and more fleshed out than the 360 version.

O played through the first Iceland mission on a ps2 emulator and already the game made more sense than the next gen version, but I really wish I could get my hands on the original XBox version....

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Trust me, it's certainly better than the orange/green light on Sam's back in Double Agent, that shit was totally unreliable (although they fixed it a bit in Blacklist). To answer your question, yes the night missions will go Black and White when you enter a dark area (they did this because you don't have NV googles to your disposal till maybe the last hour of the game), shame that it bothers you that much.

Well that was just my initial reaction from the extremely short time I played. Ill definitely give the game a chance.

Also, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer was some of the best experiences I had with online gaming, next to Halo and CS. Spy's vs Mercs on Cinema and Warehouse was just awesome.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread, a few weeks ago I watched a video talking about the entire series and rereviewing them I thought it was pretty well done.
I actually still need to finish chaos theory but I really love that ost.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Only played Double Agent (360 version), Conviction and Blacklist but I enjoyed my time with all of them. It's been too long between entries in the series and I'm hoping they have one set for 2019, or 2020 at the latest. They should make it cross-gen as a launch title for the next generation and blow people away, especially now that MGS is not around.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Was thinking of doing a run through of blacklist or even conviction in 4k since I have way better hardware since the last I've played. I enjoyed both a lot.