ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems that the OT doesn't want any sort of posts that even smell of spoiler-material, and most of us probably don't want to venture into the Spoiler Thread. Please post general impressions, feelings, vibes, epicness, annoyances, frustrations, here. Feel free to give ratings (so far), as these are your opinions and you will not be killed for having them. Stay safe.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking for info as to how long the game is for mainline and mainline plus side content (if there is any?)

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
We hereby dedicate this thread to.....informative content only haha.

I have basically stayed away from every other online outlet and social media platform as some of them are already rife with spoilers galore.

Sep 14, 2018
length of normal playthrough
I'll put in spoilers if for some reason people clicked this thread and don't want to know
It's hard to tell conclusively because people are finishing at different times but it seems a normal playthrough is between 26-30 hours.

I'll tag Pastel Melon, Strings and Kingsora in case they don't mind sharing their spoiler free impressions, but I think they were all quite positive.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
There are impressions in the spoiler thread, and most of them have been pretty positive. Presentation looks great outside of some strange low res textures here and there.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
It's been pretty good so far. Haven't played the original and that feels like a disservice since there seems to be a lot of things that hit better when you are familiar with the characters.

Playing in French with English subtitles (personality quirk) the voice acting is good. However the scripts are quite far apart. There has been a lot of localisation.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Is there post game? Super bosses? Being an action game I want something on the level of KH optional boss fights.

BarcaTheGreat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll put in spoilers if for some reason people clicked this thread and don't want to know
It's hard to tell conclusively because people are finishing at different times but it seems a normal playthrough is between 26-30 hours.

I'll tag Pastel Melon, Strings and Kingsora in case they don't mind sharing their spoiler free impressions, but I think they were all quite positive.
That seems
SHORTISH

May 17, 2018
that amount of time to beat this game feels perfect- God of War (2018) was around that and it was an introduction to a larger story too. I just hope the writing and all this expanded Midgar stuff holds up.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
I just wanna know if there is a substantial post game... And the quality of the quests and NPCs.

Playing Zero (trails series) right now and my standards may been raised a bit.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
Sorry for being late to the party and thanks for tagging (albeit I don't get notifications) – I am very tired from playing "two days" straight and my English is also bad when it comes to writing, so I hope you all can make sense from my mess:

- My "normal" playthrough was roughly 37 1/2 hours long – I tried to take everything with me, means: Mini-games, Side-Quests and "collectables" (including Materia, Weapons…). That said: my playlog tells me, that there is still things to do, I am not sure how long it'll take.

I would say, I did good for my "first try"!

- I can't comment on English voices, sorry but BE AWARE: if you play Japanese and do not understand the language, there are some after/in-battle banter that is not translated as well as some in-game scenes. I obviously can't tell more about it.

- The direction, tho, I personally like very much. It has an "Anime"-tone to it, which is shown through typically gestures and also facial expressions – some trope-y scenes. Not as much as an "full-on" Anime-Game like Persona 5 for example but it's a "JRPG" at it's core.

So if someone really dislikes that, I could see them finding the game kinda "cringey" at moments.

- There is lots of banter, if you know FFXV you know in which direction it kinda goes. I liked many of the characters, even the ones I was like "Well, could do without them" at first. Not everyone is super fleshed out but even side-characters have a nice feel to them. Again: the point above still stands. Some of them are very over-the-top, so I could see that people might dislike them.

They really nailed my personal aesthetic and style with them.

Sorry if that information is not really helpful but it does not help if I say that I loved almost everyone (YES, EVERYONE) to bits and pieces because it is so heavily based on my preferred way of story-telling and character-building

- The graphical style has it's issues. Hopefully the textures get "repaired" with a day-one patch – the character-models on the other hand look very handsome, cute and beautiful with lots of nice details. If you played the original and remember a few characters we haven't seen yet or not seen much: you are in for a treat!

With places it's a mixed bag – there were scenes/places which I found very pretty but some of them look dull? Not ugly or anything but the environment mostly wasn't something I would gush about. It serves its purpose and there are nice details here and there.

Sequences look gorgeous, I personally do dislike how liquid in pools/glasses etc. look. Maybe it's just me.

- Gameplay is… good for me, not the best. It's missing the option to customize your AI-partners a bit more, in my opinion. They did fine with me, never fucked up or anything but I also felt the need to "help" them to get the enemies faster done.

It's kind of easy to "over train" yourself. I played normal and did side-missions as well as some grinding; not excessively; but I could do most of the game pretty easy like that. On the other hand… two sections got me really hard but I think generally speaking: The game can be easy but I also see a lot of people that feel like there is "too much" going on, on the battle screen.

- Music is good, I also like the new old music (many don't) but I feel some of the new new tracks feel like odd ones out. Maybe it's because I already knew the rest of the OST and someone that doesn't won't even notice.

Very talented Japanese voice actors (beware: English subtitle are based of the English VO, so there are a few differences between what is said and what is displayed)

Some minor nit-picks:
- Too many instances in which I had to press triangle without it really making sense…
- If two (or more) characters are on a ladder or a narrow cliff, they clip ugly together
- Narrow spaces with Barret are generally unpleasant
- I had one bug (game froze)
- Why can't I simply "Retry" / "Restart" mini-games but instead have to give up and trigger the mini-game again?
- Why is it faster to fast travel with its fast travel "cinematic" than skipping the scene…?

Some major love-loves:
- The TURKs
- Cloud, Barret & Marlene Banter
- The Banter in general but especially those three in one scene!
- Besides the semi-last boss, I really like how cinematic the bosses are – some very cool new additions, the old one shine as well!
- Cloud
- CLOUD
- CLOOOOUD
- The side-quests, especially the "last ones" before the last act
- Many of the new elements & characters – even though I missed some of the cheesy scenes, they would feel super strange with that kind of graphic, so they changed things up for the better

The "eh":
- Some of the changes I don't deem necessary

The "bad":
- One of the additional bosses is just abysmal in my opinion

I'll answer questions, sorry I am bad at giving impressions, my head is full of Cloud!

Last edited:

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Sorry for being late to the party and thanks for tagging (albeit I don't get notifications) – I am very tired from playing "two days" straight and my English is also bad when it comes to writing, so I hope you all can make sense from my mess:

- My "normal" playthrough was roughly 37 1/2 hours long – I tried to take everything with me, means: Mini-games, Side-Quests and "collectables" (including Materia, Weapons…). That said: my playlog tells me, that there is still things to do, I am not sure how long it'll take.

- I can't comment on English voices, sorry but BE AWARE: if you play Japanese and do not understand the language, there are some after/in-battle banter that is not translated as well as some in-game scenes. I obviously can't tell more about it.

- The direction, tho, I personally like very much. It has an "Anime"-tone to it, which is shown through typically gestures and also facial expressions – some trope-y scenes. Not as much as an "full-on" Anime-Game like Persona 5 for example but it's a "JRPG" at it's core.

So if someone really dislikes that, I could see them finding the game kinda "cringey" at moments.

- There is lots of banter, if you know FFXV you know in which direction it kinda goes. I liked many of the characters, even the ones I was like "Well, could do without them" at first. Not everyone is super fleshed out but even side-characters have a nice feel to them. Again: the point above still stands. Some of them are very over-the-top, so I could see that people might dislike them.

Sorry if that information is not really helpful but it does not help if I say that I loved almost everyone (YES, EVERYONE) to bits and pieces because it is so heavily based on my preferred way of story-telling and character-building

- The graphical style has it's issues. Hopefully the textures get "repaired" with a day-one patch – the character-models on the other hand look very handsome, cute and beautiful with lots of nice details. If you played the original and remember a few characters we haven't seen yet or not seen much: you are in for a treat!

With places it's a mixed bag – there were scenes/places which I found very pretty but some of them look dull? Not ugly or anything but the environment mostly wasn't something I would gush about. It serves its purpose and there are nice details here and there.

Sequences look gorgeous, I personally do dislike how liquid in pools/glasses etc. look. Maybe it's just me.

- Gameplay is… good for me, not the best. It's missing the option to customize your AI-partners a bit more, in my opinion. They did fine with me, never fucked up or anything but I also felt the need to "help" them to get the enemies faster done.

It's kind of easy to "over train" yourself. I played normal and did side-missions as well as some grinding; not excessively; but I could do most of the game pretty easy like that. On the other hand… two sections got me really hard but I think generally speaking: The game can be easy but I also see a lot of people that feel like there is "too much" going on, on the battle screen.

- Music is good, I also like the new old music (many don't) but I feel some of the new new tracks feel like odd ones out. Maybe it's because I already knew the rest of the OST and someone that doesn't won't even notice.

Very talented Japanese voice actors (beware: English subtitle are based of the English VO, so there are a few differences between what is said and what is displayed)

Some minor nit-picks:
- Too many instances in which I had to press triangle without it really making sense…
- If two (or more) characters are on a ladder or a narrow cliff, they clip ugly together
- Why can't I simply "Retry" / "Restart" mini-games but instead have to give up and trigger the mini-game again?
- Why is it faster to fast travel with its fast travel "cinematic" than skipping the scene…?

Some major love-loves:
- The TURKs
- Besides the semi-last boss, I really like how cinematic the bosses are – some very cool new additions, the old one shine as well!
- Cloud
- CLOUD
- CLOOOOUD
- Many of the new elements & characters – even though I missed some of the cheesy scenes, they would feel super strange with that kind of graphic, so they changed things up for the better

The "eh":

The "bad":

I'll answer questions, sorry I am bad at giving impressions, my head is full of Cloud!

Thank you for the impressions. I hope for part 2 they improve for the best.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017

Some minor nit-picks:

Some major love-loves:
- The TURKs
- Cloud
- CLOUD
- CLOOOOUD

The "eh":

The "bad":

That sounds very promising!
one good thing about releasing the game as three parts is that they can really refine any weaknesses in the first part or develop the gameplay systems and whatnot.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
About 10 hours in and I'm feeling extremely positive so far

Tbh in many ways it's the best mainline Final Fantasy since the PS1 days or FFX pretty easily for me (NOT played FFXIV)...and I actually LOVE FF12 & FF13...so this is high praise...not just something I would say easily.
It's not as ambitious as Final Fantasy 12 was in scope for its time. But in most other departments especially cutscenes/story (helps that the base is FF7...but a lot of new stuff really hits the heartstrings) it excels anything else.

The presentation is top notch and I am glad. A lot of the excellent polish reminds me of FF13 (which if I play chapter 12...eden's siege...still looks like some sort of game from the PS5 era due to the amazing presentation lol)...as a large portion of the team making it is the FF13 team it makes sense.

Cutscene direction is stellar. Some really interesting composition of shots. It has a real cinematic flair. Definitely feels like Toriyama's influence as he is a great cutscene director (NOT a good writer...but luckily Nojima has delivered in spades).

Battle system - is really amazing. Seems like the perfect mix of FF13 and kingdom hearts combat I've always dreamed of.

Music is incredible. New stuff is great too but I dunno if it fits well with FF7 tbh.

Characters - The writing and characterisations exceed all expectations for me. Everyone has way more screen time even minor characters and added layers of depth. Bravo.

Nov 13, 2017

Some minor nit-picks:

Some major love-loves:
- The TURKs
- Cloud
- CLOUD
- CLOOOOUD

The "eh":

The "bad":

About 10 hours in and I'm feeling extremely positive so far

Tbh in many ways it's the best mainline Final Fantasy since the PS1 days or FFX pretty easily for me (NOT played FFXIV)...and I actually LOVE FF12 & FF13...so this is high praise...not just something I would say easily.
It's not as ambitious as Final Fantasy 12 was in scope for its time. But in most other departments especially cutscenes/story (helps that the base is FF7...but a lot of new stuff really hits the heartstrings) it excels anything else.

The presentation is top notch and I am glad. A lot of the excellent polish reminds me of FF13 (which if I play chapter 12...eden's siege...still looks like some sort of game from the PS5 era due to the amazing presentation lol)...as a large portion of the team making it is the FF13 team it makes sense.

Cutscene direction is stellar. Some really interesting composition of shots. It has a real cinematic flair. Definitely feels like Toriyama's influence as he is a great cutscene director (NOT a good writer...but luckily Nojima has delivered in spades).

Battle system - is really amazing. Seems like the perfect mix of FF13 and kingdom hearts combat I've always dreamed of.

Music is incredible. New stuff is great too but I dunno if it fits well with FF7 tbh.

Characters - The writing and characterisations exceed all expectations for me. Everyone has way more screen time even minor characters and added layers of depth. Bravo.

Thanks for posting these!

OP
OP
ultima786

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds really good so far. Universally the only negative i'm seeing is some texture problems in a couple of chapters. It has to be fixed in day 1 patch.... maybe they couldn't fit everything on the two disks, or didn't get it to it during crunch?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Beyond "game good", one of the best parts of what I've played so far (I'm still early) is being able to just look up while playing in the slums and see the plates and the structure of Midgar above you. It really helps to reinforce the world and let you get to grips with the city's scale and design more than the original game ever could.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
25-30 hours for critical path sounds perfect for me. So many games to play, 30+ I start to get anxious at the time investment.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any exploration involved in this game? I mean is there a hub like area or is it more like a FFXIII linear style? Can you revisit areas?

Also is there any character customization involved in terms of changing outfits etc?

Thanks

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Having blast so far, the character relations is so good. Gameplay is really solid and fun. And pleased to see there is so much story in this game. They really did FF7 justice. And the music o my god.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
About 12 hours in. Loving it so far. The characters are fantastically depicted. The pace is good, some quite frenetic moments and the music is awesome. The only thing that bugs me is that sometimes the environments look great, and some others, the textures look bad, like really really bad. I hope this is just an issue that can be patched on day 1.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
15 hours in and very much enjoying it so far. My biggest worry was the characters not being faithful to how they really were in the game, but I think they've more or less nailed it. Most of the extra additions have been good. My only real issue is that the pacing feels a bit off at times. Each segment seems to maybe slightly outstay its welcome.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Is there any exploration involved in this game? I mean is there a hub like area or is it more like a FFXIII linear style? Can you revisit areas?

Also is there any character customization involved in terms of changing outfits etc?

Thanks
There is some exploration, but nothing too crazy so far. The game is pretty linear but it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy XIII at all. There are secondary missions too.
As far as I've seen, the only thing that you can change of the look of the characters are the weapons.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019

Thanks
The chapters are set around certain areas, to some extent you can move between them. The game is setting the tempo a lot for you when you arrive in a new place, I was even a bit annoyed since I wanted to just take my time and really soak it in.

The areas are a bit like labyrinths, basically corridors that doubles back and with some shortcuts and verticality. The exploration is kind of like bloodborne but the level design is not as nifty and you can only go between one or two areas. I'm 15 hours into the game.

So far I've only been able to change materia and weapons.
Haven't played XIII but those who have seems to think they are very similar.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
About 17 hours in myself now and it's fantastic, for the most part. My only issues are the weird texture issues (which are still far removed from Lightning Returns' simular issues and seem more like bugs than anything) and one or two seemingly minor plot points. Everything else has been stellar and fleshed out the world and characters in a way I didn't really realize I wanted until now. It gets all of the characters' quirks, too. This ain't the Advent Children stale bread cast.

Also the exploration is the right balance of linear and open, IMO. I'd appreciate less obvious corridors, but I figure that's a system limitation more than anything. Despite doing all the side quests it has rarely felt over-long, and I'm glad there are basically no "Kill X Monsters" quests lacking narrative hooks, outside of the background challenges that are more of a fun guide to keep you creatively mixing things up.

The normal difficulty ain't easy, that's for sure. Died more than a few times due to my load-outs, but retrying is simple enough with a bunch of options.

I also love the dub, it's mostly the incidental characters who are awkwardly acted. Then again apparently I'm immune to the "anime dub" so much of this site hates for whatever reason.

Beyond "game good", one of the best parts of what I've played so far (I'm still early) is being able to just look up while playing in the slums and see the plates and the structure of Midgar above you. It really helps to reinforce the world and let you get to grips with the city's scale and design more than the original game ever could.

Agreed with this, I've always loved Midgar but for the first time I feel I "get" the geography of it.

JesterLaughs

Banned
Apr 1, 2020
I'm only a few hours in but I absolutely love it, the game hits the action from the get go.

beautiful cinematics and music. The battle system I really enjoy As they have combined the best of both worlds and offer a classic mode.

the only critic I have so far is some of the cut scenes with none story line characters change the tone in to what I can only discribe as Japan anime style, with the voices/emotions and music Change. Quite jarring sometimes

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
There is some exploration, but nothing too crazy so far. The game is pretty linear but it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy XIII at all. There are secondary missions too.
As far as I've seen, the only thing that you can change of the look of the characters are the weapons.
The chapters are set around certain areas, to some extent you can move between them. The game is setting the tempo a lot for you when you arrive in a new place, I was even a bit annoyed since I wanted to just take my time and really soak it in.

The areas are a bit like labyrinths, basically corridors that doubles back and with some shortcuts and verticality. The exploration is kind of like bloodborne but the level design is not as nifty and you can only go between one or two areas. I'm 15 hours into the game.

So far I've only been able to change materia and weapons.
Haven't played XIII but those who have seems to think they are very similar.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am kinda bummed that the game is so linear. I am not a fan of open world games, but I am a fan of a semi open design like God of War. FFVII feels like it is like you say a FFXIII but with much better execution. This is not ofcourse a reason for me not to play the game, far from it, but I certainly am disappointed that I can not go out of my way to explore new areas and secrets. Exploration was a big thing in Final Fantasies (bar XIII) and this is one of the reasons why I fell in love with these games.

Thanks again.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What I really want to know:

Does the end of the game feel satisfying, as if a sequel should come, or abrupt, as if the game is incomplete?

Oct 30, 2017

Some people were finishing the game at 40 and 50 hours though. I have yet to see anyone say under 30, but I'm also not looking very hard. Have you been watching play throughs of the game?

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I barely made out of Chapter 4 but up until now it's going beyond my expectations. While the game is more linear that what i would have hoped, all the additions to the scenario and characters, the fantastic music, engaging characters interactions and banters, makes all up for it. It's one of hell of a ride and bigger in scope and ambition than what I expected them to do with the original source and material. Also it's pretty obvious how everyone big involved in the development gave it all to make it as best as possibile, you can feel it.

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
Finished chapter 8 and it's exceeded all of my expectations. I hear the ending is pissing a lot of people off but the journey to get there at least is fantastic

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be honest I am very mixed. The game gets carried on nostalgia, but if this wasn't a remake of my favourite game of all time im not really sure I would like it. It's very linear so far and combat feels like a mixed bag. Sometimes it's great but sometimes, especially with multiple enemies on screen, it just feels like I get bombarded from all sides without a clear indication I could've blocked or dodged it. This game needed a god of war style red flash indicator and also an instant block and dodge. Maybe it gets better, I'm just at chapter 8.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Finished chapter 8 and it's exceeded all of my expectations. I hear the ending is pissing a lot of people off but the journey to get there at least is fantastic
I am at chapter 8 right now and I have a question. Are you seeing these kind of things? I don't know if this is a bug or what but is making the experience worse by moments...
cTBzf83.jpg
9EWDOLJ.jpg
eTG8vDl.jpg

I'm reinstalling just now. I hope it is just a glitch...

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am at chapter 8 right now and I have a question. Are you seeing these kind of things? I don't know if this is a bug or what but is making the experience worse by moments...
cTBzf83.jpg
9EWDOLJ.jpg
eTG8vDl.jpg

I'm reinstalling just now. I hope it is just a glitch...
I believe this is part of the "incompelte textures" complaints. The hope is it gets fixed with the day one patch.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a moment where you are above the surface trying to get into a reactor, and you can see Midgar below the plate and the background is absolutely hideous. Like, I laughed so hard for five whole ass minutes and you constantly see it because you're constantly walking through construction infrastructure. It's not even made to look a bit like 3D, it's a flat 2D picture of the plate below

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
- Midgar is beautiful. Sector 7 with his setting, the plate, and the pillar is great. It's less depressing and much more brighter than the original, just different for the atmosphere.
- I was on team Aeris back in the 1997, this time around think I'm going with Tifa. I like how in this version she cares for Cloud as a friend and their dynamic has more realism. I like her a lot.
- Cloud: still different from the original game but not as emo as in Advent Children. I like this new characterization.
- Great job with the remixed soundtrack: doesn't sound too much orchestrated and still have some game-y quality. Good use of the tracks as well.
- Sephiroth design: in the game looks more similar to the original design than the Advent Children One.
- I like how characters and faces look expressive.
- Something went wrong with Barret.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
I finished up the game last night so i'll give some impressions.
-The Game looks stunning most of the time some textures definitely need to be fix but i'm sure that will be addressed in the day 1 patch but i don't think the will fix a few of the backgrounds looking like damn bitmaps.
-Music is amazing
-The new story additions i have mixed opinions about.
-It is very Linear but that's not a bad thing as certain areas do open up for side quests so you can explore around a little bit.
-Side quests are your typical JRPG sorta side quest (go to x area and kill x)
-I finished my First play through doing all the side stuff and extras in around 30-31 hours this includes some idle time.
-Some cinematics are down right gorgeous.
-All the characters feel very well written and Faithful to their originals. Barret being my favorite in the remake.
-The game really opens up combat wise when you get more weapon abilities.
-All the playable characters feel unique and they all feel useful in there own way

If there's anything else anyone wants to ask about my impressions feel free to ask away.