• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
We all know the NFL has been a complete failure in this category.

NASCAR has shown they are at least trying.

I was flipping channels and stopped to watch some soccer. Looks like women's soccer here in the US is actually trying too. Enjoying watching this game between North Carolina and Portland.

What other sports have been a complete failure, that you have seen, and which ones are actually trying to support things getting better?

I'm curious about local teams in this country and around the world.

mvimg_20200627_134942ftj0i.jpg

mvimg_20200627_135157dyjxl.jpg

img_20200627_135023_exyjxo.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That it took so many of them until 2020 to recognize BLM makes it hard for me to give them any credit and frankly in a lot of cases comes across disingenuous to me. They are literally doing the least they can do in a lot of cases, and only because public sentiment has dragged them towards progress, as it so often does.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
i'm so proud of NWSL for putting this out in front of the US audience. I know women's soccer still isn't that big but considering the USA's place in the women's soccer world I hope that more take notice.

edit- and yes this took too long to happen in every league but i am still glad it's happening.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
That it took so many of them until 2020 to recognize BLM makes it hard for me to give them any credit and frankly in a lot of cases comes across disingenuous to me. They are literally doing the least they can do in a lot of cases, and only because public sentiment has dragged them towards progress, as it so often does.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The EPL has had all player names replaced by Black Lives Matter on the players shirts, with many clubs donating the cost of having shirts printed with BLM to BLM related charities.

All players kneel at every kick off, with POC usually making some form of Black power fist gesture.

EPL broadcasters also pops up a message supporting BLM at 8:46 in every match, and the commentary widely and explicitly makes positive references to the importance of BLM throughout the match.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
NBA in part. Ownership is dubious at best but many players and coaches have spoken out.

The EPL has had all player names replaced by Black Lives Matter on the players shirts, with many clubs donating the cost of having shirts printed with BLM to BLM related charities.

All players kneel at every kick off, with POC usually making some form of Black power fist gesture.

EPL broadcasters also pops up a message supporting BLM at 8:46 in every match, and the commentary widely and explicitly makes positive references to the importance of BLM throughout the match.

I am a massive EPL/soccer fan but until recently these leagues, UEFA and FIFA haven't done much to curtail racism and bigotry by the fans. I will concede that the whole say no to racism campaign was better than most other sports. That is not to say we shouldn't acknowledge their BLM support currently. I am just dubious of their overall support.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Exactly what I'm thinking. This show of support should've at least started when Kaepernick started to kneel.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Formula One has the 'We Race as One' initiative.

www.google.co.uk

Formula 1 launches #WeRaceAsOne initiative to help fight challenges of COVID-19 and global inequality | Formula 1®

On the eve of the new F1 season, Formula 1 has launched the #WeRaceAsOne initiative, aimed at tackling the biggest issues facing the sport and global communities – the fight against COVID-19 and the condemnation of racism and inequality.

And of course, Lewis Hamilton the reigning World Champion is fighting for the cause.

lewishamilton-696x509.jpg

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

I think the distinction being made here is that finally Sports orgs as a whole are allowing their players to be upfront and vocal about things?

Just using OP's example but the players of the USWNT have loooong been advocates for pretty much every just cause in this country.

US Soccer banned taking a knee 3 years ago when Rapinoe did it in solidarity and they've since reversed that stance.

So while you're not wrong just keep in mind it's not like players themselves have waited this long

OP
OP
Landy828

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Didn't realize it, but apparently this is the first major league professional game/US sport to resume playing in the US.

Last edited:

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Like the Premier League, all players in the North Carolina/Portland game, including substitutes, knelt after the opening whistle.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're playing catch up this point

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

I don't know, I think NASCAR deserves some credit.