Votes: 469 59.1%
  • Gex 3D: Enter the Gecko

Votes: 28 3.5%

• Total voters

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
In 1998 3 different companies released games pioneering the then new sub-genre, the collect-athon. These were games that leaned toward being platformers but were closer to being sandbox style adventure games, where collecting items was the core focus of their gameplay and content, and was instrumental in being able to progress through each title spawning a lot of clones and imitators.

Which collection pioneer do you think was the best, and what did you like about it that the others lacked?

Spyro The Dragon 1 (PS1)
103597-spyro-the-dragon-playstation-front-cover.jpg

7cbde34c094d941697e778bb62989f70691f4a5e.gifv

Banho-Kazooie (N64)
69821-banjo-kazooie-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg

1247895148148534595.gif

Gex 3D Enter the Gecko (PS1 & N64 & WIN95/98)
258740-gex-enter-the-gecko-playstation-front-cover.png

tumblr_n6penysa9H1rbijdfo3_r1_250.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Banjo-Kazooie is one of my all time favorite games, so that. Spyro is pretty good. Gex 2 is honestly incredibly frustrating to play, having revisited it recently. It's worse than Gex 3 in every appreciable regard.

With Banjo, I think they hit the perfect balance on the worlds being big enough to run around and explore, but dense enough that you never felt there was a lot of deadspace. Between the music, visuals, and general atmosphere built by the game, it's a simply magical experience. Some iffy control and camera issues, but overall I still find it an absolute joy every time I replay it.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo is probably the best of the three by a longshot, and my favorite of the bunch. Spyro is really good too, although I wasn't as fond of it as much as Banjo. Gex is... pretty forgettable.

Oct 31, 2017
Of these games, I like Spyro the Dragon the best. I think it still holds up extremely well too, much better than the others. It has a timeless quality to it in how it plays and its art. Its soundtrack is basically peerless too, and at the very top for soundtracks in games.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly liked Spyro more, the movement was just more satisfying and Banjo has a problem because the series peaked with the first game and the sequel was god-awful.

Don't remember much about Gex. Need to give it another shot at some point. It's on my bucket list.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo has the most interesting levels, by far. The movement's nothing special, but the environments and theming are.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
I have a soft spot for Spyro, the first "open level" game that made you question what crazy world would be in the next portal. Really stretched the imagination.

The 1st time I went outside the "intended" level area in Stone Hill I was agast, thinking "what else will I question next?"

Fantastic game

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm shocked this is as close as it is, I always thought people greatly preferred the latter Spyro games while Banjo 1 is always held up by people.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
with each passing year i'm more confident that spyro is the best 3d platformer in history.
It still plays wonderfully, super fun, almost never frustrating unlike the other platformers of that time.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the latter two but not Gex. I don't even like Banjo all that much so it wouldn't be hard for Spyro to top it if I ever get around to playing it.

Nov 29, 2018
Banjo was probably the most fun and interesting, so that.

Spyro was my chillout game as a kid. Gex was more if I was in the mood for something a little different, but it probably aged the worst out of all three.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I didn't played Banjo as a child and couldn't get into it on Rare Replay, but the Spyro remaster was amazing. Never played Gex.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo is good until it ruins itself by having a board game quiz at the end but even without that I'd rather play Spyro. More fun and chill

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie and it's not even close. As much as I enjoyed the remakes of Spyro 1 & 2 (Never player the originals or 3) I don't ever see myself going back to them. Never played any of the Gex games, though.

Banjo on the other hand, I could break out at pretty much any time and have a blast, whether I've played it recently or not. Banjo, like Mario from 64, is just fun to run around/fly as. Not many 3D platformers have that kind of staying power in my eyes.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo is good until it ruins itself by having a board game quiz at the end but even without that I'd rather play Spyro. More fun and chill
I loved that quiz! The whole ending was so good.

I thought they pulled it off.

My answer is definitely Banjo. I didn't like the 2nd game but the first game was better than the other options in this thread.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
the hell is gex doing there

"whos the best striker ever pelé maradona or andy carroll"

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Gex is the weakest game, but it's not at all bad and gets plenty of bonus points by having the PAL version be clearly superior purely based on its voice acting.

Banjo is rad, but I've played Spyro a lot more over the years so nostalgia bias wins for me. Spyro also has Tree Tops, which is a bottom tier level to navigate until it finally clicks what to do (maybe with some external help) and getting everything provides a strange rush you don't normally get in a collectathon and jumps straight up to top tier. Can quite easily ditch Spyro's sequels though. But thankfully that's not a part of the question.

Yeah, man, agreed. The fuck has Maradona ever done?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I've never played Spyro (I should since I got the collection now) but Banjo Kazooie for me.

Gex was good but not as great Banjo Kazooie - loved the gameplay, difficulty and overall theme/levels.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The camera in Gex is too fucked up to even consider the game seriously.
Spyro is inoffensive but also kind of boring.
Banjo has too much stuff to collect.

I don't really like any of these.

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I think I played Gex most back in the day. I recently played the Spyro remasters and got the platinums for all of them. Had a great time, had only played some of the 1st back in the day. Banjo I played the 360 version first. I think maybe Banjo would be my choice, even though it isn't as nostalgic as Gex or Spyro for me.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Spyro.
I'm shocked this is as close as it is, I always thought people greatly preferred the latter Spyro games while Banjo 1 is always held up by people.
Reignited Spyro kinda puts all the Spyro trilogy onto a level playing field, and when Spyro 1 controls just as well as the other two games, it's kinda clearly the best one if you're looking for a focused platformer.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Banjo isn't fun to play nowadays unless you are used to that archaic control scheme, and outside of maybe some super hardcore platformer fans from the 90s and some Scott The Woz fans spouting the same meme every chance they get, nobody cares about Gex.

The original Spyro games are some of the greatest games ever made.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The entire Spyro trilogy is flawless. I replay all of them every couple of years. Some of the most chill games ever made. Just the right amount of stuff to collect without becoming overwhelming or frustrating. The music and the overall vibes are timeless.

Oct 25, 2017
my issue with Spyro is he controls weird. He just feels like he glides along the ground. Feels like he's actually static in place and the world moves around him instead of him being the one moving around the world. It's weird. Banjo controls so much better. Same with m64.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Spyro is a game I want to like but actually playing it and the levels just annoys me. Don't really like Banjo. I prefer the original Gex.

OP
OP
Fatal Nutritionist

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022

it was one of the pioneers of collecthathons, and was a huge well reviewed release that sold tons too.

Of course, whether it still holds up today in 2022 is a different question. Most would say no, and the poll seems to reflect that opinion here so far too. but it's doing better than I thought it would.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Banjo is the GOAT. With my avatar choice it really isn't a surprise.

I totally understand and respect anyone that selects Spyro 1. It's great but I'd prefer the remake to the PS1 original.

I definitely don't understand the Gex votes.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The entire Spyro trilogy is flawless. I replay all of them every couple of years. Some of the most chill games ever made. Just the right amount of stuff to collect without becoming overwhelming or frustrating. The music and the overall vibes are timeless.
If Banjo sequels can't bring the first game down then Spyro sequels can't bring the first game up.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it has to go to Banjo, Gex was never good and Spyro 1 has aged like milk compared to 2 and 3 because of the flawed controls and lacking level design - at best the stages are simple and lifeless and at worst they're actively annoying to play (Treetops anyone?). The bosses are pretty pathetic too.