MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think Spyro could outsell the N-Sane Trilogy. Crash sold better on the original Playstation but Spyro has more recognition among younger gamers, especially with Skylanders' success.
Spyro as a character has devalued in the Skylanders franchise with each entry. Plus the Skylanders franchise has been on the decline for the past few years.

Kids are moving on to Fortnite and other trends. They don't have any more or less interest in Spyro than they would Crash.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Spyro as a character has devalued in the Skylanders franchise with each entry. Plus the Skylanders franchise has been on the decline for the past few years.

Kids are moving on to Fortnite and other trends. They don't have any more or less interest in Spyro than they would Crash.
I tried selling a bunch of Skylanders toys I had over the years to various game shops (even the retro ones) and they wouldn't take them. They're completely worthless, probably better off throwing them out than anything else.

Wumpa fruit cameo that's pretty cute.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are there any rumors of this coming to switch at some point? Don't know if I should wait.
Wasn't it accidentally leaked in an european nintendo eshop? If crash is on the Switch, Spyro most certainly will be. Unsure of whether it will release alongside the other platforms or later on.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, I will miss the unintentional creepy elements these designs used to have on the PS1. Those jagged, kooky eyes always gave me chills as a kid.

I am curious how they'll translate the enemies in Dreamweavers. they were a disturbing looking pack of dudes:

latest
latest
latest

latest
latest
latest
Yeah some of the PS1 games were unintentionally reaching horror genre territories with those polygons, legit nightmares inducing stuff.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say, I will miss the unintentional creepy elements these designs used to have on the PS1. Those jagged, kooky eyes always gave me chills as a kid.

I am curious how they'll translate the enemies in Dreamweavers. they were a disturbing looking pack of dudes:

latest
latest
latest

latest
latest
latest

Seriously. Just look at that dude with the long arms. Absolutely terrifying. I remember being pretty damn scared of those spider enemies too. Good lord. Was a bit hard to get through as a kid. I hope they keep a little bit of that scare factor in the new designs.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
The Spyro account on Instagram posted this just a little bit ago. I think it's our first full look at G'nasty, and the first look at updated Ripto and the Queen.

Lmao that Ripto's gonna take some getting used to. Can't imagine his Spyro 2 voice coming out of that mouth! Sorceress and especially G'nasty look good personally. And I'm someone who always thought G'nasty looked pretty pathetic as a final boss so I', happy with what they've done with him here. Hopefully he plays a bigger role this time too.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhhh, the Sorceress looks a bit more cruel as she should and Gnasty definitely looks improved from the big goof he originally was (though that angle and being next to another similarly sized gnorc makes him seem a bit less imposing here than his new design lets on), but I really need to see Ripto in motion to make a good call lol.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get a super good look at the Sorceress, but I like both their drawn designs. The in-game models could end up looking radically different however.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I feel like they tried too hard to make him look like evil incarnate when's he's actually a goofy character. Gnasty and the Sorceress look cool though.

I disagree. I feel the redesign actually compliments him well, taking into account his original backstory. And I always felt Ripto and the Sorceress were never super threatening or intimidating in the original games either so I welcome the change.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but the old models of the characters have aged horrendously, and a direct translation would have been... not great. They're muppety at best, and a pinched mess of early PS1 geometry at worst.

Elora-The-Faun-elora-the-faun-26099190-639-428.png

9857395.png

Everyone is in need of a modern design pass, and Ripto looks better in almost every way. This gives me confidence in the liberties they're taking with the modern interpretations.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
As long as Moneybags is eminently punchable, I'm good. Like, don't make him look like Paddington or anything like that. I don't want to have conflicted feelings.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
My biggest worry with this and it being a meme on /v/ is that the character designers missed the mark on the villains.

The gnorcs look generic and gross in the remake while in the original they were a bit more cartoony and didnt have so much detail.

The egg thieves especially dont need a defined facial structure. Their face should be cloaked in darkness like on PS1. I get everybody wants the villains to be "indimiating" but its not Insomniac's style.

Look at Ratchet & Clank villains.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
My biggest worry with this and it being a meme on /v/ is that the character designers missed the mark on the villains.

The gnorcs look generic and gross in the remake while in the original they were a bit more cartoony and didnt have so much detail.

The egg thieves especially dont need a defined facial structure. Their face should be cloaked in darkness like on PS1. I get everybody wants the villains to be "indimiating" but its not Insomniac's style.

Look at Ratchet & Clank villains.
Yea I don't get the point about them not being intimidating when they weren't supposed to be in the first place. None of the characters in the game took Ripto seriously, he was a dunce and so were his minions.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Yea I don't get the point about them not being intimidating when they weren't supposed to be in the first place. None of the characters in the game took Ripto seriously, he was a dunce and so were his minions.

1526606903919.jpg

I just dont understand stuff like this. The Crash Trilogy did as good of a job as possible to keep the designs closely to the original games.

Doesnt remind me of Spyro at all.

1526658071658.jpg

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I had to make a sweeping generalization of the weak point of the redesigns, of why they don't feel like Spyro, is the eyes. Spyro characters always had huge eyes, even relative to other games of the day, so the modernization of the design language overall has downplayed that distinctive quirk

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
As long as Moneybags is eminently punchable, I'm good. Like, don't make him look like Paddington or anything like that. I don't want to have conflicted feelings.
Spyro 3 100% Spoiler
Chasing him down and burning his butt then getting back EVERY SINGLE GEM you gave him throughout the game was insanely satisfying

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm actually pretty excited about this since I never played the Spyro games due to not owning a PlayStation. I feel like I missed out. And the Crash Trilogy was fun, though frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
Spyro 3 100% Spoiler
Chasing him down and burning his butt then getting back EVERY SINGLE GEM you gave him throughout the game was insanely satisfying
Agreed, it was such a left-field twist to let you do that and easily became one of my favorite moments of comeuppance in gaming.

Speaking of gems, they look fantastic in the trilogy. I always loved how appealing they looked in the original games, like candy waiting to be collected. I wasn't a fan of the foggy realistic gems in the Crash trilogy and was worried they'd be too modernized in Spyro as well, but it looks like the got them just right.

Oct 25, 2017

Surprisingly there wasn't much hoopla about Spyro at the Sony conference, but there was a little footage of the floor demo which had Toasty and Tree Tops playable.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those loading screens better just be due to the demo only, I need my screens of Spyro flying between the stages.

I also wish the Gem Counter numbers span around when counting up. If I recall though, wasn't that only in Spyro 1? Sorta wish the whole series had it and the Trilogy would have been a good chance to do so.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, and I thought the N-Sane Trilogy looked good. This makes that look so much worse in comparison. Toys for Bob nailed Spyro. I'm even fine with the enemy designs. Only thing I've been iffy on so far is Ripto.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
My memory's a bit foggy on the first Spyro game. Was it considered the more difficult of the three, or did that look harder than it should have been due to Bossman's fuckery?

Oct 25, 2017
My memory's a bit foggy on the first Spyro game. Was it considered the more difficult of the three, or did that look harder than it should have been due to Bossman's fuckery?

Spyro 1 has its difficult moments most due to some very fast enemies with wonky hitboxes, and the dogs in Toasty are definitely one of those moments. That being said, the person playing it was also playing a bit poorly.

It's probably not too much of a stretch to say it was the hardest based on its controls and enemy design alone though, though the later games do have some more challenging tasks to complete.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Spyro 1 has its difficult moments most due to some very fast enemies with wonky hitboxes, and the dogs in Toasty are definitely one of those moments. That being said, the person playing it was also playing a bit poorly.

It's probably not too much of a stretch to say it was the hardest based on its controls and enemy design alone though, though the later games do have some more challenging tasks to complete.

Ah, makes sense; falls in line with the first Crash game being the more difficult one for me as well (sign of the times perhaps).

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The dogs in Toasty were always a little on the tricky end, mainly for requiring 2 Flames to take out, it's one of the few instances in the entire game the roll was good (the Roll that only existed in the first game and was removed in later Spyro's), Toasty himself is fairly basic in comparison to the dogs (Though the feels like the point since it's literally just a sheep dressed up as a Shephard)

Treetops is the games "Slippery Climb" Equivalent (Or up there, I recall Twilight Harbour and Haunted Towers being the hardest in the game). It's pretty darn hard.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The enemies in the tree tops used to be some sort of tribes men, right? They changed them to monkeys. I'm not sure how to feel about that.
Is it more or less racist to redesign black tribesmen as monkeys?

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really love how this game looks, except for how warm the color palette is sometimes. It almost looks like it's being played through an Instagram filter or something. Apart from that though, it's gorgeous and I can't wait to get my hands on it in September.