• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
So... As I'm trying to play FF14 again (I tried the Beta in 2014), mostly because of how insanely praised Shadowbringers is, I... I fucking give up.

This is the dumbest fucking shit ever!

So, what happened? I tried to restore my password for the Beta-account that I had initially linked to my PSN account (I still have the "confirmation" email, it's absolutely the right email adress) - And I get a message telling me the email adress isn't associated with any Square Enix account...

In a final desperate attempt to play the game, I change the email adress of my PSN account, I create a new Square Enix account with said email adress, I restart the whole game, hoping to see my new ID pop up, but nope... Still the old ID, linked to an email adress the SE account doesn't recognize anymore...

5ItR.gif

How the fuck can this shit even still be a problem?!

I haven't seen a clear solution to this yet. I'm assuming I'm not alone in facing these types of issues with a SE account?

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
It's kind of dumb though I have had pretty good help from SE live chat support getting my account info back. They are closed on the weekends though so you would have to wait until tomorrow.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Wasn't FFXIV account seperate from Square-Enix account anyways?

I remember wanting to try it again, and struggled with the password. I think in the end I need to logon with account name, not email.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Emails in SE's XIV account system are case sensitive. The PS4 also often capitalizes the first letter of what you're typing. Have you tried resetting the password for "[email protected]" instead of "[email protected]"? Check specifically where the confirmation email was sent (including capitialization)

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Ya...its pretty convoluted. I tried the FF14 demo a few years agao and had to create an account, now it's my main SE account with no way to change it so that I can log into the site like normal for the Avengers stuff...I always have to use the FF14 icon\login.

Wasn't FFXIV account seperate from Square-Enix account anyways?

I remember wanting to try it again, and struggled with the password. I think in the end I need to logon with account name, not email.

No, it's all tied together I believe. Your FF14 account is your SE account.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
It is really confusing, I'm pretty sure I still have to use my FFXIV login despite making a proper umbrella account because of... reasons.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Emails in SE's XIV account system are case sensitive. The PS4 also often capitalizes the first letter of what you're typing. Have you tried resetting the password for "[email protected]" instead of "[email protected]"? Check specifically where the confirmation email was sent (including capitialization)

This is what I was going to suggest. Last year when I jumped back in, this was my issue.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Ya...its pretty convoluted. I tried the FF14 demo a few years agao and had to create an account, now it's my main SE account with no way to change it so that I can log into the site like normal for the Avengers stuff...I always have to use the FF14 icon\login.

No, it's all tied together I believe. Your FF14 account is your SE account.
Square Enix Members and the XI/XIV account system are two seperate account systems, although you can log into Square Enix Members with an XI/XIV account

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It doesn't help that the UX on their site is ridiculously horrendous on top of the site itself looking like it hasn't been updated since the mid 2000s.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's dire, and utterly pointless if it doesn't have cross-play or cross-progression

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
It wasn't capitalized...šŸ˜”
Just tried again and I get the following message:

"An e-mail has already been sent to this e-mail adress. If you would like to send another e-mail, please wait at least 24 hours before trying again".

Besides, I got an email from them specifically telling me that my email adress wasn't associated to any of their SE-accounts...

Yeah, no. They can fuck right off!

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
It wasn't capitalized...šŸ˜”
Just tried again and I get the following message:

"An e-mail has already been sent to this e-mail adress. If you would like to send another e-mail, please wait at least 24 hours before trying again".

Besides, I got an email from them specifically telling me that my email adress wasn't associated to any of their SE-accounts...

Yeah, no. They can fuck right off!
Are you trying to log into Square Enix Members instead of the XIV account system? They're two seperate systems, having an account on one doesn't necessarily mean you have an account on the other, nor that they're linked in any way

What page are you using to reset your password? This one? Or this one? The former is the one you want to be using

Also, if no one told you yet, you can't use your old account to play the free trial, since playing the beta locks you out of the free trial for some god damn reason

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't play the PC version of FF7 I bought for a while because I didn't receive my activation email after creating an account.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I just made a new account because I only previously played the PS3 beta and didn't remember my password or secruity questions.

Anyway as I forgot which email was my main account recently I actually got access back to that old PS3 beta account when I recently swapped out my HDD and had to reinstall FF14.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly didn't know these problems were this widespread.

It's somewhat soothing to know that I'm not the only one affected. I don't even know if I can muster the willpower to try and fix this anymore.

I really wanted to play the game and this just completely soured it for me.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was having similar issues with the Avenger's beta, but I think it was because their severs were being hit hard. I can see it having all those issues again on the fourth when the game comes out and there are non beta players and people that forgot their passwords.

It took ages to get an email on the first address I used, but for some reason the third address I used to try and sign up (thinking it was a provider thing) got an email relatively quickly.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god yeah. I was trying to preorder something from their shop last year, and it wouldn't let me log in even though I was certain I had the right username/password combo, so I tried to reset it only I still couldn't log in even with a reset password, and finally I somehow ended up on an entirely different page with an entirely different log-in??? where my username/pass did work. After like 30 minutes of fucking around on the site trying to figure out wtf was going on.
I think one is like... store side account vs XIV account? But I'm pretty sure I used to be able to log in through the store directly in the past, and that it only became so gd convoluted after they had their weird site merge thing happen a couple years back. Like, it's not as though their site was especially great before then but now it's just a complete disaster and I hate whenever I need to access it. -__-

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Are you trying to log into Square Enix Members instead of the XIV account system? They're two seperate systems, having an account on one doesn't necessarily mean you have an account on the other, nor that they're linked in any way

What page are you using to reset your password? This one? Or this one? The former is the one you want to be using

Also, if no one told you yet, you can't use your old account to play the free trial, since playing the beta locks you out of the free trial for some god damn reason
The former... šŸ˜£

Oh, fucking great. They're idiots, that's why...

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I never knew so many people had problems with their accounts there. Still have mine from the FF14 Beta working just fine.

Account issues like these suck.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think they had two different account systems or something and then... I don't know. Their whole system is fucked. Like, when I try to log into the Square Enix store, it makes me log in using a Final Fantasy XI/XIV account even though I haven't played Final Fantasy XI since like...
Oh my god yeah. I was trying to preorder something from their shop last year, and it wouldn't let me log in even though I was certain I had the right username/password combo, so I tried to reset it only I still couldn't log in even with a reset password, and finally I somehow ended up on an entirely different page with an entirely different log-in??? where my username/pass did work. After like 30 minutes of fucking around on the site trying to figure out wtf was going on.
I think one is like... store side account vs XIV account? But I'm pretty sure I used to be able to log in through the store directly in the past, and that it only became so gd convoluted after they had their weird site merge thing happen a couple years back. Like, it's not as though their site was especially great before then but now it's just a complete disaster and I hate whenever I need to access it. -__-
Yeah, this was my exact problem. Missed out on a pre-order bonus because of it.

And THEN, once you're logged into the store with your Square-Enix account instead of the store account, you can muck about in your (store) account settings and I was trying to change to a more secure password but no matter what I did my password change didn't take. Turns out it's because I don't really have a store account and I have a Square-Enix account that logs me into the store? Finally found out I had to log into the Square-Enix account site proper to change my password.

It's such a fucking mess. They need to merge those two accounts.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
The former... šŸ˜£

Oh, fucking great. They're idiots, that's why...
If you're 100% sure you're typing your email in the exact way that SE sent the confirmation email to, I have no more suggestions for you

You're gonna have to contact support, both about not being able to get into the account and to see what they can do about the whole "beta locking out of free trial" thing (I've heard of some people getting support to fix that, I don't have any personal experience with it though, I just made a new account)

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
If you're 100% sure you're typing your email in the exact way that SE sent the confirmation email to, I have no more suggestions for you

You're gonna have to contact support, both about not being able to get into the account and to see what they can do about the whole "beta locking out of free trial" thing (I've heard of some people getting support to fix that, I don't have any personal experience with it though, I just made a new account)
You still have my thanks for trying to help me resolve the issue!

It's mindboggling to me. I should be able to log in with any SE-ID. This should be simple, but it just isn't.

They really need to fix this!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Square Enix just can't do simple shit. Ive been suffering them since the PlayOnline days.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think they had two different account systems or something and then... I don't know. Their whole system is fucked. Like, when I try to log into the Square Enix store, it makes me log in using a Final Fantasy XI/XIV account even though I haven't played Final Fantasy XI since like...

Yeah, this was my exact problem. Missed out on a pre-order bonus because of it.

And THEN, once you're logged into the store with your Square-Enix account instead of the store account, you can muck about in your (store) account settings and I was trying to change to a more secure password but no matter what I did my password change didn't take. Turns out it's because I don't really have a store account and I have a Square-Enix account that logs me into the store? Finally found out I had to log into the Square-Enix account site proper to change my password.

It's such a fucking mess. They need to merge those two accounts.
Oh my god no friggin' wonder the password resetting never worked, what a dumb ass setup. Why they think that's a good idea, I will never understand. It's so confusing and counter intuitive that it actively repels you from even wanting to use their store at all. Smh it's so gd awful.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they actually have a disclaimer stating that beta players are not eligible for the free trial... new account and previously unused psn account or bust.
I made two new accounts to jump into the trial. I like the game, but just now found out I can't send friend requests or party up in the trial anyway soooooo... it's a baffling business decision. I can't imagine any new(ish) player (I consider having helped test servers over six years ago as new enough) ready to shell out money in order to play the game after this very restrictive experience.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I keep reading stuff like this, especially with the new trial going on. JUST CONTACT CUSTOMER SUPPORT!

I had an old SE account tied to my PSN ID. It was from a previous trial that I never actually ended up playing. Wanted to finally give FFXIV a proper go and couldn't log in cuz I didn't remember my password or the email associated with it. I contacted support and laid out in detail exactly what was going on (old SE account from previous trial, no access to email) and asked to have my email on the that SE account changed so I could access it with my linked PSN ID. Within less than 24 support reset my email to the one I provided, no questions asked.

Now I'm merrily playing the FFXIV trial.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
yeah... I run into this everytime I use one of their products... it's a piece of shit.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
Square has been on that terrible account bullshit since Final Fantasy XI. That thing was GOD awful account-wise.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
You still have my thanks for trying to help me resolve the issue!

It's mindboggling to me. I should be able to log in with any SE-ID. This should be simple, but it just isn't.

They really need to fix this!
I mean, I know from first hand experience that databases can be hard, but SE's shit is uniquely bad

My main email is a fucking mess in SE's system. I somehow have two seperate accounts under the same email, one logging in via the Members login and one logging in via the XI/XIV account login. They are apparently linked to one another, but I depending on how I log in, I access one of two seperate accounts, with two separate usernames, two separate join dates, etc. My reward points and store purchase history are apparently shared across both, but stuff like Avengers shit isn't (going to the code redemption history on the Avengers site produces two seperate pages depending on which account I'm logged in on).

It's a goddamn mess, I'm glad I made my XIV account on a separate email disconnected from the mess happening under my main email

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The fact that the Square Enix service account for stuff like FFXIV and Square Enix Members/Store is a separate thing had tripped me up too. They don't really make it obvious.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Right there with you OP. Played the beta years ago on the PS3 and haven't been able to log in since. I gave up about a year ago after numerous attempts and countless email between myself and Square Enix. They don't want my money and I'm okay with that

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have that much experience dealing with them but the limited time I did spend setting up an account to claim an Avenger's game promo code seemed like a nightmare.

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this why I can't get into those MMO games that made by SE anymore.

I would get back into that again, only if they get their shits together and fix that account system for real.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I have to agree. Trying to sign up for an account during the Avengers Beta was a mess and took several attempts in two different browsers.