• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Shit we get to play as Kamala Khan?! :O

Neat this is great news to my ears as not only do I like Kamala Khan but this is another win in the diversity box as South Asian especially one who is both American/Pakistani and Muslim is even rarer, assuming she's actually voiced and motion capped by a South Asian and not a white person.
Amazing character with cool powerset and also brings much needed diversity. You couldn't ask for a better protagonist tbh.

Jul 13, 2018
How prominent though? Will I be forced to play her 90% of the game? I want to ditch her ASAP for the classic avengers. That's my concern.
This is a tough question to answer since I don't know much in regards to the story (besides early game stuff), but I wouldn't worry. Players will be "forced" to play as Ms. Marvel for the early portion of the game, since she's essentially the driving force behind reassembling the heroes (I won't spoil the reason for the "breakup"). As a matter of fact, at an early point in the story, the team build will consist of Ms. Marvel, Iron Man and Hulk (don't think this has changed). Also, there shouldn't be large gaps in unlocking characters, so you'll get your chance to play as "classic" heroes soon enough.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
Kamala being the protag has me super intrigued, you can do so much with her powerset for moves let alone some potentially crazy set pieces. Cant wait to see this shit in motion now!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean Kamala is cool, but it'd be a risky choice for a main character.

She hasn't gotten into the MCU yet so she isn't exactly super popular outside the comics yet.
The idea is to make more people aware of Ms. Marvel ahead of her MCU debut (see Rocket in UMvC3). Given the Twitter accounts tied to Marvel Studios that are tweeting about the game, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the goal (if the rumors are true).

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The idea is to make more people aware of Ms. Marvel ahead of her MCU debut (see Rocket in UMvC3). Given the Twitter accounts tied to Marvel Studios that are tweeting about the game, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the goal (if the rumors are true).
Seriously. Rocket got soooooooooo much hate when he got announced for MvC3 and look at him now. Kamala has the bonus of already being mega popular.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
This is a tough question to answer since I don't know much in regards to the story (besides early game stuff), but I wouldn't worry. Players will be "forced" to play as Ms. Marvel for the early portion of the game, since she's essentially the driving force behind reassembling the heroes (I won't spoil the reason for the "breakup"). As a matter of fact, at an early point in the story, the team build will consist of Ms. Marvel, Iron Man and Hulk (don't think this has changed). Also, there shouldn't be large gaps in unlocking characters, so you'll get your chance to play as "classic" heroes soon enough.
Ok this is somewhat reassuring.

Jul 13, 2018
Alright guys, I think that's enough questions for today. Again, while I do know SOME aspects of the game, I don't know EVERYTHING. lol

Catch you guys tomorrow! :)

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Shit we get to play as Kamala Khan?! :O

Neat this is great news to my ears as not only do I like Kamala Khan but this is another win in the diversity box as South Asian especially one who is both American/Pakistani and Muslim is even rarer, assuming she's actually voiced and motion capped by a South Asian and not a white person.
Iranian-American actress Kathreen Khavari has been the go-to voice actress for Ms. Marvel since Avengers Assemble, so I'd imagine that they'd have Kathreen reprise her role for the Avengers game.

Seriously. Rocket got soooooooooo much hate when he got announced for MvC3 and look at him now. Kamala has the bonus of already being mega popular.
Exactly, they're probably making sure that her eventual MCU debut is a slam dunk on all fronts.

Alright guys, I think that's enough questions for today. Again, while I do know SOME aspects of the game, I don't know EVERYTHING. lol

Catch you guys tomorrow! :)
We greatly appreciate your info. Thank you.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Iranian-American actress Kathreen Khavari has been the go-to voice actress for Ms. Marvel since Avengers Assemble, so I'd imagine that they'd have Kathreen reprise her role for the Avengers game.

Exactly, they're probably making sure that her eventual MCU debut is a slam dunk on all fronts.

We greatly appreciate your info. Thank you.
No need for Kathreen, we already have the perfect go to Hollywood actress for Asian characters, Scarlett Johansson.

Jokes.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
What I'm interested to see is the art style. I was pretty amazed when we got the first gameplay from Spider-Man and the cool art direction that game took with the character models and the world. I wonder how this will look visually.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Crystal Dynamics? I'm never getting that Gex reboot...

Still, interested to see what this ends up being!

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anywhere else other than this thread that mentioned anything about this game having Kamala Khan?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I can't believe Gex died for this.
474213223738900481.png

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time we're hearing anything about Ms. Marvel being the Avengers game's main character.
Actually I just Googled it and there were some rumblings about her a year ago too.
I didn't see anything at all.

It just doesn't make sense that in a mainline Avengers game, the first person you play as is Ms. Marvel. Not that I don't like her, because I do, I just don't buy that Crystal would put her at the forefront. It doesn't make any sense.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Those two posts come from a guy on YouTube who has already been proven to be a liar. He lied about Rocksteady's game and got outed already.
Didn't know that but it still shows that the rumor has been around. This thread isn't the start of it.

Regardless, I don't think that Squirtle is intentionally lying.

It just doesn't make sense that in a mainline Avengers game, the first person you play as is Ms. Marvel. Not that I don't like her, because I do, I just don't buy that Crystal would put her at the forefront. It doesn't make any sense.
I think it makes perfect sense. She was an Avenger and her being a fan makes her a great viewpoint protagonist.

Jul 13, 2018
Those two posts come from a guy on YouTube who has already been proven to be a liar. He lied about Rocksteady's game and got outed already.
I couldn't help but comment, but yes, that YouTuber was outed as a liar. His videos were most likely taken down to cover his ass. He maybe knew a few things early on, but padded out his content with bs.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it'll be a 3rd person game with lite RPG elements like the above titles (except Deus Ex). It'll have a hub area similar to those found in Tomb Raider and Deus Ex (where you can load into missions) and level/world design similar to Kingdom Hearts (many levels/worlds as opposed to a single open world map).

If the game isn't like this now, I'm going to cry. :/

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I didn't see anything at all.

It's always good to maintain a level of skepticism when it comes to rumors (all due respect to SavageSquirtle91, of course). But at the same time, between all of the Marvel Studios-tied Twitter accounts talking about the game, it would make sense for the Avengers game to feature Ms. Marvel as a main character as a means of getting her out there in the general public's minds ahead of her rumored MCU debut. A similar thing happened with Rocket in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, though that was before Marvel Studios split off from Marvel Entertainment (hence why Marvel Studios accounts tweeting stuff out didn't matter......though Marvel Studios didn't have a Twitter account back then).

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
So Neoxon and I were looking into SavageSquirtle91's Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan claims and it looks like the voice actor for Ms. Marvel in the cartoons (Kathreen Khavari) might be the one who's doing the voiceover in the Avengers Project teaser trailer released two years ago. Try comparing the vids:

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It's always good to maintain a level of skepticism when it comes to rumors (all due respect to SavageSquirtle91, of course). But at the same time, between all of the Marvel Studios-tied Twitter accounts talking about the game, it would make sense for the Avengers game to feature Ms. Marvel as a main character as a means of getting her out there in the general public's minds ahead of her rumored MCU debut. A similar thing happened with Rocket in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, though that was before Marvel Studios split off from Marvel Entertainment (hence why Marvel Studios accounts tweeting stuff out didn't matter......though Marvel Studios didn't have a Twitter account back then).
Marvel's not gonna put Kamala as the main protagonist in an Avengers game to "get her out there more" before a film debut. They'd just put her in the film first and then use that exposure to push her in other parts of media.

And none of that matters anyway because that isn't how Marvel goes about their business.

EDIT: and for clarification, I love Kamala. I just don't think Marvel is gonna make her the star of this game.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So Neoxon and I were looking into SavageSquirtle91's Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan claims and it looks like the voice actor for Ms. Marvel in the cartoons (Kathreen Khavari) might be the one who's doing the voiceover in the Avengers Project teaser trailer released two years ago. Try comparing the vids:

What do y'all think?

I also used this short film as reference for the comparison on my end.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018

What do y'all think?

If you held a gun to my head and asked me to decide then I'd say it definitely sounds like her but speaking objectively I'm not sure if that's just my mind hearing what I want to hear.

Jul 13, 2018
Regardless, I don't think that Squirtle is intentionally lying.
You're correct. I'd never intentionally lie to any of you guys. Obviously, things are subject to change throughout development, but I can confidently state the following details.

-Kamala Khan will 100% be a central protagonist in Avengers Project. The Avengers have been disbanded for a while (due to a "catastrophic" event) and she will play an integral role in reassembling the team.
-Heavy story focus throughout (drawing moreso from comics vs MCU)
-Can be played entirely SOLO with you controlling 1 character and AI taking over the remaining 1-3. Up to 4 player co-op with friends (this # hasn't changed last I heard).
-Crashed Helicarrier will serve as your main hub.
-Kingdom Hearts-like world/level design. Think multiple large worlds/levels vs 1 huge open world map. The levels are large enough to accomodate flight based characters.
-There's definitely no "loot" like you'd find in your typical looter shooter (common - legendary drops). Everything is mostly powers based, hence the character skill trees. For example, you won't be finding Iron Man thrusters of different rarities throughout the map.
-Unless it's changed, Ms. Marvel, Iron Man and Hulk will make up the team build early on in the game (story reason).

There are 1 or 2 spoilery story details that I'm keeping for myself (wouldn't want to ruin it for you guys), but that's the majority of it.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You're correct. I'd never intentionally lie to any of you guys. Obviously, things are subject to change throughout development, but I can confidently state the following details.
  • Kamala Khan will 100% be a central protagonist in Avengers Project. The Avengers have been disbanded for a while (due to a "catastrophic" event) and she will play an integral role in reassembling the team.
  • Heavy story focus throughout (drawing moreso from comics vs MCU)
  • Can be played entirely SOLO with you controlling 1 character and AI taking over the remaining 1-3. Up to 4 player co-op with friends (this # hasn't changed last I heard).
  • Crashed Helicarrier will serve as your main hub.
  • Kingdom Hearts-like world/level design. Think multiple large worlds/levels vs 1 huge open world map. The levels are large enough to accomodate flight based characters.
  • There's definitely no "loot" like you'd find in your typical looter shooter (common - legendary drops). Everything is mostly powers based, hence the character skill trees. For example, you won't be finding Iron Man thrusters of different rarities throughout the map.
  • Unless it's changed, Ms. Marvel, Iron Man and Hulk will make up the team build early on in the game (story reason).
There are 1 or 2 spoilery story details that I'm keeping for myself (wouldn't want to ruin it for you guys), but that's the majority of it.
Thanks for summing it all up in one post.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
So it's like X-Men Legends I where you start off playing in-name-and-powers-only Magma as a POV character but eventually get a full roster of characters?

That's nice, as dated as that game's structure was, it was really nice exploring the universe through the eyes of a newcomer.