• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Something of a follow up to a story from back in June, when Collective boss Phil Elliott tested the waters on making the Legacy of Kain IP available to indie developers.

We've got lots of IP, lots of franchises that we don't do anything with any more. Can we open that up, and actually have developers use that as a stepping stone, and could it be a little easier for them to try to build a name for themselves around that? As opposed to something of their own creation, which is super hard. [...]

Speaking on a personal basis, cause I don't even know if all these IPs are available, I've got a real soft spot for Thief. I'd love to see what an indie team could do with that franchise.

But when I look back through the back catalogue, I think there are lots of things which could be cool, like Anachronox*, or Mini Ninjas, even.

People often ask about Legacy of Kain. We don't have any specific plans there, but if a team came along, they had plans for funding and they had a really cool idea, yeah.

I think the key thing is that we really see the creativity and the passion that comes from the indie layer of this business, and it's incredibly important that that continues to thrive. As I say, we're open-minded, and I think exciting things could potentially come with that.

*Anachronox was already open to pitches a couple of years ago.

It's a bit vague and noncommittal, but between this and the release of the Hitman property, still pleasant to see a few rays of hope for the old Eidos classics while Marvel licensed stuff takes over the AAA division indefinitely.

Also a signal not to expect big budget treatments of these franchises for the foreseeable future (duh).

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I know they also got a pitch from a Western dev for a project based on a Square PS1 game (not a JRPG) and were in discussions about it. Not sure if it went ahead though

Its great to see this happening, I hope it becomes a staple to see projects from indie devs with their old IP's

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Dude WHAT

I know they also got a pitch for a project based on a Square PS1 game (not a JRPG) and were in discussions for it. Not sure if it went ahead though

Ita great to see this happening, I hope it becomes a staple to see projects from indie devs with their old IP's

DUUUDE WHAT

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a new Legacy of Kain game in the style of the PS1 games, though I fear the indie budgeting could cause it to be another 2D styled game (akin to the first Kain)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I should replay Thief 2014. I quit it at one point but I feel I should play through it to properly critique it etc.
Thief GO would be a good start I feel.

A Thief game taking ques from Hitman 2016 would also be a cool idea.

Nov 6, 2017
I want more Thief please. Say what you want about the last one, but I still loved the atmosphere and the asylum and bank levels were great.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the only way I want to see Thief revived right now is with a remake - whatever team that works on it needs to get the basics of the game design down before making their own.

I don't want another THI4F

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I know they also got a pitch for a project based on a Square PS1 game (not a JRPG) and were in discussions for it. Not sure if it went ahead though

Ita great to see this happening, I hope it becomes a staple to see projects from indie devs with their old IP's

The game you're thinking is Fear Effect.

Evil Calvin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis
I think a remastered/ redone version of the original PS1 Legacy Of Kain: Blood Omen would be great. It's a great top-down, lengthy action RPG but has HORRENDOUS load times. If those can be fixed and clean up the visuals a bit then it would be great. It has great voice acting and a great atmosphere. This would be a really good intro to the series before rebooting it. If they can remaster Crash Bandicoot the Blood Omen could be done as well.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Maybe the Neon Struct devs can pick up Thief for their next game :)

Going a little less minimalist but still low-fi (think Dusk- watch the next trailer on the page, not the one it starts at btw) would be fine by me. Basically Thief II level visuals without the tech constraints of the time.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
There was that potential, but not confirmed, Denis Dyack involved pitch from last year.

Zk3F1La.png

XSZv7uB.png

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can tell who's a legacy console gamer in this thread and who isn't.

Thief 1 and 2 are easily better overall than anything produced in the lok series.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
You can tell who's a legacy console gamer in this thread and who isn't.

Thief 1 and 2 are easily better overall than anything produced in the lok series.

My problem with Thief is that I only liked The Dark Project, whereas with LoK I liked a few of them (Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, and Soul Reaver 2).

I'd say Thief is more deserving/could benefit more from a good new entry though. All I'd really want from LoK is an updated version of Blood Omen.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
The game you're thinking is Fear Effect.
No, thats an Eidos game and that project has been announced, Im talking about a Squaresoft PS1 game (again, not a JRPG) that they received a pitch for this year and were in discussions about it, but I dont know if it has been greenlight

Just an example that they are open and getting pitches for classic revivals

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
No, thats an Eidos game and that project has been announced, Im talking about a Squaresoft PS1 game (again, not a JRPG) that they received a pitch for this year and were in discussions about it, but I dont know if it has been greenlight

Just an example that they are open and getting pitches for classic revivals
Treasure pitched Einhander? Please!

Last edited:

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kain without Hennig is just not worth it IMO but I'm so thirsty for anything new on that universe that I'll take whatever I can get at this point.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't they just reboot Thief? I dunno what made Thief so damn memorable was some game design choices that's been deemed uncouth by modern standards.

Instead of trying to redo Thief again I'd rather see more Deus Ex, preferably with a new protagonist and a story that's good unlike Mankind Divided's snoozer of a plot.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play the originals, but they ran on the same engine of the TR games which I am fond of.

My worry is, we can be all hype. But will this have modern AAA HUD and mechanic trope trappings? I'd appreciate a mid tier game, maybe with a Souls/Borne/Nioh kind of thing going on (thematically would fit well).

Look at what they've done to Tomb Raider :/

Edit: My bad, runs on a different engine. Screenshots remind me of the polygonal look of TR a lot.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess a cheap indie, overhead blood omen sequel with Kain still voiced by Simon Templeman could be better than nothing.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I would love a remake of LoK. Top-down action RPG with an awesome story, combat and puzzles. Give it to Obsidian, they can do it.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dont care what anyone says I really liked this gens thief. I played it with all HUD icons removed and it was great fun.

And yes I'm a thief vet that played the first two on pc when they came out and the Xbox version.

Psxdad

Oct 27, 2017
I would love it, but after so many cancelled LoK games my hopes aren't high. Can I at least get a PS4 collection?