Dec 11, 2017
India
  • In FY23, digital sales in Japan were 3.14 million units which increased to 4.68 million in FY24.
  • For North America and Europe, the figures grew from 10.79 million to 12.91 million units sold.
  • In their region "Asia, etc.", which I'm assuming is a collective of rest of the continents, sales increased from 1.92 million to 2.60 million units sold.

In terms of physical copies,
  • North America and Europe saw a decline from 3.69 million to 3.48 million units sold during FY24.
  • Japan saw a decrease from 2.19 million units to 1.95 million units sold,
  • While the "Asia, etc." region saw a minimal decline from 720K units to 700K units sold.

In terms of net sales from video games, Square Enix saw an increase of approx. 1.06% year-on-year from $1.57 billion to $1.59 billion(approximate figures due to currency conversion from YEN to USD). The company sold 26.32 million units in total compared to FY23's 20.19 million units.

Square-Enix-Games-Achieve-a-Whopping-5-Million-Surge-in-Digital-Sales-Physical-Sales-Decline-Spiel-Times.png

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
1.95 physical vs 4.68 digital in Japan is crazy.
Guess the weekly physical japanese sales threads might run into a problem this year of being almost irrelevant?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess the weekly physical japanese sales threads might run into a problem this year of being almost irrelevant?
The digital number includes MMO titles so it's not really indicative of a sea change. A huge chunk of that number is most likely XIV related (Dawntrail went up for pre-order).

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I wonder how much of this is actually factoring in FFXIV Dawntrail pre-orders opening about 5 days before the end of the fiscal year? IIRC it was already announced that Dawntrail pre-orders exceeded Endwalker pre-orders in the same period of time, and the SE website was even having issues processing the amount of people trying to get in to pre-order it for the first few days.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I wonder how much of this is actually factoring in FFXIV Dawntrail pre-orders opening about 5 days before the end of the fiscal year? IIRC it was already announced that Dawntrail pre-orders exceeded Endwalker pre-orders in the same period of time, and the SE website was even having issues processing the amount of people trying to get in to pre-order it for the first few days.

Its exceeding EW preorders? Didnt expect that (end of an arc hype etc).

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The digital number includes MMO titles so it's not really indicative of a sea change. A huge chunk of that number is most likely XIV related (Dawntrail went up for pre-order).
Dawntrail went up for pre-order like 2 days before the cutoff. I doubt that was a relevant amount of digital sale units. Most of the sales would be at launch/early access anyways.

DQX did have a major expansion in March which may be a good boost but this is still a substantial overall increase.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dawntrail went up for pre-order like 2 days before the cutoff. I doubt that was a relevant amount of digital sale units. Most of the sales would be at launch/early access anyways.

DQX did have a major expansion in March which may be a good boost but this is still a substantial overall increase.
Dawntrail's preorders opening generated so much traffic that at least in North America the entire Square Enix storefront went down. Also it's less about whether Dawntrail numbers specifically would be included into this digital number (they probably wouldn't for this FY) and more about the fact that XIV hype drives the digital sector. That, combined with catalog sales and distribution-only titles, have more of a bearing on the digital number being that high rather than the Japan audience moving away from physical for major new releases.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Dawntrail's preorders opening generated so much traffic that at least in North America the entire Square Enix storefront went down. Also it's less about whether Dawntrail numbers specifically would be included into this digital number (they probably wouldn't for this FY) and more about the fact that XIV hype drives the digital sector. That, combined with catalog sales and distribution-only titles, have more of a bearing on the digital number being that high rather than the Japan audience moving away from physical for major new releases.
You think Dawntrail sold millions in Japan in 5 days?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

For Japan, DQX would likely be a bigger contributor than FFXIV anyway. The expansion would definitely be a major digital driver in the region this FY, likely the biggest looking at the rest of SE's lineup.

Also DQM3 was heavily supply constrained at launch likely leading to much higher than usual digital sales over the New Year's holiday. It was also SE's biggest Japanese seller this FY so that probably made a substantial impact. SO2R was supply constrained as well, at least on Switch and initially PS5, though it was a much less major title.

Console versions of the FF Pixel Remasters also likely lean heavy digital and there's a question as to how they might be counted (6 digital SKUs vs 1 physical). There were some other notable digital only late ports this FY too (Live A Live PC/PS, DQ Builders PC, FFXIV Xbox) but none of them seem like especially big sellers for Japan specifically.

FFXVI and Rebirth had ample supply so likely the usual digital ratio for single player AAAA massmarket stuff (ballpark 30-40% based on Sony's own games globally). Foamstars and Dai both megabombed so those are pretty much out of consideration either way.

Taito also had multiple consumer releases this FY and while they're relatively niche (Ray'z Arcade Chronology, Taito LD Collection, Puzzle Bobble Everybubble, Taito Milestones 2, etc) they also lean heavy digital. Same for SE Europe with some late Switch ports (Life is Strange Collection, Circuit Superstars) and multiple Powerwash Simulator DLCs. None of these likely had a huge impact on Japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Did SE release any HD games besides FFXVI (was that included this year?), Rebirth and Dark Prince?
I mentioned most of them in my earlier post but to list out SE's HD game releases this FY:
  • Circuit Superstars (NSW)
  • Dragon Quest X Online: The Slumbering Girl and the Door to the Future (NSW, PC, PS4)
  • Dragon Quest Builders (PC)
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince (NSW)
  • Dragon Quest Treasures (PC)
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online (XBS)
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online: Dawntrail (PC, PS4, PS5, XBS) preorder
  • Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)
  • Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series (NSW, PS4)
  • Foamstars (PS4, PS5)
  • Infinity Strash - Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (NSW, PC, PS4, PS5, XBS)
  • Ketsugou Danshi: Elements with Emotions (NSW)
  • Life is Strange Remastered Collection (NSW)
  • Little Goody Two Shows (NSW, PC, PS5, XBS)
  • Live A Live (PC, PS4, PS5)
  • PowerWash Simulator (NSW, PC, PS4, PS5, XBO, XBS) multiple DLCs
  • Star Ocean: The Second Story R (NSW, PC, PS4, PS5)
Plus Taito!
  • Puzzle Bobble Everybubble! (NSW)
  • Ray'z Arcade Chronology (NSW, PC, PS4)
  • Taito Milestones 2 (NSW)
  • Taito LD Game Collection (NSW)
  • The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors (PC)

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much these two may have contributed to the sharp decreases in OC:

• Foamstars (PS4, PS5)
  • Infinity Strash - Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (NSW, PC, PS4, PS5, XBS)

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017

Not sure how you can infer this based on what is presented. They state that the digital entertainment profits are down due to (among other things) "higher development cost amortization and content production account valuation losses". The breakdown on slides 10, 11 and 12 reconcile to slide 9. So it must have been allocated somewhere which would likely be HD Games.

Not saying that the division is otherwise healthy.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Ratio-wise have they released more or less physical games to digital? Also, the quality of all those games will have an effect on these numbers. It's a pretty meaningless comparison imo.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah makes sense. Physical will remain important but less so. Even countries like Japan that love physical media will eventually shift. It's just how things work. I do hope that physical media will always be an option for those that want it.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Did SE release any HD games besides FFXVI (was that included this year?), Rebirth and Dark Prince?

I know this has already been answered extensively but this is Square Enix within the last few years, you should have known they released 15 games in that time period you never heard of

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not really when digital is so much more than just game sales and they don't put their big games on the system with the biggest retail/physical presence.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like XVI is doing okay if they still feel confident it will hit the 18 months goal.

I can't imagine what would have hurt its momentum though like releasing another mainline Final Fantasy only 8 months later lol (and marketing that FF taking attention away).

Rebirth didn't even hit initial sales goal but we knew that already from the silence.

I'll still wait from another source though since Mochizuki has a history of misconstruing things.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Seems like XVI is doing okay if they still feel confident it will hit the 18 months goal.
I wouldn't draw this conclusion because so far for the last several years Square Enix has shown themselves incapable of making accurate long term projections. When faced with a lack of visible success, you can't do much more than pretend to be optimistic about something up until the facts show otherwise.

By saying they are confident of this, they simply by themselves more time until the end of this year, before they have to respond to shareholders again and announce that it has in fact failed to hit 18 month expectations, but it still sold "okay" and "helped expand the audience demographic" or some shit like that.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Probably a random thread for this but what the hell happened to that Dragon Quest III remake?
Small game like that announced 3 years ago still not out?

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
It's crazy to me that dawntrail has more pre-orders, the hype for EW seemed way higher. This might be some time frame trickery on SE's end.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
It's crazy to me that dawntrail has more pre-orders, the hype for EW seemed way higher. This might be some time frame trickery on SE's end.
It's possible. IIRC the Endwalker hype was ultimately something that built up over time, the FFXIV community was super active in spreading word of the game that year. A lot of new players were taking weeks and months to play through the whole game to catch up, and wouldn't have pre-ordered the expansion immediately. Dawntrail has the advantage of having a larger caught up audience that was brought in by Endwalker to begin with, even if the hype seems a lot more muted in comparison.